Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Tata Nexon 264 53.66%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 27 5.49%
Ford EcoSport 163 33.13%
Honda WR-V 18 3.66%
Hyundai i20 Active 2 0.41%
Mahindra TUV300 7 1.42%
Other 11 2.24%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5th March 2019, 10:17   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Nexon or EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
The main issues with Brio are
1. GC, although I have not scrapped much but i have had heart in the mouth moments esp on Karnataka roads
2. Getting in and out is becoming difficult for my parents and in-laws, parents are older than 60 and MIL has knee problem.
Since you have mentioned about back pain and good seating position in your original post, the sedans in that price range (typically, City, Verna, Ciaz) are definitely not good fits, and your best choices would indeed be the compact SUVs. I say this from first hand experience, where I have specifically concentrated on this aspect, across multiple test drives, to see which kind of seating aggravates back pain and which kind is more suitable. This is precisely why I mentioned that the Ecosport has one of the best drivers seat in the business for comforts and fatigue free drives.

Ground clearance is also a factor, but to be honest, I have scraped the Brio only a couple of times in close to seven years, that too with four heavy adults on board and over steep speed breakers. However, a better ground clearance definitely provides better peace of mind, especially on flooded roads during the 6 months of rain that Bangalore receives every year.

Also, equally importantly, ingress and egress will be a challenge for elderly persons when is comes to low slung sedans.Much easier and more comfortable in an SUV.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 5th March 2019 at 10:19.
Old 5th March 2019, 19:19   #122
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nexon vs the others

Finally Test drove the Nexon.
1. The clutch is fairly light. Almost like my Brio
2. The Ingress and Egress is not as easy as I thought. The rear seemed better than the front.
3. The engine is quite responsive and could get away in 2nd and 3rd gear where I would have to down shift in Brio
4. The footwell is cramped and is going to be a major issue with me. I wear 10.5 shoes and my shoes continuously fouled with with some protrusion near the clutch. This made me sit in an awkward position. I will have to check this again.
5. The seats are good, I expected it to be more supportive but not what I would call a bad or under cushioned.
6. Could not gauge the AC much as they had got the car at evening 6.
7. Had driven the car in dense ecospace traffic and I was surprised coming from Brio, I could easily drive the car. the low down torque and high seating helped in this regard.
8. The outside noise is well controlled esp comparing with Brio. However I could hear the engine all the time. The refinement is not what I expected. This is despite music playing on radio and honking noise I could still hear the engine esp when accelerating from lower RPM
9. Camera seems OK could not test it much.
10. The ride quality is definitively better than Brio both at low speed and when speed picks up. The same bad road I do in Brio the whole car shakes and every jerk is felt inside. In Nexon it was more subdued not plush like the duster I had TD'ed sometime back but I can live with this. Not sure what tyre pressure was maintained as well.
11. Point to note is the car had done 12K KM, I am guessing that may have an effect on the engine noise. Not sure, owners can confirm on this.
12. The arm rest for my driving position was useful. Would have been better if it slided but even at the current position it can be used.
13. I was checking the Ecosport brochure, Titanium+ for about 1.6L more provides, 4 additional airbags, Auto head lamps, EBA, ECS, HLA, Leather seats, auto dimming IRVM, better rear camera, one touch operation for windows, cruise control. That is a lot of kit for 1.6L additional. If the ride quality and seats suit me, I will be really tempted to pay additional and go for these features.

Will be test driving the ecopsort this weekend to compare. All in all we have decided to close on Nexon or ecosport. Have not thought about Mahindra XUV300. Any idea how it is.

We will not be going for bigger car like Harrier or Creta, wife is clear if it is a big car rather go for a 7 seater which I am not ok with. There is no use case for us.
Don't know about Ecosport but I was bit disappointed with Nexon regarding the Ingress/egress and my foot fouling with the protrusion near the clutch.

Also to give a perspective, me and FIL at 5'10 are the tallest in our family so space wise the CSUV fits quite well.
The rear seat is spacious can fit 3 people with atleast one not healthy. Also the boot shape and size is adequate, strictly adequate.

Last edited by aniyo : 5th March 2019 at 19:45. Reason: adding additional points
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 11:12   #123
BHPian

Update:

Have booked for a test drive for Ecosport not yet heard from there. Will follow-up again.

Had a detailed discussion with wife. Revisited all the options again and here is the outcome.

Hexa: Liked the car and the ride quality is Fab. Seating posture was decent did not find any faults. Tried the auto variant.
7 seats not needed now and the car too bulky to drive in city. So all 7 seater have been voted out

Harrier: Wife could not see the point of such a large 5 seater. Could not covience her with all the Big engine, big size and the underlying platform gyan. She is adamant if we have to spend that kind of money why not Hexa. As of now have failed her to convince for Harrier.

Creta: She like the drive and interiors and was quite impressed. Initially she had not sat in the Creta. After the TD she did like the car quite a lot. She asked how much it is and I told the loaded variant is about 17 on road. She was like Harrier kyon nahi fir, hardly any difference in EMI. Price wise rejected. Checked the lower variant, but we don't get the S variant in 1.6D.
Anyone who has 1.4D please help how does the engine feel.

Nexon: She liked the space on offer and features as well. Ride quality was given a thumbs Up. Shortlisted.

Ecosport: Yet to have a test drive. Hope to close this by weekend.

Wife raised few points that I had not considered.
1. Both of us want to move back to Hyderabad from Bangalore in the next 4-5 years max. She asked will we get a refund for the road tax we pay here. I smiled and said sarkari kuwan hai (bureaucratic well, very difficult).
2. Y-o-Y insurance premium will be high so will the regular maintenance.
3. Diesel ban and will we get the same resale for diesel we are expecting 5 years down the line.

After considering all the points we have finalized the following: Diesel is fuel of choice. I have a colleague who has Zest turbo petrol, he gets 9-10 max in city. Pretty sure diesel will be atleast 50% more. More so for Creta
1. Nexon XZ+
2. Ecosport titanium+
3. Used Creta. New has been ruled out.
4. Checked the XUV300, boot space is a deal breaker. Though seems a decent car overall. Did not test drive.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 18:38   #124
BHPian

Update:

Test drove the Ecosport titanium+ variant today. This has left me even more confused. The Ecosport is a nice car, liked it a lot. My observation vis-a-vis Nexon
1. The top end is loaded. It is about 2L expensive than Nexon XZ+ but we get serious kit for that money, additional 4 airbags, Hill assisit, EBA,TCS,ESC, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers, leather seats.

2. Seats are definitely better than the Nexon. Not sure of the fabric but the leather seats were comfortable. Better under tight support but the width felt slightly restricted compared to Nexon. Nexon seats are also good btw.

3. Ford has amazing pick-up even in 2nd and 3rd gear a shade lower than Nexon sports mode much better than Nexon city mode.

4.Ride quality was surprisingly not as bad as I thought. Maybe I was expecting a stiffer ride. Even titanium+ now comes in 16" wheel. Nexon is still better than Ecosport as far as ride quality is concerned. The first time I drove it felt good, second test drive of Nexon was rather wobbly not sure if they messed up with tyre pressure.

5. NVH both are comparable. Though the engine noise from Ford was equal, I must say that Nexon had done 12K on the ODO and Ecosport had done 5K.

6. Ecosport we sit higher up than Nexon, but Nexon has a wide windshield.

7. Rear seat space is definitely more in Nexon than Ecosport.

One funny thing I noted, when set up for my driving position in Nexon, the steering blocked view to the center console. No such issue in Ecosport

Now am more confused what to buy. Atleast am convinced on few things.
Of ecosport then it has to be Titanium+
If Nexon it is XZ+
Ecosort titanium does not make sense.
Creta is almost knocked out, unless wife has a change of mind.

Any suggestions.
Regards,
Aditya Niyogi

Last edited by aniyo : 9th March 2019 at 19:04.
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 13:51   #125
BHPian

Almost decided.

Hi All, Need your help.

We have almost decided on Nexon XZ+. We should book one by end of Month
Creta has been ruled out. Duster AWD was briefly considered but better sense prevailed.

The confusion
1. I liked the Ecosport titanium+ mainly for safety. 4 additional airbags and the other safety features. Rain sensing wipers, Auto headlamps, Cruise control are not significant for us. Leather seats are good but we can live with out them.

2. The only thing stopping me from going to Ecosport and in favour of Nexon in space at rear.
We will be going for a child this year. With the child seats in rear it will be difficult for in-laws or parents to sit in the back seat.
We felt Nexon can manage this better as it is wider than Ecosport also the ride quality is better that helps in comfort and is cheaper by 2L

Can ecosport owners help me if they had issues with child seat in rear and 2 adults. Or nexon owner can share their experience.

For reference, My parents visit twice a year and In-laws 3 times. We feel this frequency will go up once we have a child.

If Ecosport will be tight then Nexon will be booked by month end.

Regards,
Aditya
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 16:08   #126
BHPian

For your requirements, the Nexon will be a better bet.

Those extras are definitely worth the price in EcoSport but since you are considering only the safety features you can pass them on over the 5 star rating of Nexon.

You get more space, better performance (in the sports mode), safety is comparable and you get to save 2L too, which if you save right now will be helpful once the little BHPian is born

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 20:30   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
For your requirements, the Nexon will be a better bet.

Cheers!
Yes that's what even we were thinking. Should close something by March end.
Old 11th March 2019, 11:33   #128
BHPian

I voted for the ecosport. Reasons being:
+ Best-in-class diesel. That 1.5 TDCi is great!
+ Peppy, smooth 1.5 Dragon mated to a 6-speed torque converter (a crucial advantage in this world of AMTs)
+ Loaded with equipment

But these are some factors I do NOT like:

- Deleting equipment. Why Ford? This is the single biggest deal breaker for me.
- Poor rear space

Can the XUV300 be added to the poll?
Old 11th March 2019, 11:52   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Almost decided.

Hi All, Need your help.

We have almost decided on Nexon XZ+. We should book one by end of Month
Creta has been ruled out. Duster AWD was briefly considered but better sense prevailed.

The confusion
1. I liked the Ecosport titanium+ mainly for safety. 4 additional airbags and the other safety features. Rain sensing wipers, Auto headlamps, Cruise control are not significant for us. Leather seats are good but we can live with out them.

2. The only thing stopping me from going to Ecosport and in favour of Nexon in space at rear.
We will be going for a child this year. With the child seats in rear it will be difficult for in-laws or parents to sit in the back seat.
We felt Nexon can manage this better as it is wider than Ecosport also the ride quality is better that helps in comfort and is cheaper by 2L

Can ecosport owners help me if they had issues with child seat in rear and 2 adults. Or nexon owner can share their experience.

For reference, My parents visit twice a year and In-laws 3 times. We feel this frequency will go up once we have a child.

If Ecosport will be tight then Nexon will be booked by month end.

Regards,
Aditya
Why not consider the Elite i20? The Asta (O) variant comes with 6 airbags and can seat people more comfortably than in the Ecosport. Best of both worlds- safety and space
Should be considerably cheaper too.
balderash_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 13:16   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
Why not consider the Elite i20? The Asta (O) variant comes with 6 airbags and can seat people more comfortably than in the Ecosport. Best of both worlds- safety and space
Should be considerably cheaper too.
Price wise comparable to NexonXZ+. Boot capacity is only 280L. That is one of the main reason I am not considering the XUV300 and the fact don't want to buy car first off the lot.

Also Ground clearance is 170mm merely 5mm more than Brio. Chances are that the Brio with stiff suspension and short wheelbase will clear where elite i20 may struggle.
Old 11th March 2019, 17:19   #131
BHPian

Finalized.

After a lengthy discussion and another round of TD, we have finalized on Tata Nexon XZ+

Any suggestions which are the better dealers for TATA motors in Bangalore. Currently we are in talking to KHT domlur.

Also what delivery time we can expect. We want to take car on 27th April our anniversary. I hope to get some discounts, any pointers on that

Regards,
Aditya Niyogi
Old 11th March 2019, 19:27   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Finalized.

After a lengthy discussion and another round of TD, we have finalized on Tata Nexon XZ+

Any suggestions which are the better dealers for TATA motors in Bangalore. Currently we are in talking to KHT domlur.

Also what delivery time we can expect. We want to take car on 27th April our anniversary. I hope to get some discounts, any pointers on that

Regards,
Aditya Niyogi
One point about KHT. I was thinking to buy a Tiago from there but since Tata service reviews are not so great, I asked them the same question. In reply I got an answer that they will give me a contact from service side who can help. This answer has both positive and negative sides. What if that pointed person is really good but leaves Tata job tomorrow. We cannot service our cars based on references. Also the enthusiasm shown by them is not great. You only need to follow up. Hyundai and Maruti people will not let you sleep until you clearly tell them that you are not interested in their cars.

Last edited by rajivtelang : 11th March 2019 at 19:28.
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 19:33   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
One point about KHT. I was thinking to buy a Tiago from there but since Tata service reviews are not so great, I asked them the same question. In reply I got an answer that they will give me a contact from service side who can help. This answer has both positive and negative sides. What if that pointed person is really good but leaves Tata job tomorrow. We cannot service our cars based on references. Also the enthusiasm shown by them is not great. You only need to follow up. Hyundai and Maruti people will not let you sleep until you clearly tell them that you are not interested in their cars.
So did you buy tiago from them or skipped the brand entirely

Also till now the interaction has been quite decent. They got the car home for test drive . I stay about 8km from their place (Bellandur).
And when my wife wanted to see they arranged a longish test drive at 45 min notice. It was about 7km test drive second time. So till now have had decent experience with them

Last edited by aniyo : 11th March 2019 at 19:58.
Old 11th March 2019, 20:48   #134
BHPian

Quote:
So did you buy tiago from them or skipped the brand entirely

Also till now the interaction has been quite decent. They got the car home for test drive . I stay about 8km from their place (Bellandur).
And when my wife wanted to see they arranged a longish test drive at 45 min notice. It was about 7km test drive second time. So till now have had decent experience with them
Thinking to skip. My worry starts with the paid services where car starts aging and good service is a must. Not blaming Tata car quality but their service quality reviews. I retains cars for atleast 7 years and expect service to improve over time
Old 11th March 2019, 20:55   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Thinking to skip. My worry starts with the paid services where car starts aging and good service is a must.
Agree to that. All we can do is hope that they improve over the next few years till our cars come to the point where we need good service.

Itís a function of sales as well. If they sell well their dealers can employ good people. Else itís a chicken and egg story. They are doing well off lately and with the new launches I hope they can get more market share.

Most Viewed