Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: Which car would you recommend with comfort being the top most priority ?
Toyota Innova Crysta Diesel Automatic 143 63.00%
Toyota Corolla Altis CVT Petrol 84 37.00%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2017, 23:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Toyota: Corolla vs Innova Crysta, with comfort as top priority?

Corolla Altis.

I have owned two Toyotas (previous gen Corolla Altis - own and Fortuner - sold) and have extensively been driven around in Innova / crysta. Innova (when new) has some amount of body roll. But give it 70-80 kms on the odo and she moves like a boat. Atleast thats my view after being chauffeured around in a similarly run corolla (mine has done 90kms).
Another MUV you can consider is the BRV. Low on safety and build quality but drives like a car and has 80% of the practicality / space of the Crysta at 50% of the price.
FAIAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 08:54   #32
BHPian

Considering that your car is self driven, the Corolla Altis wins by a HUGE margin. I would consider a car like the Innova / Hexa or any big SUV only as a second car in the house. Parking, reversing and turning around even in narrow roads is impossible in a big vehicle.

Alternatively, you can retain the Etios and get a Hexa. That takes care of reliability and also you will have a backup vehicle. Two cars is always better than 1 reliable car. The 4-5 lakh difference between the two cars will easily take care of maintenance of both cars.
Old 25th July 2017, 09:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why not buy the Innova Crysta Petrol AT then? It is available in the 7 seater AT configuration and you should be able to save more than 2 lakhs on road, which can later be used for fuel.
I did think about it. But, for lugging such a heavy vehicle, the Petrol might not be the best bet. I might end up keeping the rpms high to get some fun and that will just destroy the mileage which is already at a very low value. The best thing about the turbo charged Diesel engines with low turbo lag is that you can have a good balance between smooth driving and short quick acceleration, all that without compromising on the economy. With the Petrol, especially on heavy vehicles, you end up driving either in the "power/low efficiency mode" or "smooth/moderate efficiency mode". The innova Diesel's peak torque delivery from as low an rpm as 1200 rpms all the way till 3400 is the idealistic way of how a torque curve should be on Indian roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
I will be buying a car in the next 6 months and currently have zeroed on Corolla because of its comfort and reliability. What I'm still undecided is whether I should opt for an AT version or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
6. CVT is again a very poor choice of transmission in that price bracket.
Highly recommend going for the AT. The Super CVT used on the Corolla is originally designed for the Lexus and is one of the best CVTs you can get it in the market. Check out https://www.torquenews.com/1083/how-...-transmissions to get a better idea about this transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please check the comfort of a captain seat equipped SUV and the one which comes with regular seats. Sometimes passengers like to stretch or sit cross legged or you would like to rest in an emergency [of course in a stationery vehicle] and this is where practically choosing the seats will be a blessing in disguise.
If given a choice, I will opt for regular seats for my 4WD S10. Happy shopping
Won't the 3rd row solve most of these issues ? And the business class mode using the 1st and 2nd row of the Innova is also a very flexible seating position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
3. Higher GC means you need not mentally bother about a few speedbreakers and potholes, not to mention pesky two wheelers in traffic. Peace of mind when driving/being driven.
In fact, the GC of the new Corolla is pretty high for a sedan. Even though, it cannot stampede over humps like the way the Innova does, it can smoothly sale over most humps without bringing it to dead slow speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
5. Easy entry and egress for people of all ages compared to the Corolla.
I'll have to cross check on this. There are different opinions coming here. I'll have to find out which of the 2 is easier - climbing up an innova or crawling into a Corolla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
I would also recommend that you consider Tata Hexa and Skoda Octavia once. Just take a TD.
The only vehicle which I find is more comfortable than the Crysta is the Hexa. But, I'm not that courageous yet to spend 20L plus on a TATA/Skoda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
You can also consider a used older gen. Innova or a used Fortuner.
Comfort is the priority. So, Fortuner is not even an option.
Automatic is a must. So, old gen Innova is not an option as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In the area of comfort, no sedan can beat a good UV with captain seats (Innova, Hexa etc.). The higher seating position, bucket seats in the middle row, ample legroom and individual armrest make for an unbeatable combination.
The only question mark is whether those family members with knee problems are okay with getting into an Innova (i.e. ingress). If yes, that would be my recommendation.
In 2 lines, you nailed this comparison. Thank you! If ingress/egress is not an issue, I might most certainly go for the Crysta. The worst case is that I might have to sell this after 10 years even though it can last for 15 plus years easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The Altis is far better in road handling, engine refinement and overall fit and finish. Make no mistake, it IS a comfortable car, especially in the backseat, compared to most choices in the D1 segment but when compared with the Innova it comes up short. Given a choice between an Altis or Innova for a comfortable long distance journey I'd always take the latter.
Thanks for the honest views. Having come from a person who has used both vehicles gives a lot of confidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Of the two, I would suggest to go for the Crysta. My friend is owning a Corolla Altis AT and seating is low. Ingress/Egress will be a problem for the elderly/people with knee issues. Sitting in one for long distances can be an issue for people with knee problems. A chair like sitting position is always preferred in that case.
This is exactly what I was concerned about in the sedan. Will extensively test it out by taking both these cars for a long drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
1. Body roll. Kerala highways can be taxing in Innova: lot of twists, frequent braking due to high traffic in narrow roads. This should not be a concern for city commute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Innova is no boat....err, Xylo. Body roll is well controlled. As long as the driver takes things easy around corners (which he must do in a UV), I don't see cause for complaint.
Incidentally, we'd rented an Innova when we toured Kerala for a week. Wouldn't pick any other cab. It was mighty comfortable.
I don't do fast cornering on winding roads even on sedan/hatch as it can become very uncomfortable for the passengers. It will always be smooth on such roads. The target will be to avoid any situations which forces me to brake and accelerate.
Quote:
2. Smooth AT that can take off and halt without abrupt jerks.
I know that Corolla Altis Super CVT is one of the smoothest around. How good is the Crysta's AT as far as smoothness is concerned ?
Quote:
3. NVH
With peak torque available right from 1200 rpms, there is no need to rev an Innova. And I guess the NVH stays well within control on the lower side of 2500 rpms.
Quote:
4. Enlightened driver
Altis with the super CVT is more of a driver's car. But, if the additional driver effort of the Innova can give a comfortable journey on long drives, I'm all for it.
Quote:
7. Missing niceties like ambient lighting on the corolla
Don't care about the niceties much. If the lower automatic variant of the Crysta provided curtain airbags and seat height adjustment features, I would have preferred that variant over the Z any day.
Quote:
8. You'll throw out the corolla out of the consideration set if you test drive an Octy 1.8 Tsi
I'm more than happy with the power of Corolla Altis on typical Indian driving conditions. And I'm growing older as well. During my younger days, I used to do 160 kmph with the Etios, but now has toned it down and always try and stay within the speed limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Adding to the list, Why not consider the XUV500 ?
Its a comfortable 5 Seater / Occasional 7 Seater (with loads of room in middle row)
Monocoque, providing better ride and handling
It's an SUV, not an MUV/MPV and ride is on the stiffer side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
A "lateral-thinking" suggestion- have you explored any pre-owned Camry's ? They will come at a cheaper price and be way more comfortable than either of your choices...
Yes, added that to the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If i were to buy a new Toyota automatic in this price range I would chose the Crysta AT 8 seater once again. There are no new issues to report what has been reported has been solved by Toyota to my complete satisfaction.
That's confidence inspiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Sire, why not the Isuzu SUV?
Because I do not want to get stuck with a brand which I'm not sure will survive in India 5 to 15 years from now. Add to that, the spare issues inherent with any low volume model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
One question (and pardon me if I missed the answer) - do you self drive. If so the Corolla is far superior to the Crysta. The only reason to go for the Crysta is because you do 1500 km a month - in ten years, the Crysta at 180 k kms would still be good, but I think the Corolla will be showing its age.
Yes, I do drive myself. Even though, the ladder on frame Toyotas can last a lifetime, doesn't mean that its sedans don't last. I've travelled in Camrys which has done 6.5 lakh kms and it still drives like new. The corollas in the middle east do 5 lakhs plus kms easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
I could feel slight judder @ 20 - 30 Kmph in Innova automatic. There is noticeable drone inside the cabin at higher engine rpm, also. Below 3000 rpm, it felt smooth.
Can you please explain this more ? Was it the same every time, you were on 20-30 kmph or was it a one off case ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
Corolla Altis.
But give it 70-80 kms on the odo and she moves like a boat. Atleast thats my view after being chauffeured around in a similarly run corolla (mine has done 90kms).
Did you mean to say that Innova above 80-90 kmph is uncomfortable on a highway ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
Another MUV you can consider is the BRV. Low on safety and build quality but drives like a car and has 80% of the practicality / space of the Crysta at 50% of the price.
Have checked this out. Didn't feel good about it. And Honda is notorious for spare availability during accident repairs with their lesser sold models. My friend who own a Honda Amaze has faced this multiple times.

Last edited by amalji : 25th July 2017 at 09:34.
Old 25th July 2017, 10:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

The new Innova just carries the legacy brand image of being indestructible, which was very much part of its DNA in previous Avatar as well as in Qualis. It is certainly leveraging the brand image, while the product is not up to the mark.

A friend has both, the previous gen Innova and the new Cryata; while he was willing to part ways with the former after acquiring the new Crysta, in just about 6 months of ownership, he has decided otherwise and is now retaining both. He is somehow not happy with the new Crysta; leave aside poor milage (he use to get about 14 kmpl from the old one, while the new one gives just about 9.5) the engine is bigger though, but this is what he was not expecting from the new age engine, which should have been efficient. He claims that the old one was better made while the new one has cost cutting everywhere.

The other day he was showing me the glass thickness of windows with engineering scale, and it was thicker in the old car. He says even the seats are better in old one, he has captain seats for middle row in both cars.

In terms of quality and proven product, I would suggest Corolla over the new Crysta.

Last edited by i74js : 25th July 2017 at 10:08.
i74js is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 10:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

So it is clear you only want a T-Badge. Go for Corolla If your running is low/need a car mainly for city runabouts and occasional highway runs. For everything else go for Innova Crysta.
Couple of other things to note:
1. Resale for Corolla is not going to be as good as Innova.
2. Corolla is 4 seater at best if all passengers are full size.
3. Innova is going to be difficult to manage if you plan to drive a lot in city.

I was in Toyota showroom last weekend and did not find any perceivable difference w.r.to quality among two. People talk a lot about plastic quality, to me generally two cars in same price bracket have similar quality. For instance Vento and Ecosport(Both which i owned earlier) to me had more or less similar quality and same holds true for Corolla and Innova.
Old 25th July 2017, 11:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Can you please explain this more ? Was it the same every time, you were on 20-30 kmph or was it a one off case ?
I don't think its a one off case, I could feel it every time while coasting down to 20 - 30 Kmph from higher speed. I was in normal drive mode, it is not severe, but perceivable.

Last edited by ecenandu : 25th July 2017 at 12:00.
Old 25th July 2017, 11:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
The Innova has far too much body roll - so while the Captain seats are great, you get sea sick in city traffic conditions or on twisty roads.
+1 to that. Me and quite a few of my colleagues feel uncomfortable in an Innova due to high body roll. So much so that I have seen people preferring Etios over Innova in the ghat sections.

Corolla all the way for me.
Old 25th July 2017, 12:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
+1 to that. Me and quite a few of my colleagues feel uncomfortable in an Innova due to high body roll. So much so that I have seen people preferring Etios over Innova in the ghat sections.
Don't you think if driven sensibly the body roll can be controlled? You cannot expect driving dynamics of a sedan for a MUV.
Old 25th July 2017, 13:01   #39
BHPian

Been using the Old Innova since 2007. 143000 on the ODO and have driven with family to all possible hills and beaches in South+Goa+ Pune and an one off trip to Delhi and Jim Corbett- from Bangalore.

And I have also driven extensively couple of other sedan's, Baleno earlier and Scala CVT currently. In my(possibly uninitiated) view body roll is a combined effect of driver's skill and anticipation + road conditions (winding or not)+ car design and NOT car alone. And trust me with proper driving Innova is designed to behave just like a sedan.

Here is my 2 cents- my younger daughter - who was 2 when we bought the car gets very motion sick in most other cars, who probably would have traveled 90% of those kilometers( this was always a vacation car)had this sickness just once in Innova and she is going to be thirteen now.

And I have personally felt many a times while on Innova taxi's the body roll, and in my view that's due to the driving style of most cabbies.

I have also been recently on a long road trip in my friend's Crysta - and it was luxurious, much less road noise in the cabin. But yes the plastics felt a little cheaper compared to the old one. Also felt a little less airy, may be due to darker interiors. But otherwise it was just fantastic!

On knee pain- I am 6'2"( and 50!) and used to get knee pain in any drive that lasted beyond say 5-6 hours in Sedan's (any sedan including a Merc) but never in an Innova. Ingress and egress difficulty for elders pales in comparison if you consider the long distance comfort.

So in my view, it is Innova all the way !

(PS: The old fortuner(in 2012) and Isuzu MUX that I recently test-drove as possible replacement options, were both rejected quickly by family because of the considerable body roll and here I am back with my old horse of soon to be 11!)

Last edited by subbu567 : 25th July 2017 at 13:07.
subbu567 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 13:05   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the Innova's infamous body roll, nearly every vehicle with high CG will have this issue. The Mahindra Scorpio has got to be one of the worst I've been in when it comes to body roll. Forget a boat, this one's like a rubber dinghy on the open seas.

I think it's very important for the DRIVER to realise the nature of the vehicle and the type of terrain he's/she's driving in and endeavour not to do the 'Schumacher' in the twisties. I've have some "friends-cum-moron-drivers" who try to show off their driving skills and/or car's road holding capabilities without a care in the world for passenger comfort. And frankly I am not impressed by this sort of behavior.

IMO keeping passenger comfort in mind is a direct reflection on the experience and maturity of the driver. Innovas and most SUVs/MUVs aren't meant for wanna-be-racers with passengers in the backseat.

Last edited by R2D2 : 25th July 2017 at 13:06.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 13:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Don't you think if driven sensibly the body roll can be controlled? You cannot expect driving dynamics of a sedan for a MUV.
It can be definitely. But, I am comparing when both are driven in a similar way when they are not pushed hard. Higher GC contributing to more body roll probably. From my perspective, control of body roll contributes greatly to passenger comfort. But others might have different priorities.

Last edited by sups : 25th July 2017 at 13:08.
Old 25th July 2017, 13:37   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking for a comfortable cruiser in the 20 lakhs range.
The only reason why I'm thinking of a new car is for an automatic and along with that, I'm just trying to rope in the comfort factor as well.
Quote:
There are other factors which I did consider like
  • Reliable automatic transmission
  • Whether the brand can be trusted in the long run ( 10+ years )
  • Safety
  • Space ( If the passengers need to stretch their legs during a long drive, they should be able to do that even if 4 people are in the car. )
  • torque availability at practical rpms.
  • Reliability and robustness of the technology used
  • Efficient and easy on the environment.
The priorities for me are
  • Ergonomics/Practicality wins over aesthetics/features
  • Reliability/Durability wins over flashiness/bleeding edge technology
  • Shape of the torque curve and where the torque is available more important than the BHP numbers
  • Airiness and view of the outside more important than some of the weirdly designed rear windows for the sake of exterior looks. Even with the Crysta's 3rd row windows, I find this problem.
  • Safety more important than the cost.
I would urge you to look at a decent pre owned Corolla Altis VL AT of 2011-13 vintage which came with a cvt, or a 2009-10 which came with a 4 speed AT.

These options are very fuel efficient and offer a good mix of reliability and value.

If you must go new and want space, flexibility, reliability and GC in one package, go for the BRV petrol CVT.

I just helped a friend zero in on this; the space management options and comfort inside is excellent.Take a look, please.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 14:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Innova Crysta AT.

It was tough to vote as Corolla is a capable performer and scores well on refinement thanks to petrol motor and offers an absorbent ride in urban environment. I found Innova to be a bit stiff. However, as the roads open up, Innova has a huge advantage of larger diesel motor and robust underpinnings. Innova can eat rougher patches of typical Indian highways with ease that Corolla can only dream of. Plus easier ingress and egress. My parents absolutely hate low slung cars now, thanks to ease offered by Innova (first gen) that we have. The captain's seats are super comfortable with overall seats being better than Corolla. Larger and airy cabin adds to comfort over long distance traveling.

Innova is an effortless cruiser well suited to Indian conditions. Also, given the success of Innova, getting spares should be easier for Innova than Corolla. We had a slow selling sedan (Baleno 1.6) and had a tough time getting spares in a smaller city like Vadodara.

Corolla : Better in urban conditions
Innova : Well suited to Indian Highways

Last edited by aaggoswami : 25th July 2017 at 14:14.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 14:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbu567 View Post
In my(possibly uninitiated) view body roll is a combined effect of driver's skill and anticipation + road conditions (winding or not)+ car design and NOT car alone.
Nailed it.

I drive little faster whenever I take Linea out for a spin on the same route I do in City. From driver's perspective it is very evident but I don't think a non-enthusiast passenger will be able to feel the difference. Comfort is a subjective matter and it is very difficult have a definite conclusion.

The comparison what we have on this thread is unique as we are comparing two cars from different segments and each have its own strong points.

EDIT:

Didn't notice the chipping of Toyota emblem on the steering wheel while taking the test drive. The car has done 21k Kilometers.

Name:  Screen Shot 20170725 at 2.53.51 PM.png
Views: 2132
Size:  479.7 KB

Last edited by ecenandu : 25th July 2017 at 15:01.
Old 25th July 2017, 17:06   #45
BHPian

I am in the same dilemma. If Innova AT V with 8 seater comes up, will opt for that - family never liked Innova's captains chair 2nd row. While quality of plastics are great, somehow the Crysta doesn't feel (while touching, poking around etc) as solid as my 2007 model Innova - that 10 year one with 100K km still feels more solid and runs very well - every time I do a TD, I come back to the decision of keeping the same car. Another option I'm considering is to TD the new Octavia 1.8TSI Style AT - not sure about resale value though and if it is that car, won't be keeping it for more than 4 years; that is purely going to be a temporary cure for midlife crisis especially since my weekly mileage is about 1000km with 800km on highways Isuzu MU-X is also extremely good and VFM - but doesn't fit in my apartment parking lot. You might want to try that as well.

Most Viewed