Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2018, 15:18   #1
BHPian

Is downgrading to a lower segment an option for my next car?

Little Background
Team-bhp and another website Indian Autos Blog played a crucial role when I bought my Mahindra Bolero 2wd SLX in January 2012. It was a tight buy but somehow I managed to pull it off. The experience since has been a mix of good and average. Being an ancient car and that too from the house of Mahindra has meant that the car goes to service center once in every two months for one reason or the other. However, the joy of driving a Bolero is something that has always outweighed it flaws and inherent troubles it brings for her owner.

During the last 6 years of ownership I have driven almost 1 lac kilometers and as is the case with other Mahindras, Bolero's engine has performed really well. And, that is all Everything else has gone haywire at one point of time or the other. Picture this, front passenger seat belt getting struck (had to replace it), more recently driver side power window refusing to roll up, hand brake handle getting loose in summers, among a lot others.

Have to get the power window repaired yet, however, a few days back when the water pump busted without warning, I had enough. I thought that this relationship isn't working and it is better to move on.

Now, if not have been dragged to this point, I would have been driving Bolero for another may be 2 lac kilometers. But things do not always go the way we plan them.

The Situation as of Now
I will have to buy a new car BUT I already have some major liabilities which take a significant chunk of our household income, typical of middle class.

The Dilemma
When discussed with better half, she believes upgrade is the only solution. As typical of any woman in Indian household, she has solution for husband's every financially critical solution. It sounds good but does not make sense to me. It is going to disturb our future plans.

Now what I am thinking is that why not sell off Bolero and buy a better car from a segment lower with the money earned. No loan, no EMI. My initial research shows that the Bolero could fetch anywhere around 4.5 lacs. Adding almost 50K to it, should I go for petrol Tiago XZ? with all the bells and whistles. I am seriously not interested in taking any more loans or put money from my pocket. I am kind of looking for exchanging the Bolero for a better car.

I and wife went this weekend to see the car in person and coming from Bolero, the interiors as well as exterior impressed us a lot. I took the test drive of manual petrol variant and came impressed with the car's mannerism. As is typical of 3 cylinder, at idle, it felt lumpy otherwise everything seemed to be good if not excellent.

Why Tiago?
  • Because of its value for money proposition
  • Nano XTA is better half's daily drive and has almost no issues, rattles, etc. even after almost 3 years and 25K kilometers of ownership. Tata has gone up the quality ladder.
  • Extended warranty and AMC would mean complete peace of mind for next 4 years
  • Presumed low and less (frequent) maintenance – meaning I can keep her for longer?
  • Creature comforts and ride quality will be a big plus

Had you been in a similar situation what you would have done?
What’s your take on the situation?

Note: Moderators, feel free to merge if there's an existing thread.
jeepster_chd is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 15:30   #2
BANNED

re: Is downgrading to a lower segment an option for my next car?

I think doing this is definitely possible and makes sense if the new car suits you well enough. It is a depreciating asset after all and if you can save money by buying the car that's adequate for you, the saved money is better spent on some other venture especially if one has a business.

Btw, I have had a similar experience with downgrading, though not for reason you have described. Here's a link to it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...downgrade.html
agambhandari is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 15:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

What exactly would be your use? I would say, choose a car that suits your use case than the other way around.

Used cars from segments above are a good option given your budget.

I'll take my case, I needed a comfort car for highway runs, at a budget of 5-6 L, since I didn't want to go for loans. Saw many City, few Verna and finally ended up with a 2010 Corolla AT.

Interestingly I paid the same amount I paid for a new i10 Mangna in 2010. It was the horrendous experience on highway runs on the i10 that made me go for a used higher segment car than a new lower segment car.

Last edited by narayans80 : 13th March 2018 at 16:04. Reason: Meant 'segments above'
narayans80 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 15:36   #4
BHPian

The Tiago is probably the best car in India in terms of VFM, so you can't be wrong. Please take a test-drive of the diesel Tiago, which is much, much better than the petrol version.
AutoSphere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 15:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

Well, nothing to fret. Enjoy things as they are, especially those, which are beyond our control. And it can happen with anyone.

Suppose if I have to buy a car now as a replacement for my 4WD S10 and I don't have 15 big ones or more to plonk and I can buy something for 10 or even 5, I will first prioritize my needs as per my budget and then think of probable contenders.

I will not suggest to get a Tata petrol [or a Mahindra or a Ford/VW for that matter]. The FE figures will be abysmal and it will be a depreciation disaster.

What you can do, you can get yourself a good used sedan or a fully loaded hatch in the pre-owned market. At least, I would go the pre-owned route if I were in your shoes.

If I have to buy a new car, I will take a loan from a nationalized bank for 7 years as interest rates are low as is the EMI and then pay it. I still won't go overboard and will stick with something under <8L which will be reliable and be a beater car when the time comes to upgrade.
Sheel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 15:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, it all boils down to your requirements.
If you do not need a car like the Bolero, then you can consider a smaller car (lesser space and practicality) - and the Tiago is truly a fantastic car! While it will have niggles undoubtedly, tata has really come a long way compared to their earlier products.

At the same time, I would recommend looking for a sparingly used bigger hatch / sedan as well that will serve you equally reliably. Hyundai i20, Ford Figo / Aspire, etc. are some good options to look at depending on your requirements. One good option may be the Etios / Liva D pre-owned - a car that is built well, has good space and comfort, and stellar reliability. It doesn't look great, nor does it feel great - but once you get past that, it's a brilliant car!

Last edited by lamborghini : 13th March 2018 at 15:40.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 16:06   #7
Team-BHP Support

Considering budget is your constraint since you don't want to pile up liability, look for a car that serves every purpose that the Bolero does. Or gives you more in terms of safety, reliability and convenience.

You clearly bought a Bolero for a reason; the car you buy next should at least fit those. If you are open for pre-owned cars, it allows you greater flexibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
What exactly would be your use? I would say, choose a car that suits your use case than the other way around.
Very well put.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 16:14   #8
Team-BHP Support

I wonder if a shift from Bolero to Tiago can be called a downgrade. You are basically selling a niche utility vehicle and buying a mainstream hatchback.
SmartCat is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 16:32   #9
BHPian

Switching to a Tiago from a Bolero cannot really be called as a downgrade. You are actually upgrading to a much safer, feature loaded and better riding car.

The only thing you will miss in the Tiago Revotron is the Diesel torque and the commanding driving position of the Bolero. In all other aspects, this really is an upgrade.

We downgraded from a CRV to a Honda City last year and while we do miss certain things that the CRV offered, the City does not really feel like a complete downgrade. Practically, downgrading to the City made sense.

Like many others, I suggest that you also look at certain pre-owned cars. A used Ecosport TDCI, a Corolla or a Honda City would be good options.

Last edited by Prathiiik : 13th March 2018 at 16:49.
Prathiiik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 16:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I wonder if a shift from Bolero to Tiago can be called a downgrade. You are basically selling a niche utility vehicle and buying a mainstream hatchback.
I totally agree.
It makes perfect sense to think through real-world eye and go with what makes practical sense. I would have done something similar for sure. Tiago for sure is a good pick.

Looking back, I bought a used Wagon R [1.1 L 16 v] a year ago though I had some serious thoughts about getting a new Baleno. Since car is going to be significantly used only when I visit India for my vacations, it made real world/financial sense not to invest on a new car.

Enjoy your new car.
Which ever one you buy, it is going to be much more technologically advanced and better refined than what you currently drive.
dileepcm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 16:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well, choose a car which fits your needs and not based on whether the car qualifies to be an upgrade or downgrade.

The concept of upgrade or downgrade is basically nothing but an outcome of pressures of living in a modern society. It is a basic human tendency to be seen as "moving up the ladder" as against be seen someone who has compromised by downgrading or settling for a cheaper product than his current possession.

If the requirements that you considered while buying the Bolero don't hold any good now and the Tiago can serve you equally well with your current set of requirements, go ahead and why to even bother with what is an upgrade or downgrade.

Let me give you an example. I personally laterally moved from a Xcent to a Tigor, whereas both can be seen as cars belonging to same segment. Even Tigor is slightly lesser spacious than the Xcent so it can be also considered somewhat an downgrade. But in reality, the Tigor fits my requirements and use cases perfectly so why should i go for something that will burn a bigger hole in my pocket, just to please the society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

I will not suggest to get a Tata petrol [or a Mahindra or a Ford/VW for that matter]. The FE figures will be abysmal and it will be a depreciation disaster.
At the risk of being labelled a TATA Fanboy, i would politely disagree with your comment regarding TATA Petrols. Speaking from my own personal experience, the Revetron 1.2 Ltr engine has been consistently giving me FE in the range of 12-14 kmpl in city traffic, that too being an AMT gearbox. New age TATA petrol cars have come a long way since the days of Indica and its time to let go of our apprehensions.
DCEite is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 16:47   #12
BHPian

I think the upgrade/downgrade can be looked at from multiple dimensions. If you were to compare the features and the safety elements in Tiago vs. Bolero, I would tag it as an upgrade. There tends to be a definition driven almost universally by size of the vehicle which has come to define the segments. I do know that such downgrades will start to make sense as I get into retirement mode but will continue to drive. I surely will not look to upgrade but ensure I retain the minimum level of creature comforts and safety.

From a fiscal prudence, I would absolutely avoid taking on greater loan servicing liabilities if the stress is visible & material to you. There is a difference between what you can buy vs. what you can afford. We often mistake the former for the latter. Nothing against car loans but not recommended if it does not add to your fiscal well being.
Hells Bells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 16:51   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster_chd View Post
I thought that this relationship isn't working and it is better to move on.
Upgrade or downgrade doesn't matter - what does is that you are happy with the replacement. If you like the Tiago, by all means go for it. In many ways, it'll be an upgrade to the antique Bolero. In a few ways, it'll be behind. Just 50k is nothing for a more modern car.

I don't know your usage pattern, but I hope it doesn't demand a tough UV. Yeah, the Bolero has niggles (as is the case with most Mahindras), but it's usually the smaller stuff that keeps breaking. If you still like the Bolero, I would suggest holding onto it for another couple of years - Related Thread. She easily has another 75k - 100k kms of healthy life left (niggles aside). On the other hand, if you are absolutely keen on a change to a contemporary car, go for the Tiago.

5 lakhs can also get you a lot of good cars in the used market. Be sure to consider those as well. Example, this neat Jazz in your area.

Last edited by GTO : 13th March 2018 at 16:55.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 16:55   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
At the risk of being labelled a TATA Fanboy, i would politely disagree with your comment regarding TATA Petrols. Speaking from my own personal experience, the Revetron 1.2 Ltr engine has been consistently giving me FE in the range of 12-14 kmpl in city traffic, that too being an AMT gearbox.
You can't really expect Jap level of FE from a petrol engine from a non-Jap car. Be it any manufacturer and I had mentioned that I am not saying specifically about a Tata car.
I am sure you are having a good FE but I had quizzed our fellow BHPians about it a while ago and the response is summarized below. I know your personal experience differs and this is what I wanted to say.

Quote:
You or anyone else can suggest some FE figures of the petrol variant? strictly for city commutes for a MT [am unsure if AMT/CVT is available & neither am I interested]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Many Owners have reported FE of 15-16 in City & Around 22-23 kmpl on Highways. To extract this kind of average, many have used ECO Mode by default. I was kind of surprised by the numbers.

Point to note is that, in ECO Mode, just as name suggests the car tries to be as economical as possible, as a result, the responsiveness drops a bit & also the cooling is slightly less.

Also the difference between actual figures & one shown on MID is around 2.5 kmpl. (MID Optimistic). And the numbers reported by other owners are from MID.

I have Diesel Tiago & I get about 14.5 kmpl (Tankful Method) in City. My average is less since my traffic conditions don't permit me to use higher gears (4/5), 3rd gear is the max I can drive on due to traffic.

If you are interested in Tiago, go for AMT just because of convenience over Manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhavgpai View Post
I have a petrol XZ. And I can agree the MID mileage is very optimistic. My commute is in the Whitefield area in Bangalore through bumper to bumper traffic. In tankful method, I am now getting ~11.5 kmpl. AC always On and Never having used ECO mode.

On the highway I tested for a 560 km journey, I was able to get 20.6 kmpl. At consistent 90 - 100 kmph top speed. Again tankful method and occasional use of ECO mode when I had to follow some trucks or slow(er) traffic. AC Always ON.

The Instant FE Indicator on the petrol shows maximum FE at 80-85kmph on 5th gear. So, I guess 20.6 can be bettered on the highway.

My ODO stands just above 7000.
Quote:
In bumper to bumper traffic, what is the FE of a petrol Tiago with 100% AC? Or in normal city traffic with stop and go and at places, where you usually do not go above 3rd gear.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
In my AMT I'm getting 10kmpl. So you can expect 12-14kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
In Bangalore city traffic with its endless traffic jams, a petrol Tiago will do about 10 - 11 km/l. In less congested conditions, you could expect 12 - 13 km/l.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 17:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Used cars from segments above are a good option given your budget
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't know your usage pattern, but I hope it doesn't demand a tough UV. Yeah, the Bolero has niggles (as is the case with most Mahindras), but it's usually the smaller stuff that keeps breaking. If you still like the Bolero, I would suggest holding onto it for another couple of years - Related Thread. She easily has another 75k - 100k kms of healthy life left (niggles aside). On the other hand, if you are absolutely keen on a change to a contemporary car, go for the Tiago.

5 lakhs can also get you a lot of good cars in the used market. Be sure to consider those as well. Example, this neat Jazz in your area.
My usage is mostly on city roads and it is only occasionally that I drive on rough roads. So tough UV is not a necessity. In fact, I could have always bought a car but you known some decisions are taken from the heart. And Bolero is one of those. She is wonderful, the moment I crank her I have a big grin on my face

You are right when you say it has life left but what I fear is that it is loosing value fast and won't be worth much a year or so from now.

Yes! Used cars are an option but somehow I am not able to convince myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The concept of upgrade or downgrade is basically nothing but an outcome of pressures of living in a modern society. It is a basic human tendency to be seen as "moving up the ladder" as against be seen someone who has compromised by downgrading or settling for a cheaper product than his current possession.
I agree.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks