Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2018, 17:21   #46
BHPian

Re: My <10 lakh ex-showroom new car conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post

Others considered but discarded.

Nexon AMT : Not a fan of the looks. It is too curvy for my liking.

OK. Looks like I have to eat my own words. Took a test drive of the Nexon. blown away by the practicality on offer.

-> Brilliant Interior space. 5 Adults + 2 Kids on the test drive and not really cramped (Dont ask me how this happened ).

-> Good low end response in all three modes. Unlike Brezza, this engine is not a pain to drive, NVH is controlled as well.

-> Interior quality blew me away. Material quality may be on par or probably jut below Hyundai, but the way interiors has been laid out on the top variant, it probably belong a couple of segments higher.

-> Not really a fan of the tacky white belt line running around the car. So that limits my color range to Orange with Gray dual tone or white with gray dual tone. Leaning towards Orange + Gray dual tone.

-> Audio quality is simply
charanreddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 17:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
OK. Looks like I have to eat my own words. Took a test drive of the Nexon. blown away by the practicality on offer.

-> Brilliant Interior space. 5 Adults + 2 Kids on the test drive and not really cramped (Dont ask me how this happened ).

-> Good low end response in all three modes. Unlike Brezza, this engine is not a pain to drive, NVH is controlled as well.

-> Interior quality blew me away. Material quality may be on par or probably jut below Hyundai, but the way interiors has been laid out on the top variant, it probably belong a couple of segments higher.

-> Not really a fan of the tacky white belt line running around the car. So that limits my color range to Orange with Gray dual tone or white with gray dual tone. Leaning towards Orange + Gray dual tone.

-> Audio quality is simply
I am really glad you took a test drive of the Nexon despite your initial reluctance. To me, just a feel of the interiors made me feel it is at par with the compass 2wd. Vitara Brezza or the TUV are good products but feel outdated after the Nexon's arrival. I believe there should be a silver option instead of white for the run-around panels.

Anyone who drove my dad's Hexa felt the same way. It has the best AT in the segment and the ride comfort betters most SUV's priced (ex-showroom) at least 100% higher than the XE.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 9th June 2018 at 17:40.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2018, 17:41   #48
BHPian

Quote:
The Nexon is a very nice, all-round car. I don't like that white belt at the back too but don't let it restrict your colour choice. You can always get it wrapped to the colour of your choice.
Old 10th June 2018, 06:56   #49
BHPian

Well, if you are leaning towards Nexon, then this might help.

I came across this article on the net. Can't comment on the authenticity of it but it sure makes an interesting claim. Some guy who happens to be a doctor by profession bought Nexon a few months back and is claiming an average of 26 kmpl from his petrol SUV. He even goes on to list his driving practices that have helped him achieve this. Some of them are as follows:

STEP 1:

While picking up from speed 0, keep the car in city/sports mode and reach to the 6th gear as soon as possible. (Don’t exceed 2000 rpm in any gear).

STEP 2:

After reaching 70Km/h +, turn the ECO mode on and maintain the speed in between “ 73-77Km/h ” throughout your trip.

[I have checked the mileage for many different speeds and discovered that 73-77Km/h (6th gear & eco mode) is the most economical speed for my nexon petrol].

STEP 3:

While cruising, Keep obeserving the INST FE in your MID. It is directly related to the pressure applied on the lever pad by you. Try to apply minimum possible pressure to maintain the above speed. (Lesser the pressure-Higher the INST FE-Higher the Mileage.)
By practising, I’m able to maintain the INST FE to 9-10 points (Half+2~3 points), which is maximum possible INST FE to maintain the above speed.

Source: rushlane.com

Thought you might want to go through this article.

Last edited by Palaver : 10th June 2018 at 07:08.
Palaver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 12:14   #50
BHPian

Update : booked Tata nexon, XZA+ diesel auto, orange dual tone today. Will post details of discounts in I booked my car thread..
charanreddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 10:48   #51
BHPian

Congratulations Charanreddy.

