Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 8th February 2018, 13:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New Verna SX Petrol vs Creta 1.4D S+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
The moment I think of "What's next to Vento": its going to be a tough call. I'm into same dilemma as you guys are going through Where my max budget is 20L on road, had S-Cross 1.6 Aplha for a while, it is being stopped now. Duster, XUV500, are too old in the tooth. Oh god please help me.
You must consider the Jeep Compass. My eyes are firmly set on the Hydro Blue color.

Last edited by deehunk : 8th February 2018 at 13:41.
Old 8th February 2018, 14:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
You must consider the Jeep Compass. My eyes are firmly set on the Hydro Blue color.
Thankyou for reminding. Forgot to add in my earlier post, however, I considered this for a brief period & had to drop-off due to on road price for Limited(O)4*4 is hitting 27.5L in Bangalore. I'am a sucker for buying Top-end only.
Old 8th February 2018, 23:17   #63
BHPian

Quote:
.... had to drop-off due to on road price for Limited(O)4*4 is hitting 27.5L in Bangalore. I'am a sucker for buying Top-end only.
Any reason why you dropped/ didn't consider Hexa? In comparison to an Innova I feel Hexa is better and in comparison to Jeep, I feel both are equivalent. Yes, Jeep has brand advantage and it's international success, but Hexa is no bad one at it. Please let us know the reasons, as, personally I am getting into the field and I have Hexa XMA in my mind.
Old 9th February 2018, 10:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku View Post
Any reason why you dropped/ didn't consider Hexa? In comparison to an Innova I feel Hexa is better and in comparison to Jeep, I feel both are equivalent. Yes, Jeep has brand advantage and it's international success, but Hexa is no bad one at it. Please let us know the reasons, as, personally I am getting into the field and I have Hexa XMA in my mind.
I usually dont change cars frequently. From investment perspective, it is a depreciation. Looking at a long term association: Japs would fare well: Toyota/Honda/Suzuki. Resale needs a mention here. Case in point - 15 year old Qualis & 10 year Innova's would vanish in thin air in pre-owned segment. Thought Crysta would suit my needs as I clock close to 2.5K kms per month.

Personally think, TATA's & Mahindra's will have too many niggling issues and would need more TLC/attention as it gets old. I'm sure there are many examples of Indica's/Scorpio's/XUV's out there served for lakhs of kms. Count the number of times they would've visited the dealers for rectifying the issues. This is apart from their regular services. Needless to discuss about resale.

This is purely my thoughts. No offence to other brands.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 9th February 2018 at 10:53. Reason: Changes
Ramsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 11:55   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally think, TATA's & Mahindra's will have too many niggling issues and would need more TLC/attention as it gets old. I'm sure there are many examples of Indica's/Scorpio's/XUV's out there served for lakhs of kms.

This is purely my thoughts. No offence to other brands.
From my 3 years experience of travelling in Ola cabs, I have realised that good driving skills are somewhat god gifted, so have been a passenger in some very well maintained Indica, Fiesta and Verito. One Fiesta, in fact, had crossed 2.7L kms.
Old 9th February 2018, 12:16   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From my 3 years experience of travelling in Ola cabs, I have realised that good driving skills are somewhat god gifted, so have been a passenger in some very well maintained Indica, Fiesta and Verito. One Fiesta, in fact, had crossed 2.7L kms.
Agreed! I too have a bad habit of peeping into speedo meters, the moment I get into any cabs or friends cars for that matter
Majority of the cab owners like Indica, due low maintenance and availability of spares. For personal use, people are scared to own Indian "T" badge. Its commendable to see the new TATA lineup with respect to their Exterior/Interiors changes. But a long way to go to meet the Japanese "T".
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 15:13   #67
BHPian

Default Re: Sold Ciaz - now confused between the City, Verna & Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

My final 3 choices now seem to be the Verna SX Petrol, Creta 1.4 D S+ and final now in contention Honda City V MT.
it is so interesting that most of inspirational drivers in Bangalore within this price range are finding a royal dilemma
a) Automatic is the need of the hour in ORR traffic
b) Higher stance is mandatory in Bangalore roads
c) Sedans are value for money, peppy, feature rich
d) Creta fits the luxury bill of a) and b) but extremely costly and not worth
I am driving Verna Diesel from past 4 years and have driven 24000 km in 4 years. What a car it has been and would love to keep it for much more time - it has not depreciated as many others have claimed and diesel is fantastic.
Now, when I look forward for next 4 years - I shudder to think sedan experience on the roads inspite of Honda City being a exact fit for low mileage need of mine and Hyundai Verna D (new model) been a suitable hier to my outgoing Verna.
I am forced to look at Creta whose looks are mesmerising but interiors, lack of MID features and high price is making me go one step ahead and 2 step back.
Rarely I am in such situation while buying a car and I may put my decision ON HOLD.
Old 9th February 2018, 15:22   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
I am forced to look at Creta whose looks are mesmerising but interiors, lack of MID features and high price is making me go one step ahead and 2 step back.
Rarely I am in such situation while buying a car and I may put my decision ON HOLD.
Honestly, any upgrade is just a waste of money. Keep your car for a few more years and wait - the options are only going to get better!
lamborghini is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 18:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

Default Sold Ciaz - now confused between the City, Verna & Creta

Test drove the Verna Diesel AT this evening and found it very good to drive! Although i was not completely comfortable with the AT since I have always driven MTs.
But somehow I could not feel the real power of the diesel since the AT seemed to have a delay in the way it shifted. Sure it was a massive relief in the traffic, but not sure if it is fun to drive.

But what frustrates me more is that Hyundai have priced the Diesels very expensive! The Manual Diesel SX is nearly 2 Lakhs more than the Petrol SX. I have never seen such premium of a diesel over its petrol sibling in any of the A,B,C segment cars! In fact surprised that no reviews or anyone called this out!

So the Diesel SX costs something like 14.4 Lakhs OTR Bangalore while the Diesel EX AT is around 14.8L. Even if I manage to get some 60-70K off on these variants since the dealer has some 2017 December cars, I still think they are a huge premium over the petrol.

For a SX Petrol variant OTR is just 11.3 Lakhs! So that means the difference is about 2-2.5 L for diesel or Diesel AT. With that money I can easily sell my other Car- A Brio and get a small AT and use that and the petrol Verna MT alternatively!

Anyway, is the diesel premium of 2 Lakh justified? My running is very low, so Petrol makes more sense. But am wary of the poor resale values of the petrol Vernas usually. Or do you guys think the market is shifting towards petrols and Hence this disparity in used car sales of diesel is bound to close up to petrol?

Last edited by motorworks : 9th February 2018 at 18:48.
Old 9th February 2018, 19:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

Did you not TD Honda City today? Buying petrol car makes sense for future, but fuel price has increased by Rs.10 in last 7 months.

Last edited by deehunk : 9th February 2018 at 19:27.
Old 9th February 2018, 19:32   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, is the diesel premium of 2 Lakh justified? My running is very low, so Petrol makes more sense. But am wary of the poor resale values of the petrol Vernas usually. Or do you guys think the market is shifting towards petrols and Hence this disparity in used car sales of diesel is bound to close up to petrol?
No. Although I was advocating for the diesel Verna, at this point all the calculations would be skewed towards the petrol given a monthly running of 1000 km. But, it all depends on how long do you want to hold the car? If you plan to sell the car within 5 years, stick to the diesel Verna. If you plan to retain the car for longer (> 7 years), you can safely opt for the petrol Verna.

Also, the market shifting towards the petrols is more in the hatchback/premium hatchback space where the i20 Crdi, Swift D, Polo D, Figo D used to rule the roost. These are smaller engines where the Petrol cars are fairly fuel efficient if not great, it thus makes sense to opt for a petrol car with the lessening price parity. I doubt same is the case in the higher segments/SUV's where diesel engine is still the default choice.

The additional amount spent on the diesel Verna should be compensated by its higher resale. But as said by many before, coming from a diesel car, many don't appreciate the single digit FE returned by a thirsty petrol sedan. It takes a brave heart to get a full tank of petrol every time.

Utilize the excel sheet in this thread-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...alculator.html

Note:
All this doesn't apply to Ciaz P/D, City P/D as they are relatively quick movers in the used market compared to the Petrol Verna. They are at least 30-50% more Fuel Efficient than the petrol Verna. Owners, please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 9th February 2018, 20:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you not TD Honda City today? Buying petrol car makes sense for future, but fuel price has increased by Rs.10 in last 7 months.

City MT and AT drive is scheduled for tomorrow morning and that should give me some answers for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
No. Although I was advocating for the diesel Verna, at this point all the calculations would be skewed towards the petrol given a monthly running of 1000 km. But, it all depends on how long do you want to hold the car? If you plan to sell the car within 5 years, stick to the diesel Verna. If you plan to retain the car for longer (> 7 years), you can safely opt for the petrol Verna.

Also, the market shifting towards the petrols is more in the hatchback/premium hatchback space where the i20 Crdi, Swift D, Polo D, Figo D used to rule the roost. These are smaller engines where the Petrol cars are fairly fuel efficient if not great, it thus makes sense to opt for a petrol car with the lessening price parity. I doubt same is the case in the higher segments/SUV's where diesel engine is still the default choice.

The additional amount spent on the diesel Verna should be compensated by its higher resale. But as said by many before, coming from a diesel car, many don't appreciate the single digit FE returned by a thirsty petrol sedan. It takes a brave heart to get a full tank of petrol every time.

Utilize the excel sheet in this thread-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...alculator.html

Note:

All this doesn't apply to Ciaz P/D, City P/D as they are relatively quick movers in the used market compared to the Petrol Verna. They are at least 30-50% more Fuel Efficient than the petrol Verna. Owners, please correct me if I am wrong.

Sure, I completely agree with you. The only thing that is holding me back is the potential free fall in resale
Value of the petrol Verna. Most reviews say that this petrol engine is efficient and returns 10-12 KMPL in city conditions, but you see I live in Bangalore and here the Traffic conditions are far worse than the rest of India.

The Diesel Manual is a no brainer but the premium of 2.5 L seems way too high. Sure it may fetch better resale but the initial investment is very high, so while I may recover only part of the initial investment thru resale, in the Petrol my initial investment is far lower, so even if the resale was 2-2.5 Lakhs lower than the diesel, it sort of still makes sense.

Now to top it off, the whole manual vs Automatic conundrum! The Verna EX AT is almost 40k more expensive than the Diesel SX Manual which has far more features! The thought is that Traffic seems to get worse everyday and with upcoming metro constructions happening all around it is bound to get worse, so logically it does make sense to look at the AT, but if you look at it financially it is a huge difference between the MT and AT.

So heres what I am thinking, I will TD the city tomorrow and if I like the V AT and if I also get some deals on the same car, I will opt for the City V AT.
If I somehow do not like the City then it is back to the Verna, but the issue is still whether it should be the highly VFM fully loaded Petrol SX at just 11.3 Lakhs or if I need to pay the hefty premium for a diesel manual or AT.

Also, when I was checking with the Hyundai folks on how the sales of Petrol to diesel in the new Verna is, their feedback has been that it is mostly 60:40 favouring diesels, but another dealer told me that they have sold more petrol Vernas than diesels. So it is not very skewed towards diesels, partly because of the closing price of both fuels.
Old 10th February 2018, 11:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the City MT and Verna 1.6 Petrol MT back to back this morning in the same stretch of good and broken roads.

the City feels more like a Maruti or my Brio in its overall build and poise. Ride quality is ok, does not iron out all bumps and bad roads. The engine is raspy and eager. Very roomy inside the cabin.

On the Contrary the Verna felt closer to my Rapid in overall build and quality. Engine less eager, but ride is very mature and surely rides over bad roads better. There is a certain maturity in its ride for sure. The Verna also felt very sporty.

The prices for V MT and SX MT Petrol are exactly the same.

What favours the City is the better re-sale that it can fetch. The Verna Petrol may not get the same kind of buy back and also the efficiency of Verna Petrol might be lower than the City.

But these are the only 2 factors favouring the City, else as a car, Verna seems to have the fundamentals better.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 12:30   #74
BHPian

Quote:
The thought is that Traffic seems to get worse everyday and with upcoming metro constructions happening all around it is bound to get worse, so logically it does make sense to look at the AT, but if you look at it financially it is a huge difference between the MT and AT.
I think this is the most important factor that should guide your purchase decision. If you are intending to hold on to the car long enough, it is a no-brainer to pay the premium and get a petrol automatic. Given the horrible nature of Bangalore traffic, I would never consider driving a manual if I was living there. And things are only getting worse. A slightly lower fuel economy is a happy tradeoff that I would make for the convenience of an AT.

Do stretch for the Verna Petrol EX AT if you can. I have a Verna Petrol SX (O) AT and it is a lovely all-round car
Old 10th February 2018, 17:26   #75
Senior - BHPian

Default Sold Ciaz - now confused between the City, Verna & Creta

Thanks for all your replies and feedback!

I have dropped the Verna SX MT out of the list since I could end up with very low efficiency.

I am now seriously considering the Verna MT SX Diesel. The flip side is that this is at least 2.5 L more expensive than the petrol, but with the kind of fuel efficiency that I would get in this, my yearly savings on fuel even if I drive just 12K would be around 50k. So which means I would easily make up 2L in about 4 years and plus there is the added bonus of better resale in the diesel.

For the same money as the Verna SX Diesel, I can get a Honda City V CVT, but somehow not convinced with the car and it really did not feel like it is the same league as the Verna in terms of build and Ride quality.

If I do go for the Verna diesel instead of the City CVT then I sacrifice the whole convenience factor of an AT; but I get a car that is the quickest diesel under 15L today in India! The in-gear acceleration figures of the Verna diesel are really good!

Most Viewed