Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Tata Nexon 267 53.83%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 28 5.65%
Ford EcoSport 163 32.86%
Honda WR-V 18 3.63%
Hyundai i20 Active 2 0.40%
Mahindra TUV300 7 1.41%
Other 11 2.22%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2017, 14:39   #16

Re: Tata Nexon vs the others

With the best design language and segment leading features.
My vote goes to Tata Nexon
Old 26th October 2017, 17:36   #17
Team-BHP Support

Other.

I am not a fan of this segment at all. Each car is strong in one area, but weak in another. More importantly, no car listed here appeals to me. If I absolutely have to spend this kind of money, I will spend it on something I would like to own - Mahindra Thar. It's under 4 meters in length, has air-conditioning and a proper 4WD system and is much better looking than any of these "SUVs".

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2017 at 17:38.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 23:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ok I’ve voted for Nexon our homegrown kid!

Why?

Why, why when I already own a Brezza? I wouldn’t give up on my Brezza because it’s already in my porch and has satisfied me to a great extent. So if something has to challenge this, then it has to be a notch higher than this segment.

If at all I go for another compact SUV (a bit exaggerated), then Nexon is the pick, hands down! Purely because it’s Tata - even though the brand suffers in terms of reliability and durability grounds, I’m still counting on them because of their potential which they’ve started to exploit of late with Tigor, Tiago, Hexa and the Nexon which is contemporary. Tiago, for example. is one of the best selling cars from Tata's stable. Yes, they’ve pointed themselves in the right direction, is what I strongly feel with the recent launches and the upcoming ones such as a premium hatchback and sedan offering in the pipeline (vaguely recall to have read a post on this!). Besides, Mr Ratan Tata has proved what they’re capable of when they consumed JLR and got it under the Indian shade. I was pretty happy because I’m trying to be a patriot here as well supporting an independent Indian Company! Tata will surely excel in the coming years and will create a strong niche for themselves.

Ok apart from the sentimental feeling, purely from technical standpoint, Diesel Nexon takes my heart away with the power it packs alongside specs and the tech it carries. Somewhat the rear and alloy wheel design is a turn off to me but I can still live with it because the front invites you with a butch looking smile. TBHP official review also has some positive feedback on the build quality which is a notch higher compared to its rivals (I’ll keep the Ecosport aside for now) and inspires confidence. Yes, no product comes free of its shortcomings - we will keep it to a different thread. Albeit it’s a bit obese compared to its competitors, I think size doesn’t really matter as long as the performance translates its disadvantage into a smile on an average driver like me

Last edited by gururajrv : 26th October 2017 at 23:54.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2017, 23:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

As with the trend that the poll is taking, It's Nexon followed by the ES for me. The ES feels a little more compact than it actually is.
Old 31st October 2017, 11:53   #20
BHPian

Dear all,

Voted for Ford Ecosport (Diesel).

Yes it has some unique design, Best Prices in the segment and funky colours but Looking at the Nexon one can't say it is a big car.

Just Yesterday spotted parked along with Ecosport. Ecosport definitely looks bigger and better. The four colour theme simply i can't digest in a 10L car.
Old 31st October 2017, 12:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ecosport bigger? Boot size is same. Nexon is wider and has more leg room comparing to Ecosport.
Old 31st October 2017, 12:34   #22
BHPian

Voted Nexon just because it's a TATA.

With my experiences of Maruti and Hyundai after sales, TATA is way better in the way they attend to the car and the owner. Right from driving into their premises, to updates and finally taking delivery, irrespective of dealership (Aadya, Prerana or Concord), I have had a pleasant experience with my Hexa and a friend's Tiago.
Totally opposite to what the Maruti and Hyundai had to offer.

With the products becoming better day by day, am sure the reliability and after sales experience of owners too will be pleasant.

Was confused with the Ecosport, but given it's harsh ride quality and smaller cabin (specially the rear seats, Nexon looks way bigger), the Nexon it is.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 31st October 2017 at 12:36.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 12:41   #23
BHPian

I voted for the Nexon primarily because I loved its looks; all the other advantages are the icing. I liked the new Ecosport from all the previews, but all those extra goodies will come at a premium of about 2 Lakh (my guess). Hence the Nexon it is.
Old 31st October 2017, 12:57   #24
BHPian

I voted for EcoSport just because it has better safety features.
I liked the looks of Nexon, if only it had better safety features.
Old 1st November 2017, 10:21   #25
BHPian

When Ford Ecosport was launched in 2013, it floored everyone with its revolutionary looks. And 4 years down the line, you do feel that the looks are getting better with age. If i would line up all the cars in this segment, Ecosport would always stand out apart in terms of the design. Also the term Beauty with Brains fits Ecosport like a glove. Apart from the design, the diesel engine is nearly flawless in terms of performance.

Tata has made a great effort in trying to deliver Nexon at a competitive price point with so many features. However the looks are too quirky (personal opinion) for me.

So its Ford ecosport for me !!!

Last edited by dpkbehera : 1st November 2017 at 10:22.
Old 1st November 2017, 11:39   #26
BHPian

Brezza is in a different league (in terms of sales), the TUV 300 is very different - RWD built on a ladder frame chassis, the WRV and i20 Active are based on hatch backs, Hence the fight in this segment is between the Ecosport and the Nexon.

Nexon is a great package and is on par with the New Ecosport until one analyses the features.

While the engines (diesel), looks, dimensions remain equally matched, the Ecosport trumps the Nexon in the following,

Comprehensive Safety: 6 Airbags, ESP, Traction control, Brake Assist, Hill launch assist. One can't get a Nexon with these.

Automatic: Petrol AT choice is a no-brainer, Only Ecosport offers a petrol AT in the segment and this monopoly is further enhanced with a reliable (over dual clutch transmission) Toque converter unit and Paddle shifters. TATA needs to get its diesel AT sooner.

Petrol Engine: A bigger 1.5 ltr naturally aspirated petrol would invariably be stress free than a 1.2 turbo charged unit while doing its duty. No need to follow idling rule. The new Dragon series produces more power and the reviews have been positive thus far.

Hence I have voted for the Ecosport, The Nexon while being a fantastic proposition, loses out to the Ecosport on safety aspects which for me is very hard to ignore.

One should also take into consideration that the Titanium + offering these safety features would breach the 10 lacs barrier but the Nexon XZ+ is under 10 Lacs. IMO the additional premium for the Ecosport is still worth it considering the features on offer.

A sun roof in the Titanium trim would have probably killed the WRV

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 1st November 2017 at 11:42.
Old 1st November 2017, 14:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Vitara Brezza.

WRV makes little sense as compared to Jazz, specially for the fact that rear seat doesn't have adjustable rear headrests which Jazz has on top end variant. Diesel is still noisy for me, and it wont appeal to me as an SUV.

i20 Active, TUV300 never come across to me as exciting products.

Nexon, Ecoport and Vitara Brezza the ones I have to select from.
Nexon : Good build, feels solid over bad roads, but suspension is way too stiff for urban ride quality. Rear end tilts towards hatchback, rear headroom is a bit less as form over function theme is followed, rear seat under thigh support is slightly lacking. Diesel engine is well tuned and has more than sufficient grunt. Negligible lag make it easy to drive. Love the headlight level adjustment on lights stalk.

Somehow, its the badge that keeps me from considering a winner for me.

Ecosport : Except cabin space and dealer experience in my city, nothing to find fault with in case of diesel. 1.5 litre 3-cylinder petrol is too much to digest as I currently drive a smooth 1.2 litre petrol. Also, I am not aware of pricing of facelifted model.

Brezza : It isn't exciting, doesn't exactly stand out when it comes to interiors. But a balanced ride, space efficiency, clean lines which will age slow and a proven engine make it worth a buy IMO. Engine is well known for turbo lag and its well documented. Still, as an overall package, Brezza take the win in my opinion.

My view might change once facelifted Ecoport's prices are revealed.
Only thing affecting Nexon is badge and lack of trust towards it. Nexon's diesel engine is really nice to drive in cities and on open roads alike. 110 horses with a reasonable price tag is actually good value.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 1st November 2017 at 14:39.
Old 6th November 2017, 14:15   #28
BHPian

I’m in the market for a safe, well built car that can tackle rough roads and is a petrol automatic. Even before the facelift, the EcoSport was pretty much the only vehicle that fit the bill. After the facelift, with the more powerful petrol engine under the hood and the far better equipped top-end automatic variant, there’s not even any room to consider any other car.

The list of pros is lengthy. Whether it be the handling prowess of the car or its high speed stability, whether its the steering that provides ample feedback or the formidable safety kit that is on offer, the EcoSport has it all.

I am particularly impressed with the build quality of the vehicle and the solid active and passive safety tech it is equipped with. I’ll feel confident driving on India’s roads with my family sitting in a car that has curtain airbags and ESP and a strongly built body with large crumple zones and heavy doors.

With the exception of the Hyundai i20 Active and the dual-tone Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, I think every other compact SUV in Honda WR-V and Tata Nexon are over designed and loud and look weird to my eyes, and anything designed by Mahindra has no class whatsoever. The Nexon has the added disadvantage of being a Tata.

Besides that, none of these other cars offer automatic transmissions, which rules them out for me, or a safety kit that is anywhere near as accomplished as the EcoSport’s. If it needs to be an SUV under ₹15 lac OTR (particularly an automatic one), you can do no better than the Ford EcoSport in the Indian market today.

Last edited by aryayush : 6th November 2017 at 14:19.
aryayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 15:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post

I am particularly impressed with the build quality of the vehicle and the solid active and passive safety tech it is equipped with. I’ll feel confident driving on India’s roads with my family sitting in a car that has curtain airbags and ESP and a strongly built body with large crumple zones and heavy doors.
Just require a clarification. The existing model has no door locks on the inside and can be opened at any time, any speed from the inside. How is that not a safety hazard? Is it only the car in which i sat, or is this the way the car is designed? If it's the latter, then no amount of airbags or safety electronics matter to me if a kid or anyone unknowingly opens the door.

Hope this is rectified in the new model that's coming up. Anyways it would sell like hotcakes, irrespective of it's way bumpy ride and a small rear cabin!

Last edited by abhi7013 : 6th November 2017 at 15:18.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 15:27   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Just require a clarification. The existing model has no door locks on the inside and can be opened at any time, any speed from the inside. How is that not a safety hazard? Is it only the car in which i sat, or is this the way the car is designed? If it's the latter, then no amount of airbags or safety electronics matter to me if a kid or anyone unknowingly opens the door.

Hope this is rectified in the new model that's coming up. Anyways it would sell like hotcakes, irrespective of it's way bumpy ride and a small rear cabin!
I believe the auto lock or even the manual lock is a mandate by regulation. I cant think this was missed by an oversight.

Most Viewed