Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Tata Nexon 267 53.83%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 28 5.65%
Ford EcoSport 163 32.86%
Honda WR-V 18 3.63%
Hyundai i20 Active 2 0.40%
Mahindra TUV300 7 1.41%
Other 11 2.22%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2019, 14:07   #106
BHPian

Re: Nexon or EcoSport

Check the Scross out. Also, why don't you think of selling the Brio and using that money to bump to a Creta?
Old 4th March 2019, 14:23   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Check the Scross out. Also, why don't you think of selling the Brio and using that money to bump to a Creta?
We have 2 options,
1. buy a bigger car and continue to pay Home Loan on schedule.
2. Buy smaller car and foreclose the Home loan.

We have decided on the second one. The EMI difference between Nexon XZ+ and Creta 1.6SX petrol is about 6K/ month when the Brio is sold to buy the Creta.
If we sell the Brio to buy Nexon the EMI difference is almost 8K/month which works out to 96K a year or 4.8L( additional the regular outflow that we had planned) over 5 years that we can knock of the home loan.
Also the fuel cost of Creta petrol will be higher than Nexon Diesel.
If we go for lower variants of Creta we lose some important kit.
That's the reason we are reluctant to spend more than 12-13L on road.

Last edited by aniyo : 4th March 2019 at 14:27. Reason: additional details
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 14:48   #108
Senior - BHPian

Here is my suggestion:

1. Go for the Ecosport Diesel Titanium. It falls exactly in your price band of 12- 13 lakhs on road in Bangalore. The seating position and support is among the best that I have come across in this segment and also among the other sedans which are available in this price bracket. The suspension is a tad stiffer but certainly not unlivebale, but miles better than what I get on my regular drive, the Swift. Driving pleasure wise, the Ecosport's gearing and torque delivery make it a more pleasurable drive than the Nexon, especially if your driving is concentrated in the city. That is not to say the Nexon is a bad choice, but the overall feel of the vehicle is better when it comes to the Ecosport.

2. Keep the Brio for short city commutes, especially since selling it will not fetch you a great price. We own a Brio and it has been nothing but a pleasure to drive in short city commutes and the regular grocery runs. The Brio is a fantastic car overall for city drives and other than the relatively weak AC in summer, I do not have too many complaints about it. If you do go for a bigger car, e.g. Ecosport and Nexon, you will definitely feel the need for a small runabout every now and then. Hence, it makes sense to retain the Brio.

You can give the S Cross a miss, especially with the current engine which feels fairly anaemic given the weight of the car. It will also not provide you with the thrills which you would otherwise get in the Ecosport, and even in the Nexon.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 4th March 2019 at 14:52.
arindambasu13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 16:36   #109
BHPian

These are my thoughts about your Requirement:

1. Comfortable 4 seater, we rarely carry 5.
When it comes to usable space and utility it has to be Brezza

2. Brio ride quality is stiff and has started to get on to me now. The handling is amazing though.
If you cannot bear the stiffness of Brio, expect the same with Ecosport. The best choices here are Duster, Creta and Nexon.

3. City/highway: 75/25 It doesn't matter because you running seems low. Petrol makes all sense. Ecosport 1.5 Dragon or Creta 1.6 Petrol

4. Prefer diesel for the sheer power and torque. The small turbo don't work much in heavier cars.
You love the Torque then you'll like Nexon or XUV-300. My brother's Nexon diesel passes 3rd gear speed breaker test while my Brezza fails even the 2nd gear test.

6. Good seating. My back has started to hurt.
Seating is subjective, one has to try to see what suits. Actually this should be the most important criteria. No matter how good a car is, if it doesn't suit your seating posture, that's gonna hurt. Higher variants might help you as they feature adjustable seat height and steering (tilt and telescopic).

1. Safety: atleast 2 airbags and sturdy build quality (Brezza is not considered for this)
Nexon wins hands down for the 5 star rating. Ecosport is next. I still would not rule out Brezza although it feels filmsy but the thing has scored 4 stars.

2. Good NVH Say No to Ecosport and WRV diesel. The best guy in town is again Nexon.

3. Ride quality: Decent to good ride quality in city. Brio is good on highway but the city potholes are felt entirely inside
in the following order, Duster, Creta, Nexon

5. Boot space:As of now we are only 2 and planning for a child next year. So boot space is important. Brio is pathetic at this. All CSUV are equivalent, for a bigger bootspace I would go a segment above.

