Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2017, 11:36   #31
BHPian

Re: 100 km of driving everyday - What car?

I'd say Figo or Aspires. Would be a stretch, but a sweet engine, rationalized service & spare costs, par safety features and a comparatively better build than the Koreans and Japs. The engine really will stand out on those bypass runs.
Old 13th July 2017, 12:10   #32
BHPian

Why don't you think of relocating somewhere closer to your workplace (please don't bash me, I am only being practical).
You may think of carpooling with fellow colleagues in your neighborhood if any, to keep all costs in check.
Since you have asked for a solid workhorse why don't you consider Renault/Nissan diesels.
You have:
1. Sunny (base)
2. Micra
3. Mahindra Verito(rebranded Logan)
4.Verito Vibe.

If you are not brand or image conscious then you may also look at good deals for Tata Indica,
Tata Indigo, Tata Tiago, Tata Bolt/Zest.

Toyota Etios J (taxi) variant, if possible to arrange for, is a good buy.
Swift Dzire Tour is also a good option. I am not sure if it is easily available for private owners.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 14:27   #33
BHPian

I am 5'11 and have been using the Figo Titanium TDCi 1.5 for about 2 years now with a daily run of 55 kms.

I would suggest you go with a Figo, except that if your route entails significant bumper to bumper traffic, the heavy clutch will cause stress on your left knee.
Otherwise it's a superb package at that price point. Even the A.S.S. has improved significantly over the years and most of the spare parts are available over the counter from the Service Center. The maintenance, as of now, has been quite cheap though I can't give a comparo with other cars at this price point.

Toyota Etios Liva would be another good option, though I personally found that, for the diesel, at Cruising speeds the ride is a little wallowy and doesn't inspire much confidence to push the needle further. Haven't driven the petrol and can't comment on it.
revvenant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 14:42   #34
BHPian

Two choices Ford Figo and Dzire (both diesel). Dzire has better ride quality in the city while Figo wins on the highway for me.
Recommending from the fact that one of my friend has the same driving as yours. He travels everyday from Panipat to Delhi. He swears by the Figo (I have the older gen). The only issue he finds is under thigh support. He has previosuly owned and driven the Corolla as well(long term).

I am slightly suspect of Etios' safety (even though they have 2 airbags), if that is something that you don't then that also becomes a contender. Rest of it, just take the three for a spin and see for yourself.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 13th July 2017 at 14:44.
Old 13th July 2017, 15:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I am slightly suspect of Etios' safety (even though they have 2 airbags), if that is something that you don't then that also becomes a contender. Rest of it, just take the three for a spin and see for yourself.
The Etios is probably the only car in this range with a proven safety rating for India. It would be my choice of car for the parameter described.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rash-test.html
Old 13th July 2017, 15:07   #36
BHPian

If you are open for slight north of 6 lacs and for pre-owned one, go for 4-5 year old Jetta, nicely maintained though. I and my partner commute from ahmedabad to baroda every day and total trip is 225 kms. Both Jettas, one new and one used. The used one has crossed 130000 kms now and still in best years of her life. Sure the yearly maintenance costs are higher in range of 10K but the kind of safety, engine and ergonomics which it offers, its a worth compromise.

P.S: plus you can own the car for luxurious family trip and dinner as well.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 15:12   #37
BHPian

I would say go for the Jazz idtec. It's the best car in the price range for tall people (I am myself 6' 3") and have been driving an ivtec since 2 years. I tried all cars including the i20 and the ecosport at that time still I find this car the best for our height since there is still enough space at the back even when I am sitting in the front.

Coming to other aspects of the car the idtec is very fuel efficient (important for your running) and the car is pretty competent on all other counts. You may have to increase your budget by a couple of lakhs and settle for a mid variant but I think that's a trade off worth it. Best of luck.
Old 13th July 2017, 15:19   #38
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for the Figo diesel whole heartedly.

I own one , albeit the older model with only 68 BHP and have driven a maximum of 780 KM all within one day and I felt comfortable throughout the trip.

If you travel long distances daily, go for a car like a Figo, Punto or Polo with brilliant ride and handling. They will make the travel happier.

If only you had a running of 80-90 KM per day ,what I would have done is get a Mahindra E2O. It costs 50p per KM and considering your marathon running you can recover the entire cost of the car in fuel savings within 5 years. So basically the investment in the car is free. In this case however, the daily running is higher than the range. Sigh.

Or use the Santro for a couple of years and I guess then we will have electric cars with over 120 KM range.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 13th July 2017 at 15:41.
Old 13th July 2017, 15:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind
1. I am 6.2" and now ended up with a lope sided butt due to my seating position in Santro (i think). And its really pain in the back on long drives. So want a decent amount of leg room and under thigh support for a 6+.
2. Fuel Economy: 110 Km per liter would be my dream to have :P
3. Maintenance Costs: Looking at a 5 year time period, anything below ~2k in average per service would be awesome
4. After Sales Service: Yes, Please
5. Safety: Out of the 110 Km per day, 90+ km will be in the bypass, So would be nice to have some safety features yes
6. Budget: 5 to 6 L (can go up a bit)
Figo TDCi meets most of the points.

1. Height issue. Figo is good enough to accommodate a taller driver like you. So point one is checked.

2. FE. I have an Aspire TDCi with same engine and never seen FE below 15kmpl in Kolkata city traffic. 100% A/C and at-least 3 people on board always. So this is checked also.

3. Maintenance. This forum it self is a testimonial to that part. It is cheap enough. Unless you run into some accident, regular cost is very low.

4. Ford ASS. Availability of the service center isn't an issue in metro city, specially cities like Chennai. Here in Kolkata, I have around 6/7 service centers within my driving distance (30 km radius) from 3 dealers. I have visited 2 different service station from different dealership and I am pretty happy with both.

5/6. Safety and budget. Considering your budget, Figo TDCi Ambiente may squeeze in with Dual AirBags, ABS, EBD.
Old 13th July 2017, 15:53   #40

Hi,
Keeping your requirements in mind, I would suggest Maruti Suzuki Ritz LDi, but unfortunately Ritz production is stopped since start of this year. You can opt for Maruti Suzuki Ertiga VDi, it's fuel efficient, low maintenance & have wide service network PAN India.
Old 13th July 2017, 16:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The only diesel car which will sit comfortably in your budget is the Tata Tiago. If you can stretch a bit, then I'd suggest you to take a look at the Ford Figo Trend and the Ignis Delta.
I second this.

Tiago may not be the fanciest car available but its a bang for the buck. Tata has definitely improved its quality in this small chap. It is decently spaced (not extravagant but comfortable).

I would also have checked out the Swift Zdi with a bit of a stretch in the budget. It would be an awesome fit to your requirements and would command a lovely resale value as well. Though it's a generation older, it is a very practical car for the price if you take into account the end of life value.

If you are up for looking at higher cars do check out the FIGO & the JAZZ. I am actually am happy with the generation leap which the Figo displays over its older gen. It has changed dramatically over the last gen.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 16:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
The Etios is probably the only car in this range with a proven safety rating for India. It would be my choice of car for the parameter described.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rash-test.html
Oh! this is news to me. Well, then, those are my three contenders Etios is quite clearly a smoother ride in the city viz a viz the Figo.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 17:45   #43
BHPian

My vote is for the Etios. I do the same amount of travel everyday between a Fiesta, Polo GT and Altis. Why id recommend the Etios

> Safety since you travel a lot.
> Toyota - Service costs are reasonable, reliability and resale.
> It is fuel efficient and has a super light clutch.
> Spacious interiors.

Overall its a no frills package which will get you from point A to B efficiently for a solid 3,00,000 kms before any serious issues.
commander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 18:33   #44

May I suggest the Tata Nano?

The XM variant has power steering and AC. My quick calculation is:

On Road Price: ~ Rs 3,00,000
Your Minimum Budget: Rs 5,00,000

Difference Between Your Budget and Car's on-road price: Rs 2,00,000
Your monthly fuel bill:

110 km / 16 kmpl (lets take the lower value) = 6.8 lts per day
Per day cost: 6.8 * 70 (Approx) = Rs 476;
Thus monthly: Rs 476 * 24 = Rs 11424

So number of months you drive by spend the money left in your budget:
Rs 200000 / Rs 11424 = ~17.5 months, that's around one and a half year!

Also you will have Tata's warranty. So maintenance cost should be minimal.

In the above equation the Nano's mileage is kept at a bare minimum for highway. The equation will make more sense if the real mileage figures are taken into account.

Assumptions:
1. The Nano will be bought without taking out a loan. In any case, if you are taking a loan, then the Nano equation still stays strong.

Few cons:
1. The car will be less safe. However, it will be as safe as the Santro.
2. The image of the Tata Nano, though I believe that the image has really changed offlate.
3. Limited top speed. However, few months back, I used to do 95 kms per day in an Indigo eCS CR4. (In Kolkata, Behala-Bantala-Unitech-Bantala-Behala). I realised that when we are travelling long distances, higher top speed hardly makes any difference. Rather it makes one tired due to the increased alertness. 80kmph is the sweet spot. Less tiredness, safer during tire blowouts, more mileage, less wear and tear and more inner peace. So, in my opinion, a Nano's 80kmph is good enough.

The Pros:
1. The space. Much like your Santro.
2. The economics. Makes much sense from finance standpoint.
3. Being a Nano owner, I can vouch for its reliability.
4. (Solely my opinion), I feel the Nano is a future classic car. So, picking one up today may give you a future classic in your hands.

P.S. I drive a Nano now, and I love it.
TSourav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2017, 18:34   #45
BHPian

My suggestion would be amongst the following two (though it would stretch your budget a bit):
- Figo Diesel (Trend or Titanium)
- Baleno Delta Diesel

My pick would be the Baleno though for the following reasons:
- A proper upgrade from a small hatchback
- Excellent front seats that will make your long drives less back-breaking
- Good service support
- Bigger tyres
- Loaded with features

While I recommend the Figo, I wouldn't recommend the Aspire as the rear headroom is poor and has a very impractical boot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks