Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Honda WR-V 50 12.89%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 68 17.53%
Ford EcoSport 241 62.11%
Hyundai i20 Active 7 1.80%
Fiat Avventura 9 2.32%
Toyota Etios Cross 6 1.55%
Mahindra TUV300 7 1.80%
Voters: 388. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2017, 20:51   #61
BHPian

Re: Upgrade to new car with specific features: looking for suggestions

Thanks @a4anurag and @arvind71181 for such quick replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Are you looking for a specific fuel type?
Not looking for a specific fuel type - okay with either petrol or diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
How about the Ecosport? It has an auto variant as well!! Should fit most of your needs. I would say S-Cross 1.3 as well would be a good fit for your needs but the zeta variant which is the most VFM will be priced ~11L
Let me add these two to the list.
I think my mental image of both of these is quite huge than the ones on my list, and so I think my apprehensions around parking/maneuverability for bigger cars in the crowded streets of Mumbai start worrying me.
BertieWoosert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 21:06   #62
BHPian

WR-V is really perfect for your needs. Jazz's ground clearance is not great and just adequate. Resale value is hard to predict because of the newness of the model and how much of a hit it would be over the coming years.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 21:17   #63
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to go for the Ecosport. It meets all your criterion, though the Brezza will have higher resale value after 5 years. That said, the Ecosport also commands a good resale value and is a better product than the Brezza and the W-RV. You may wait for the upcoming facelift or you can utilise the upcoming months to see if you can get a better deal on the Ecosport.

You can also look at the Ignis as it has a tallboy like seating and will save you quite a lot of moolah. The K-12 petrol would be my pick if you decide to go down the Ignis path. The petrol engine feels better and the gearbox is lightly notchy in the diesel version.

Last edited by AYP : 7th September 2017 at 21:19.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 10:55   #64
BHPian

Apologies for the delay in coming back on this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
WR-V is really perfect for your needs. Jazz's ground clearance is not great and just adequate. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I would suggest you to go for the Ecosport.
You can also look at the Ignis as it has a tallboy like seating and will save you quite a lot of moolah.
Thanks. I am as of now thoroughly confused between the Jazz, WR-V, Ecosport, i20, Baleno and Brezza (that's a looong list I know), although inclined towards the WR-V or Ecosport as of now.

The Ignis is probably a bit small for my requirements in terms of boot-space etc.

I will be taking test-drives for all of these in the coming weeks and decide, based on the "feel".

The Brezza is only available in Diesel - is that an issue? My running will be 5000 km per year, and wondering whether I would be overpaying by opting for a diesel variant.
BertieWoosert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 13:08   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertieWoosert View Post
Thanks. I am as of now thoroughly confused between the Jazz, WR-V, Ecosport, i20, Baleno and Brezza (that's a looong list I know), although inclined towards the WR-V or Ecosport as of now.
Thats quite a big list to be confused with. From the list it seems like you need a car for normal use and don't have any specific requirements as such.
Out of the WR-V and EcoSport - I'd always recommend the EcoSport. It offers a solid build, nice tall commanding driving position. Both of which are not on par in the WR-V. Instead then you should opt for the Jazz and save some Vit-M.
If your interest is in Petrols - then I'd suggest Honda / Maruti. The 1.5 petrol EcoSport won't be that spectacular as such. Will be a moderate performer.

Quote:
The Brezza is only available in Diesel - is that an issue? My running will be 5000 km per year, and wondering whether I would be overpaying by opting for a diesel variant.
Obviously diesel fuel efficiency / cost per km isn't a factor with running as low as that. But then that is not not only characteristic of the Brezza. If the car ticks a lot of other boxes in your requirements and you find it worth the price, you shouldn't turn away from it simply because you feel you are overpaying because it is a diesel car. Car is not just about the engine.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 13:19   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Now that my almost 10-year old Wagon-R has started showing signs of ageing (second set of tires balding, second battery weakening, suspension issues), I am tempted to to upgrade during this festive season, rather than again spend on a round of repairs.

I have tried to outline my requirements below -
  • Decent to high ground clearance (to tackle the bad roads, potholes, flooding etc.)
  • High driver seating if possible (love the seating in my Wagon-R, and somehow not a fan of very low seating positions typical of sedans)
  • Preferably not a long car
  • Decent boot space - "fits 2 large suitcases" is my benchmark
  • Mostly city-driving, with occasional highways (75-25)
  • Not interested in ICE features, fuel efficiency
  • Good re-sale value as I intend to change after 5 years
  • Budget: Around 10 lakhs, of course lesser the better
  • Prefer Automatic, but okay with manual if everything else is fine

I know that the aversion to low seating and long car together almost seems to rule out sedans. But given the hassles of parking and traffic and the ease and convenience of maneuvering a hatchback, I somehow cannot convince myself to go to a Sedan. But, I am definitely open to comments here if people have experiences to suggest to the contrary - i.e. if you found the adjustment from a small hatch to a sedan/SUV easy.

I have done some initial screening and shortlisted the Jazz, Polo, W-RV, Baleno, but have not yet cross-checked against all my requirements.

I would really appreciate suggestions, considering the above list. I would be happy to elaborate on anything in more detail, if needed. I am not a driving expert, so please excuse any inconsistencies in the above.
I would urge you to consider the Maruti Ertiga Petrol and Toyota Etios Platinum Petrol as the next upgrade. Not too large. But both will give you the increased ride comfort over Wagon R, Petrol refinement, suited for low running, easy on the pocket to maintain, good resale value. Baleno is a great choice too. For Diesel I'd prefer the i20 for the refinement and ride quality at the same cost of the Etios Petrol/ertiga petrol.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 14:06   #67
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The best car among these would be the Ecosport diesel. And it'd be even better if you can wait for the facelift. Among the hatches I'd recommend you the i20 diesel. Trust me, once you the drive the i20 diesel, you will find it difficult to settle with the i20 petrol.

However, if you are looking strictly at petrol option, I'd still suggest the current or the facelift Ecosport followed by the WR-V. I'd prefer the Jazz over the Baleno for the overall good feel inside out though the k12 is slightly better to drive than the 1.2 i-Vtec. The 1.2 kappa which feels adequate in the Grand i10 feels underpowered in the i20.

As far as the petrol-diesel thing is concerned, with your running, you will definitely be overpaying for a diesel. However, I feel that within a price bracket, we should look at any car with any engine as a choice and not as just petrol/diesel engines of the same car. This is true especially for the under 4m segments as we generally get higher capacity diesels which offer better performance than their petrol counterparts. This is how I ended up with the Figo TDCI even though my monthly running hardly justifies the premium .
But everytime I drive the car, the engine performance makes me forget the premium I paid .

Last edited by AYP : 27th September 2017 at 14:08.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 14:12   #68
BHPian

Quote:
The Ignis is probably a bit small for my requirements in terms of boot-space etc.
Ignis boot space is comparable to i20. 265 (Ignis) vs 280(i20). If boot space is issue in Ignis, that also rules i20 out too.

You are running just 400 kms a month, no way it justifies a diesel, on the contrary it does justify the AT, since your loss in mileage would be minimal.

If you want boot space, along with automatic, the top choice would be Baleno CVT. It won't give you the tall boy seating you crave, but visibility is quite good.

You could also check out the Ford Aspire AT. There is a good chance you would get some pretty good deals on it.

Next option would be the Ecosport. Facelift is expected to be rolling out in just about a few weeks and should continue to carry the AT but not sure which engine will be mated to it.

I don't see why you should compromise with a manual car like WR-V, if there are good automatic options available.
autorahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 14:16   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Ignis boot space is comparable to i20. 265 (Ignis) vs 280(i20). If boot space is issue in Ignis, that also rules i20 out too.

You are running just 400 kms a month, no way it justifies a diesel, on the contrary it does justify the AT, since your loss in mileage would be minimal.

If you want boot space, along with automatic, the top choice would be Baleno CVT. It won't give you the tall boy seating you crave, but visibility is quite good.
Very true! I'd also put my money on the JAZZ AT. Adds that fun factor of paddle shifters (of course with the CVT, they are not fun like on a GTI DSG! Still, novelty factor increases quite a bit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I don't see why you should compromise with a manual car like WR-V, if there are good automatic options available.
Spot on!!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 23:57   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies for the delay in coming back on this topic.

I was in your shoes exactly 16 days back. I started by looking at replacements for my Swift (2014 Dec model) and naturally, as a logical upgrade, I was looking at Jazz & Baleno. I usually stick to the mainstream brands and ever since I was treated very badly at a Hyundai dealer about 4 years ago, I stopped looking at them. I usually drop VW cars considering the reviews of the ASS and the tall hump that causes noticeable inconvenience to the middle passenger in the back seat.

When we entered the Honda showroom, my wife looked at the WRV parked in its corner and was blown over (ok.ok.some of you like it , some don't). So was I, and we decided to go ahead with the WRV. In about 5 minutes, we jumped from a hatch to a crossover. The cost wasn't too much of an issue, as I was buying the car in my company name anyway, and I would get the proportional increase in depreciation tax benefits.

A quick check on TeamBhp to find reasons to eliminate the competition followed. It was difficult to find fault with the Ecosport, but then the cramped back seat of the ES and the vast expanse of space + sun-roof of the WRV tilted the balance in its favor. For some reason, we were not very pleased with the wheel on the back too.

So there I was, ready with cheque book, electric bill etc to book the WRV. The SA was calling every couple of hours to finalise the deal. We had negotiated on the accessories , the day I would hand over my old car in exchange etc etc

And then , I came across this thread that listed the power & torque data of the WRV , vis-a-vis the rest. And ..pooof.. the euphoria deflated. Although the TD of the WRV had given some indication of the less-than-desired engine power, seeing the figures in black & white made me cut the cord. What would be the use of the extra space , if the engine couldn't carry the load in it ?

Sidebar : a major reason for not buying the Jazz was the absence of speed sensing auto-lock of doors. This may sound very trivial , but with a small kid in the car , having speed sensing autolocks on the doors is a boon. ( Yes, child locks can do the job too, but I'm not too comfortable using them because of the inconvenience they cause to other adults travelling in the car).

So with the Jazz and the WRV out of the picture for their separate reasons, what was I left with ? Walked into the Maruti showroom to find that the realistic chances of getting a Brezza were only around Christmas. I came back to the other car we had considered earlier, the Baleno. The only ones they had in stock were the Baleno RS. Another quick check on TeamBhp to verify the fundamentals. Yes, the differential price between the stock Baleno & RS was outrageously unjustified , but as mentioned in the Baleno RS review, this is the Tatkal version of the Baleno and people in a hurry have to pay the price. So , here I am , ten days later, with a silver Baleno RS in my parking space. (more on the driving experience in the RS thread, later)

To Sum up : IMHO
I would still recommend the WRV if more than 90% of your driving is within Mumbai / Navi Mumbai city limits ( including the WEH and EEH) . There is hardly any space on the road to let the engine rip and thats where the regal & comfortable WRV shines. Power & torque doesn't matter much in traffic. Also, if the car is driven primarily by a driver, I feel its the WRV that offer the most relaxed backseat comfort. And personally, I think it looks really cool.

Cheers
AMKAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 16:10   #71
BHPian

Re: Poll: Honda WR-V vs the competition

Thank you all for your suggestions. AMKAM - I can fully appreciate your situation!

There's a suddent unfortunate twist in the tale, so wanted to keep everyone posted.

We took test-drives of the Ecosport, WR-V and the Jazz. Personally, I found the Ecosport somewhat cramped and clunky, and the WR-V more comfy, although these are matters of personal preferences The Jazz was along expected lines. Given a personal choice, I would have gone with the WR-V.

The twist comes from the feedback from my folks who accompanied me and were in the back-seat during the test-drives. (Perhaps becuase of being used to seating in Wagon-R/i10) they found both the Ecosport and the WR-V too wavy and rolling, and the ride quality uncomfortable because of this, especially at start/stops. I sat in the back-seat for a while, and also experienced this to a slight extent. I wasn't expecting a 20-25 odd mm of higher ground clearance difference relative to Wagon-R to result in such a different experience, so I am not sure if it was real or psychological.

This experience has ruled out all the compact SUVs / crossover hatchbacks with high GC, given our requirements of primarily city driving

My choice-set has now been reduced to either the larger hatchback or the compact sedan segments. I personally am somehow just not a fan of the latter, but these may be the most practical ones for my requirements, so I am thinking whether I should add them to my list (against my preferences).

The prime requirements now are
  • Large boot space (two large suitcases)
  • Sub-4m (Anything above is a strict-no)
  • As high driver seating as possible
  • Not-too-high GC
  • Manual: Between the manual and the automatic options, I have decided to stick to manual despite the automatic seeming to be a better choice in traffic, to retain that feeling of "control".

My running of around 5000 km per year doesnt justify a Diesel, but I am willing to look at it if it ticks all the other boxes (like the others on the thread have mentioned). I would like to stick to names like Maruti, Hyundai, Honda unless there is a strong reason to look at something else.

One personal wish is still a car that is as much fun to drive as possible, within the above constraints. It will be mostly driven by me. I dont know how to describe this exactly, but words like peppy, responsive, zippy, easy-to-drive are what come to mind.

Starting from a red light at a junction, I found both the Ecosport and WR-V struggle to pick up speed in 2nd gear, relative to even my current Wagon-R experience. I am not sure if this was a one-off, or is indeed true given the weight/power etc. I am not a car expert, so kindly excuse if this seems wrong - I am just speaking from my experience.

I am still willing to spend up to 10L, although I dont think I will need to. I am not a big fan of stuff like alloy wheels, rails, DRLs, projecter lamps, automatic climate control and what not, so I don't think I will be needing the top variants. Stuff that I find useful (parking camera/sensors, rear wiper etc), I think I should be able to get fitted separately.

Any suggestions (if anyone still has the patience with my confusion) welcome
Old 29th September 2017, 18:28   #72
BHPian

Quote:
My running of around 5000 km per year doesnt justify a Diesel, but I am willing to look at it if it ticks all the other boxes (like the others on the thread have mentioned)
One personal wish is still a car that is as much fun to drive as possible, within the above constraints. It will be mostly driven by me. I dont know how to describe this exactly, but words like peppy, responsive, zippy, easy-to-drive are what come to mind.
I think you should check out Ford Aspire in its Diesel variant. That is one of the best car to drive under 10 lakhs. As you rightly said you don't need a diesel, but since fun to drive is a wish, this comes straight into the picture. Its also quite decently priced and you also should have some pretty decent discounts going on with it, to bring the price close to premium petrol hatches.

Another car to test would be Baleno RS. It again fulfils all your requirements from above and is yet another fun to drive car, albeit slightly overpriced.

Third option, if you want tall driver seating, check out Ignis. You can also consider the AMT option. It gives you the feeling of control when you want one and convenience of automatic when you desire that.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 20:08   #73
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • Not-too-high GC
  • Manual: Between the manual and the automatic options, I have decided to stick to manual despite the automatic seeming to be a better choice in traffic, to retain that feeling of "control".

My running of around 5000 km per year doesnt justify a Diesel, but I am willing to look at it if it ticks all the other boxes (like the others on the thread have mentioned). I would like to stick to names like Maruti, Hyundai, Honda unless there is a strong reason to look at something else.
If you decide to go down the diesel path, I'd suggest the i20 diesel. It has a punchy engine, very well put interiors and Hyundai brand. The Asta variant should fit in your budget. I'd suggest the Ford Aspire Titanium when it comes to compact sedans. The performance offered by this car is truly great. I'd also suggest you to check out the Ameo which packs a punchy diesel engine which offers the best performance in its segment and one above . However, if you want to stick to the Marutis and the Hyundais, the Dzire should be the best bet.

Among the petrols, I'd suggest Maruti Dzire followed by the Honda Jazz.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 11:05   #74
BHPian

Quote:
My choice-set has now been reduced to either the larger hatchback or the compact sedan segments. I personally am somehow just not a fan of the latter, but these may be the most practical ones for my requirements, so I am thinking whether I should add them to my list (against my preferences).

• Not-too-high GC

Starting from a red light at a junction, I found both the Ecosport and WR-V struggle to pick up speed in 2nd gear, relative to even my current Wagon-R experience. I am not sure if this was a one-off, or is indeed true given the weight/power etc. I am not a car expert, so kindly excuse if this seems wrong - I am just speaking from my experience.

Any suggestions (if anyone still has the patience with my confusion) welcome
Hi there,
Although this is going off-topic I would be happy to help you out.
The zippiness and maneuverability of small cars like wagon R, i10 and alto is in a different league altogether, so it is not wise to compare them with the higher segment where the size and weight of the cars increases considerably. So you will have to let go that feeling of zippiness and settle for a little sedate driving style.
IMHO any car with good GC and bigger tires is good for Indian Road conditions. Higher seating gives you a better visibility in a bumper to bumper traffic and the bigger wheels give a little better ride quality when you negotiate a pothole. So a compact SUV always ticks the right boxes for me. I would suggest you to give it a second thought and keep the option open till you arrive at the final decision. Please test drive the following vehicles and see if they suit you: (all of these have punchy engines)
- Ford Aspire 1.5 TDCI >> consider extra premium that you pay for this diesel
- i20 diesel 1.4 crdi >> again consider the same
- Baleno/Dzire 1.2 k series >> large zippy petrol
- Grand i10 1.2 petrol >> boot is around 260 liters
- Jazz 1.2
- Not so punchy Nexon 1.2 3 cylinder turbo charged petrol engine

If you keep the option of the compact SUVs open then you will have to extend your budget and choose from Diesel variants as the petrol counterparts do not feel punchy at all and lack the torque you would expect from an SUV.
Consider the below:
- WRV
- Ecosport (upgraded version with new set of engines if you can wait)
- Nexon
- Brezza
- S cross

Hope this helps.

Last edited by amiya.c : 2nd October 2017 at 11:07. Reason: Add extra words
amiya.c is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 14:32   #75

Quote:
Now that my almost 10-year old Wagon-R has started showing signs of ageing (second set of tires balding, second battery weakening, suspension issues), I am tempted to to upgrade during this festive season, rather than again spend on a round of repairs.

I have tried to outline my requirements below -
  • Decent to high ground clearance (to tackle the bad roads, potholes, flooding etc.)
  • High driver seating if possible (love the seating in my Wagon-R, and somehow not a fan of very low seating positions typical of sedans)
  • Preferably not a long car
  • Decent boot space - "fits 2 large suitcases" is my benchmark
  • Mostly city-driving, with occasional highways (75-25)
  • Not interested in ICE features, fuel efficiency
  • Good re-sale value as I intend to change after 5 years
  • Budget: Around 10 lakhs, of course lesser the better
  • Prefer Automatic, but okay with manual if everything else is fine

I know that the aversion to low seating and long car together almost seems to rule out sedans. But given the hassles of parking and traffic and the ease and convenience of maneuvering a hatchback, I somehow cannot convince myself to go to a Sedan. But, I am definitely open to comments here if people have experiences to suggest to the contrary - i.e. if you found the adjustment from a small hatch to a sedan/SUV easy.

I have done some initial screening and shortlisted the Jazz, Polo, W-RV, Baleno, but have not yet cross-checked against all my requirements.

I would really appreciate suggestions, considering the above list. I would be happy to elaborate on anything in more detail, if needed. I am not a driving expert, so please excuse any inconsistencies in the above.
Hi Bertie
Here’s my suggestion which fits in with most of your requirements except (probably re-sale value)
It’s the Figo Aspire Titanium TDCi or Figo Aspire Titanium TDCi Sports version. All are MT versions.
You can read the ownership reports posted by Mobike 008, KreativeGeek (For diesel versions), Samaspire (for Petrol version) and Tharian (for Sports version).
Incidentally I too own a Figo Aspire Figo Aspire Titanium TDCi which I am driving for the past 6 months. I too shall be posting my Ownership report soon.
The second option that you could consider is the Baleno – however, I have read ownership posts which speak about lack of under thigh support in the rear bench and back breaking experience of rear seated passengers.
Pls. have a hard look at the Tata Nexon Diesel too before you make your final choice.
All the best.
Yasasri is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed