Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Honda WR-V 50 12.89%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 68 17.53%
Ford EcoSport 241 62.11%
Hyundai i20 Active 7 1.80%
Fiat Avventura 9 2.32%
Toyota Etios Cross 6 1.55%
Mahindra TUV300 7 1.80%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 11:26   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Poll: Honda WR-V vs the competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Price would be the biggest constraint.
I forgot to mention one thing in my previous post. If WR-V's dash is provided (including 7" AVN) in current BR-V then I will be more than happy to pay more for that. The front and rear design of BR-V is much better than WR-V in my books even though it is based on Brio platform and side resembles Mobilio. I had tested BR-V 1.5 CVT and was totally astonished. But Ecosport DCT hardly impressed me.
Old 9th June 2017, 11:28   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

My vote - None of the above. After looking at the specs and the cars, I did some cost comparison and here is how it looks on-road Bangalore for the diesel models (carwale on-road price):

WR-V VX MT 12.5L
i20 Active 1.4 SX 11.85L
Vitarra Brezza ZDi+ 11.85L
Ecosport Titatinum+ 12.92L
TUV300 T8 mHawk100 11.23L

Its been a little less that 1.5 yrs since I picked up my TUV and the price has gone up by almost 1L. Given the current on road, would I seriously consider the TUV if I was in the market for a new car? No!

Would I consider any of the other compact SUVs?No!

The S Cross Zeta 1.3 costs 11.7L on-road Bangalore. Why would I not buy that or the Ciaz? With each passing year, the used car market only seems to be becoming more & more value for money!
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 12:08   #48
BHPian

I voted for EcoSport.

For buying a car from this segment,one need to decide on the level of sacrifice he can make on safety front.
For me among options available, EcoSport is the one on which minimum sacrifice is required.
It boasts a combination of 6 airbags, solid built,ABS,ESP which is an alien to this segment. Only thing I can complain on this front is lack of rear discs.
Old 9th June 2017, 15:28   #49
BHPian

I own a 2007 Skoda Fabia and my Father in law just purchased an automatic Ford Ecosport.

Yesterday at my office we had to take a few boxes of training material to a venue. My colleague has a WRV and we decided to take the boxes in our cars. in the parking I realized that my car could fit three boxes ( sixe 2.5 ft x1 ft) and the WRV could fit only 2. This was an eye-opener for me cause I believed that the WRV which is a modified Jazz would be much more spacious. But its not.

The Ecosport of my FIL is a dream to drive and is very well put together nearly as good if not better than my Skoda. The WRV felt lighter built and the cosmetics are also not so well put toghether the panel gaps are un-even.

I think most of the compared cars are essentially hatch backs with cosmetic changes. Only the Brezza and Ford can be called compact SUV.

My choice will be the Ford hands down. The WRV,Etios Cross, i20 Active and WRV are all just hatch backs and in that case the aventura is the best built in my opinion.
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 15:34   #50
BHPian

Voted for Ecosport, We do have an Ecosport Petrol(Ecoboost),

1) Top levels of NVH qualities the engine have some clatter outside ,nothing can be heard inside.
2) The turbo petrol is very enticing.
3) Chiller of an Air conditioner.
4) Build seems very solid,
5) Decent Dynamics.
6) I have never felt the steering to be that light, I had a Punto 90Ps before.
7) Decent Value for money Package after the price cuts.
Old 9th June 2017, 22:37   #51
BHPian

Voted for Brezza. Ecosport is excellent vehicle but picked Brezza for fantastic exterior looks, wide and spacious cabin, features, and MSS reliability and network. Drove Ecosport diesel recently. All is well except the so old looking dash and narrow cabin. If Brezza was available in petrol, would have considered it for purchase.
Old 13th June 2017, 12:59   #52
BHPian

With no doubt voted for Ecosport here. At the same time I find the WRV (with sunroof) and the S-cross 200 very practical cars here. Wonder why S-Cross 200 was not included here as it also falls in the same price bracket.
After owning a sedan for 5 years I have a feeling that these cars are very practical, especially in their ability to carry large cargo by folding the rear seat down, with high ground clearance and very good ride quality in city speeds too.
Old 13th June 2017, 14:56   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
My vote - None of the above. After looking at the specs and the cars, I did some cost comparison and here is how it looks on-road Bangalore for the diesel models (carwale on-road price):

WR-V VX MT 12.5L
i20 Active 1.4 SX 11.85L
Vitarra Brezza ZDi+ 11.85L
Ecosport Titatinum+ 12.92L
TUV300 T8 mHawk100 11.23L

Its been a little less that 1.5 yrs since I picked up my TUV and the price has gone up by almost 1L. Given the current on road, would I seriously consider the TUV if I was in the market for a new car? No!

Would I consider any of the other compact SUVs?No!

The S Cross Zeta 1.3 costs 11.7L on-road Bangalore. Why would I not buy that or the Ciaz? With each passing year, the used car market only seems to be becoming more & more value for money!
Same thought process and i found extreme value for money by buying a 2 1/2 year old XUV500 W8 six months back much lesser than the OTR prices mentioned above.
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 15:15   #54
BHPian

I voted the WR-V.

Liked most things about it. The roomy, spacious cabin, the looks, the GC, the Interior Quality, the Sunroof. Even the Diesel Engine noise isn't a bad as it's made out to be. My other car is an Innova (previous gen) and the Honda's much quieter than the Toyota.

I'm in the market for a personal ride after about two months or so and apart from the Wr-V, the other option I'm looking at seriously is, Surprise- The TUV 300 (100bhp). I really liked it's tough, go-anywhere attitude, the extra Jump seats, the higher seating and true blue SUV character. Also, being a Mahindra, parts are cheap, it'll have a great re-sale value in these parts and best of All, The Body-on-Frame Chassis. It can definitely take abuse!

Right now, we have the Ignis and the old Innova. If we keep the Innova for a bit longer and the new car is just for me, I'll pick up the WR-V, or go for something cheaper, yet spacious like the Baleno or i20/ Jazz.

If we decide to sell off the innova within the next few months, I'll buy the TUV for family multiple duties, and perhaps later pick up a pre-owned Swift or something just for myself.

The EcoSport? Looks good but way too cramped, didn't like the telephone style buttons in the Music System and AC.

The Breeza? Didn't like the Interiors, every third car is a Breeza, I already have a Maruti.

The others, I didn't give much thought. Didn't interest me.
Old 13th June 2017, 17:57   #55
BHPian

Over the last few years have answered so many of such polls pitting Ecosport against the rest in India and almost always Ecosport leads the way. Reason?

In my view its because Ecosport is a complete compact SUV offering something for everyone.

Want a ultra fancy engine, it has ecoboost.
Want a fully loaded AT, it has that too a DCT and not useless AMT.
Want a zippy Diesel, it has.
Want to not pay much and still feel safe, base petrol model with airbags.

Except for having diesel variant with AT or a AWD variant this compact SUV is mostly sorted and above the rest!
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2017, 14:35   #56
BHPian

Voted for Brezza. It was a tough call between Brezza and Ecosport but chose Brezza mainly because ES has been there for a while (though the design doesn't look dated) and Brezza is a model built for this class. Didn't really considered the offerings from Honda, Hyundai, Toyota and Fiat as I would prefer the hatch versions than the beefed up SUV look alikes.

TUV's engine is a big let down and I believe its image might change completely if Mahindra plonks a better engine under the hood.
Old 20th July 2017, 22:37   #57

I voted for the Ecosport simply because it's one of the options that was originally meant to be a compact SUV and not a beefed up hatchback. Plus it has very capable petrol and diesel options, unlike the brezza which is available only in diesel.

With an automatic variant, 6 airbags with ABS +EBD, a very comfortable ride thanks to the suspension (though I do find it to be a little on the softer side at higher speeds). It's quite hard to go wrong with the Ecosport.
Old 7th September 2017, 19:47   #58
BHPian

Upgrade to new car with specific features: looking for suggestions

Now that my almost 10-year old Wagon-R has started showing signs of ageing (second set of tires balding, second battery weakening, suspension issues), I am tempted to to upgrade during this festive season, rather than again spend on a round of repairs.

I have tried to outline my requirements below -
  • Decent to high ground clearance (to tackle the bad roads, potholes, flooding etc.)
  • High driver seating if possible (love the seating in my Wagon-R, and somehow not a fan of very low seating positions typical of sedans)
  • Preferably not a long car
  • Decent boot space - "fits 2 large suitcases" is my benchmark
  • Mostly city-driving, with occasional highways (75-25)
  • Not interested in ICE features, fuel efficiency
  • Good re-sale value as I intend to change after 5 years
  • Budget: Around 10 lakhs, of course lesser the better
  • Prefer Automatic, but okay with manual if everything else is fine

I know that the aversion to low seating and long car together almost seems to rule out sedans. But given the hassles of parking and traffic and the ease and convenience of maneuvering a hatchback, I somehow cannot convince myself to go to a Sedan. But, I am definitely open to comments here if people have experiences to suggest to the contrary - i.e. if you found the adjustment from a small hatch to a sedan/SUV easy.

I have done some initial screening and shortlisted the Jazz, Polo, W-RV, Baleno, but have not yet cross-checked against all my requirements.

I would really appreciate suggestions, considering the above list. I would be happy to elaborate on anything in more detail, if needed. I am not a driving expert, so please excuse any inconsistencies in the above.
Old 7th September 2017, 20:23   #59
BANNED

Re: Upgrade to new car with specific features: looking for suggestions

Ford EcoSport 1.5L petrol AT should definitely be on your list.

Meets your requirements IMO.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 20:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrade to new car with specific features: looking for suggestions

Are you looking for a specific fuel type? How about the Ecosport? It has an auto variant as well!! Should fit most of your needs. I would say S-Cross 1.3 as well would be a good fit for your needs but the zeta variant which is the most VFM will be priced ~11L

Happy hunting!!

Edit: Anurag posted the same while my reply was being typed

Last edited by arvind71181 : 7th September 2017 at 20:25.
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed