Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2018, 14:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

mid-size SUV: Creta or something else - how long shall I wait?

I am a proud owner of the 1st Gen Honda Jazz for the last 8years/80000 kms. The car has been an absolute joy to own for the last 8 years due to the bullet-proof reliability, spacious and premium interiors and butter smooth engine. The car still runs like a dream and the engine is still as smooth as it ever was. The only parts changed in these 8 years are the front disc brake pads once and wiper blades twice, nothing else. I know I paid a hefty premium for the Jazz in 2010 but I think I have got much more back than what I paid for.

Right now, the main reason for looking for a new car is that I want something with a high GC. Now, since I have owned the Jazz which is pretty spacious and the interiors are pretty premium, I would like to go for a mid-size SUV in the Creta/Compass space. I have preference towards brands like Honda/Toyota but there are not any alternatives in this space from these brands and I don't have high opinion about Indian brands like Tata/Mahindra. I almost made up my mind to buy the HRV when launched but the bright minds at Honda India have decided not to launch the HRV. So, I am back to square one. So, what should I do? What are the options in the next 1-2 years and how long should I wait?

Please mind that there is no urgency to buy a car immediately but I would like buy one in 2019, I can wait till 1st quarter of 2020 if there is really something exciting coming up. Budget-wise I am flexible (~20 lakhs) and I don't mind spending a bit more for a better car.

My requirements in order of priority -
High GC, high seating position, SUV-ish stance and looks
Abuse-friendly build,suspension, underbody protection
Reliability
Good quality,spacious interiors
Features (projector/LED headlights, Android auto, TPMS)
Ride quality, noise insulation
Engine performance and smoothness
5-seater with good boot space

Among the current options, I like the Compass but I am not too keen to buy a car from Jeep/Fiat due to A.S.S and reliability issues. Though I am not too impressed by Creta in terms of looks, interiors, value-for-money, if I have to pick one today, I will pick the Creta over the compass because I believe Hyundai will be more reliable and offer better A.S.S that Fiat (I might be biased here but that's how I feel)

Cars launching in this space in the future -
Tata H5X/Harrier - Q1 2019
Honda Amaze-based SUV -??
Volkswagen/Skoda T-cross - 2020?

Anything I am missing among the upcoming launches?
Should I wait for any launch or go for the Creta now?

Last edited by adimicra : 12th July 2018 at 14:35.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 14:42   #32
BHPian

Re: mid-size SUV: Creta or something else - how long shall I wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
What are the options in the next 1-2 years and how long should I wait?

Anything I am missing among the upcoming launches?
Any reason why you have not considered KIA SP Concept? Which is also slated for 2019 Launch.
So far everything going as plan for KIA and their planned offerings in India looks very promising.
Old 12th July 2018, 14:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the Honda Amaze based SUV is the BR-V.
The VM/Skoda T Model has an unpredictable future, given the group's vision-less flip flop strategy.
Old 12th July 2018, 15:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Should I wait for any launch or go for the Creta now?
Not sure why the following options are missing from your list:
  • Brezza - Not sure if you are okay with a Maruti but this compact SUV has proven its mettle, not to mention the solid after-sales service and resale of MSIL.
  • Duster - while it might be an aging horse, very few compact SUVs come close when it comes to ride comfort and handling. Add to that the AWD and you have a go-(almost) anywhere, modern, comfortable 5-seater.
  • EcoSport - this is arguably the best car from Ford's stable at the moment and has all the bells and whistles to pamper you (not to mention the superb safety ratings) in its latest face-lifted avatar
  • Nexon - I know you want to stay away from Tata but this one deserves a look, believe me! A friend just picked it up and he is going gaga over it, after having driven a Honda City prior to it. Tata has really taken its game to the next level here.
I know you are not in a hurry and would want to consider new launches but I have learned from experience to let a new product "stabilize" for a few years, whoever the manufacturer is, before it matures based on feedback from RWU (real world usage). Jeep Compass is a perfect case in point - look at the issues people are facing and it will be at least a couple of years before it settles down. Why not pick up a tried and tested model (like the ones mentioned above) which have undergone multiple iterations of improvements and debugs based on user feedback?!

My 2 cents.. hope it helps!

Last edited by cool_dube : 12th July 2018 at 15:07.
Old 12th July 2018, 15:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The VM/Skoda T Model has an unpredictable future, given the group's vision-less flip flop strategy.
He is talking about the new Amaze based SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
He is upgrading from last generation Jazz which has spacious and quality interior. Brezza and Duster fails in both department and Ecosport does not have much rear space. Even new generation Jazz is inferior to last one.

@adimicra - Your options are Creta/Compass this year and Kia SP/Tata Harrier next year.

Last edited by Latheesh : 12th July 2018 at 15:22.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 15:14   #36
BHPian

I myself own a Honda jazz and can understand your predicament about the lack of options and not wanting to pick up the Creta. I myself find it overpriced and too common and it's something that makes sense to the mind and not to the heart. I drove the Compass a few months back and it appealed straight to the heart. I believe that's your best bet at least for the next months. Mopar service and reliability is a big question mark and I agree with you that it can be a deal breaker after the excellent experience with Honda. There's lot of scope in the 15-20 L segment at the moment but HRV, RAV 4 or the full size vitara are not to be seen. I think you should just wait for the Harrier (I know it's a Tata but still) and then take a decision in Q1 2019. Hopefully jeep service also stabilised by that time and you are able to get a car which is a good all rounder. Hope this helps.
Old 12th July 2018, 15:18   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, at the moment - the Creta is your best bet as an all rounder unless you're willing to foray into the used car scene where you may get a decent SUV (Honda CRV) for an attractive price and maybe one thats still within warranty!

Hyundai has come a long way, and the new Creta is a brilliant vehicle which is why it sells even though it commands such a premium. It's refined, comfortable, powerful, etc.

The looks are something that haven't gone down with me well either, and neither has the price tag (which is why we bought the S-Cross 1.6 given our usage and requirements + Creta diesel AT lacked a few features at the time which we wanted) - but there's no denying that the car is a brilliant all rounder!

At the same time, why not consider a sedan with decent GC instead, like the Yaris - or even the WRV / BRV - it's practical, its spacious, its a honda, etc.
Old 12th July 2018, 16:03   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Budget-wise I am flexible (~20 lakhs) and I don't mind spending a bit more for a better car.

Among the current options, I like the Compass but I am not too keen to buy a car from Jeep/Fiat due to A.S.S and reliability issues.
if I have to pick one today, I will pick the Creta over the compass because I believe Hyundai will be more reliable and offer better A.S.S that Fiat (I might be biased here but that's how I feel)
You are right in most of your assumptions, at least I feel so about the parts being quoted. Now, since you have the budget to spend more than 20L and you have a bit of time in hand to sort out the finances, why not to get the Tucson, the upcoming one?
Old 12th July 2018, 17:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: EcoSport vs Creta vs Duster vs XUV500

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
No, there is a new SUV based on the NEW Amaze which will be launched as Creta rival, not sure about the timelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
  • Brezza - Not sure if you are okay with a Maruti but this compact SUV has proven its mettle, not to mention the solid after-sales service and resale of MSIL.
  • Duster - while it might be an aging horse, very few compact SUVs come close when it comes to ride comfort and handling. Add to that the AWD and you have a go-(almost) anywhere, modern, comfortable 5-seater.
  • EcoSport - this is arguably the best car from Ford's stable at the moment and has all the bells and whistles to pamper you (not to mention the superb safety ratings) in its latest face-lifted avatar
  • Nexon - I know you want to stay away from Tata but this one deserves a look, believe me! A friend just picked it up and he is going gaga over it, after having driven a Honda City prior to it. Tata has really taken its game to the next level here.
I know you are not in a hurry and would want to consider new launches but I have learned from experience to let a new product "stabilize" for a few years, whoever the manufacturer is, before it matures based on feedback from RWU (real world usage). Jeep Compass is a perfect case in point - look at the issues people are facing and it will be at least a couple of years before it settles down. Why not pick up a tried and tested model (like the ones mentioned above) which have undergone multiple iterations of improvements and debugs based on user feedback?!

NO offence to the owners of the cars mentioned above but these are actually a step down in interior quality or space compared to the previous gen Jazz which I own. Also, my budget is ~ 20 lakhs, so I am looking at a segment higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
He is talking about the new Amaze based SUV.

He is upgrading from last generation Jazz which has spacious and quality interior. Brezza and Duster fails in both department and Ecosport does not have much rear space. Even new generation Jazz is inferior to last one.

@adimicra - Your options are Creta/Compass this year and Kia SP/Tata Harrier next year.
Bingo, you read my mind.
I was not aware of the Kia SP.
I have my bias against buying anything from Tata which may or may not be true but I want to see if Tata offers better or premium A.S.S experience along with the launch of the harrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You are right in most of your assumptions, at least I feel so about the parts being quoted. Now, since you have the budget to spend more than 20L and you have a bit of time in hand to sort out the finances, why not to get the Tucson, the upcoming one?
Tucson is a wonderful car but I think it will go well above 20L on-road, need to check the cost. When is the upcoming one expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Honestly, at the moment - the Creta is your best bet as an all rounder unless you're willing to foray into the used car scene where you may get a decent SUV (Honda CRV) for an attractive price and maybe one thats still within warranty!

Hyundai has come a long way, and the new Creta is a brilliant vehicle which is why it sells even though it commands such a premium. It's refined, comfortable, powerful, etc.

The looks are something that haven't gone down with me well either, and neither has the price tag (which is why we bought the S-Cross 1.6 given our usage and requirements + Creta diesel AT lacked a few features at the time which we wanted) - but there's no denying that the car is a brilliant all rounder!

At the same time, why not consider a sedan with decent GC instead, like the Yaris - or even the WRV / BRV - it's practical, its spacious, its a honda, etc.
I am not keen on Sedans, I like hatchbacks or SUVs
WRV is hardly an upgrade and the BRV is actually a downgrade coming from the Jazz in terms of quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I myself own a Honda jazz and can understand your predicament about the lack of options and not wanting to pick up the Creta. I myself find it overpriced and too common and it's something that makes sense to the mind and not to the heart. I drove the Compass a few months back and it appealed straight to the heart. I believe that's your best bet at least for the next months. Mopar service and reliability is a big question mark and I agree with you that it can be a deal breaker after the excellent experience with Honda. There's lot of scope in the 15-20 L segment at the moment but HRV, RAV 4 or the full size vitara are not to be seen. I think you should just wait for the Harrier (I know it's a Tata but still) and then take a decision in Q1 2019. Hopefully jeep service also stabilised by that time and you are able to get a car which is a good all rounder. Hope this helps.
Thanks, buddy.
My heart is sold on the Compass but mind says NO. How is the reliability of the Compass? If the quality and reliability is excellent we might not have to visit the A.S.S often but reading some of the reports on this thread, it seems I can't expect the Honda reliability which I am used to so far.
I hope Jeep improves its services and Toyota/Honda starts taking this segment seriously.

I am overwhelmed by so many replies.
So, this is the summary -
Right now, Creta is the best bet.
Compass A.S.S/quality is a possible issue.
Tucson is an excellent option, need to check the prices and offers and the launch date for next version
Tata Harrier looks an excellent option but I will probably skip it unless Tata does something about A.S.S
Kia SP - need to read about it and the possible launch date
Honda Amaze-based SUV will probably not fit my requirements in terms of quality, finesse, looks etc
VW/Skoda SUV is a long way off, so no point in considering now.
Toyota is not launching anything in this segment.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2018, 17:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
The contenders remain

Ecosport AT:

Pros: Safer (6 Airbags), Automatic
Cons: Space at the rear, ride quality.

Creta SX(O):
Pros: Safer (6 airbags), Spacious
Cons: No Automatic, Expensive

Creta SX AT:
Pros: Spacious, Automatic
Cons: Only 2 airbags, expensive

Sadly, neither fits the bill well. I will have to compromise between Space (Ecosport) or Automatic (Creta SXO) Or look at the Verna or City.
I was in the same situation a couple of months ago. I had almost your same requirements. I had read almost all of the information available on T-BHP and down selected to S-cross, Duster and Creta. I also wanted an automatic.
Duster: I dont like the AMT and I am not too sure of their petrol engine. Almost booked the top end duster though.
S-Cross: Like it. But too less presence and no automatic were turn offs. Also no rear vents for the AC.
Creta: Ticked almost all the boxes. Airbags, Automatic, spacious and since the older version was available at about 50K discount and ready stock, I went for it.
One month down the line, I am a happy man. Drive is nice (still have to adjust the width and height especially on the front passenger side - I feel two wheelers were riding on my side board).
Only grouse is the the choices car sellers limit us to (this is not Hyundai but general). For example, I have no option to buy an auto, choice of engine type - petrol/diesel, Trim levels, with sunroof AND 6 airbags with leather seats even if I am paying almost 20 lakhs on-road.
Old 12th July 2018, 21:16   #41
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, this is the summary -
Right now, Creta is the best bet.
Compass A.S.S/quality is a possible issue.
Tucson is an excellent option, need to check the prices and offers and the launch date for next version
Tata Harrier looks an excellent option but I will probably skip it unless Tata does something about A.S.S
Kia SP - need to read about it and the possible launch date
Honda Amaze-based SUV will probably not fit my requirements in terms of quality, finesse, looks etc
VW/Skoda SUV is a long way off, so no point in considering now.
Toyota is not launching anything in this segment.
Very well summarised. Practically speaking, you have three options-

1. Creta- Which is a very potent car though a bit expensive for what it offers.

2. Kia SP- It might turn out to be a better version of the Creta, but may come at a premium over the Creta.

3. Tucson base- Since you can extend your budget by a bit over 20L, you may have a look at the base variant of the Tucson. Other than the missing ACC, it covers all the basics and it a segment above the Creta and the Kia SP. Now you may wait for the facelift or you can utilise the time before the launch of the facelift becomes imminent to haggle good discounts on the car. Here are some pics of the interiors of the car posted by BHPian vharihar. It looks quite good even in its base avatar-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4295423

Though Hyundai has removed a couple of features like Cruise control, roof rails and a few more from the base variant.
Old 12th July 2018, 23:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Please mind that there is no urgency to buy a car immediately but I would like buy one in 2019, I can wait till 1st quarter of 2020 if there is really something exciting coming up. Budget-wise I am flexible (~20 lakhs) and I don't mind spending a bit more for a better car.
I would say wait it out. Most of us here would want to buy a new car the moment the itch for a new car starts troubling us. But you seem to be quite content with the Jazz for the time being.
Q1 2020 is a long time away. Any car you buy today will be 'old' by then. So if you are ready to wait, I would suggest you wait because any car you buy in 2020 would be better than what you could buy today. Who knows what interesting models would be available by then.
Post the same question here in Q4 of 2019 and you will have much wider and better suggestions to choose from, and you will also have a good idea about how many of the new vehicle launches you are expecting today, actually happened.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 14:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Very well summarised. Practically speaking, you have three options-

1. Creta- Which is a very potent car though a bit expensive for what it offers.

2. Kia SP- It might turn out to be a better version of the Creta, but may come at a premium over the Creta.

3. Tucson base- Since you can extend your budget by a bit over 20L, you may have a look at the base variant of the Tucson. Other than the missing ACC, it covers all the basics and it a segment above the Creta and the Kia SP. Now you may wait for the facelift or you can utilise the time before the launch of the facelift becomes imminent to haggle good discounts on the car. Here are some pics of the interiors of the car posted by BHPian vharihar. It looks quite good even in its base avatar-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4295423

Though Hyundai has removed a couple of features like Cruise control, roof rails and a few more from the base variant.
Tucson base won't work out for me. It's not even having an ACC which is common in 5-10L cars. It also misses out on the side and curtain airbags which is quite baffling at this price range
I had a look at the Kia SP and it seems promising indeed. Might be a good alternative to the Creta with more sporty looks, interiors and some cool features.
Obviously, it's a big risk buying car from a new brand even though they are sister concern of Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I would say wait it out. Most of us here would want to buy a new car the moment the itch for a new car starts troubling us. But you seem to be quite content with the Jazz for the time being.
Q1 2020 is a long time away. Any car you buy today will be 'old' by then. So if you are ready to wait, I would suggest you wait because any car you buy in 2020 would be better than what you could buy today. Who knows what interesting models would be available by then.
Post the same question here in Q4 of 2019 and you will have much wider and better suggestions to choose from, and you will also have a good idea about how many of the new vehicle launches you are expecting today, actually happened.
2020 is not my preference. Ideally, I would like to buy one by middle of 2019 latest. 2020 is actually a stretch and only if we know that something really exciting is going to come up. Cars, unlike mobile phones, takes a pretty long time to launch and we normally have visibility for the next 6 months - 1 year.

Last edited by adimicra : 13th July 2018 at 14:29.
Old 13th July 2018, 16:30   #44
Team-BHP Support

Just saying, how much is the new Mitsubishi Outlander coming at? If you can live with the fuel bills, this will be one SUV to aim at if it priced below 25L.
Old 13th July 2018, 16:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Just saying, how much is the new Mitsubishi Outlander coming at? If you can live with the fuel bills, this will be one SUV to aim at if it priced below 25L.
If Autocar’s review was anything to go by, the car is a meddling proposition in that although Mitsubishi is claiming to have incorporated its DNA into the Outlander, it isn’t a very well packaged car. At roughly 32 lakh rupees ex showroom, it doesn’t come across as VFM, what with the poorly thought out interior design etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks