Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2018, 17:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why buy fossil fueled cars, when electric cars are available?

Once cars start running on electricity, there are various sources of electricity one can tap. Not all are smokey. Wind, water, sun, atomic energy are all much cleaner than coal. But the traditional car cannot ever exploit the advantages of the cleaner sources of power.

That said, going by the current state of affairs I would still give it a decade for the EVs to truly arrive and settle down.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 17:29   #32
BHPian

Re: Why buy fossil fueled cars, when electric cars are available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
The only thing that an EV does at the moment, is change the place of pollution. Till the time we have electricity generation from coal, EVs will largely be the same in terms of emissions.
I second that thought buddy & here is a pic for illustration
Should I wait for an electric/hybrid?-img20180812wa0040.jpg
KING DYSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 17:47   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should I wait for an electric/hybrid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Why should I go for a conventional, polluting fossil-fueled Car, when affordable clean Electric ones are available in couple of years ?
If you ask me, that's exactly the reason you should buy another fast high-revving petrol or a torque-wave diesel . Enjoy them while you can!

On a serious note though, EVs are still a little time away. Usually with new tech, we see a 'top down' approach and there is still no good EV on sale in the country today. Also, petrols & diesels aren't going away anytime soon.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 18:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you ask me, that's exactly the reason you should buy another fast high-revving petrol or a torque-wave diesel . Enjoy them while you can!

On a serious note though, EVs are still a little time away. Usually with new tech, we see a 'top down' approach and there is still no good EV on sale in the country today. Also, petrols & diesels aren't going away anytime soon.
Have you driven a good EV? They are seriously fun...pick up is lipsmackingly good.

But yes, private EV revolution in India is still at least 3-4 years away.
chinkara is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2018, 21:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Have you driven a good EV? They are seriously fun...pick up is lipsmackingly good.
Owning a car is much more than just the driving. EVs need a whole lot of infrastructure such as charging stations which has yet to come up.

Also there's a thread on TBHP about the ownership experience of Mahindra e2o, which points to a lack of support from the manufacturer side as well. It seems to be the case of the technology being too new for adoption by even the manufacturer in terms of training, parts etc.
Old 12th August 2018, 22:17   #36
BHPian

Oh I agree. Infrastructure is needed.
The proposal is to create it for public vehicles first.

But GTO was mentioning about the fun of owning and driving a petrol vehicle and I just commented that a well-made EV can be fun to ride as well.
Old 1st October 2018, 13:54   #37
BHPian

Quote:

But GTO was mentioning about the fun of owning and driving a petrol vehicle and I just commented that a well-made EV can be fun to ride as well.

A well made EV can be fun to drive but it would never be able to match the drama something like a high-revving manual petrol car will give you. "Fun" in this term is not only the pick up a car provides but also the satisfaction of seeing that rev needle hitting the redline with the engine screaming it's heart out only to upshift and experience this all over again.
Old 1st October 2018, 14:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

During my recent visit to US, had a chance to drive colleagues Model 3 a lot. When I saw other German premium cars on roads, thought why are they even building these

I think the EV revolution is slow due to current car makers. Hope it moves ahead faster now.

Coming to source of electric power, a couple of months ago, 84% of Karnataka's power was coming from renewable sources. Wind and Solar capacities are increasing fast in the state.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 16:23   #39
BHPian

@Pratyush2407,

Each to their own I suppose!

For me fun is about torque, about pickup. Engine noise does not do anything for me. I guess spending time in testing areas for marine and genset engines does that for you!!!
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 18:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
@Pratyush2407,

I guess spending time in testing areas for marine and genset engines does that for you!!!

Thanks for your concern but am currently enjoying the peace of simpler things of life at a hill station.

On a side note even I wouldn't enjoy engine noise in my car if it sounded like a mixer grinder.

Last edited by Pratyush2407 : 1st October 2018 at 18:46. Reason: Typo
Old 25th November 2018, 08:27   #41
BHPian

I don't think we should even wait for electric vehicles. The Govt. touts itself for being progressive and wishing to adopt Electric vehicles.

However, they are just sitting/stalling on important infrastructural decisions, and just today, all the 3 Oil PSUs released advertisements in major newspaper seeking creation of new fossil fuel pumps. I do understand that the location could be of remote areas, where it's necessary, but I'm wishing to see a day soon where a similar notice is issued for EV infrastructure.

Link : Telegraph E-paper
Old 25th November 2018, 09:16   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
Hi,
My present ride (a Skoda Octavia from 2014) is entering its 5th year and I was exploring options for a change in the not too distant future...
Should I wait another year or so in the anticipation of arrival of EV or Hybrids? What will happen to resale value for the petrols/diesels (even though my current ride is unlikely to cause a stampede in the used car market ? ...Would really like to know what you guys think?
Just to share with you what I am planning to do. Over the next 5 years move to Hybrids or EV. I started by replacing one car with a Hybrid and as the others come up to their 10 year life [or in case of diesels their 7-year mark] they will get replaced by a EV or a Hybrid or best a Plug-in Hybrid. Which of the three will be a function of what is available and proven. If ranges remain as they are today or improve only slightly then EV for city running about and Plug-In Hybrid for longer ranges.
Old 25th November 2018, 12:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ndt...akamai-rum=off

An update from MH. Steps are being taken to set up infrastructure. Perhaps they are not being covered in the mainstream media as much as they should be.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2019, 13:52   #44
BHPian

New technologies get adopted faster than most people think. Even if we assume EVs are 5 years away, the buzz will start in 2-3 years when people see more and more practical models getting launched. That could be enough for a drop in resale value of ICE. For me buying a new car in the coming two years looks financially suboptimal.

EESL is working hard to usher in the revolution. I know it wouldn't be as easy as the LED campaign they did so well.

https://energy.economictimes.indiati...ually/67456533
VindyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks