Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2018, 03:29   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda City vs Ford EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
GTO,

I drive a Honda city V MT i-vtec 2016 model. I had been to mangalore last week and lived with a Zoomcar Creta for 5 days.The build quality of the car was impressive.
I assumed the build quality of Creta was top notch but recently came across this accident which made me to rethink!

Johnnny is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 10:26   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
How often would you use maps?
I agree about the rest but maps are extremely important. On highways they are a must because it gives me a rough idea of the road ahead particularly steep turns if any. Inside the city as well I find it useful even on the roads which I know very well because of the real time traffic information. They often suggest better routes during rush hour based on congestion.

But that, live traffic part is only applicable to google maps. Though the Honda City claims to have live traffic info in case it is connected to wifi, but I am not sure whether it is as good as google maps ! Also can it make alternative route decisions in real time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I drive from Graphite India Main Road (Brookfield/Whitefield) to RMZ Infinity (Old Madras Road) via Tin Factory in peak time. I get around 11-13 kmpl. On highways I get around 15 kmpl but again I am never drive 'economically' on the open road. When sedate I get decent figures. Like on a trip to the airport and back (100 kms) I got 17+ even though I was stuck for nearly an hour due to white topping of road near Ramamurthy Nagar. Or while coming down from Ooty through the 36 bend route I got 29kmpl. I got these numbers immediately after a full tank and resetting the trip meter.
It is a fuel efficient engine, but totally depends on how you drive.
Actually you drive on roads which are probably the worst in the country for office commutes. And from that perspective the FE numbers are impressive. I can live with anything 12KMPL or better.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th February 2018 at 10:45.
Old 15th February 2018, 12:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hyundai's quality is better than Honda, buddy. For an apples-to-apples comparison, drive the Verna & Creta side by side.

Out of curiosity, are we saying after driving the verna & creta side by side, Verna is a better overall package than the Creta?
Old 15th February 2018, 16:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsjha18 View Post
But that, live traffic part is only applicable to google maps. Though the Honda City claims to have live traffic info in case it is connected to wifi, but I am not sure whether it is as good as google maps ! Also can it make alternative route decisions in real time?
It is not great. Look and feel is awesome but otherwise useless. The map is provided by iGo which doesn't have the best maps for India. What i love about the maps is the way it shows whether to take the flyover/ underpass or the service road. That's about it. You can download google maps on the system, however it will multiple versions old which works great on the highways though.

I know I may sound like a Honda fanboy but it's not that. I do a lot of research before I buy a car looking at the pros and cons of all. I am not saying the city is good because I bought one. Its the other way around. I bought it because it is very good. Same for the Ritz. Most people hate it but it was one of the best products by Maruti. Very good and heavy build compared to the tin cans by Maruti. Afterall it has German genes in it.
The city serves most of my requirements. Nor do I need to carry a 4ft flower pot or a washing machine. I will might as well get it delivered, which I would have done even if I had an Ecosport. I needed a bigger boot space because I keep having guests and have to run to the airport. 60/40 doesnt make sense for me because then I wont have place for them to sit. Also I drive a lot and in the last 10-11 months with the City, I have gone to Chennai twice, Hyderabad twice, Goa, Pondicherry twice, Allepey, Ooty twice, Wayanad, Yelagiri, Kodaikanal. It is breeze to drive on the highways as well as the hills and sheds speed when required really really well. NVH level compared to the previous gen is bad, but I will get the 3M Acoustics Solutions done and that should take care of it to some extent.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 15th February 2018 at 16:40.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 17:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Nor do I need to carry a 4ft flower pot or a washing machine. I will might as well get it delivered, which I would have done even if I had an Ecosport. I needed a bigger boot space because I keep having guests and have to run to the airport. 60/40 doesnt make sense for me because then I wont have place for them to sit.
Well, for airport runs, we can hire Uber/Ola too, as you said - Get them delivered

Anyways, We buy whatever suits us better (or what we think is the best compromise, since none of the cars can EVER be perfect). City suits you, and it's a good car. It's like a Ciaz with a Honda engine - Better engine, slightly less comfortable on broken roads and with lower FE than Ciaz (you get some, you lose some). Ecosport is, as you said, a bloated Hatch (except that it looks better than most of the "regular" hatchbacks).
For me, both are equally good for what they offer. Ecosport is just a bit better in "it's segment" City is same in it's segment.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 17:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Since there is no AT being considered, I vote for Ecosport. The Titanium variant has improved ride quality and is just about fine. Unless you use the car only for home to office/ weekend shopping, Ecosport is the practical option. Diesel vs Petrol is a big debate, but since you are considering 2 cars at same purchase price, diesel is the one to go.

