Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2017, 19:35   #46
BANNED

Re: 100 km of driving everyday - What car?

Would suggest you to go for Ford Figo or Aspire. Once you do a test drive you will yourself understand what a gem these twins are. My friend owns a Figo diesel and he is getting average fuel economy >26kmpl with mixed driving conditions.

Maintenance cost is on par with Toyota and if you compare it with Etios or Liva you will find Ford better in all aspects.
Tony_Stark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 20:44   #47
BHPian

Though figo is a good car as i own one and in case you plan to buy ford then do check the service setup of respective ford dealer in your city. From my experience of owing figo.. it can be an expensive affair to maintain figo and the highly unskilled mechanics make the ownership experience terrible.

In fact i would recommend to check Punto which is a far superior car than Figo. It's sturdy, reliable, loaded with features, has the best steering feedback and driving dynamics and can give any sedan a run for its money...Do give it a try. I would rate ford and fiat service at par as i own both the cars.

You may also consider xcent. It has recently got an update and ticks all your requirement. Hyundai service is pretty consistent.

Last edited by kapilsharma80 : 13th July 2017 at 20:47.
Old 13th July 2017, 20:48   #48
BHPian

Recommending you from my own experience, go for either Ford Figo diesel or Hyundai Grand i10 diesel.

I own a Grand i10 diesel (though the 1.1 Crdi one) and I drive around 90 kms per day due to the nature of my job (not just office commute) and get around 18 kmpl in Pune city traffic. Considering you drive majorly on highways, I think it would be a good option for you. Though you might have to stretch to get the topmost variant for the security features, in the end its totally worth it. My car has crossed 20k kms in just a little over 6 months and till date I have incurred a cumulative service cost of Rs 6000.

Alternatively, Figo is also a good mile muncher and you could expect lower maintenance costs as well as high fuel efficiency. Coupled with the security features on the lower variants too, it falls under your budget bracket and makes a compelling case for itself too.

PS:- I am not a 6 footer though. But, try test driving the Hyundai. It might please you.
tp_dominator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 22:21   #49

I would like to suggest a pre-worshipped VW Vento diesel.
I am 6 feet tall and have no complaints with my VW Polo on the driving position front.
The Vento Highline variant comes with all the safety kit you will need. Having personally been in an accident on the highway which could've gone horribly for me, I trust Volkswagen build and features completely.
The Vento diesel gives excellent mileage and is comfortable to drive at high speeds over long distances.
VWs are very reliable (and durable) if properly maintained and the slightly higher cost of ownership can be offset with the peace of mind that their cars offer.
ashlok94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 23:51   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
Parameters for consideration numbered as per priority:

1. I am 6.2" and now ended up with a lope sided butt due to my seating position in Santro (i think). And its really pain in the back on long drives. So want a decent amount of leg room and under thigh support for a 6+.
2. Fuel Economy: 110 Km per liter would be my dream to have :P
3. Maintenance Costs: Looking at a 5 year time period, anything below ~2k in average per service would be awesome
4. After Sales Service: Yes, Please
5. Safety: Out of the 110 Km per day, 90+ km will be in the bypass, So would be nice to have some safety features yes
6. Budget: 5 to 6 L (can go up a bit)

Please Pour in your thoughts guys.,
If you can stretch your budget a little bit, then Diesel Etios or Etios Liva will be perfect car for you (provided if you are 'OK' with styling of these cars), because all the above mentioned priorities will be fulfilled for sure.
Old 14th July 2017, 02:08   #51
BHPian

You are my half brother sir!

1) I drive approx. 100 kms a day
2) For the better part of my driving life, I have driven Santro. Changed my car last year.
3) My drive also involves highway driving (Only 10% though)
4) I am 6'
5) I drove around 30k kms in my first year of ownership

Now on the car, if you like the interiors of the Etios, then go for it. It's the best car you can get for your money with the lowest maintenance, good FE and comfort package. I too wanted to buy it, but I really didn't like the interiors of the car.

I bought the Tata Zest Diesel in Aug'15 and so far, I am satisfied. It's solid, safe, comfortable and feature rich. Also, the car has pretty good highway manners. (Not very good on the FE part )

Last edited by parth.jain : 14th July 2017 at 02:09.
parth.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 02:13   #52
BHPian

From my point of view, I'd stick to fuel efficiency because that will be your biggest cost thanks to your extra running.

Therefore, the suggestion is to spend this weekend on T-Bhp, scour through owner reports of the following cars:
1. Baleno Diesel
2. Figo Diesel (new gen, obviously)
3. Etios Liva
4. Grand i10/Xcent

You could make a list of what people are getting as their average FE and this will point you towards the car with the highest likely real world fuel economy. Considering you will use approx 5 liters of fuel in a diesel, even a 1 kmpl difference is 5 kilometers extra, which over a month is 120 and over a year is 1440 km. This will add up to a noticeable saving over the life of the car.

In terms of reliability, this above list of 4 becomes 2 because the Baleno and Etios Liva engines are the most used of the lot - Etios Liva is especially popular with cab segment. I was driven around Rajasthan this Feb with my wife in an Etios from Delhi to Udaipur and the driver reported 20-21 km/l which is more than good enough.

Once you have crunched the numbers, go and drive these two cars - take an extended test drive if you can. You need to literally live in these cars for 4 hrs a day, I assume, so you being comfortable is very very important.

I would exclude most brands apart from Maruti & Toyota not because of bias but because your requirement is of a thoroughbred workhorse - no matter if it's a bit dull or not exciting. These two have the goods for you.
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 06:15   #53
BHPian

It looks like, the Etios Liva and Ford Figo Diesel are the top contenders.

I would recommend to a poll (with other options as well), then it will be easy for you to get a more clear picture.

My personal suggestion would be Etios Liva.
Old 14th July 2017, 07:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlok94 View Post
I would like to suggest a pre-worshipped VW Vento diesel.
I am 6 feet tall and have no complaints with my VW Polo on the driving position front.
That's odd, because my experience as a 6 footer myself, is completely the opposite with the Polo, Vento and Rapid. The way in which the center console is attached to the transmission tunnel, makes it very annoying to use the dead pedal or clutch as every time you go to shift gears, your leg keeps brushing against the coarse plastic. Not only did it cause discomfort but also hindered rev-matching. This was especially annoying in stop-go traffic where one sits in a relaxed manner but has to constantly use the clutch to keep inching ahead. Surprisingly, the Fabia did not suffer from this issue and my friend who owned a Fabia for several years before coming to own a Rapid, agreed with my thoughts. He is only 5'9". Obviously this can be avoided if one chooses to push the seat all the way back and drive all gangsta, but that's not my style.

I am attaching an image detailing exactly what I am referring to. Skoda Fabia picture on the left taken from motorbeam and VW Vento picture on the right taken from our own forum's review of the car. The yellow lines that I have drawn over the images will help depict the intrusion caused in the Vento (same for Polo and Rapid) that is avoided in the Fabia. Perhaps it was due to the recent waterfall console craze? No idea. Anyway please excuse my poor editing skills. This was done on MS Paint
Attached Thumbnails
100 km of driving everyday - What car?-skoda_fabia_tdi_interiors.jpg  

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th July 2017 at 07:12.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 07:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That's odd, because my experience as a 6 footer myself, is completely the opposite with the Polo, Vento and Rapid.......He is only 5'9". Obviously this can be avoided if one chooses to push the seat all the way back and drive all gangsta, but that's not my style.
I am 5'10" and felt the same when I did the TD of the Vento and Rapid. I felt the seats travel also limited and they don't go back enough for a comfortable position. That was the main reason I went with the Verna even though Vento checked more number of boxes in my list.
Old 14th July 2017, 08:55   #56
BHPian

I am 6"1' (and well built). I felt cramped and/or fidgety in these cars - Baleno, Polo, Elite i20, Tiago, G-i10.

The best suited hatches (offering diesel variants) for tall people IMO is the Tata Bolt, Toyota Liva and Ford Figo (in this order). Ritz was the best in this aspect, but alas it's stopped!

The other aspects have already been discussed, hence not confusing you further.

Last edited by nerd1200 : 14th July 2017 at 08:58.
nerd1200 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 09:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Even at 5'9" I used to find my Polo very cramped, another issue was the steering adjustment lock used to poke my knee.
For tall people the comfort is totally on how flexible you are. People who can sit with a straight back and legs stretched straight ahead on a low seat may find a low slung car comfortable. But those like me who cannot, and need to recline the seat when legs have to be stretched ahead should go in for a car with higher seats.
One thing that I would suggest is that you go in for a diesel automatic even if you have to stretch your budget. The distance you are covering daily will take a toll on your left knee. In previous years I have done this kind of driving when diesel automatics were not an available option at below 25 lakhs. Even then I have been able to use a cars for lakhs of km's without any issues. One Innova 1.9 lakhs with only routene service 3 sets of brake pads, and two sets of tyres. An Indica 3.24 Lakh km with 5 sets of tyres and 5 suspension and brake pads jobs.Only two sets of rear brake shoes.
As per my experience once you use a car for60 or more km per day, the maintenance cost per km is actually low, and heavier cars cursed for high maintenance actually become low maintenance.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 11:53   #58
BHPian

Off topic, but why is Bunny Punia driving his Aspire with the Hazard light blinker ON? Such an oft found practice is a hazard in itself. I'm surprised no one noticed this.
Old 14th July 2017, 13:56   #59
BHPian

Apart from what has already been suggested, I would suggest you try out Etios and Jazz. Etios is a good all round performer with low ownership cost. Jazz, on the other hand, is more comfortable, spacious, powerful, provides excellent FE and a slightly noisy engine. If you are good with the noise and moderate service costs, I would suggest Jazz as you need space and support.

Last edited by feluda86 : 14th July 2017 at 13:57. Reason: Formatting issue
Old 14th July 2017, 14:01   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
Off topic, but why is Bunny Punia driving his Aspire with the Hazard light blinker ON? Such an oft found practice is a hazard in itself. I'm surprised no one noticed this.
Could be because he's maintaining a different, slower speed from what the surrounding cars are doing? Also, the camera/crew car would be following closely.
But seriously, 1000kms on a half tank if he'd maintained those speeds, he could have gone all the way to Jaipur on the same tank

And for the OP, Bunny Punia did not seem to get much fatigue. This important point is confirmed by other long term reviews on the forum too - which makes this ideal for driving 100KMs every day.
jetti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks