Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2018, 11:05   #1

Honda City vs Ford EcoSport

I truly understand that it is a terrible question to ask but I need to make a decision between these two. Talking about cars is one thing but while buying price also becomes one major criteria which can completely change the decision parity. The only thing which is common between these two vehicles, is the price (and it matters) , which is approx 11.8 L on road Bangalore. I have done extensive research and test drive sessions and eliminated all the other cars. Yes I am firm at least on this count ! I will buy only between these two, and variants too are non negotiable.

Now little bit on my confusion. I wanted a car which is
1. economical to run. My daily drive ranges between 24-35KM.
2. descent space for a family of 3.
3. fun to drive.
4. decently comfortable. (fun to drive can be slightly traded here)
5. High priority to safety.
6. Social factors, yeah human after all :-|
7. Strict on road budget 12L or less.

My ownership timeline will be approximately 6-8 years, because I think once I run into home loans etc. in the near future I will barely have surplus fund flows to change my car even if I wish to. Based on these requirements Ecosport makes sense.

But suddenly I got greedy and slightly dishonest to my set rules and thought of why not get Honda City, which is a segment above (is it true?) so that in the longer run I don't feel any urgency to change and can keep it in the long run.

I test drove both the vehicles and both are a pleasure to drive, yes they have different power trains hence different characters, but I enjoyed both. With only Rs 9 price difference between petrol and diesel, how much of a difference it will make in terms of ownership. I mostly drive in city (Bangalore outer ring road) during rush hour, though occasional highways stints cannot be ruled out. A slightly higher running cost is manageable if I can get a vehicle which is segment above.

Can you please help me with some thoughts which can help making decision.

Can anyone share City's mileage in the mad rush hour traffic ?
vsjha18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 12:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda City vs Ford EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsjha18 View Post
My ownership timeline will be approximately 6-8 years, because I think once I run into home loans etc. in the near future I will barely have surplus fund flows to change my car even if I wish to. Based on these requirements Ecosport makes sense.

But suddenly I got greedy and slightly dishonest to my set rules and thought of why not get Honda City, which is a segment above (is it true?) so that in the longer run I don't feel any urgency to change and can keep it in the long run.
Correct - "Based on these requirements Ecosport makes sense"
Wrong - "why not get Honda City, which is a segment above"

Lot of people I know have moved to Ecosport/Duster/Creta from City/Verna over the past 4-5 years. Simply because a crossover is more practical, capable and comfortable for our country. Sedans are perfect until the roads turn bad, and they always do!

Last edited by navin : 12th February 2018 at 12:57. Reason: fixed tags
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 12:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Rather than City, Creta would be a comparable next segment car. If you feel that you may outgrow the sub-4m car in near future, then you will do so sooner than you realize. Since this is a major purchase for many, make sure you think of future as well.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 12:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

I own both cars.

Quote:
1. economical to run. My daily drive ranges between 24-35KM.
2. descent space for a family of 3.
3. fun to drive.
4. decently comfortable. (fun to drive can be slightly traded here)
Both are fairly similar.

Quote:
5. High priority to safety.
The EcoSport wins here, considering significantly better build quality of Ford

Quote:
6. Social factors, yeah human after all :-|
Both Honda and Ford are more or less, mainstream brands so I doubt one has more equity over the other.

Quote:
Resale of the City will be significantly better than that of the EcoSport.

Quote:
I don't believe the City is a segment higher. Ford has loaded the EcoSport really well so at no point would you feel you're missing out on anything.

Quote:
I mostly drive in city (Bangalore outer ring road) during rush hour, though occasional highways stints cannot be ruled out
You might just appreciate the EcoSport's higher GC

Quote:
Can anyone share City's mileage in the mad rush hour traffic ?
The City is my dad's daily drive in Gurgaon (traffic worse than in Bangalore) and yet, he manages 16ish kmpl.

Quote:
Can you please help me with some thoughts which can help making decision.
Can't go wrong with either. I guess it'll boil down to your personal view now: whether you want a SUVish vehicle or a sedan.

EDIT: I'd say, extend your budget to the Titanium+. 6 airbags.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th February 2018 at 12:47.
libranof1987 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 12:41   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I truly understand that it is a terrible question to ask but I need to make a decision between these two.
I would not consider any of the C segment sedans completely one segment above the Ecosport. Yes- the top variants do come in at a higher price point, but practically should not be a decision point in my opinion.

So keeping that aside, based on your other requirements, no real reason to go for the City. The Ecosport is a solid car, the face-lift takes care of some of the missing nice to have features and considering Bangalore roads, an SUV type vehicle makes sense.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 12:49   #6
BHPian

Gone are the days when City was "a segment above" to premium hatchbacks. Ecosport is much better built than the city. Yes, it is bigger (boot as well as rear seat space) and would give a better comfort to rear seat occupants. On the flip side, with low GC, you would be very aware and mindful of pot-hole filled roads that we have in India, and would not be able to "freely" enjoy the plush-er ride.

Both the engines are tried and tested for long term reliability and can be safely designated as "best-in-segment". Diesel suits your sort of running better than a petrol. Till 5-7 years, both cars will hold on to a decent resale value too. Above 7 years, city would likely fetch you more in resale.

Take your pick keeping in mind the cost of running and the kind of use you would put the cars in "usually" (kind of roads you would drive on "mostly" neglecting the occasional drives on good roads and highways). I would personally prefer 5 days of fuss - free driving over bad city roads over a weekend drive, for example (though both cars would give similar driving experience on highways as well. On hills, ecosport would fare better IMO).

My pick - Ecosport. Nowadays, City is not so much of a snob value as well (to show off). These are SUV times after - all.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 13:21   #7
BANNED

You are thinking about a 6 - 8 year stint, hence your personal choice matters a lot. Even if you make a minimalist compromise, that would become a drag after 6 years, after all as you say we are human.

As resale won’t matter much after 8 years of ownership, I would suggest you to follow your heart than mind here.

Why you could choose City:
If any time during this 8 years duration, you need to carry 5 persons and airport luggage, City is for you. On my few rental car experiences, I found Ecosport's rear seats are cramped for a vehicle of this size.
Again, City would give you a massive 150 liter of boot space advantage.
And lastly, we can never know what NGC have in their mind for Diesels in next 8 years.

Why you could choose Ecosport:
Ecosport diesel would be more fun to drive in Bangalore city traffic.
Higher ground clearance and high seating position would help in bumper to bumper traffic and those mountains on roads that they call speed breakers in Bangalore.
And, I believe ford maintains 1 year schedule for service, while Honda still follows 6 month schedule. So after 8 years, you will be looking at 8-10 services vs 16 - 18 services.

Last edited by GTO : 12th February 2018 at 17:45. Reason: typos
PetrolRider is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 12th February 2018, 14:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I test drove both the vehicles and both are a pleasure to drive, yes they have different power trains hence different characters, but I enjoyed both. With only Rs 9 price difference between petrol and diesel, how much of a difference it will make in terms of ownership. I mostly drive in city (Bangalore outer ring road) during rush hour, though occasional highways stints cannot be ruled out. A slightly higher running cost is manageable if I can get a vehicle which is segment above.
Price difference maybe Rs.9 between petrol and diesel but the latter normally give you better efficiency per litre. Otherwise, I don’t think City is really a segment above than the Ecosport.

One of the key consideration should be the quoted point below – with high priority on safety, you should consider something which has airbags all-around and all electronic safety aids (ESP, traction-control etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
EDIT: I'd say, extend your budget to the Titanium+. 6 airbags.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 15:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The City is my dad's daily drive in Gurgaon (traffic worse than in Bangalore) and yet, he manages 16ish kmpl.
Is it petrol city !! In that case this mileage seems phenomenal.
Old 12th February 2018, 15:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it petrol city !! In that case this mileage seems phenomenal.
Yes, '10 petrol.

Ultimately, it is the higher resale value of the Honda vs. better build quality and more safety (if you go for T+) of the Ford.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 16:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

I was in the same situation as well a few months back. However, to candid I did not find any plus to the EcoSport other than the ground clearance. It's like a bloated hatch. No where an SUV. If just ground clearance mandated it to be an SUV then even a Fiat Linea TJet is one. With the city I got more space, bigger boot and the V variant was loaded with features.
I have scraped the car once, during my trip to Kodai where the road leading to the house where I was staying was a dirt road with no lights, 5 onboard with luggage. Yes an EcoSport would have helped then but again I was careful when I went up and down later multiple times and it did not happen again.
Service costs are pretty less, with the city. I got the 1st paid service done and it cost me around 4k including synthetic oil change. I pay 8k with synthetic oil on my Ritz Zxi which is yearly.

Please don't get me wrong, the EcoSport in itself is a great car. It's just that how many times would you need the 35mm extra ground clearance. The roads are not that bad nowadays to demand higher ground clearance. Bangalore speed breakers are a non issue. For the times you do, you just need to be careful. For the rest of the times, you have huge space, better legroom, bigger boot, more features and that sweet sweet ivtec.
Altocumulus is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 16:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I was in the same situation as well a few months back. However, to candid I did not find any plus to the EcoSport other than the ground clearance. It's like a bloated hatch. No where an SUV. If just ground clearance mandated it to be an SUV then even a Fiat Linea TJet is one. With the city I got more space, bigger boot and the V variant was loaded with features.
I have scraped the car once, during my trip to Kodai where the road leading to the house where I was staying was a dirt road with no lights, 5 onboard with luggage. Yes an EcoSport would have helped then but again I was careful when I went up and down later multiple times and it did not happen again.
Service costs are pretty less, with the city. I got the 1st paid service done and it cost me around 4k including synthetic oil change. I pay 8k with synthetic oil on my Ritz Zxi which is yearly.

Please don't get me wrong, the EcoSport in itself is a great car. It's just that how many times would you need the 35mm extra ground clearance. The roads are not that bad nowadays to demand higher ground clearance. Bangalore speed breakers are a non issue. For the times you do, you just need to be careful. For the rest of the times, you have huge space, better legroom, bigger boot, more features and that sweet sweet ivtec.

How much fuel economy do you get in your Honda City (I hope it is petrol)? And what conditions do you mostly drive in ?
Old 12th February 2018, 16:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much fuel economy do you get in your Honda City (I hope it is petrol)? And what conditions do you mostly drive in ?
I drive from Graphite India Main Road (Brookfield/Whitefield) to RMZ Infinity (Old Madras Road) via Tin Factory in peak time. I get around 11-13 kmpl. On highways I get around 15 kmpl but again I am never drive 'economically' on the open road. When sedate I get decent figures. Like on a trip to the airport and back (100 kms) I got 17+ even though I was stuck for nearly an hour due to white topping of road near Ramamurthy Nagar. Or while coming down from Ooty through the 36 bend route I got 29kmpl. I got these numbers immediately after a full tank and resetting the trip meter.
It is a fuel efficient engine, but totally depends on how you drive.
Altocumulus is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 17:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I was in the same situation as well a few months back. However, to candid I did not find any plus to the EcoSport other than the ground clearance. It's like a bloated hatch. No where an SUV.

For the rest of the times, you have huge space, better legroom, bigger boot, more features and that sweet sweet ivtec.
That huge space accounts for a 5th occupant being a bit more comfortable, as compared to ecosport. Bigger boot, yes. But any bloated hatch with split folding rear seats and removable parcel tray provides much more flexibility to haul a wide range, size and shapes of luggage and other things (can you carry a 4 ft high plant in city's boot, for example?). More features in V compared to Titanium? Ecosport is fairly loaded itself, there would be lots of features missing in V MT which are in ecosport, including better build quality.

It does have better legroom though, and that sweet Ivtec. But the TDCI is no slouch either (and It's a diesel). I personally prefer petrols ahead of diesels. But the kind of daily usage mentioned by the OP, diesel would not harm.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 18:02   #15
BHPian

Re: Honda City vs Ford EcoSport

If you really need the additional GC then Ecosport. The roads you commute on most of the time should be looked at. No point buying the City and cursing your decision every morning tackling your neighbourhood speadbreakers first and the broken city roads later on.
The Hondas engine is beautiful on open roads when redlining.
The Ecosports Diesel engine will have better low end experience.
The rear seat space and large boot if not important for you, then the City is not necessary.
If possible you can buy the Figo diesel, great VFM car.(if GC requirement is met,based on YOUR requirement not others judgement.)
You can save a substantial amount.
Take it on rent for a day or two drive on your usual routes,check GC,ride quality,and what not.
And yes invest the savings and then buy a bigger car next time around....and I am not joking.
greendream is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed