Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: Would you buy the Ford Figo / Aspire Sports Edition?
Yes 187 70.04%
No (please specify choice of car in your post) 80 29.96%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2017, 16:54   #16
BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Ford Figo / Aspire Sports Edition?

The Figo sports is really VFM, no two ways about it. If only it had the earlier ford's DNA and built it would have been a reassuring yes. I would better go for the Punto Abarth for vault like built quality, precise steering and 4 discs all around. If its diesel, GT TDI it would be.

Last edited by Waspune : 23rd May 2017 at 16:58.
Waspune is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:16   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
What build quality? Global NCAP classifies the body structure of the Figo as unstable. To me the body shell felt like a tin can.
Aspire got 3-star safety rating by NCAP crash test for a 2-airbag model which is quite good considering everyone seems to tear it apart for its "flimsy" body shell

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4158214

What do you think would be the rating for a 6-air bag model of Aspire? Will it be safe to assume it will get a 4-star rating which is the highest a manufacturer can aim for since 5-stars are very few and rare?
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:18   #18
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I voted no.

Why?

It doesn't have the 1.0 EcoBoost or even the 1.5 Ti-VCT (paired to a manual) under its hood. The diesel gets 100 PS, the petrol doesn't. It needs the 1.0 EcoBoost under the hood (at least in its 100 PS guise).

If I simply had to buy a diesel (which I won't), then the Figo/Aspire S looks like a good choice. But still I won't buy it. Why? Because the sports variants correspond to the Titanium variants in terms of equipment. And that disappointingly means no side & curtain airbags, which are not even available as an option on the S. I'd rather buy a regular Figo/Aspire Titanium+ or Titanium(O), and upgrade its footwear.

Last edited by RSR : 23rd May 2017 at 17:30.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Aspire got 3-star safety rating by NCAP crash test for a 2-airbag mode
Unfortunately a deeper problem lurks as quoted from Global NCAP's 64 kmph crash report :
" The bodyshell was rated as unstable and it was not capable of withstanding any further loadings "
A 3 star rating without the above statement is way more significant.

Voted for no solely due to the crash ratings. Need a safer car for my next purchase.

Last edited by rajathv8 : 23rd May 2017 at 17:35.
rajathv8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:34   #20
BHPian

Voted Yes. Will probably be the replacement for my Getz CRDI, probably, not certain. Only things missing or lacking on the Getz is the safety package and brakes, else not really keen to part with it.
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:41   #21
BHPian

Voted Nay.
Reason? Already own a GT Tsi and have been spoilt silly by that gear box
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:01   #22
BHPian

I voted YES because:
  1. Loads of fun without burning a hole in the pocket.
  2. Tasteful mods in the sports editions by Ford barring the S decals.
  3. The dual tone black and white alloys on black colored Figo Sports Edition. Wish they were standard on Sports Edition of Figo and Aspire.
  4. The downward trend in maintenance costs of Ford. Parts being available off the shelf also helps.
  5. Diesels have good resale value in comparison to petrol, especially Ford.
  6. All black interiors vs the unpractical beige interiors of regular editions.
  7. The car is not perfect, however it does appeal as a package. Add a touchscreen system, rear camera and DRL's. Wish Ford had given the option of 6 Airbags like the regular models.
  8. Regarding build quality, we buy truckloads of Maruti, then why not Ford? I agree a better build quality is missing, however it will not be as bad as Maruti?

Last edited by PraNeel : 23rd May 2017 at 18:07.
PraNeel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Aspire got 3-star safety rating by NCAP crash test for a 2-airbag model which is quite good considering everyone seems to tear it apart for its "flimsy" body shell

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4158214

What do you think would be the rating for a 6-air bag model of Aspire? Will it be safe to assume it will get a 4-star rating which is the highest a manufacturer can aim for since 5-stars are very few and rare?
It did get 3 stars but if you look further in the PDF it is apparent that the car ain't great. The body shell integrity is stated as unstable which basically means it can't take any further loading.

So a speed higher than 64 Kph will lead to significantly higher chance of injury due to deformation of the body shell. More airbags will not help if the body shell is not structurally sound. 6 airbag variant for India is simply a gimmick.

If you look at the results on the crash test dummy, you'll notice that the protection in chest region of the driver is classified as weak. This means there is severe chance of injury to the chest.

Please do not take the star ratings at face value. Look at the report to make a sensible decision.

The pdf is located here:

http://www.globalncap.org/wp-content...o-2Airbags.pdf

Edit: I am attaching the images of the results for the Polo vs Figo. Look at the impact to the chest region of the dummy
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy the Ford Figo / Aspire Sports Edition?-polo.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by reignofchaos : 23rd May 2017 at 18:22.
reignofchaos is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post

Edit: I am attaching the images of the results for the Polo vs Figo. Look at the impact to the chest region of the dummy
True, Polo is slightly more safer car than Figo and no two words. But does that make Polo a better car or package? Not necessarily. Engine refinement, space on offer, price, dieselgate etc. negatives are a plenty with Polo as well. I had a Vento 1.6 TDi and was a pretty good car but was quite unreliable/parts were expensive and came with its own set of issues. The performance of 1.6 would mask all the negatives but now with 1.5 mill they don't feel special anymore.
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:59   #25
BHPian

I am already owning aspire and its yes for me for the driving fun it gives at a value price point. I know it does not match the polo interior quality but the service cost compare to polo makes you smile again and again.
Old 23rd May 2017, 19:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
True, Polo is slightly more safer car than Figo and no two words. But does that make Polo a better car or package? Not necessarily. Engine refinement, space on offer, price, dieselgate etc. negatives are a plenty with Polo as well. I had a Vento 1.6 TDi and was a pretty good car but was quite unreliable/parts were expensive and came with its own set of issues. The performance of 1.6 would mask all the negatives but now with 1.5 mill they don't feel special anymore.
Buddy it all depends upon the priorities we set while buying a car. No car is perfect and has its set of flaws. Some would go for better built, some would go for better FE etc.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 19:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Buddy it all depends upon the priorities we set while buying a car. No car is perfect and has its set of flaws. Some would go for better built, some would go for better FE etc.
Exactly my point, being slightly inferior w.r.to safety alone doesn't make Figo a bad car. Had figo been 1 star and Polo a 3 star, there would be no question on which is a better car, which is not the case here.
Old 23rd May 2017, 19:55   #28
BHPian

Voted "Yes".

(+) for Figo when compared to Polo TSi.
Practical choice. I believe Ford's manual diesel is reliable in long run, should be easy on pocket for any major repair compared to Polo TSI.
Ford's After Sales Service is better than VW.
No matter what, horror stories of DSG is still on people's mind somewhere. With what I hear from my friends (who own Ford cars), Ford offers peace of mind, and spares / service are also cheaper now.
Figo/Aspire should offer better fuel economy IMO.
Old 23rd May 2017, 20:28   #29
BANNED

Yes I would gladly buy that over any other car under 10 Lacs. I bought my Ford Figo 1.5D Base on January 5, 2016 for 6.17 Lacs, On-Road. I don't think any other car in that price range(6-7 Lacs) can offer me as much in terms of Performance, FE and low maintenance. I have put 29k kms in these 17 months. Regarding interiors being unattractive, I feel that its a better compromise than having an awesome interior with lesser performance. When It comes to looks, I didn't even bother choosing the color and happily accepted the silver instead of white, the color that they pried out of me when filling out the order.

We also have purchased an Ameo recently on May 17, 2017.

This was chosen in haste when my Parents finally agreed to change their 2006 Indica Xeta 1.6 GLS. They initially fixed the bugdet at 4 Lacs, test drove Tiago, but suddenly doubled it and were on the verge of booking Zest for 7.6 Lacs. This was after spending three hours at the showroom. If I took the Indica home it will remain there till the expiry of Life tax. Determined not to let my parents, who have started driving the car frequently, drive the Indica again, I dragged them to VW showroom, which was adjacent to TATA and paid 7.75 lacs for the Ameo Trendline. I tried to get to booking Aspire or KUV100 among other choices but, because a host of freak reasons,was forced to settle for Ameo because that's the max I could do after the business hours of that day. My Dad's need for ethereal 'prestige', which he didn't express but I understood, was also one of the reason for me not trying hard enough. He gleamed as he glanced at the Blue Polo before entering the TATA showroom and quipped whether we would be able go for that.

After the delivery, my Dad offered to give me the the Ameo and keep the Figo instead. I craved to flaunt a VW, but simply couldn't choose to give up Figo for Ameo. My Dad too was pleasantly surprised when he got to drive the Figo, Which he chose to only after buying the Ameo(and having driven the Ameo for over 500Kms). He maintained a healthy pace and I, being ultra sedate, could barely keep up. He said that the Figo prances like a Horse in comparison to Ameo.

Figo has a huge advantage over Ameo under 80kmph, which is my comfort zone on the highway. The accelerator need to be gently felt, let alone pressed to maintain the speed. The FE is also expected to be much higher than in Ameo( which is yet to have the first fill).
Stating from the recent Car Hunt, Figo wins hands down over Polo/Ameo, Swift/Dzire, Grand i10/Xcent, i20, Micra, Kuv100, Punto, Amaze and Jazz.

People who compare my 6.17 Lac car(Which even today costs just 6.6 Lacs, on-road) to a 10Lac car can also compare their choice with some 12 Lacs car and find their choice wanting in both performance and prestige.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy the Ford Figo / Aspire Sports Edition?-img_20170514_081526.000.jpg  

Last edited by COMMUTER : 23rd May 2017 at 20:37.
COMMUTER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 20:58   #30
BHPian

Yes ! We brought home our new Figo S in its diesel avatar last sunday.
After driving a swift ZDi for 64k kms let me say, I am smitten by the performance of the Figo diesel. I have completed only 150kms and the only downers I have felt were
1. Both the interior plastic quality as well as the exteriors panel quality could have been better.
2. The steering is light when I compare it to the Swift. It is a welcome addition when the car is driven in the city. The feel when I am behind the steering wheel of my swift is missing here.
3. When the doors are closed, let me tell frankly it sounds cheap (every time I double checks if the doors are properly closed or not).
4. The anti stall feature , makes the drive a little disconnected and less involving.
5. All the exterior changes in the Figo S are a welcome addition to me except the decals on the rear bumper.

I am not a technical person, so all my comments are based on what I have felt after driving the car in person.

Last edited by VishnuNarayanan : 23rd May 2017 at 21:02.
VishnuNarayanan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed