Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2018, 11:55   #31
BHPian

Re: Worthy upgrade for the Linea T-Jet?

We are in the same boat, bro!!
After spending many sleepless nights (& Days) researching for an upgrade. I have finally given up and decided to wait for a worthy successor.

Octavia 1.8 looks like a good one, but am scared about the DSG and the Service cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
I have been in the same dilemma for some time. I am planning to upgrade to a safe and fun to drive automatic because of my health issues but unless I spend almost thrice of what I had spent to purchase the Linea Tjet, I am nowhere close to a worthy upgrade. Everything else seems like a compromise. It has done only 52,000 KMs in 6 years and I personally find the pre-GC increase models to be better in terms of ride and handling. Moreover, I test drove the new Linea Tjet and it doesn't have the same power delivery that my 2011 model has. I am addicted to the turbo-kick

I did face the first failure in six years, last week. The alternator sign had come up on the instrument cluster, apart from that it is still a delightful car to own and drive.

How I wish there was an automatic variant of the Linea Tjet. Anyway, following this discussion to check if a good option is mentioned.
mathuranuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 18:30   #32
BHPian

Don't think there are any cars that meet the requirements you've cited. I've been looking out for a while as well and each time, I come to the conclusion that "there's just no value in the D-Segment sedan market". The cars are either boring (Altis), unappealing (Elantra) or unreliable on service (Octavia). The Octavia comes closest mind, and it's been a wrenching decision to turn away from it. That said, just can't get myself to buy it.

The choices seem pretty bland even in terms of upcoming launches - the Civic and Yaris look too poor as choices, to be honest. Makes me wonder why carmarkers are so completely ignoring this segment. Does the average Indian just not give two hoots about quality and power of the engine in this range? I can't get my head around it. I mean, the Altis carries the same diesel mill as the Etios and the petrol unit is horribly under-powered. The Civic will have the same diesel mill as the Amaze and the petrol unit again looks weak (comparing with Octavia in particular). Weird, really. Guess it explains the large number of SUVs - though how the cause-and-effect relationship works is something I don't know.
imidnightmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 19:02   #33
BHPian

Hi, Is there any car that comes close to Fiat Linea T-Jet in the current lot (costing around 10 Lakhs)? Apparently with Fiat India discontinuing it's products here, which is the next best option for a driver's car (petrol) in it's segment?
Old 23rd December 2018, 23:27   #34
BHPian

Within the 10 lakhs bracket, the new ford aspire will be the closest to it but it is a segment below. If you can stretch a little, the City i-Vtech ( if you want a manual) or Vento TSI ( if you want an automatic) be the alternatives.

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 23:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Hi, Is there any car that comes close to Fiat Linea T-Jet in the current lot (costing around 10 Lakhs)? Apparently with Fiat India discontinuing it's products here, which is the next best option for a driver's car (petrol) in it's segment?
New: Not much choice keeping in mind the Linea's accomplished dynamic abilities. The VW Vento TSi, priced slightly higher, has good performance levels, but falls short on the handling front.
The Tigor JTP is a very talented vehicle, but it is a segment down and may not appeal to you thus.
Used: An used Octavia VRs seems to be a good option. Even a pre-owned Laura TSi can be a good option.
One more option is the old Mercedes C Class Kompressor models, ( these are the 2003-04 twin headlight C-class's) which can be bought for pretty low prices nowadays. It's nice rear-wheel drive fun!
arjab is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 10:02   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
Within the 10 lakhs bracket, the new ford aspire will be the closest to it but it is a segment below. If you can stretch a little, the City i-Vtech ( if you want a manual) or Vento TSI ( if you want an automatic) be the alternatives
I don't think any of the 3 are even a patch on the Linea T-Jet, Fiat has the ride/handling magic set spot on.. no one can do it better. The Ford Aspire rides like a hatchback, not very comfy, the Vento rides like a stereotype German car.. zero comfort on bad roads/ruts/potholes at speeds <60, the City crashes into potholes and cannot even compare to the Linea.

The Fiat cars spoil you, comfort wise.. take them into deep potholes, rough patches and abraded roads and all you hear is a very muted *dug dug dug* and you're out of them. The City and Vento? *BHADAAMMM*
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 10:08   #37
BHPian

A proper upgrade for the t-jet would have been the Octavia 1.8 tsi if it was available in manual guise with 320 NM of torque! Skoda gets this combo only in Superb but!
As others also said, a pre-owned Laura TSI is also a good option.
Old 27th May 2019, 13:17   #38
BHPian

Linea T-Jet Still Makes Sense?

Hi all,

What I'm going to write below may sound a bit foolish to most. But that's precisely why I'm writing this, for, I'm confused.

I want to buy a Linea 125S. Yes, the one that's going to go out of production anytime from now. Well, the straight answer is a big NO. I know.

While no good friend of mine would encourage me and I wouldn't encourage a friend to buy one at the moment, I just want to explore this option by analysing step by step. For that I'm dividing this into multiple sections.

1. What good do I see in this car? (In that order)
- Outstanding ride and decent handling in spite of the raised ground clearance.
- Sturdily built. Well, I'm informed about the fact that heavier doesn't essentially mean safer and all that, but I feel sturdiness is important. If I'm not wrong, the reason why the Fiat twins lost their five star safety rating is mostly because of the new advanced electronic aids in safety rather than other parameters related to build and platform. Please correct me here.
- I love the steering feel, precision. The auto centre action is speed sensitive and haven't experienced a better one.
- Decent turbo petrol engine that produces about 123PS.
- Decent set of features that includes auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers, cruise control, leather seats, etc.
- On road price of 11 lakhs or so without discount.
- Decent rear seat space and boot.
- I own a nine year old Punto and my personal experience with Fiat after sales support and warranty replacements is much more than satisfactory.
- Now this car comes with a lot of negatives as well. Old age infotainment system that do not support Apple/Android - I can live with that. Ergonomics: over the years I've become used to it and it's no longer an issue. Long journeys are comfortable. And I find Linea's ergonomics better than that of the Punto.

2. My priorities (Mostly in that order):
a. Ride, handling balance and braking
b. Sturdy build quality
c. Refined turbo petrol
d. Decent space for 5 people
e. About 12 lakhs on road
f. Hatchback or Sedan - don't like the high seating of SUV type cars (can compromise if the above conditions are met)
g. Prefer manual transmission over automatics
h. Features like cruise control, Climate Control, infotainment system with Android Auto / Apple CarPlay, Leather seats. all wheel disk brakes, etc

3. Cars that satisfy a mix of above conditions (As far as I know, in no particular order):
a. Ford Figo / Aspire (Blu variants)
b. Tata Zest 1.2 Revotron
c. Ecosport Diesel or Petrol
d. Verna SX VTVT
e. Polo TSI
f. Tiago / Tigor JTP
g. Wait for Tata Altroz
h. Nexon Diesel XZ+
i. XUV3OO W8

I am not listing the individual comparisons, but I see a lot of value in 125S and still see that it makes a lot of sense. Except that the car may go out of production anytime soon.

How likely is that the Linea parts availability and service becomes a headache in the next 10 years? Since Jeep may still be alive for these years? Also, sites like 99rpm still has Palio spares I think.

It is quite probable that I am biased since I own a car from the same brand and have been happy overall. If that is the case, please help me come out of it.

Mods, please move this to a more appropriate thread like "What Car?", if required.
devansn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 19:00   #39
BHPian

Re: Linea T-Jet Still Makes Sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
It is quite probable that I am biased since I own a car from the same brand and have been happy overall. If that is the case, please help me come out of it.
Hi Devan,

Having owned a Linea T-jet for 7.5 years, I can endorse it as a product. It meets almost all the requirements you have mentioned, yet I will recommend that you think it through. There's no fault in the product but maintaining the T-jet isn't as easy as a regular Punto or Linea MJD. The spare parts availability is quite poor with most dealers thus the downtime is higher. If something like the compressor or alternator fails then you might be staring at 2-3 weeks (optimistic) downtime. Moreover, the parts are much more expensive than diesel counterparts.

Another major challenge is that very few Fiat mechanics are trained on the Tjet. If there's a complex fault or error, their diagnostic abilities get exposed. Such scenarios will require a lot of time and patience. I would suggest that you ask Tjet owners in or around your city about their experience.

Ergonomics - Linea is much better than Punto in terms of comfort over a long drive. Since I own both the Punto MJD and Linea Tjet, I have observed that Linea's under-thigh support is better and the seats too are more comfortable. I generally get knee pain after driving the Punto for long.

The rear seat has limited head and legroom but is quite comfortable because of the flat ride thus, one doesn't feel nauseous or uncomfortable. Just consider the height of your family members. If they are more than 5'7" then it won't be very comfortable. I haven't driven the raised Linea on highways so not sure how much body roll or bounciness it causes. Mine is the pre-GC increase model so the ride quality is excellent.

As they say, Fiats are mostly heart decisions so all this logic might not really make much difference if you have made your mind. If you love the car, buy it. Just be prepared for the extra care and time it will require. The way the automobile industry is moving, we might not get to own such beautiful and capable cars in future. I will any day want a Linea Tjet over some iPad on wheels.
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2019, 12:46   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
I have an almost 7 years old Linea T-Jet with 50K on the ODO. I love the car and have no issues with it. However, it is getting old, in terms of number years. So, am in a dilemma about which I would like to get an opinion from you guys.
I would recommend you to keep the car and do some upgrades as it is just 50k kms old. Trust me the process is fun and the end result is more satisfying than buying a new ride

You mentioned the car should be easy to maintain, a petrol sedan and you drive mostly in the city - if that is the case a smaller sedan like Figo Aspire 1.5 petrol - available in Titanium trim would make sense (Note it is not available in manual).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks