Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Honda WR-V 50 12.89%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 68 17.53%
Ford EcoSport 241 62.11%
Hyundai i20 Active 7 1.80%
Fiat Avventura 9 2.32%
Toyota Etios Cross 6 1.55%
Mahindra TUV300 7 1.80%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2017, 12:07   #16
BANNED

Re: Poll: Honda WR-V vs the competition

Omg, just look at those poll results!! They are so different from the market dynamics right now. Us Bhpians clearly have a different mindset while buying a car, something that I have noticed firsthand when few aquiantances bought a new car. They don't care if it's got just a 1.2 L engine, or if it's basically just a jacked up hatch. Features and Fuel efficiency is all.

Whereas we look at the car as a whole with a lot of focus on the way it drives and feels as a whole, whether cut price or unsafe. This explains the EcoSport's dominance even 4 years after its launch. This also goes to show that there is only 2 real players in the compact SUV space and it is a great place where anybody can start entering. Chevrolet could have avoided going out of business if they would have brought the Trax here, but oh well.
Old 8th June 2017, 12:34   #17
BHPian

I would pick up the Avventura/Urban Cross with the abarth engine if I am looking at this segment. When other stable manufacturers are shying away from introducing good petrol varaints in this segment, Fiat and Ford have done a good job in providing the T-JET and Ecoboost respectively.

Ecosport would be in a strong contention as well, specially if its the diesel as I already own 90 HP MJD

Reasons for shortlisting the above cars are as below:

1) Great ride and handling combo.
2) Great steering specially the Fiat HPS.
3) Loads of power in petrol variants and frugal diesel variants with good mid-range.
4) Great built quality.
5) GC: 205mm and 200 mm in Fiat and Ford respectively.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 13:39   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Like all other polls on TBhp this one too will have a clear winner but that won't be remotely synonymous to monthly sales chart results as no matter how good a product is, unless its from Maruti/Hyundai there's no chance in hell for it to succeed in numbers
That's because the buying population of the country isn't made up of informed car buyers or enthusiasts.

That said, the EcoSport is holding steady at the 3,500 - 4,000 monthly sales level. Says a lot about the product if you consider its age (now over 4 years old) & the Ford backing (incomparable to a Maruti or Hyundai push).
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 13:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
no matter how good a product is, unless its from Maruti/Hyundai there's no chance in hell for it to succeed in numbers
As per May 2017 sales figures, most probably, the combined sales of all other models in the poll is lower than that of Brezza (using "Probably" because standalone sales figures of i20 Active, Avventura and Etios Liva Cross isn't available).

Last edited by DImPo : 8th June 2017 at 14:01.
Old 8th June 2017, 14:30   #20
BHPian

Voted for the Ecosport.

Given its futuristic styling, sturdy build, tail mounted spare wheel, explosive engine options, sweet alloys and decent handling, the Ecosport ticks the right boxes. Besides, it stands in closest proximity to the segment (SUV) it tends to imitate.

Rest others just fall short in one way or the other, thus making them more of an "alternative after compromising" sort of thing.
Old 8th June 2017, 14:34   #21
BHPian

Maybe the market thinks otherwise, but my decision to go with a 4 year old car in the Ecosport 1.5 TDCi is vindicated by this poll. I see the poll results, and the wife is wondering why I have this huge (and stupid) grin plastered across my face.

Been driving the car for 6 months now and it is the perfect car for urban commutes as well as long haul highway trips. For someone upgrading from an entry or mid-level hatch, the cabin width is a non-issue, trust me. Also, cannot imagine going back to the build quality of a Hyundai or Maruti after experiencing Ford.

Last edited by Pequod : 8th June 2017 at 14:38.
Old 8th June 2017, 14:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Ecosport. Easy to select a winner, the reasons are pretty simple-only car to offer 6 airbags, best build quality(Feels even more solid than so called German tanks), Best in class engine options which are frugal and fun.Add to these, the car is fairly reliable( I made the Ladakh circuit from Bangalore without a puncture), dirt cheap to maintain and Ford A.S.S is pretty good.
The sales will always tell a different story, that does not necessarily mean the highest selling car is the best. Maruti/Hyundai sell more car because of their accessibility and notion of being cheap to maintain.
Old 8th June 2017, 14:56   #23
BHPian

Like others said, I was surprised to see the EcoSport gaining such a huge majority of votes. But I just drove the EcoSport last week for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer build quality of the car. I have driven almost all the other cars listed in this poll, but the Ford sure takes the cake.

By the way, I remember Ford reduced the pricing up to 2 lacs on Ecosport when Brezza was launched. They later increased the pricing again. Is the price now the same as when it was originally launched?

On another note, I guess I opened the pandora's box at the ford dealership here by asking them about the rumors of Ford shutting shop like GM. The worry on the salesman's face was conspicuous in spite of his efforts to hide it!
Old 8th June 2017, 14:59   #24
BHPian

Give the market a touchscreen infotainment system (with crappy speakers) and LED DRLs along with a claimed 20kmpl+ mileage tag and they will lap it up like no tomorrow! Mass Market doesn't care about the engine, performance, handling, stability and the least of all, safety. The latter are all the things that we TBHPians care about! No wonder this poll is so skewed when it comes to the actual market/sales data.

There are cars you can buy with money - but - that grin on a TBHPian's face when they are driving a 'petrolhead' car - priceless!
Old 8th June 2017, 15:03   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally speaking, I wouldn't buy any cars in this segment. If people call it Compact Utility Vehicles, I always read it as Compromise Utility Vehicle. I remember a dialogue from the movie Lakshya "Ghaas kaaTne waala bano, lekin accha ghaas kaaTo"

Leaving aside what I would do in real, If I assume that I have to buy one, It will definitely be an Ecosport.
Brezza...I must be out of my mind to spend so much of my money on a MS car.
WRV...Was really impressed with the "BIG" feel (although the exterior dimensions are smaller than the ES). This would be my second pick.
Roomy interiors, good features, high seating position and good visibility, WRV has everything that goes it's way. But ES, has some sort of character (barring automatic) to please an enthusiast IMO. And not to forget the 6 airbags
Others are mere hatchbacks with heels!
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 15:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

EcoSport for me and I have already spent money on it last year, though WRV per say was not there as a competition.

The Honda quality has gone down in last couple of years, not sure why they are loosing identity in order compete with MSIL (no offence intended), but for sure they have truncated their portfolio - removing majority of premium offerings and even in mass market, the product line is nowhere close to what Honda is known for. The only saving grace is iVTec which is better compared to others.

Would not buy Honda's mass market offerings. If I have the requirement, I can still spend on a CRV in their present lineup !
Old 8th June 2017, 16:08   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self Driven View Post
Voted for the Ecosport
I did too! But -

Quote:
The steering is light - Don't understand what a heavy steerring will feel like then.
The old generation Ikon, Fiesta and Figo. Light and precise - The second generation Fiesta.

Ecosport, though decent is nowhere close to these predecessors from Ford stable itself.

Quote:
I think still the 1st Gen Ecosport comments are repeated
Aren't we still in the first gen? Even the midlife facelift is yet to launch.

Quote:
Cabin is Narrower - I totally agree, but 5 people is a squeeze here and other cars could be better don't know how. I have sat in the back seat in my own car - for the record
Oh yes it's true. Except for the case of Urban Cross / Avventura. This is one of the biggest weakness of the Ecosport.

Elite i20, and Etios Liva have a wider rear bench. WRV based on the MPVish hatchback Jazz has even more space, so does the Brezza designed for India. TUV 3OO is well, on a different league altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
The only saving grace is iVTec which is better compared to others.
May I ask how a 90ps 1.2L NA engine is a saving grace in this segment with a 90ps 1.5L NA engine having a lot more torque, 123ps 1.0 Ecoboost and a 140ps 1.4L Tjet? Probably the 1.0 Boosterjet to join soon as well!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th June 2017 at 16:29.
Old 8th June 2017, 16:37   #28
BHPian

Brezza is a complete package with no negatives. I like its broad seats and room inside the cabin when compared to the EcoSport.

That said, a car is not just the cabin space or seating comfort, where the ES excels is the handling and engine department. A clear winner in these areas. For me the ride quality of the Avventura compared here is the best of all.

It is near impossible to find a Compact SUV that has all the qualities but easy to find one with most important ones in your priority list. to each his own

Last edited by navin : 8th June 2017 at 16:41. Reason: line spacing added
Old 8th June 2017, 16:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Like all other polls on TBhp this one too will have a clear winner but that won't be remotely synonymous to monthly sales chart results as no matter how good a product is, unless its from Maruti/Hyundai there's no chance in hell for it to succeed in numbers

Agree, and yet I would rather go with the Ecosport than anything else. Sure, the Brezza looks nicer, sure Hyundai gives (I think) a few more bells and whistles. Of course, when someone spends 10 lakh plus on a vehicle, he expects a certain amount of comfort features. And they are there in the Ecosport.
What it also gives is more safety features besides a stronger body. A small test drive and simply opening and closing the doors of an Ecosport gives a feeling of reassurance compared to others. And personally, I would any day pick a car with enough safety features than a touchscreen infotainment system or additional ac vents. Maybe
Also, for some reason despite all the tremendous refinement in the industry, I am still partial to petrol vi-a-vis diesel and so unless MSIL plonks one in Brezza, I won't go near it!
Old 8th June 2017, 16:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The old generation Ikon, Fiesta and Figo. Light and precise - The second generation Fiesta.
I am not saying its very precise(since I owned the Global Fiesta for a year) but its not light for sure. Having driven the Hondas and Hyundais

Quote:
Aren't we still in the first gen? Even the midlife facelift is yet to launch.
The Ecosport went through two times of correction if I am not wrong and the steering was tweaked. so my comment should have been corrections not Generation

Quote:
Oh yes it's true. Except for the case of Urban Cross / Avventura. This is one of the biggest weakness of the Ecosport.
Elite i20, and Etios Liva have a wider rear bench. WRV based on the MPVish hatchback Jazz has even more space, so does the Brezza designed for India. TUV 3OO is well, on a different league altogether.
Yes I leave the TUV 300 out, but if 5 is a squeeze in Ecosport, its not a breeze in other cars is what my contention is

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks