Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2018, 19:08   #16
BHPian

re: My <10 lakh ex-showroom new car conundrum

Thanks All

My simple reasoning on petrol vs diesel :

Diesel avg mileage = 16, A/T Mileage = 13.
Petrol avg mileage = 12 (Non Maruti), A/T Mileage = 10.

With an avg 1400 Kms running, Per month fuel cost

Diesel MT @ 70 Per Litre : 6125, Diesel AT : 7538,

Petrol MT @ 80 Per Litle : 9,333, Petrol AT : 11,200.

So trying for diesel as I wont be worried for Petrol incase my running goes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I suggest you to go for an AT/AMT option;

Honda Jazz V CVT - Petrol ~ 10L OTR
Nexon XZ+ AMT ~ 11.4L OTR for Petrol and 12.5 for diesel
Toyota Yaris J CVT - Petrol ~ 12L OTR
Jazz and Yaris are Petrol Automatics and that makes me nervous on petrol bills..
Nexon sounds like a sane option, but I actually do not like the design at all (No offence to existing owners), but thats an overgrown celerio with the curvy front grill and a turn off for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
The only car which has the (proper)Automatic+Diesel combo in your budget is the Amaze. If you are willing to sacrifice on the Automatic aspect, then do consider the Ameo and the Aspire which offer the best diesel engines in the segment. The Ameo does have a DSG+Diesel combo which is actually the best engine+drivetrain combo which you can get, though it might pip your budget by a bit. If a still bigger car is required, then do check out the Ecosport Trend+. It does feel like a million rupee car and the punchy diesel will keep you happy as well.

The Creta E+ while being a segment higher, will miss out on a lot of essentials plus it has a small 1.4 engine for its size. In that case, you'd rather stick with the Ciaz Delta.
Amaze was my top contender due to CVT Diesel combo and my budget, but it looked like a toy car as I had just test driven creta E+

I considered the Ameo due to the Diesel + DSG Combo, but I cringed at the prospect of dealing with over priced parts, expensive service, longevity, bland design + a car which only sells 1000 units a month can be discontinued. Burnt my hands once with Beat (D) which Chevrolet jumping ship :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Consider Hyundai i20 Active. Rear seat space - i20:Creta wheelbase 2570:2590 mm, Boot Space- 285:402 litres. Looks - subjective, Ground Clearance to handle bad roads - both 190 mm.
Interior / exterior / build quality - Check.

You can have top end diesel with all the bells and whistles under 10 L ex-showroom.
Sounds like a good option.. Let me run it through my folks to see if it passes the 'Badi Gaadi' test.. I got flak for my first choice of Beat Diesel due to its puny boot size. Dont want to repeat it. Also bells and whistles are not so important to me as the car itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post

At some point you will have to compromise:

Manual: Creta has won you over, and rightly so! But also see the fun to drive Vento/Rapid
Compromise it is.. I was struck by how little a million rupees which was aspirational growing up buys these days :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Maruti Ciaz, Maruti Scross, Maruti Ertiga, Toyota Etios are the practical choices that suit your requirements. Tested and proven mechanics with excellent service support. I'd recommend you wait for the next generation ertiga which is likely to be launched later this year. Ciaz and Ertiga provide good rear seat comfort and ergonomics of getting in and out respectively.
Looked at Ciaz and found it to be bland in comparison to its Hyundai counterparts. Skipping Etios as the build quality is really tinny. S-Cross sounds like a good choice too, but not sure what it adds over the Creta 1.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
If you could extend your budget a bit, the Verna diesel auto would fit the bill quite well.
Looked at Verna EX AT CRDI.. at 14.5 the car didn't feel as spacious and as special..

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
Amaze is the top choice. It fulfils all your requirements from 1 to 8. I would not suggest that you go for manual transmission car. Your city driving is quite heavy, and you might start regretting your choice soon. At that time comfort of knee, would be more important than having a higher segment car. And zig zagging out of traffic and taking narrow lanes is best accomplished in a compacter car.
Agree. The potential knee problems with creta manual is what is preventing me from booking it already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
S-Cross seems to be the perfect fit for your requirements. The Zeta variant is just a shade under 10Lakhs and comes with cuise control too. The plastic quality is also better than Brezza. It has a manual transmission though.
As a stand alone it is quite appealing but not sure what it adds over the Creta..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Out of all the cars that you mentioned (considered+discarded), the Nexon AMT is the most refined of the lot (barring the Creta). The Amaze might be good to look at, but even in the video reviews the interior noise is quite loud.

If you are open to Petrols, the Tigor AMT is a much cheaper and comfortable option. Petrol and Diesel prices are reaching parity in any case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Tata Nexon XM 1.5 diesel will be the best bang for your buck IMO. It's decently powerful and torquey, good space, comfortable ride quality and gives a big car feel while not being as cumbersome as a ladder on frame SUV in traffic. Plus it will be more feature loaded than the Creta E+.
Thanks. Somehow I cant get myself to consider the Nexon.. Will force myself go and test drive and see if it changes my perceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
To be frank you are expecting a bit too much - Less than 10 Lacs ex showroom + Diesel + AT .

If you are willing to switch to petrol - (i think with your running petrol might fit in ) then you might be able to some options in your budget.

P.S. The Creta Diesel clutch is quite light and i think it shoud not worry your left leg too much. I raised this point as you seemed bit inclined towards the Creta E Diesel MT.
Thanks. It felt the same during my Test Drive as well. Clutch was light but there was still some minor inconvenience which may have been due to my driving position.
Old 1st June 2018, 19:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
TUV 300 AMT : Interior quality average. Concerns on how car will age in the long term.
Actually the TUV ought to age the least. It may be ugly and undesirable but the sheer simplicity of it and the fact that it comes with a ladder frame chassis means it truly is "tough".

Have you considered the Honda BR-V and Ford models like the Ecosport and Figo?
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 19:42   #18
BHPian

If you have to go with manual, go with S-Cross. It would give you the big car feeling very well. Reqarding your doubts about Creta E+ and S-Cross

Quote:
As a stand alone it is quite appealing but not sure what it adds over the Creta..
What S-Cross adds over Creta, comparing the similarly priced Zeta 1.3 and Creta 1.4, after a simple brochure check for important features, not counting vanity features.
  1. Reverse Parking Sensor
  2. Reverse Camera
  3. Touchscreen audio System with Android Auto and Apple Carplay
  4. Steering mounted controls
  5. Rear wipers
  6. Fog lamps
  7. Rear Disc Brakes
  8. Alloy Wheels
  9. Turn Indicators on ORVM
  10. Roof Rails
  11. Push Button Start
  12. Cruise Control
  13. Electrically adjustable and foldable ORVM
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 20:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks All

My simple reasoning on petrol vs diesel :

Diesel avg mileage = 16, A/T Mileage = 13.
Petrol avg mileage = 12 (Non Maruti), A/T Mileage = 10.

With an avg 1400 Kms running, Per month fuel cost

Diesel MT @ 70 Per Litre : 6125, Diesel AT : 7538,

Petrol MT @ 80 Per Litle : 9,333, Petrol AT : 11,200.
Just to add one more dimension to this calculation:
Difference between fuel costs for (as per your calculations):
Petrol AT vs Diesel AT - 3.5k/month. Over 5 years - 2.1l at current prices.
Petrol AT vs Diesel MT (max difference case) - 5k/month. Over 5 years - 3l at current prices.

Over 5 years, 1l at 7% compounded quarterly becomes about 1.4l.

The biggest variable here is fuel prices over time. There has to be a plateau-ing at some point. But who can predict levels?
Others:
1. What will happen to diesel over time with regulations - will impact both running costs and resale.
2. How much your running will increase/decrease.
3. How much interest rates will rise/fall in our country.
Mu009 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 20:58   #20
BHPian

How about the Zest XTA?
Satisfies all your requirements except for cruise control.
Diesel - check
Automatic - check
Spacious - check
Good suspension to handle bad roads - check
Large boot - 390litres - check
Easy ingress for elders - check
Good ground clearance - check
Ex-showroom price - 8.93 lakhs in Bangalore - check
Tata motors is unlikely to exit indian market - check
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 21:03   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
If you are open to Petrols, the Tigor AMT is a much cheaper and comfortable option. Petrol and Diesel prices are reaching parity in any case.
Was thinking of picking up Nexon AMT diesel, but Tigor petrol AMT was good enough for my city commute, so picked it up instead, also at 13L, Nexon sounded bit expensive(Just the cost, not comparing with any other car).
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 21:32   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

My two bits, even if I am not an expert on cars in this segment:

1) Traffic gets worse every year, hence an AT makes immense sense. The way sales are moving, you will likely recover the incremental cost of an AT even when you sell after 5 years. AMTs are not really ATs -they are too unrefined in my view (albeit with limited experience).
2) Diesel has 3 advantages over petrol at this point in time: (a) lower price per liter; (b) better fuel efficiency; and (c) lower percentage depreciation over a 5 year period.
3) However, the way regulations are moving worldwide, it is highly likely that in the next 5 years, diesels will be outlawed in urban centres - if compulsory scrapping of diesels after 10years goes national, resale value after 5 years will plummet compared to petrols.
4) I don’t see any chance of a repeat of 2010-14 where diesel prices increased by less in percentage terms than petrol prices. The absolute difference may remain constant but percentage differences will fall

Given these factors, it is quite possible that two of the three factors contributing to the diesel advantage go away in the next 3-5years. Hence I would advice you to go for the best Petrol AT you can get.

Best wishes and keep us posted on what you decide.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 00:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Here's my take after having carefully looked over your requirements:

So, to put it in a nutshell:
If you can, stretch for the Diesel AT Creta.
If you can compromise on ride quality, Ecosport Petrol AT.
If you can compromise on rough road usage (or it isn't required that much), go for either the Aspire or Ciaz. The Aspire might be the better overall package, but if you find the Ciaz's performance adequate for your needs, the space and ride quality are really surprising.

Cheers!
Brilliant Analysis

Skipped Ecosport for the really bad ride quality. Experienced it first hand on a friends car as well.

Also need rough road usage as well as I need to visit my village (170 KMS one way twice a month)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Actually the TUV ought to age the least. It may be ugly and undesirable but the sheer simplicity of it and the fact that it comes with a ladder frame chassis means it truly is "tough".

Have you considered the Honda BR-V and Ford models like the Ecosport and Figo?
Considered the BR-V. Dont need the third row seats.

Quote:
If you have to go with manual, go with S-Cross. It would give you the big car feeling very well. Reqarding your doubts about Creta E+ and S-Cross
Thats a fairly big list. Will look into SCross as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
How about the Zest XTA?
Did consider the XTA on paper but old product and Tata service was the road block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
My two bits, even if I am not an expert on cars in this segment:

Given these factors, it is quite possible that two of the three factors contributing to the diesel advantage go away in the next 3-5years. Hence I would advice you to go for the best Petrol AT you can get.

Best wishes and keep us posted on what you decide.
Thanks. Above helps. Will widen my horizon and keep this thread posted.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd June 2018 at 12:33. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
Old 2nd June 2018, 02:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Also need rough road usage as well as I need to visit my village (170 KMS one way twice a month)
I'm not sure why are you getting so many Hatch back suggestions for your requirement. Looks like people are throwing everything at you in the given price bracket. Roads especially Bangalore and largely Karnataka are getting worse. You know about water logging as well. You need automatic too. Get a used awd duster. I understand you are financing but its worth paying little more interest to land up with a car which will suit your usage. Else, wait up gather more funds and pick up auto creta/xuv and the likes.
Old 2nd June 2018, 03:35   #25
BHPian

Looks like as many have already pointed out the one car that seems to tick most of your boxes seems to be Honda Amaze... And even then it falls short on the "big car" criteria. So, unless you are willing to increase your budget; don't really see any other reasonable choice.

I know you are not totally onboard with buying an Amaze and are probably wishing for the Creta (atleast that's what it seems like reading your posts), so let's see if I can maybe help you by pointing out some of the benefits of owning the Amaze.

Honda's really a no nonsense car. It gets the job done period. You won't look at it and go Wow!! Especially since I suspect you get that feeling from Creta. But Amaze offers great legroom especially in the rear and that is something your elders would appreciate a lot and cannot be discarded. Honda being a reliable brand does offer you some peace of mind and can be reasonably certain that it can be driven extensively without much hassle barring the usual wear and tear. Also, since it starts selling at a competitive pricing, you can probably get a lot for your money (read all the bells and whistles).
So basically as always, the choice is between your head and your heart - Your heart probably wants you to go for the Creta but I reckon the smart money is on Amaze, given your requirements.

Think of it like this - With the money that you save by buying a car within your budget, you can easily go on a couple of really nice holidays with the family. So, buy within your budget and don't over extend yourself and take the family for a fun filled vacation.
Palaver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 12:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please pour in your valuable thoughts
Being from Bangalore I totally understand the requirement for high GC. Hence I would suggest i20 Active diesel strongly. Its an almost complete car for the budget , only missing point being automatic transmission.

CRETA too would have the same engine , little more space but will loose out on quite a few features (most importantly safety features) and feel a tad bit underpowered due to more weight. Unless 5th passenger is a regular, I would suggest the Active. Happy shopping

Quote:
At the end of the day this is a hatch, which is of the same size as Amaze. Just the shape should not be a deciding factor. The utility it provides should be.
Well sadly that's not how the general market in our country thinks, else Dzire wouldn't have had such unbelievable numbers. The boot does make it a badi-gaadi for our market

Last edited by SoumenD : 2nd June 2018 at 13:17.
Old 2nd June 2018, 15:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Looked at Ciaz and found it to be bland in comparison to its Hyundai counterparts. Skipping Etios as the build quality is really tinny. S-Cross sounds like a good choice too, but not sure what it adds over the Creta 1.4.
Hi, I am in the same dilemma as you. Bought the Palio Stile Mutlijet in 2008 for OTR for 5.5. Been ten years and the car still rocks. But, my age more than my cars age has now brought me on the brink of change.

As you require 'Badi Gaadi', I need the same for a more practical reason. Married now, have a kid, I still live as a dependent with my parents, sister and her family live next door and my in-laws might move to Bangalore.

So, my issues are Petrol or diesel, 5 seater or 7, hatch or sedan or MPV/MUV.

Automatic vs manual is no issue for me, as my wifey/mom use Celerio AMT and I have learnt to live with the jerk master.

My brain is somehow stuck on the Ertiga current generation. The heart is still stuck with the Palio.

I was lucky enough to check out the new Ertiga on my visit to Indonesia last week. Somehow, not happy about the flimsy sheet metal thickness of the new one compared to the current Ertiga especially for someone coming from a Fiat.

If, you can live with a manual, to me the current Ertiga fits the bill perfectly for you too, with the Badi Gadi requirement purely from the practical point of view. Ground clearance is good enough for Bangalore and you still get the peace of mind of Maruti Support although by no means it's cheap compared to competition.(based on my personal comparison b/w Swift DDiS vs Palio Multijet)

Last edited by pareshraheja : 2nd June 2018 at 16:09. Reason: Spelling Correction
pareshraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 17:24   #28
BHPian

Hi,

After reading all the opinions and you also having considered lot of options, I would suggest you to take a car which has got excellent suspension, because the way poor urban planning is ruining the roads of Bangalore, Anekal and Sarjapur you will be ruing your decision of any car which has got poor suspension.

I live in Chennai and recently had visited Bangalore on a road trip and to my dismay and horror I saw horrible and terrible maintenance of ORR. The entire stretch from Old Madras road till KR Puram is badly laid, non-functional street lights, unnecessary speed breakers and what not! I own a Honda Jazz SV (MT) and I had very bad experience on the roads of Bangalore. So, IMHO please go for something which has got more GC and has also got wider wheels to soak in all the bizarre speed breakers of Bangalore.

Slightly off topic, I want to know from fellow Bangaloreans, why on earth there is speed breaker (without any reflector or paint on it) near flyovers and literally everywhere?
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
My brain is somehow stuck on the Ertiga current generation. The heart is still stuck with the Palio.

I was lucky enough to check out the new Ertiga on my visit to Indonesia last week. Somehow, not happy about the flimsy sheet metal thickness of the new one compared to the current Ertiga especially for someone coming from a Fiat.
There goes my hope for the New Ertiga, if its build quality is even worse than the current generation. I considered the Ertiga but the beige interiors felt cheap. I also dont like the current front facia of the Ertiga. But I may be expecting too much for my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
Hi,

After reading all the opinions and you also having considered lot of options, I would suggest you to take a car which has got excellent suspension, because the way poor urban planning is ruining the roads of Bangalore, Anekal and Sarjapur you will be ruing your decision of any car which has got poor suspension.

Slightly off topic, I want to know from fellow Bangaloreans, why on earth there is speed breaker (without any reflector or paint on it) near flyovers and literally everywhere?
Thanks. Completely agree. Bellandur - Sarjapur got a brand new 4 Lane road expansion / road laid about 5 Months back. Now itself the road has real bad potholes. Given elections are also over I am sure no body will care about this road for a lot more time.. Bottom line, In this country you are on your own as far as infrastructure is concerned despite astronomical taxes (VAT / Road Tax etc etc).

Speed breakers may be irritating but in our country will lakhs of people jostling for a few metres of the road and idiots with decently powered cars, they may be saving more lives than any other measure of the Government
Old 3rd June 2018, 12:07   #30
Team-BHP Support

Having driven the new Amaze extensively, I can vouch for its capabilities.

The diesel CVT is the one to go for. It's punchy engine will help cover ground effectively, and the gearbox is surprisingly responsive and great to use too!

It's spacious for a 4 seater and the boot is large enough for long weekends.

The stand out quality though, has to be the ride!

Get the Amaze CVT diesel. For 10 lakh give or take, it's not a compromise for you, and you will not regret it.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks