Team-BHP > What Car?

View Poll Results: Which compact SUV would you pick?
Tata Nexon 267 53.83%
Maruti Vitara Brezza 28 5.65%
Ford EcoSport 163 32.86%
Honda WR-V 18 3.63%
Hyundai i20 Active 2 0.40%
Mahindra TUV300 7 1.41%
Other 11 2.22%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2017, 15:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon vs the others

Voted for the EcoSport considering its fun-to-drive nature. However, I'm eager to see how this poll turns out to be post the pricing announcement of all new EcoSport that would define its VFM package. The numbers would clearly tell how does it compete head-on with the Nexon. Can't wait for the official review of the EcoSport from Team-BHP !

Cheers,
Vijay

Last edited by vvijay : 6th November 2017 at 15:40.
Old 6th November 2017, 19:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Just require a clarification. The existing model has no door locks on the inside and can be opened at any time, any speed from the inside. How is that not a safety hazard? Is it only the car in which i sat, or is this the way the car is designed? If it's the latter, then no amount of airbags or safety electronics matter to me if a kid or anyone unknowingly opens the door.
When I read this in the official review, it took me by surprise as well. It is pretty unbelievable that this is actually true, but it is. Ford has rectified it in the facelift version though. You get very nice looking door locks on every door now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Anyways it would sell like hotcakes, irrespective of it's way bumpy ride and a small rear cabin!
The ride quality is a touch better and the seats are more comfortable now, but both of these complaints will remain for the facelift model as well. Both of these are major downers for me but you cannot have everything. If we go with a car that has a more spacious rear seat and a more pliant ride, we have to concede on aspects like drive quality and safety and even the automatic gearbox, all of which would be worse.
aryayush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 21:18   #33
mxx
BHPian

I did not vote because I am not able to decide between nexon and ecosport. not just for voting, I am planning to upgrade my car. around 7 months back I had decided to go for ecosport, but decided to wait for the facelift. I checked out the Brezza too, but found it to be very mediocre, specially when compared to ecosport. Did not find anything great about WRV either. Then came nexon which is the only other vehicle in the segment that I really liked. Now, confused as to which one to choose.
Old 8th November 2017, 01:15   #34
BHPian

For starters, a bit surprised to see the S-Cross missing from the list here.

Perhaps, the sale charts did not see the kind of meteoric rise that it did with the EcoSport or the i20, but the WR-V isn't a bestseller either

Anyway, voted for the WR-V for the sheer styling and would pick the Nexon for it's new 1.5 litre mill.
Old 8th November 2017, 17:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
For starters, a bit surprised to see the S-Cross missing from the list here.

Perhaps, the sale charts did not see the kind of meteoric rise that it did with the EcoSport or the i20, but the WR-V isn't a bestseller either
Probably that's because its >4m . If you notice all the contenders are sub-4m.

Coming back to the topic, I would hold on to my vote until Ecosport pricing is revealed.

Both Ecosport and Nexon look pretty competitive in the segment for now.
Old 10th November 2017, 13:25   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Now, confused as to which one to choose.
Now that pricing for Ecosport is revealed, have you decided which car to go for?
Old 16th November 2017, 14:13   #37
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_tp View Post
Now that pricing for Ecosport is revealed, have you decided which car to go for?

No, that did not help much. when I checked out the pre-facelift version sometime back, I had decided on the Titanium version. which was just under 10lakhs ex-showroom. Now, with the price announcement, the titanium version is still under 10 lakhs, and the Titanium+ on-road will be around 1.5lakhs more, which is a bit of a stretch for me. Comparing Titanium with Nexon XZ+, the price difference is not much, and the features are closely matched.
Old 19th November 2017, 19:37   #38
BHPian

Compact SUV - Petrol or Diesel dilemma

Hi Friends,

I have almost finalized on upgrading to a compact SUV from hatchback.
I never liked Breeza looks. I took test drive of Nexon, and have been keenly waiting for the Ford Ecosport facelift release. I may take a test drive shortly.

My planned budget is to be within 12 lakhs.

I have been driving a petrol car for the last 11+ years. Mostly I commute to office and have some week end drives within city limits (for a total of maximum about 160 kms/week), and occasional long drives (once in 4 months).

I also understand that the diesel engine technology has improved a lot during last 5-6 years.

Though I have driven diesel engines, I am not sure about the long running/maintainability costs associated with it, and hence unable to decide if I should continue to look for a petrol or diesel.

I am not the one who would change car frequently, I wish to keep the car for at least 10 years, and of course maintain it well as I am doing to my current car

1. My daily running is not high
2. Maintenance should be light
3. Decent Mileage in City ( I would be happy if I get around 14 kmpl in City, around 17 kmpl in highways)
4. Enjoyable / fun filled ride quality within and outside city
5. Manual transmission

Can you pleas help me choose and share your thoughts,
blrboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 19:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Compact SUV - Petrol or Diesel dilemma

A petrol car of the same brand would be atleast 50K cheaper than the diesel brethren!

As your usage is not high, suggest you stick to petrol

The new ECOSPORT from Ford could tick the boxes for you!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 20:09   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrboy View Post
Hi Friends,

:
I had similar question (from the start line to end line) and I opted for Diesel.

Reason-
I did not mind spending 75k or 1lakh for Diesel initially but later I will not have to think much when i will take my car out.

I wanted to have top end model of ecosport and it is available in Diesel and Petrol AT only.
manish_symc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 22:12   #41
BHPian

A petrol car of the same brand would be atleast 50K cheaper than the diesel brethren!

As your usage is not high, suggest you stick to petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The new ECOSPORT from Ford could tick the boxes for you!
Thank you. Ecosport facelift petrol is definitely on the top in my list. Only doubt I had is this being a new engine in the market as compared to the proven and tested diesel version.
Old 19th November 2017, 22:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

I never liked Breeza looks. I took test drive of Nexon, and have been keenly waiting for the Ford Ecosport facelift release. I may take a test drive shortly.

My planned budget is to be within 12 lakhs.

I have been driving a petrol car for the last 11+ years. Mostly I commute to office and have some week end drives within city limits (for a total of maximum about 160 kms/week), and occasional long drives (once in 4 months).

I also understand that the diesel engine technology has improved a lot during last 5-6 years.

Though I have driven diesel engines, I am not sure about the long running/maintainability costs associated with it, and hence unable to decide if I should continue to look for a petrol or diesel.

I am not the one who would change car frequently, I wish to keep the car for at least 10 years, and of course maintain it well as I am doing to my current car

3. Decent Mileage in City ( I would be happy if I get around 14 kmpl in City, around 17 kmpl in highways)
5. Manual transmission

Can you pleas help me choose and share your thoughts,
For your current needs, Petrol will do but car buying is a long term decision. So think again and do the math.
Have you considered and thought through whether you foresee any future needs/requirements that would require more travel? If your answer still remains the same satisfies the above needs, then stick to Petrol.

For #3, if you are expecting 14 kmpl in city and 17 kmpl in highways, i really doubt that Petrol cars that too with CSUV will meet your need. Diesel is the option.

Of course, there is no perfect car which will meet 100% of your requirements. You have compromise on something somewhere. So my suggestion is to buy a car that suits your requirements/needs in foreseeable future. In that sense, latest Ford EcoSport facelift will match most of your needs (Either Trend+ AT or Titanium Diesel) in your budget. I don't expect Petrol to tick your 3rd point. Diesel will tick all your above needs, but with higher initial price and slightly higher maintenance cost. That is the price you pay upfront and compromise you have to do now.

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 19th November 2017 at 22:21.
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 00:04   #43
BHPian

I own a Brezza, some how liked its looks. It was a calculated decision as my budget was small 9L.

In your case you have better choices. Even though compact SUVs are car like to drive, they are relatively heavier and also have a higher drag. Torque and power would suffice those shortcomings. In my opinion, go for a car with best drivability, torqy and safe. Diesel might be costlier but they also have higher resale value, so don't get confused, get the car that drives the best.

Eco-Sport and Nexon are the obvious choices but since the year end is close, probably you might get jaw dropping offers on Duster, might well fit in your budget.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 00:38   #44
BHPian

You have mentioned your city as Bangalore and a small running of around 800 km a month, mostly in city. You are not just in petrol territory but in a territory where you can easily opt for a petrol automatic.

Unfortunately the only option you have currently is the Ecosport. The mileage would definitely not be very high, but the convenience will be. Creta is significantly out of your budget. If you are open to trying different segments like premium hatchbacks or C segment sedans, you would have more options to consider from, some which might even be significantly cheaper.
Old 20th November 2017, 01:11   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

Can you please help me choose and share your thoughts,
Birboy, this is a thread I will be following to read replies by experts to your query because I am in the same boat.
My criteria would be an automatic transmission and I am torn between a Diesel or Petrol Compact SUV.

One major grouse I have is that I need to buy the topmost version of a vehicle to get a decent level of safety features - except in the Creta family where the SX(O) is much better equipped than the SX+

I am waiting for any updates on the HR-V and I sincerely hope that Toyota Rush is launched in our country.
I prefer sticking to the Korean & Japanese vehicles for peace of mind ownership.

Hoping your thread and query allows me to clarify a few doubts I have and i hope to get a clearer picture of what my next vehicle should be, in case it isn't the HR-V or Rush.

Most Viewed