We are in a similar dilemma except the budget is 10 lacs OTR. The purchase will replace my Dad's aging Honda City Zx. The requirements are simple - AT gearbox and good boot space. My Dad has checked out Honda Amaze, Jazz/ WRV, Baleno, and Grand i10 so far. He really liked the WRV over Jazz but it lacks an AT option. Amaze is a candidate though.
I advised him to visit Tata and although he is skeptical, he will make the trip today. I'm hoping Nexon leaves a good impression

Last edited by Nonstop-driver : 11th June 2018 at 10:53.
Old 11th June 2018, 11:38   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Congratulations Charanreddy.

We are in a similar dilemma except the budget is 10 lacs OTR. The purchase will replace my Dad's aging Honda City Zx. The requirements are simple - AT gearbox and good boot space.
For 10 lakh OTR in Noida, and coming from Honda City ZX, the Ciaz might be a good bet in NCR with good roads and lower taxes. The current model has heavy discounts, while a new one is expected in a couple of months time.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 15:18   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
I haven't driven the Amaze but if it has a soft suspension as you mentioned then you would get a lot of vertical movement every time you hit a pothole. That is the downside of having a soft suspension. Remember the old Hyundai Verna, it too had a soft suspension and a lot of people complained about how it dealt with potholes and Hyundai responded by making it a lot more rigid this time around with the new 2018 model.

Although to be honest I am a bit surprised to find out that Amaze has a soft suspension because the Honda City does not. And its odd that Honda would have two very different approaches to their main volume driving cars. Am I missing something here, I wonder?

As for below par performance, I guess Honda's AMT is not meant for the enthusiastic driver. Its more about cruising than chasing the redline.
The Amaze comes with a CVT gearbox - which also isn't meant for an enthusiastic driver. However, in the city the gearbox will be very smooth to use unlike the jerky AMT.

As for the soft suspension - Honda received a fair bit of flak for the ride quality in the city, hence maybe they took this route. However, having driven the Amaze in the city & a little on the highway, it gobbles up potholes very well. It is however a little bouncy when going over undulations in the road as like the older Verna (in fact, the Amaze being a lighter car may just be worse).
However, many users were ok dealing with the bounciness as they liked the cossetting city ride quality - which is why the car sold very well despite it's short comings.

Quote:
Would you suggest a petrol Amaze over the diesel, I can probably spend that much more on the fuel with money saved upfront. Is it under powered for normal city usage?
I genuinely found the petrol motor a little sluggish in the city - a point many members though similarly about, especially up until 2500 rpm. Unfortunately I drove a friends brand new Amaze Petrol so I couldn't see the performance over 2500rpm.
However, the light clutch + slick gearbox were a joy to use coming from diesels!
Old 14th June 2018, 01:33   #54
BHPian

My <10 lakh ex-showroom new car conundrum-whatsapp-image-20180613-7.02.41-pm.jpeg

My <10 lakh ex-showroom new car conundrum-whatsapp-image-20180613-7.02.42-pm-3.jpeg

My <10 lakh ex-showroom new car conundrum-whatsapp-image-20180613-7.02.42-pm-2.jpeg

My <10 lakh ex-showroom new car conundrum-whatsapp-image-20180613-7.02.42-pm.jpeg

Update : Car reached Stock yard.. Armed with Team BHP PDI list, I checked if all was in order.

May '18 Make from VIN and Goodyear Excellence tires from 04/18 onwards all around and 10 kms on the odo.. waiting for other processes to go through for a sunday delivery..
charanreddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2018, 07:03   #55
Senior - BHPian

Congrats charanreddy!
This color looks awesome. Spotted one yesterday @ Neotown Ecity, and it had the street presence like no other cars in the segment.

Last edited by Latheesh : 14th June 2018 at 07:04.
Old 14th May 2019, 17:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Amaze vs Aspire

Looking to upgrade from his Alto and Wagon R, a friend has zeroed in on the diesel versions of Honda Amaze Vx and Ford Aspire Titanium plus. While the former is retailing in the whereabouts of 10.5 lakhs, the latter is being offered at 9.90 lakhs - both on road prices.

I happened to test drive both the mini sedans and here are my impressions.
  1. Looking from outside, the Amaze feels like a million rupee car, the Aspire doesn't.
  2. In the interiors department, both Honda and Ford have cut a lot of corners and it is plainly visible even to a lay man. The Amaze has better contoured and upholstered seats while the Aspire appears to ace in the quality of plastics used. The beige world of both the cars is a dirt magnet and if you have toddlers at home, you are looking at a handsome interior cleaning bill every quarter.
  3. The Amaze seats its occupants in relative comfort. It feels and is airy. The front seats have headrests that are unlikely to be of use for persons less than six feet high and the rear ones have soft stubs that pretend to be headrests. The Aspire though is generous in this regard; with both the front and the back providing usable headrests. The back part of the front seats are scooped out in both the cars to liberate some extra inches of leg room.
  4. The Amaze could seat three medium built gents in the rear while the Aspire wouldn't - the transmission tunnel giving the mid passenger an unwelcome bulge.
  5. While the Amaze has isofix points at the rear, the Aspire doesn't. But the latter comes with six airbags to the former's two. So, its a hard choice.
  6. I have not driven very many diesels. But of the few I have, the Amaze appeared to deliver its power in a linear, non fussy and smooth manner. Instead of the rush to reach a suitable rpm, it runs along at a steady pace and takes you there. The Aspire is, in this case, a drama queen. It starts of slow and steady and after a certain threshold, there is this rush of power that would frighten the inexperienced drivers. The staid family man would love the former and the enthusiast would vote for the latter.
  7. The ride and handling of both the minions could be termed neutral. But there is this ever so slight sofaesque quality in the Amaze that manages to absorb the hits from the pot holes and rumblers wirh ease. Very few imperfections get transferred to the occupants. In the Aspire, however, the occupants can feel the surface on which they are travelling. The Aspire has clearly not carried on the poise that was remarkable with its presence in the old Fiesta and even the Classic.
  8. The quality of gearshifts in both the cars was average and couldn't be termed butter smooth. The easy and short travelling clutch made the Amaze experience slightly better here.
  9. The Amaze comes with under body protection for the engine but misses the hood insulation: the Aspire does the exact opposite.
  10. The boot space of Amaze is more usable than the Aspire's, not just because of its actual capacity but also because the latter has several sharp, unfinished edges that would harm a piece of soft luggage when pressed against them.

My friend is yet to take the final call on the buy.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 13:47   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Amaze vs Aspire

Looking to upgrade from his Alto and Wagon R, a friend has zeroed in on the diesel versions of Honda Amaze Vx and Ford Aspire Titanium plus. While the former is retailing in the whereabouts of 10.5 lakhs, the latter is being offered at 9.90 lakhs - both on road prices.

Quite a comparison there!

Having driven the new Amaze on the highway, and as a passenger in a Aspire on the expressway - I have to say that the Amaze ride quality in the city is definitely superior, but it is a bane on the highway with more bounciness.
The light weight doesn't inspire much confidence where there is crosswind, or you're being overtaken by a much larger car.

The rest though, I completely agree with you on though I feel the Aspire will age a little better than the Amaze where rattles may seep in early. Will probably take my friend's amaze for a drive and see how it's holding up given it's covered a fair amount of kms!

Last edited by lamborghini : 16th May 2019 at 13:49.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 17:00   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Amaze vs Aspire

I can give you some feedback on Diesel CVT Amaze as i have driven 7500 kms in the past 7 months or so. It is a very comfortable car and can seat 4 adults with good amount of space and an airy atmosphere. I did 3 long drives on highways and it is very stable at speeds of 120 kmph. The car has fantastic Air conditioning and it helps in long journeys and during extreme hot summers. My family did not complain about these trips and they felt absolutely fine at the end of every trip. FYI, i have not driven an Aspire, so it is only an observation of Amaze and not any comparison.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 17:20   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amaze vs Aspire

My choice would the Amaze here for two reasons - First one being, Amaze is a very popular car. I have always felt , in case of equal contenders, it is better to go for the popular car when in doubt. The service centers will be more knowledgeable and there will be no waiting time for most of the spares. That said , my own decisions does not echo that thought process and have made made decisions with my heart mostly. Second reason is the uncertainty over Ford's future in India. Even though they have committed to staying in India, it is better to wait till the clouds are cleared.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks