Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2018, 00:25   #1
BHPian

EcoSport vs Creta vs Duster vs XUV500

Hi Guys,

Am in the market for a new car to replace my Swift ZDI. Its been a long 6 yrs since I got the swift, and it has served me well. However, with the family growing, I feel the need for more space (the child seat is a tight fit in the swift)

Starting a new thread on my choices primarily because all these cars have had mid-life facelifts and quiet significant ones at that. Hence, the current threads have dated info.

The car will mainly be driven on city roads, with a few outstation trips thrown in. Rarely will it be taken off-road.

I am listing down the must have and good to have requirements. Have tried to shortlist cars basis that. Feel free to add any I might have missed. Fairly flexible on the price (sub 17 lakhs OTR is manageable), though would want value for money.

Must have:
1. SUV/High ground clearance/ high driving position
2. Automatic. Paddle shifters are a plus.
3. Atleast 2 airbags, preferable 6
4. ABS, EBD
5. Fair bit of space for 4 adults. With a 6 footer driving, a 5'10 person should be at ease in the rear
6. Comfortable ride
7. Ease to maintain and consistent, good after sales service
8. Fun to drive, yet not being painful in city traffic. Coming from the swift, I dont want to be repenting buying a crappy car.
9. Projector headlights with DRLs

Good to have:
1. 6 airbags & other safety features like ESP, Traction control etc.
2. Creature comforts like touchscreen, nice sound system, keyless entry, alloys, etc etc
3. A large accommodating boot
4. 60:40 folding seat
5. ISOFIX
6. Auto Dimming rear view mirror
7. Rear Ac/Blower vents
8. Ability to seat 5 in comfort

Dont Care:
1. Petrol or Diesel (avg drive would be 1000Kms a month)
2. 3rd row of seats
3. 4X4/offroad capability
4. Not so useful cosmetics like sunroof

Will be test driving the cars mentioned above starting tomm. My current thoughts

1. Ecosport: The car of choice currently. Meets most of my requirements. Cons: rear seat space, after sales, small boot

2. Creta: Choice 2 and a strong one at that. With the facelift, a lot of complaints has been taken care of. Cons: Not FTD, Price

3. Duster: Interiors barebones, poor ergonomics, Renault after sales service poor

4. XUV: Huge.

Inputs welcome. Loved the swift suggestion given by the community the last time around. Hoping for another one this time around.

Last edited by funkyp : 16th June 2018 at 00:26.
funkyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 01:23   #2
BHPian

re: EcoSport vs Creta vs Duster vs XUV500

Hello,

After reading your requirements I believe Ecosport fits the bill perfectly. It ticks most boxes. The top end AT, Titanium+ is filled to the brim with umpteen features.

What you get (from your list)
- Safety (6 airbags, ISOFIX, ABS, EBD, ESP, TC, Hill assist).
- Best in class 8 inch touchscreen.
- Automatic with paddle shifters.
- Cruise control.
- Full fold seats for maximum cargo space.
- Solid build.

You miss
- Rear A/C vents/blowers.
- Strictly a 4 seater on long journeys.
- Sunroof (missing in AT; available in S and Signature variants).

Please consider a slightly harsh and bouncy ride (not overly) at low speeds on pothole infested roads. At high speeds this is not a factor though. Also, although the new petrol engine on Ecosport is excellent, its not as fun to drive as its predecessor. One less cylinder is the biggest reason. If you are an enthusiast then TDCI would make more sense. But you will miss out on an automatic.

If you are not constrained by budget then Creta is highly recommended. Please read through this thread. The facelift is attracting a lot of praise here for its butter smooth nature. Haven't TD'ed the car yet but I'll blindly believe folks here. The only downer for me is that the top end doesn't come with an automatic.

Last edited by strawhat : 16th June 2018 at 01:38.
strawhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 02:42   #3
BHPian

While Ecosport is a good choice, one of its biggest cons are that there are more spacious cars available, both in terms of knee room and shoulder room. Its ride quality is also not the best. In the long run, this forces you to upgrade earlier by say 2-3 years, than you would with a more spacious car. If you are willing to compromise on these then Ecosport is a good choice, and you should go for it and ticks the value for money quotient too

If you are not willing to make this compromise, I would recommend few other, more spacious cars for your consideration.

The issue is amongst SUVs Ecosport is the only car at that price point coming with 6 airbags, and that is a good requirement to have, one which you shouldn't compromise over. However, if you are willing to compromise on SUV and consider sedans, then you could consider either the Honda City ZX CVT or the Verna SX(O) AT, both of which nearly each and every one of your requirements, especially as the car will mostly be driven on city roads.