If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't mind spending a lakh more and climb a segment above i.e. Creta, Duster and Harrier.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 4th March 2019 at 16:38.
Thermodynamics is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 17:12   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't mind spending a lakh more and climb a segment above i.e. Creta, Duster and Harrier.
The Problem with Duster is too long in the tooth now and the interiors are not great. Also I am not sure if they are providing regular size airbag on the Indian version. Apart from ride quality and AWD there is nothing much that Duster has to offer.
5 years down the line, Nexon and Ecosport will have takers, not sure about Duster. Also the spares are not reliable and are expensive as I have read on this forum

Creta actually fits the bill the only issue being the pricing. If i have to take a reasonably loaded Creta, petrol will cost 15ish on road and Diesel 17ish on road. That's too much of an ask. By paying 4-5 Lakhs over the Nexon i don't get that much more. The space is almost the same and the boot sapce is about 50 litres or so extra. I would rather buy Harrier.

Harrier I can afford but I am thinking the EMI payout and is it actually needed for me now. Also the delivery time will be 3-4 months.

I felt Nexon and Ecosport fit for now and 3-4 years. But I will rethink Creta if wife allows to stretch that much. I know the answer already, let's see if I can convince her

Last edited by Aditya : 4th March 2019 at 17:54. Reason: Trimming quoted text
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 17:22   #111
BHPian

You may wait for Styx also. It is rumored to be launch in May 2019 and i guess it will tick all the check boxes mentioned by you.
Old 4th March 2019, 18:03   #112
Senior - BHPian

I currently have an Ecosport AT petrol and an Nissan Terrano diesel. My Brother in law has a diesel Nexon XZA+. Nexon and Ecosport are both good. the Terrano not as much.
Nexon has a really well matched automatic, and one really doesn't feel that it is an AMT and not a dual clutch.
You can choose either of the two, both are good, Nexon is a bit more spacious though.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 18:13   #113
BHPian

Consider my opinion a biased one, as being the owner of an Ecosport (2015Dec, MT, P, Titanium) I am inclined to recommend Ecosport to you.

Have not owned a Nexon, but have TD'd it. With my limited exposure to Nexon and 3+ years ownership of Ecosport, both are feature-rich & have lots of character. However, as told before, having owned Ecosport and thoroughly enjoyed short as well as many long journeys - Ecosport is a fabulous car. Have not visited the garage (touchwood!) except for the yearly services, mileage/driveability is quite good, seating is good enough for 5 adults (though not hefty ones!), boot-space is decent for weekend family outings and the car is rock-stable on those highway rides.

You will not err on either choices for sure, both are very capable cars. My choice if I've to do the purchase today -- will be Ecosport again !

Last edited by KrisTvpm : 4th March 2019 at 18:14. Reason: minor corrections
Old 4th March 2019, 18:34   #114
Senior - BHPian

I was in a very similar situation to you in choosing between the Ecosport & Nexon diesels. You can't go wrong with both, but I personally felt the overall refinement and 'feel' was a tad better in the Ecosport than on the Nexon. It just felt a little more premium. It helped that I was ok to spend upto 14L, so got the S

Since you say your budget is upto 13L, the Titanium + spec should be within reach which gives you the additional 6 airbags, leather seats, best in class Sync system, etc.
Please note the Ecosport has not been tested yet by GNCAP, so from the structural safety point of view I'd say both are on par, considering other ratings for India made Ecosport's by ANCAP, NHTSA, etc.

On your other requirements, I think the Nexon only rides marginally better than the Ecosport. I found them both on the stiffer side and definitely not in Duster territory.

Overall NVH, I felt the Ecosport was way better, but it could be the abused TD car.

In short, I'll repeat, both these cars suit your requirements and it all boils down to your individual preferences, for which you need to take some nice long TD's and spend some time in both cabins to see which one appeals more !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 4th March 2019 at 18:36.
Old 4th March 2019, 19:06   #115
BHPian

Since you are in bangalore I would strongly suggest to go for Automatic Variant.
Ecosport petrol automatic is highly recommended. If its diesal then nexon AMT can be considered though I am not a big fan of AMT.

I was also in similar dilemma but my primarily requirement was Automatic which would not feel sluggish. I went ahead with Creta diesal automatic and if budjet is not a constraint, this is one you can really pick. The engine gearbox combination is perfect for city as well highway.

Last edited by born_free : 4th March 2019 at 19:08.
Old 4th March 2019, 21:01   #116
BHPian

If you are considering manual, which I think you are given that Ecosport Diesel does not come in AT, I would also add XUV300 and S-Cross to the list. XUV300 is latest kid in the block and has received rave reviews from across the board. With S-Cross, while the initial power figures might not sound very good, its an extremely comfortable car, feels a segment above all the CSUV and amongst the most well rounded car for family. The reliability experience you have had from Honda would continue over here.

Between the 2, I would get Nexon XZA+, for the sheer reason that 75% of the 1200 kms monthly, i.e. 30kms daily is in Blore traffic. Thats 100 shifts or more in a day. Let someone else do that for you. Brezza also falls in this category, but the Nexon does have mechanical superiority over it.

PS: With the narrowing down of the gap between diesel and petrol prices to less than 10%, 1200km is in the grey area and you can give Creta Petrol a look if that is something that tugs your heartstrings.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 23:04   #117
BHPian

Ecosport is good. I've never driven the Nexon though. And I heard XUV3OO is very competent.

Any particular reason you're looking at compact SUVs? Why not sedans? You might get Ciaz, Vento, and perhaps even the Verna and City in your budget.

(Unsure about the latest prices; a relative picked up a City VX diesel last December for ₹15 lakhs OTR from Cochin; other cars from the segment ― particularly the petrol variants ― should be cheaper.)

Or, if you're willing to go that route, why not a slightly used Creta?
Old 5th March 2019, 00:57   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
I will be buying a car in the next month or month and a half max.
Question 1 - Do you actually need the Brio as a second car. If the answer is no, then definitely sell it. If you can manage it, sell it in TN itself, but don't keep it unless you need a second car.

Question 2 - Do you know anybody in any Tata dealerships. As much as their service quality has improved, it is still supposed to be bad. I have a Ford Fiesta, so can attest that Ford service centres have improved in terms of both quality and cost.

Question 3 - Seating is not something that can be determined by somebody else. What is a brilliant seat for one person can be extremely uncomfortable for another. So ensure you go test the seats out in person, and sit in them for a while to determine comfort.

Question 4 - Is the pseudo-SUV a necessity. If not, you are restricting your options, as there are various sedan/hatchbacks in your budget that fulfil the criteria of space and auto-transmission.

Last edited by ampere : 5th March 2019 at 08:52. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 5th March 2019, 02:57   #119
Senior - BHPian

At the 5 year mark check the suspension, brake / clutch / gear lubes in your Brio. I guess if some work is done on that, you might find it OK. Yes the Brio has a softer suspension but its agility means you can generally approach potholes etc at a slight angle if possible.
Old 5th March 2019, 10:00   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post

Any particular reason you're looking at compact SUVs? Why not sedans? You might get Ciaz, Vento, and perhaps even the Verna and City in your budget.

Or, if you're willing to go that route, why not a slightly used Creta?
The main issues with Brio are
1. GC, although I have not scrapped much but i have had heart in the mouth moments esp on Karnataka roads
2. Getting in and out is becoming difficult for my parents and in-laws, parents are older than 60 and MIL has knee problem. We feel a higher seating posture will help
3. Sedans are difficult to navigate and occupy a lot more space. For eg. City is about 4.4M long and creta is 4.27.
4. Once we have a kid, we felt that the square shaped boot of many CSUV or crossover will carry pram and other luggage easier than a sedan boot. I may be wrong here, just an assumption.
5. In general the build quality of all sedans has gone down be it Ciaz or City. Verna again suffers from poor rear seat.

Hence we were looking at CSUV or SUV/Cross-over

Pre-worshiped is actually a good option did not think about it yet. Will explore if I get a good deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
At the 5 year mark check the suspension, brake / clutch / gear lubes in your Brio. I guess if some work is done on that, you might find it OK. Yes the Brio has a softer suspension but its agility means you can generally approach potholes etc at a slight angle if possible.
Had checked it in the last service, Brake pads are still stock and going good. I generally do not brake hard, prefer to slow down well in advance. Suspension also is not a bother as of now. Actually Brio has a firm suspension.
These are the points that ensures owing a Honda is rewarding, hardly any unexpected expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Question 1 - Do you actually need the Brio as a second car. If the answer is no, then definitely sell it. If you can manage it, sell it in TN itself, but don't keep it unless you need a second car.

Question 4 - Is the pseudo-SUV a necessity. If not, you are restricting your options, as there are various sedan/hatchbacks in your budget that fulfil the criteria of space and auto-transmission.
If we go for a bigger car like a Creta or Harrier (both out of contention as of now) we will need a smaller car. If we go for Nexon or Ecosport then the Brio will be sold. The thing with Brio is that it is a good car and I will feel bad to let go at such a low price. I dont think I will get anything more than 1.8-2 Lakhs for Brio if I sell it now.

The reason to go for CSUV or crossover are
Better GC, easier for parents and In-laws to get in and out, better shaped boot that can accommodate luggage and not as long as sedans.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th March 2019 at 10:22. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks