Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2018, 12:34   #76
Senior - BHPian

Took a TD of the Verna Diesel. Superb torque! And drive ability is very good, needs less gear shifts and you can easily cruise in higher gears even at 40-50.
And absolutely silent inside the cabin! I did a TD of the Petrol Verna yday and I couldn't tell much of a difference between the 2 on the same stretch of roads! Felt Very well insulated inside the cabin!

Overall an excellent package, my only grouse is that it is a little pricey and also my initial feeling was that the car felt a little slippery, not so sure footed like the Rapid or Verna. I could be wrong, may be I need drive it a bit a more.

But every other aspect is great! Going back to the showroom later this noon with the family to see if I can finalise.
Old 11th February 2018, 14:16   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Overall an excellent package, my only grouse is that it is a little pricey and also my initial feeling was that the car felt a little slippery, not so sure footed like the Rapid or Verna.

Did you mean Vento?

The new Verna dynamics have improved a great deal over the previous generation. It is no corner carver but is a car that offers you the best balance between, good looks, sweet and refined engine(diesel), decent gearbox and a very good cabin to be in.

The only drawback is the rear branch, it is low and the swooping roof eats into the rear headroom. If the rear seat is not that important, this is the car to buy in the segment yes it is pricey but worth it.
Old 11th February 2018, 21:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

Sold Ciaz - now confused between the City, Verna & Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Did you mean Vento?

The new Verna dynamics have improved a great deal over the previous generation. It is no corner carver but is a car that offers you the best balance between, good looks, sweet and refined engine(diesel), decent gearbox and a very good cabin to be in.

The only drawback is the rear branch, it is low and the swooping roof eats into the rear headroom. If the rear seat is not that important, this is the car to buy in the segment yes it is pricey but worth it.

Yes, I meant the Vento! My bad!

Absolutely agree with you on all of the above! The new Verna is quite good!

My whole decision making process keeps getting tougher every day!

Post my TD of the Verna Diesel, I felt good, but not wow! You know what I mean? After 6 years with the Rapid, the Verna's torque or power delivery is good to experience but not something that I went wow instantly!

The Verna has all the goodies, cabin feels very plush and classy. But when I drive I keep comparing the car to my Rapid and I am somehow constantly in the same zone.

Just to make my whole decision making tougher, I did a TD of the 1.4 D S+ Creta and I found it has excellent drive ability in the city. Nothing great in terms of performance, but everything felt sufficient.

The Creta offers a different experience, feels spacious and this variant has most of the essentials. Alloys, Apple car play HU, Airbags and ABS.
One visible omission is Automatic climate control, and some other features like projectors, DRLs etc, which I do not think are that important.

If I switch to the Creta, may be I would make peace with the fact that it is not a car like the Rapid and use it for it is!

With the Verna, I do not know if I want to live with a Car that is so similar to the Rapid in terms of engine, space and everything else for the next 5-6 years.

There is a 90k difference between the SX Verna diesel and the Creta 1.4 D S +. Thinking about it!

Have to take a decision very quickly since I may miss out on 2017 December cars where I may get 70k discounts in both the Verna and the Creta.
Old 11th February 2018, 22:22   #79
BHPian

Re: Sold Ciaz - now confused between the City, Verna & Creta

I am going to suggest something different than Verna and Creta, but something that falls in between. Checkout Renault Captur. The RXL diesel is around the same price as 1.4D S_ Creta, but offers a more powerful engine, with more features. Ride quality of Duster n which it was based on was quite good, and you can expect more of the same from this too. The engine is very responsive and is tried and tested in multiple models.

If upgrade is what you wish for, remember that the 1.4 in Creta is same as the i20, a car starting at 6.5 lakhs. The exteriors and designs, is what you will get used to in sometime, the engine is what you will continue to miss, and this could lead to an early upgrade from the Creta. If you don't care about the engine, the S-Cross top end is a way better purchase than the (IMO) overpriced Creta 1.4 S+. Infact base variant of XUV500 is also similarly priced ready to be worked on as a project too with 50 more horse power!
Old 11th February 2018, 23:59   #80
BHPian

Your case is shouting the need of pre-owned D segment car. I started my car hunt with Creta couple of years back, considered everything in C segment and ended up buying a pre-owned Jetta. The decision puts a smile on my face everyday.

PS: If I were to go for a new car, it had to be Vento/Rapid. They were the best in C segment then for an enthusiast. I guess nothing has changed much since then. (Though new Verna has better dynamics, it will NOT feel like an upgrade).
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 07:09   #81
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I meant the Vento! My bad!

If I switch to the Creta, may be I would make peace with the fact that it is not a car like the Rapid and use it for it is!
I would suggest you to look at Vento 1.2TSi Comfortline. Its available for around 13.10 Lakhs on-road Bangalore. With discounts, it will be much lesser! It offers convenience of Auto transmission, is fun to drive and is also VFM.

Creta is overpriced for what it offers IMHO.
Old 12th February 2018, 13:07   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please re-evaluate your priorities and usage pattern to avoid ending up with a wrong car. Test drive multiple SUV's and sedans (even if you have not short listed them) to know what pulls your strings.

Everyone has an opinion, and it is difficult to suggest unless you are clear on whether you want an SUV/Compact-SUV/Crossover/Sedan. With the budget that you have there could be some unwanted cross-shopping across segments.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 15:32   #83
BHPian

Time for an upgrade - Help required

Hi all,
Would love to hear feedback with the below situation:-
I am planning to purchase a new car within 14 Lakh Rupees(Ex-Showroom Price Bangalore). This will become our primary car and will share the basement with the Polo TDi that I currently drive.
We will be using this mostly on the highway, hence a more than decent performance, safety and space/comfort and safety are the primary factors in play when choosing. A few features less won't be harmful.

The cars that I have shortlisted are below, including what I perceive(d) to be positives and negatives. These are my perceptions, and might be wrong as well. However, would like your inputs to help me arrive at a choice.
Forgot to mention that I am looking at Diesel only.

Honda City ZX Diesel:-
Liked the big car feel, the looks. More importantly, was floored with the comfort and space. However, the biggest flaw was the engine. I didn't like it one bit. The lower RPMs had good grunt, but didn't feel special once it picked up speed. Plus the noise. Purely based on the engine, I felt I was driving a car from a few segments lower. Also, the price after the recent hike touched 14,06,000(Ex-Bnglr).

Hyundai Verna SX(O) Diesel:-
Couldn't take a test drive. But felt dark and tight while seated inside. From the outside it looks big and very stylish. But space/comfort was a big negative. Dropped it

Hyundai Creta SX+ Diesel:-
Space good. Comfortable. Seated higher than sedans. Engine felt responsive. Very quiet. Missing some very important but basic features. The SX(O) is way too expensive. However, Hyundai is gearing up for a face-lift sometime later this year. I am not in a position to wait till that time. Not sure whether the current Creta will become an older version in just a few months time.

Vento/Rapid Diesel AT:-
Looking at the top end versions of both only. I love the build and performance of these cars. My existing car being a VW helps too. Apart from that huge hump in the rear, the space is also passable for me. Features of the current versions are good too(top end). However, they have become very long in the tooth. I am not sure when new versions of these will be released.

My heart goes with the Vento/Rapid Diesel AT, which are lovely to drive. Plus the DSG gives the additional ease to drive.
But, the Creta SX+ ticks all the right boxes. There are some glaring feature misses in the SX+ (simple things at this price like auto dimming IRVM), fuel gauge indicators.

Please help me arrive at a choice.
Old 12th February 2018, 16:00   #84
BHPian

Re: Time for an upgrade - Help required

Hello Sir,

I suggest you look at the used car market where the number of cars within the 15 lakh range is abundant.

You can get yourself a used Volkswagen Jetta or even a 2013 Octavia.

If a new car is the main priority, you can have a look at the new Ecosport 1.5 TDCI or the newly launched Renault Captur ( not very highly recommended though).

Within the cars you have shortlisted, I would recommend the Hyundai Verna for that explosive 1.6 diesel mill alone.

Regards
Prathik

Last edited by Prathiiik : 12th February 2018 at 16:21.
Old 12th February 2018, 16:22   #85
BHPian

Hi aneezan,
The Vento/Rapid desperately need a upgrade.
The dsg issues post warranty are a worry.

The Verna is a good car. Maybe a second test ride can change your opinion.

As you are impressed with the Creta,I would ask you to consider Xuv 500.
As your requirement is a highway car and not a urban suv, xuv500 makes a better buy. The w6 is a good bet. With a lakh more w6 At is yours.

On the whole a SUV will give a different car feel as you were driving a hatch until now.please change your highway driving style accordingly.
Old 12th February 2018, 17:08   #86
Team-BHP Support

I don't see many options which would be exciting and safe as a highway car.

Maruti Suzuki's S-Cross would have been one had the 1.6 stayed in production. Products by both VW & Skoda are too long in tooth now, if you like them, you may go for them.

I will recommend Honda and if your running isn't much, a City in petrol. Else, you can't really go wrong with either the Creta or the Verna, I just hope you don't have dealers as well as manufacturers like this - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...wn-tucson.html

Pre-owned route? There would be a lot of options but because your post doesn't hint towards going that way, I refrained myself from suggesting the same
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 18:50   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Hi all,
Would love to hear feedback with the below situation:-
I am planning to purchase a new car within 14 Lakh Rupees(Ex-Showroom Price Bangalore). This will become our primary car and will share the basement with the Polo TDi that I currently drive.
I feel you should also look at Tata Hexa XM and XMA. Hexa is an excellent highway car, with the big car feeling that you loved in City, the higher seating you liked in Creta, and the Downtown edition doesn't miss out on many features either. Since this is mostly a highway car, the size should not be a deterrent wither.

The price falls in your budget with some wiggle room in case of MT. There might be some decent offers going around too.
Old 15th February 2018, 19:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

Sold Ciaz - now confused between the City, Verna & Creta

Decision made!

For those of you who came in late, just a quick recap- Sold my 6 year old Rapid TDI and was in pursuit of my next drive! Took lot of feedback and suggestions and from fellow BHPians over the last 2 weeks and it surely helped!

My initial shortlist was the Verna Petrol SX, but the feedback that Verna petrols generally have a bad resale made me think. And plus I love the torque in diesels!

Anyway I test drove everything in the range of 11-15 Lakhs, starting with all the variants in the new Verna Petrol, Diesel, Automatics, then the City MT and CVT. And also the ecosport, Nexon, S-cross and even the Vento Tsi.

But what finally made it was the last car I did a TD. It is the Creta 1.6 D SX, which eventually was the most expensive, but satisfied all criteria.

It is a Diesel, a powerful one at that. Secondly it is an SUV, meaning its a different car compared to the sedans I have owned in the last 10 years ( Read Dzire diesel and later a Rapid diesel ) and plus it had most of what I was looking for.

Delivery might be next weekend or later.
Will surely update once I lay my hands!
motorworks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 15:54   #89
BHPian

Hey Team,
I am in a similar dilemma.
We currently own a 2009 Honda City i-VTEC S MT. We are looking for a new car as our car has become pretty old now. So finances work out like this – we’ll go for a loan amount of Rs. 10 lakhs and Rs. 2 lakhs is what we are getting from our old Honda City. We can only manage maximum Rs. 2 lakhs more, that will go towards the down payment, making it a total budget of Rs. 14 lakhs on-road. We are not willing to go for Pre Owned route.

We have shortlisted two cars, i.e. Honda City i-VTEC VX Manual and Hyundai Creta (model not decided yet). Honda City is working out to be Rs. 13.3 lakhs on-road. Talking about Creta, well it is pretty much messed up. We are considering 3 models at the same time, i.e. Creta 1.4 S CRDI (Rs. 13.85 lakhs), Creta 1.6 SX VTVT (Rs. 13.83 lakhs) and Creta 1.6 SX CRDI (Rs. 15.65 lakhs, which is way out of budget).

Going by the Test Drive Experiences, the City is quite a good car and the petrol Creta is only good for sedate drivers (which I am not). While the 1.4-litre diesel version is not very good, the 1.6-litre diesel one is very good (This is completely my Point of view, no offence to anyone). If we go towards Creta 1.6 CRDI SX at Rs. 15.65 lakhs, then we can also consider Mahindra XUV500 W7 at Rs. 15.75 lakhs (by the way, we are a family of 5 plus 1 kid which means the XUV500 is definitely usable). Also as I mentioned that we owned City i-VTEC for 8 years already, my dad is not quite convinced to buy the City again. Hyundai Creta has expensive maintenance too, from what I have heard.

So after quite an exhaustive explanation, the question remains, which car to choose? Please give answer in a list format, eg:
1st Priority) Honda City VX i-VTEC
2nd Priority) Hyundai Creta SX Petrol

Regards,
Manan_02
Old 11th June 2018, 18:37   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manan_02 View Post
Hey Team,
We have shortlisted two cars, i.e. Honda City i-VTEC VX Manual and Hyundai Creta (model not decided yet). Honda City is working out to be Rs. 13.3 lakhs on-road. Talking about Creta, well it is pretty much messed up. We are considering 3 models at the same time, i.e. Creta 1.4 S CRDI (Rs. 13.85 lakhs), Creta 1.6 SX VTVT (Rs. 13.83 lakhs) and Creta 1.6 SX CRDI (Rs. 15.65 lakhs, which is way out of budget).
So is your budget 14L tops or a number higher? If you are debating between XUV and Creta 1.6L D then we are not talking 14L, eh? Honestly speaking, I have never driven a Creta but have driven the older generation XUV. Going by the smoothness of Hyundai oil burners which is well known, I will not bother looking for XUV. It feels crude, tbh. The fact that you are used to a petrol motor as of now, the XUV will be a sea change.

So you need to first baseline your budget - for buying and for maintaining the vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks