Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car?

Old 28th February 2018, 01:42   #16
BHPian

Default re: Worthy upgrade for the Linea T-Jet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
I think the Jeep Compass (diesel) will be a worthy upgrade for 2 reasons :

1. Itís a LOT more powerful than a Linea. Will almost feel like a sports car.

2. Itís a different type of vehicle; will stimulate different feelings. Youíll have a better view of the road; ingress and egress will be easier and you wonít have any hesitations of driving over our great Indian road conditions.

Oh, and did I mention both Linea and Compass are cousins (FCA)? ;-) Itís not a bad thing to stay in the family. Hehe.
I agree and disagree

Though Compass is a good car, but Diesel is way too costly and does not justify my travel milage. Secondly, the cabin of the petrol one too, just does not feel premium enough for 20 Lacs. A good suggestion, though.

Will definitely scratch my brains.
mathuranuj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 08:32   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Worthy upgrade for the Linea T-Jet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
I plan to get a new car, but it should be an upgrade to the Linea. So, in your opinion what would be a suitable upgrade to Linea?
Not an easy upgrade within the given budget and other parameters. 3 options I can think of:
  1. Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI Ė Covers almost all the points you mentioned, power is decent as well Ė try and go for the Style variant if possible
  2. Jeep Compass diesel Ė Has loads of character and coming from the Linea you wonít feel out of place. Your monthly running is low, but still the diesel is a better option here
  3. Keep the Linea for another 2-3 years, at just 50K its still quite young.
vb-san is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 08:59   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Worthy upgrade for the Linea T-Jet?

Quote:
I have an almost 7 years old Linea T-Jet with 50K on the ODO. I love the car and have no issues with it.
Related Thread

You love your car and it isn't giving you any trouble. Why sell it then? Use it for some more time. Since it's 7 years old, you are practically using it for free now as it's already depreciated (especially the case as its a Fiat petrol).

At 50,000 km, she has a long life ahead of her. If you need to spice up your life, give her a midlife makeup . A remap, better ICE etc. These greatly help in making you enjoy your car more.

Invest the money you would have otherwise spent on a new car. Translated, retaining the Linea + investing your new car money means in another 2 - 3 years, you'll come back to the market with a bigger budget.

Then, buy an Octavia 1.8 / vRS. Never know what other options the segment may see (New Civic? New Jetta? Something else?).

Be open to diesels too. The big 2.0L diesels offer as much driving pleasure as your 1.4L Turbo. Plus, you'll have a lot more options if you include the bigger diesel cars.

If you absolutely want to take the plunge right now (I don't recommend it), go out shopping in the pre-owned segment. Many Europeans going at great prices (Octavias, Jettas, BMWs, Mercedes). If you get a Jetta from the final year of production, nothing like it. Remap it and you'll forget your Linea. It's an all-rounder and one European car that's reliable too.

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2018 at 09:26.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 09:50   #19
BHPian

Why upgrade now? Just for change? My suggestion would be to keep the car for another 50K as the current 50K is as good as new car. You can splurge on it to prep the car to look/feel/smell as new. Else wait for some more time as many new cars are expected in 2018/19 like Toyota Yaris, Honda Civic, Tata 45X and may be something from Hyundai/Kia too.
kozhissery is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 12:13   #20
BHPian

Sorry I'm not up to date with recent launches, but if petrol powered Compass is available with that 9 speed AT, should be an ideal upgrade.
prokinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 13:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post

1. Itís a LOT more powerful than a Linea. Will almost feel like a sports car.
Well, The Linea in T-Jet form is no slouch, by the way.
The Compass may have more power, but it is heavier.

I expect both to them be neck to neck in acceleration figures.
A glance at old ACI/OD data can clear this doubt.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 14:41   #22
BHPian

Very similar situation which i am in, but my Tjet is just 5 years old now. Have convinced myself to give her an upgrade with a remap and enjoy for a few more years. I suggest you keep the car for 2-3 years more and then think about an upgrade. Makes sense financially as well as hoping we will have more products like the TJet available for choice down the lane.
_raviShankar_ is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 15:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

If you're ok retaining the Linea with your wife, why not look at a hot hatch instead?

Some options that come to mind are the Polo GTi post discounts, Punto Abarth, etc. (subject to stock availability of course)

This way the Linea will be there for when you need the space and the practicality, and your daily drive will also be fun!

Alternately, if you're open to pre-owned - try and find a MT Superb (the later the better, early production cars had a lot of niggles - ideally the Facelift), or Laura TSi ? In fact, you can even look around for rare petrol Germans that would be available at great rates - I remember seeing a Volvo S60 T6 up for sale in the Pune TBHP Classifieds - but do keep some budget for maintenance of course.

Lastly, What about a new Octavia 1.4TSi? It won't be as quick, but will meet all your other criteria. Can always do a remap to give it that much more power!

If nothing else works out, then the best bet is to retain the car and consider a remap + some other upgrades to give it a new lease of life.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 15:48   #24
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th February 2018 at 16:25. Reason: See note in the post. Thanks
Swapnil4585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 16:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Related Thread
You love your car and it isn't giving you any trouble. Why sell it then? Use it for some more time. Since it's 7 years old, you are practically using it for free now as it's already depreciated (especially the case as its a Fiat petrol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Why upgrade now? Just for change? My suggestion would be to keep the car for another 50K as the current 50K is as good as new car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _raviShankar_ View Post
Very similar situation which i am in, but my Tjet is just 5 years old now. Have convinced myself to give her an upgrade with a remap and enjoy for a few more years. I suggest you keep the car for 2-3 years more and then think about an upgrade. Makes sense financially as well as hoping we will have more products like the TJet available for choice down the lane.
Thanks a lot everyone!! This is why Team-BHP rocks!!!

Absolutely genuine advice with an attitude to help the brethren. I have decided to wait and enjoy the T-Jet for a few more years and maybe another 40-50K KM. This will also give some time to the market to evolve and maybe we will have better options n some time. Right now, I don't there is any good upgrade choice and all the options seem like a compromise.

Thanks again !!!
mathuranuj is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 17:16   #26
BHPian

Nice thread and can relate to you completely! I own 2010 make Linea TJet and have the exact same dilemma on and off when I see newer cars on road. However, each time I try to think of an alternative nothing really comes to mind. Sure, several cars have come but most have nothing new to add except a slew of accessories and features - some of which I do admit I would love to have on my car but can live without.

But each time I get my car cleaned and take her out for a drive, I realize why I bought a T-Jet in the first place. Close to 8 years down the line, the car still shines both literally and figuratively. It is a joy to drive and floor that accelerator. I have made it a point to maintain her, so the interior don't feel a day old. Add to that a dismal resale value, means my car is staying firmly in my garage for a long time to come!!
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 17:36   #27
BHPian

@pgnarain and @mathuranuj
The closest you can get in the market today is VW Vento TSI.
You may not get your 123 horses (20 minus) but the horses are engaged exactly where you want them to be. The mid range and the high range have the best punch.
For the heck of it go with DSG. No other car even in 20-25L range will give you the sheer driving pleasure.
in terms of build quality, driving pleasure and features, it will be a very good upgrade.
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2018, 18:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I have an almost 7 years old Linea T-Jet with 50K on the ODO. I love the car and have no issues with it. However, it is getting old, in terms of number years.
Interesting question, I myself have a Tjet also clocked 50k on the odo but replacing her with something else has not crossed my mind as she still makes me smile each time I put the foot down.

But I guess the only decent upgrade that I could suggest would be an Octi VRS or is the Civic worth waiting for?

If I could make a suggestion, stick with the Tjet I best it still has loads in store to keep surprising you.
sajands is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 10:15   #29
BHPian

From one T-Jet owner to another:

I think, you will need to go with a BMW to really feel an "upgrade." Otherwise just stick with the T-Jet. Yes, it is dated and all, but it is a real pleasure to drive.

On the other hand, there are other fun-to-drive cars too. I got a Thar when the new version was released and I can say it is really pleasurable to drive around the city and highways too! Diesel; I know, but pleasure is pleasure buddy.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 11:25   #30
BHPian

I have been in the same dilemma for some time. I am planning to upgrade to a safe and fun to drive automatic because of my health issues but unless I spend almost thrice of what I had spent to purchase the Linea Tjet, I am nowhere close to a worthy upgrade. Everything else seems like a compromise. It has done only 52,000 KMs in 6 years and I personally find the pre-GC increase models to be better in terms of ride and handling. Moreover, I test drove the new Linea Tjet and it doesn't have the same power delivery that my 2011 model has. I am addicted to the turbo-kick

I did face the first failure in six years, last week. The alternator sign had come up on the instrument cluster, apart from that it is still a delightful car to own and drive.

How I wish there was an automatic variant of the Linea Tjet. Anyway, following this discussion to check if a good option is mentioned.
Biraj is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote