Team-BHP - Toyota: Corolla vs Innova Crysta, with comfort as top priority?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   Toyota: Corolla vs Innova Crysta, with comfort as top priority? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/188816-toyota-corolla-vs-innova-crysta-comfort-top-priority-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amalji (Post 4239784)
In 2 lines, you nailed this comparison. Thank you! If ingress/egress is not an issue, I might most certainly go for the Crysta. The worst case is that I might have to sell this after 10 years even though it can last for 15 plus years easily.

A lot can happen in 10 years. The rule might not be there, the government might not be there, Toyota might not be there, the Innova might not be there, I might not be there, you might not be there...don't plan a new car purchase based on the situation in 2027. Get the car best suited to your needs & enjoy it to the fullest.

Worst case, if the 10-year ban is still in place, you'll be able to easily sell an Innova in a city / town without the 10-year rule. If history is anything to go by, the Innova will be costing 50 lakhs in 2027 and you'll get 15 lakhs for your 10 year old example :D.

Between these two, I will pick Innova for the rough road friendliness. Cities get flooded all the time and it is not gonna get better. I live in Gurgaon and will definitely pick an M/SUV over sedan any day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4238494)
Please check the comfort of a captain seat equipped SUV and the one which comes with regular seats. Sometimes passengers like to stretch or sit cross legged or you would like to rest in an emergency [of course in a stationery vehicle] and this is where practically choosing the seats will be a blessing in disguise.

If given a choice, I will opt for regular seats for my 4WD S10. Happy shopping :)

I also have clear preference for bench seats for exact same reason. Even if I am traveling alone, I put stuff besides me on the bench or just stretch the legs. Considering the price difference, would have picked HEXA. Long term reliability might still an issue, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4240215)
Worst case, if the 10-year ban is still in place, you'll be able to easily sell an Innova in a city / town without the 10-year rule. If history is anything to go by, the Innova will be costing 50 lakhs in 2027 and you'll get 15 lakhs for your 10 year old example :D.

We bought Innova G in 2007 for about 8.75 lakhs. I was planning to sell it(which I dropped for now) and have got quotes ranging from 7-9 lacs. I haven't heard of car appreciating after using it for 10 years!
The GX Innova Crysta is now going to cost me 18.75 which I plan to take delivery this week. 8.75 to 18.75 in 10 years.

My general sense is that tall people prefer Innova seats because they find sedans very cramped. Just sitting in a sedan itself can be a torture for tall people, so the discussion never progresses beyond space. That is totally understandable. For someone like me with family members of medium build, space is hardly a point of discussion and consequently suspension, NVH and smooth AT become my focus.

Innova may be exceptional at 100 things but if you don't need a lot of space and big seats it is not a good choice IMHO. People would buy an Innova and build the most luxurious custom interiors if it had the "DNA" to give ride comfort. Obviously comfort is relative. If you don't notice body roll, jerky gear changes, brake bites and all the rattle caused by luggage in the cabin but are just pleased to have gone over a rough patch without scraping the bottom (while passengers give you the dirty looks) then yes you don't need a sedan. Low GC not only adds to comfort due to the physics of it, but the driver is constrained to navigate rough patches carefully which adds to the comfort factor. Not practical but surely comfortable.

Having said all that I won't recommend Corolla :) Innova is good at many things and a good driver can make it comfortable. That driver will also be a good son, husband, neighbour, citizen, etc. We have a Corolla (had the first version which I am a big fan of, replaced by the latest version) and I refuse to drive it because it just reminds me how I let Toyota steal my money.

Toyota Camry Hybrid is an exceptional car and they haven't cheapened it yet (which is very important to me emotionally).

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaggoswami (Post 4240029)

Corolla : Better in urban conditions
Innova : Well suited to Indian Highways

Well said. Just thought of something else - revealed preference. My employer usually allows folks to choose between a Corolla and an Innova when traveling on work. I checked the data - virtually everyone opts for the Corolla while driving in urban areas. But most opt for the Innova if they are traveling inter city (even Bombay Poona or Delhi Agra).

Let me start by saying that there is nothing wrong in both the cars and they have consistently delivered on the promise of comfort and quality in Indian conditions.

But if I have to choose between the two, I will choose the corolla. I have had both and driven them extensively too: Altis for 70k kms and Innova for 1.52L kms. The only place where the Innova is better is on bad roads, urban or rural, owing to its higher GC. But speaking purely from a comfort point of view, then the corolla takes the crown both in terms of driving comfort and passenger comfort. The Innova is spacious in the sense that one can sit cross legged if they want, stretch their hands and legs as much as they want and so on. But the seating angle and perhaps the seating comfort per se is better in the Corolla. Every time we have travelled for long distances, all of us have come out less tired in the corolla as compared to the Innova, although the version we owned was the 8 seater one and things might be different for the captain seat variant.

Hi Amalji,

I would like to add my 2 cents here.
From what I have read till now, you want a car which can munch miles on highways and possibly be driven in city sometimes.

While the Corrola is a great car, I just feel, a SUV/ MUV is the winner here.
With Innova, you can be assured that it will do great on the highways.
Plus in a city like Bangalore, now a days it does not make too much of a difference what size of car you are driving, as most of the offices have parking facilities, apartments have parking facilities and the places where you usually go to shop or for recreation in cities like Bangalore are limited to Malls, which again have parking spaces.

So if you were to find parking for a smaller car, it is just as much possible you will be able to find parking for a bigger car.

Also in terms of command in traffic, I would be more scared if I were on a two wheeler (I don't ride FYI), to cut a mighty and aggressive looking Innova versus a well maintained and expensive looking Corrola.

Plus, I feel battle marks suit a SUV more, than a Sedan any day. Not suggesting you to drive rash, but with our traffic conditions, it is very difficult to maintain a car scratch free.

Lastly, regarding the diesel ban, like GTO said, you cannot plan for 2027.
Going by government statement, they want to all electric by 2030, so it is possible that fuel will become ridiculously expensive, and driving petrol or diesel cars might just be a rich mans hobby ?

Cheers,
ZMG

Considering your budget and requirements, have you considered some of the used SUVs such as a Merc GLA for example ?

I'm guessing they provide the comfort of the automatic plus more luxury to travel comfortably than an Innova.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecenandu (Post 4239679)
We are also in a similar dilemma, so test drove both car, back to back today. We are going to replace our Honda City iVtec 08,

Innova Z AT will be replacing the City. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anand_lukose (Post 4242466)
Considering your budget and requirements, have you considered some of the used SUVs such as a Merc GLA for example ?

I'm guessing they provide the comfort of the automatic plus more luxury to travel comfortably than an Innova.

GLA will just not be able to match the Innova for comfort and space. The captain seats have perfect ergonomics. It's probably closest to sitting at home.

GLA diesel can't match the Innova's performance as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy (Post 4242995)
GLA will just not be able to match the Innova for comfort and space. The captain seats have perfect ergonomics. It's probably closest to sitting at home.

GLA diesel can't match the Innova's performance as well.

Same thoughts here. I rented a GLA Diesel once and compared to my Innova AT the GLA felt tame. Interior was not all that great either and it didn't feel spacious. Driving the GLA felt like driving a larger hatchback. Corolla would be a better option than GLA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amalji (Post 4237861)
I'm looking for a comfortable cruiser in the 20 lakhs range.

Sorry to revive the old thread . But Amalji what was your decision ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ansumaan (Post 4309154)
Sorry to revive the old thread . But Amalji what was your decision ?

Right now, I'm in favour of the crysta. But it still have the following concerns.

Keeping all of this in mind, I've booked a self drive crysta for 4 days for a trip early next year. Will use this opportunity to do an extensive test drive and review. The buying decision will be taken post that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amalji (Post 4309988)
Right now, I'm in favour of the crysta. But it still have the following concerns.

May I add some confusion at this point? :D

I happened to buy a pre owned 2010 Corolla AT and so far have clocked a little over 4000 kms on it in 2 months time. Note that this is with the stone age 4-speed torque converter.

Here are some of my observations:

- Surprisingly a breeze to potter around the city and you can take her to gullies as well.
- A reverse camera might be needed if you are frequently in unfamiliar parking locations with potential obstacles. I've mostly been at predictable parking locations where I've lived with ORVM+IRVM.
- My father who is 5' 1" takes sometime to get in, my mother who is 5' 4" didnt.
- All (parents, wife and kids) vouch for the long distance comfort. All concurred rear is the place to be in. I can't comment on it, since I've never sat except when stationary.
- All a tall driver (5' 11") I feel under thigh support is less. But was not a bother during my long distance cruising.
- So far I've cruised 600-700 km a day without a sweat, these included 200-300 km of 2-lanes, KL roads. One trip I did 700-500-300 on back to back days and was at work on Day 4.
- Handling is decent.

As a full-time self-driven car, am fully satisfied with the comfort from the Corolla. Heck I don't even have complaints on its FE (10.x city, 14.x highway).

As a pre-owned, the Corolla came at a lower upfront cost when compared to the outrageous Innova resale prices. I was seeing 2013 Corolla CVT 30K around 13.xx L around the time I bought this.