Reasons to go for Ecosport:
1. More fuel efficient than City Petrol.
2. Useful GC. The City might be ok with 1-2 people on board, but with 4 people and luggage you will have a tough time on even the smallest of humps.
3. Dirt cheap to maintain.
4. Resale. The diesel Ecosport will depreciate much slower than petrol City.
Ecosport took third place in a survey conducted, only Innova/Fortuner scored better in terms of resale value.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 18:33   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
3. Dirt cheap to maintain.
4. Resale. The diesel Ecosport will depreciate much slower than petrol City.
Ecosport took third place in a survey conducted, only Innova/Fortuner scored better in terms of resale value.
3. Honda is pretty reasonable. The City yearly periodic maintenance costs us about 6k.

4. Eh?! Leave aside surveys, the EcoSport will depreciate more than a City, any day. Ford vs. Honda. Honda will win. The City is an iconic brand and the current gen has regained some trust, in quality that it lost in '14.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 18:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
3. Honda is pretty reasonable. The City yearly periodic maintenance costs us about 6k.

4. Eh?! Leave aside surveys, the EcoSport will depreciate more than a City, any day. Ford vs. Honda. Honda will win. The City is an iconic brand and the current gen has regained some trust, in quality that it lost in '14.
Agree on maintenance, Honda is pretty cheap too. For resale you can check for any used car website or market. While diesel City might fetch same or better price than diesel ecosport(Diesel City is much more expensive as well), the petrol city will depreciate more than Diesel Ecosport. Again resale for Petrol Ecosport is not good but it is anyway irrelevant here.
Brand Honda/Toyota is stronger than Ford in used market, But it is brand Ecosport(rather than Ford) that is raking moolah. I sold my Ecosport last year, and I was taken by surprise by the amount of interest this car has(Got me great price too).

Just one of the comparisons, you will find many such
Honda City vs Ford EcoSport-com.jpg

Last edited by PrideRed : 15th February 2018 at 18:54.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 19:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree on maintenance, Honda is pretty cheap too. For resale you can check for any used car website or market. While diesel City might fetch same or better price than diesel ecosport(Diesel City is much more expensive as well), the petrol city will depreciate more than Diesel Ecosport. Again resale for Petrol Ecosport is not good but it is anyway irrelevant here.
Brand Honda/Toyota is stronger than Ford in used market, But it is brand Ecosport(rather than Ford) that is raking moolah. I sold my Ecosport last year, and I was taken by surprise by the amount of interest this car has(Got me great price too).

Just one of the comparisons, you will find many such
These are asking prices. There are many more with asking prices even higher.
Below are the used car price check Tbhp/OBV. See what the industry values the cars with equal age and mileage. Location was default which think is Delhi. Bangalore prices maybe a little more.

Honda City vs Ford EcoSport-eco.png
Honda City vs Ford EcoSport-city.png

Last edited by Altocumulus : 15th February 2018 at 19:20.
Altocumulus is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 19:55   #40
BHPian

I believe any decision in this price range ought to wait for a couple of months for the launch of Toyota Ativ. The pricing could be interesting with that one.

Amongst these two, I would pick Honda City any day. The car just feels like it has much more finesse and a much more pleasant driving and riding experience. Another factor that is often overlooked when buying cars is the urge to upgrade factor. With Ecosport, I feel within few years, maybe 4 or 5, you would start feeling the need to upgrade. With City, that urge would be delayed by 2-3 years, saving you not only more money, but also hopefully moving up an additional segment than you would have when you upgrade from Ecosport.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 20:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Below are the used car price check Tbhp/OBV. See what the industry values the cars with equal age and mileage. Location was default which think is Delhi. Bangalore prices maybe a little more.

Attachment 1731313
Attachment 1731314
These valuations are based on surveys. Please check Cars24 valuation and you will find quotation for Ecosport as 7.12-7.96 and for Honda city it is 6.96-7.74 . If surveys are anything to go by please also do check http://www.livemint.com/Money/Yy1CfE...used-cars.html.

Honda City vs Ford EcoSport-comp3.jpg
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 00:55   #42
BHPian

The gist of this thread is not just about City vs Ecosport, but mini SUVs like Ecosport/Nexon/WRV/Vitara Brezza vs City/Verna/Ciaz. The sedans are a VFM compared to similar priced mini SUVs going by the creature comforts and features. It is the practicality features like compact dimensions, flexible interiors, high seating position, easy ingress-egress of mini-SUVs that make them the preferred choice today. Yes, the sedans are VFM, stylish and carry the C-segment quotient. But the choice really depends on one's needs and preferences.

Fast-forward a couple of years and there is more on offer by the mini SUVs in the market compared to sedans:
* Petrol Vitara Brezza (facelifted)
* Honda Jazz with 1.5 VTec
* Jeep Renegade
* Facelifted Ertiga
* Kia Concept SP.
* Mahindra's S201 SUV

C-segment sedans:
* Toyota Yaris
* Facelifted Ciaz (new petrol Engine)
anthusiast is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 18:32   #43

Quote:
These valuations are based on surveys. Please check Cars24 valuation and you will find quotation for Ecosport as 7.12-7.96 and for Honda city it is 6.96-7.74 .
Quote:
Based on your comments it is clear that both the vehicles command reasonably good resale value. Yes it is true that Ecosport is bigger brand than Ford itself.

When I was buying used Santro in 2011, the 2006 cost me Rs 2.5L and at the same time Ford Icon, which was many segments above was quoting Rs 1.5 L. We all know the reason and the Fork Icon story. The pointed which I wanted to raise is, the rules of demand and supply play very differently in second hand market because of completely different buyer profile and preferences.

Don't you guys see the threat of NGT regulation playing a spoil sport for Ecosport? What happened to Delhi/NCR could happen to any Tier 1 city. Do you believe that the NGT threat is indeed real or we are reading too much into it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Another factor that is often overlooked when buying cars is the urge to upgrade factor. With Ecosport, I feel within few years, maybe 4 or 5, you would start feeling the need to upgrade. With City, that urge would be delayed by 2-3 years, saving you not only more money, but also hopefully moving up an additional segment than you would have when you upgrade from Ecosport.
I will certainly agree with this because I see a similar experience unfolding in my vicinity. One of my colleague who is driving Honda City from 7 years and is looking for an upgrade. He sort listed Jeep Compass which beyond is a pretty formidable choice. Even he believes Jeep Compass is a vehicle of higher order, but still he is not able to fully commit to his decision. Reason !! He is spoiled by the amount of cabin space he had been enjoying in his City. When we upgrade and put our big money we want to see improvement on all aspects of vehicle viz interior, exterior, power, drivability, build quality, safety and the oomph factor. Now he is contemplating going for Hyundai Tuscon.

City indeed raises the "upgrade threshold" to a very high podium which may result into more satisfying long term ownership experience.
vsjha18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 11:45   #44
BHPian

Honda City vs Ford EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsjha18 View Post

Don't you guys see the threat of NGT regulation playing a spoil sport for Ecosport? What happened to Delhi/NCR could happen to any Tier 1 city. Do you believe that the NGT threat is indeed real or we are reading too much into it?

I believe we are reading too much into the NGT threat. As GTO Sir said, even if your city puts a cap of 10 years on diesel vehicles, you will be able to enjoy your vehicle for the next 10 full years. Anyhow, most of us do not keep our vehicles for 10 years. Buying a diesel powered vehicle now is not going to be an issue for the next 10-11 years.

Let's assume your city puts a cap of 10 years in 2020. If you buy a diesel vehicle now, you can use it for the next 12 years. The only issue will be resale value if you are selling it after 9 or 10 years. Nobody may be willing to buy a diesel powered vehicle.

Last edited by Prathiiik : 18th February 2018 at 11:46.
Old 11th March 2018, 00:37   #45
BHPian

I'm having a very similar conundrum - I'm deciding between an EcoSport T+ AT and a Honda city CVT VX. With the relentless increase in the EcoSport's price, the difference between the two has shrunk to almost nothing. I can even find a couple of lightly used City's in the used car market which will save me a couple of lakhs or more.

Now, the car will be used 50/50 in the city and Highway. City usage will be in traffic clogged Bangalore, and the highway runs from Bangalore to Mysuru. Generally with just 2 on board.

I'm a fairly sedate driver and do not rev too much even on the highways - I rarely even touch 4K RPM on my Swift. What I appreciate is low-end and midrange grunt since this is where I'll be using the car the most.

While I know that the City is wicked quick if revved, how enjoyable is it at lower revs (say around 1500 to 3000rpm) ? I hear that the EcoSport is better at the lower end.

With my needs and driving styles what do you recommend?

I'm not too fussed about space, honestly.

Last edited by qaqa : 11th March 2018 at 00:38.

Most Viewed