Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2017, 16:18   #1
BHPian

Hyundai: Elantra vs Creta

Hi All,

I need the advice soon as I am planning to book one of these this week itself. I booked the new Verna, but cancelled it as I did not like the way the petrol version handles and the way the steering feels. Elantra is way better in those departments.

Now I have to choose between the following 2 models:
1. Elantra AT SX (O) Petrol
2. Creta SX (O) Diesel MT (the top version is diesel only and MT only)

Few things to consider:
1. Car would be used by me and my better half majorly in the city.
2. I would be moving from Gurgaon to Bangalore soon, hence the AT comes into mind. Never driven a Creta MT before.
3. A lot of weekend trips to be planned from Bangalore - may be one every quarter.
4. Presently I own a Linea (MJD) - this car had been to and fro from Bangalore.
5. Would need suggestions on GC front for Bangalore and water logging situation, Linea has a great 180MM GC. Never faced issues in Bangalore.
6. The better half loves the features in Elantra.
7. How difficult is it for Creta MT in Bangalore traffic?
8. Is the higher road view really helpful in Bangalore traffic?
9. Dad is saying to go for Creta AT as extra safety features don't matter in city and occasional highway drives, but I am insisting on those.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

*Mods, please feel free to edit or move the thread as needed, was unable to find much info on forum search on the new Elantra*

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 12:58. Reason: Poorly typed post.
Mindgrinder is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th August 2017, 16:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai: Elantra vs Creta

Looks like you are comparing Apples with Cashew nuts here!

The Elantra will set you back by a cool 22 lakhs, whereas the Creta can be had for a mere 17 lakhs.

Anyways, here are some views from a Bangalore resident.

Quote:
5. Would need suggestions on GC front for Bangalore and water logging situation, linea has a great 180MM GC never faced issues in Bangalore.
GC should be top priority for Bangalore. Water logging situation is VERY bad.

Quote:
6. The better half loves the features in elantra.
She is right. Those extra features are definitely worth loving.

Quote:
7. How difficult is it for Creta MT in Bangalore traffic?
Not very difficult for the occasional use as the Diesel Motor is tractable.

However, if you planning to use it as a daily beater, then you should consider an Auto Box.

Quote:
8. Is the higher road view really helpful in Bangalore traffic?
Not really.

Quote:
9. Dad is saying to go for Creta AT as extra safety features don't matter in city and occasional highway drives, but i am insisting on those.
You are right here. Insist more.

After looking at your requirements, I would suggest you to evaluate the Tucson.
The petrol Tucson can be had for 22.5 Lakhs, which is not bad value.

The Tucson has all the gizmos of the Elantra, But with much higher ground clearance and more space to boast of.

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 13:00. Reason: Please use QUOTE tags in your replies - thanks!
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 18:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Looks like you are comparing Apples with Cashew nuts here!

The Elantra will set you back by a cool 22 lakhs, whereas the Creta can be had for a mere 17 lakhs.

The Tucson has all the gizmos of the Elantra, But with much higher ground clearance and more space to boast of.
Thanks for the suggestions, but i am getting the Elantra for 1894000 on road and my new company will refund the road tax difference, Tucson AT is costing around 24 lakh on road so the difference is high.
Mindgrinder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 19:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post

The price you mention is for the base variant of Tucson. The petrol GL AT is close to 26l. I'm not sure, but the base variant comes with 2 airbags, and is pretty low on gizmos too.

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 13:01. Reason: Poorly typed posts.
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 29th August 2017, 21:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Elantra AT SX (O) vs Creta SX (O) MT

Elantra is my choice here. It just feels way more special. The automatic is a must, considering Bangalore traffic over the next 6 years of ownership. Don't forget the Metro work just follows you around.

Water logging is a issue only in a few areas. Best to avoid those areas if there is heavy rain prediction or just Uber.

The cooled seats are just awesome. Also the drives on highways will be much safer in the Elantra than the Creta.

We should meet once you move to Bangalore.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 29th August 2017 at 21:39.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 21:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

The one thing that goes against the Elantra Petrol AT would be the low mileage it would return, 6-7 kmpl in the city, probably a max of 10-11 kmpl on the highway in spirited driving. Hyundai petrols have never known to be miserly petrol sippers. So beware.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 22:19   #7
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The only thing going for the Creta is the higher mileage and the higher ground clearance of the car. You need to evaluate how much the above two mentioned parameters are important to you. The Elantra exceeds the Creta in almost every other parameter. The base model of Tucson or the Jeep Compass Longitude(O) are the other alternatives you can look at.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 23:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Elantra is my choice here. It just feels way more special. The automatic is a must, considering Bangalore traffic over the next 6 years of ownership. Don't forget the Metro work just follows you around.

Water logging is a issue only in a few areas. Best to avoid those areas if there is heavy rain prediction or just Uber.

The cooled seats are just awesome. Also the drives on highways will be much safer in the Elantra than the Creta.

We should meet once you move to Bangalore.
Thanks man, sure we will definitely catch up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The one thing that goes against the Elantra Petrol AT would be the low mileage it would return, 6-7 kmpl in the city, probably a max of 10-11 kmpl on the highway in spirited driving. Hyundai petrols have never known to be miserly petrol sippers. So beware.
Hmmm thanks for the tip but i believe our running won't be much as i plan to stay near the office, considering its Bangalore. I have faced the pain earlier by living 18 km away from office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The only thing going for the Creta is the higher mileage and the higher ground clearance of the car. You need to evaluate how much the above two mentioned parameters are important to you. The Elantra exceeds the Creta in almost every other parameter. The base model of Tucson or the Jeep Compass Longitude(O) are the other alternatives you can look at.
Tucson i a little out of the budget on road and Jeep compass was ruled out by the home minister also the petrol DCT is still not out, don't know how it would turn out to be.

Thanks for the advice everybody, till now Elantra makes more sense, as Arjun suggested that water logging is not in every area i might avoid them or use an uber, i think i have to keep a vigil on BTP's FB page to know the water logging situation

Last edited by Mindgrinder : 29th August 2017 at 23:19.
Mindgrinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 13:06   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai: Elantra vs Creta

It's a no-brainer here. The Elantra is a vastly superior car in nearly every way. The Creta is comparable more to the cheaper Verna than the Elantra. The 2017 Elantra is well-priced, looks stunning, has sweet interiors, a refined driving experience and a neutral suspension.

Go for it .
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 21:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
Hmmm thanks for the tip but i believe our running won't be much as i plan to stay near the office, considering its Bangalore. I have faced the pain earlier by living 18 km away from office
Have you ever considered the Honda City CVT ZX, I've the VX CVT and it's very good and delivers better mileage than Elantra and would also have a better resale down the line. I've been driving it around for the last 5 months and have done 2 outstation trips and can vouch for it. Give it a try if you haven't tried it till now! You'd be pleasantly surprised! Piloting City in peak city traffic is absolute nirvana! Come to think of it, I haven't touched my old Elantra for quite sometime now, may be I'm going soft with age & the CVT has completely spoilt me! Any how decide fast as the 25% cess on big cars is all set to kick in!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 30th August 2017 at 21:29.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 22:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Elantra is the better car. No comparison, nearly any D-Segment sedan will feel more premium, inside and outside with better build, better seats, better comfort, better driving experience etc. BUT, and I say this with a heavy heart, Bangalore roads just don't permit you to drive these cars in a calm state of mind. I detest SUVs and pseudo SUVs but one simply needs either tougher suspension, or higher ground clearance in Bangalore so I'd say go for the Creta.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 22:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

For Bangalore, I would highly recommend an AT. Traffic is in a total mess, though the roads are bad, its not that hopeless (yet!!) so I guess GC should not be a big deal as most companies are located in the ORR/EC/Whitefield belt which has decent roads

So I would rate AT to be more important than the GC. However, if Creta is your choice - why not try the AT (though you will have to adjust with a lower spec). Even the top end Creta is no match for Elantra anyways.

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2017 at 09:48. Reason: Poorly typed posts.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st August 2017, 06:12   #13
BHPian

If you can stretch budget then, please look for Octavia also. Driving a DSG box is unparalleled, till the day it breaks down!

If size is not a concern then check for XUV500 AT also, has both safety features and gizmos. Between Creta and Elantra, I would prefer Elantra, it is simply miles ahead of Creta.

Last edited by GTO : 31st August 2017 at 09:50. Reason: Poorly typed posts.
hok kolorob is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 31st August 2017, 08:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore is a maze. Where you live and where you work will decide how much you hate the city. Personally, i would prefer a small car that is easy to drive and easy to park. For the time i lived there i always left the car at home and used AC Bus or ride shares to commute and Uber to do family work and metro to travel to even the center of the city.

Things you can do in Bangalore including riding a cycle (which also gets stuck in traffic for hours), walking peacefully are not really clean and safe to a large extent.There are so many rental facilities including super bike rentals that you will save a lot of money by simply renting than owning a car in bangalore.

It is a proper metro with proper facility to rent or share rides. I would personally avoid spending on a new car in Bangalore even for the weekend drives. The cost of ownership, depreciating value of the car and the potential to invest and make it an appreciating value specially for a city like Bangalore should be considered.

The GC part is slightly over exaggerated. I drove for a year in my Jetta, which did fantastic work and I drove all the way across HSR to KR Puram to Trinity. If I were forced to move to Bangalore (will never be planned) I will simply take my existing car for emergencies while use as much public and rental transportation as I can to avoid the stress of driving in that city.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st August 2017 at 17:47. Reason: As requested
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 12:24   #15
BHPian

I was in the exact same dilemma since last one month. I took the TD of the elantra thrice! loved the car but eventually went for the creta simply because it you be a daily chauffeur driven car and the low GC of the elantra was difficult for my parent's to sit and get out. Elantra if you don't mind the low GC is a very underrated car and great value for the bucks you're spending.

Most Viewed