If you are not willing to compromise the SUV body shape, then you have other choices in 2 airbags only. Hyundai Creta which you have already mentioned is very good all round car. Another car which you could consider is BR-V. Its not a big volume seller, but has set of very accomplished engine and gearbox combination and is very spacious. There are pretty huge offers going on too, which should up the value for money quotient.

If I were you I would go for Honda City, a car that I am confident would serve me the next 8 years and more as the kid in kid seat grows.

Hope this confusing post helped you in some way.
autorahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 10:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

EcoSport, a good car, but it won't feel much spacious/airy after living with the Swift, pretty good car and everyone seems happy driving it.

My recommendation would be to get the Creta, in petrol or diesel, that would your choice, but in your shoes, I will stick with a petrol. The price difference is more than 1L between both and with your running and majorly commuting, I will prefer a petrol.

At the same time, will suggest to have a real world check about FE of a petrol AT Creta, if it is too low for your liking than a diesel would be a good bet. Frankly, I couldn't think of any other pseudo SUV given your requirements.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 13:48   #5
BHPian

EcoSport on paper suits all your requirements other than ride quality. But I wouldn't suggest it. The low speed ride quality really has to be experienced over bad roads to understand just how much of an issue it is.
Secondly, perhaps a little OT, but "fun to drive" is something hard too define IMO. For someone who likes relaxed, fast cruising over all surfaces, an American SUV with a big engine and magic carpet ride might be the definition. For others a sharp corner carver. Journalists love to talk about fun to drive vehicles. And I've never understood how any in their right mind have branded the EcoSport as such. Personally, I believe that the EcoSport's well contained body roll and sharply tuned dynamics are nullified by the fact that any high unibody vehicle (let alone a roly-poly ladder frame) isn't fun because of the high centre of gravity - the operative word is always "well-controlled", but it's still there. In that aspect, try a Ritz or Brezza and compare it with your Swift. See how much "FTD" factor is lost because of that.
But that's my subjective addition to the matter. Objectively though, and coming to why I lose respect when someone says the EcoSport is "FTD" is when you actually steer it. That steering is the worst thing on the planet - it is light and soulless at all speeds. It's the biggest argument for introducing autonomous cars IMO - if new car steerings are going to be so sterile, I welcome the oblivion of autonomous vehicles.
Also, free-revving is fun (I love driving my slow car fast more than anything, my 3-pot, manual steering Alto), but 3 cylinders aren't that much fun. You'll truly understand what the fuss is about V6s not when driving a V6, but when you compare what a 3 cylinder feels like in comparison to a 4 cylinder. So please, look at only 4 cylinders. I think someone's also pointed out the 3 cylinder isn't as much fun as before.

I say this, not because I'm biased against the vehicle or something - I think it's one of the best vehicles around, especially from a build and safety perspective - if someone were to want a high riding 4 seater for mostly good roads, and weren't too keen on driving, I'd recommend it over any other car. But I can't stomach the fact that someone who drives a 6 year old Swift would actually enjoy it - say what you will about Maruti, but it makes pleasantly engaging hydraulic power steerings.
So, fwiw, in your case, if you do agree with me after an extensive test drive (and not just going by everyone calling it FTD), you're left with a bumpy 4 seater with great build quality.
You've already mentioned the pros. Let me address the cons. Price. Well, you clearly have the money to spend. I know it's not nice to buy something that isn't VFM (paisa vassool to chaahiye), but we're already being fleeced left, right and centre, and over pay for a lot of things both explicitly and implicitly. To pay a little more for your best option if you have the money isn't a deal breaker. But yes, the Creta is, without a doubt, overpriced. As regards FTD, well, I already addressed some of it above. My point being that it won't be as sharp as the EcoSport around corners (have driven both extensively), but to me, it doesn't matter - that's not the point of such a vehicle. You're not going to have much fun any way. And personally, at least the Creta's steering wheels tried to weigh up with speed. At least there's some pretence. And it's got more grunt. Feels much more effortless than the EcoSport, imo. So, in that sense, for me - a self-proclaimed enthusiast, the soulless vehicle I'd never buy is the one I find more FTD personally.
I feel the overall build quality is below the EcoSport though. Personally, I feel the roof liner of my 15 year old Alto is comparable to the Creta's (not even slightly exaggerating, but then Marutis used to be much better built back then). But being a Hyundai, the overall feel isn't appalling.
The ride is decent too - it's a little bouncy, but comfortable overall. More space too.
The only issue here is, that you can't get 6 airbags + A/T on the Creta, if I'm not mistaken.
While we're on the subject, I'd exhort you to change it to 6 airbags being a requirement, and not just a bonus. Just think about it. 4 years down the line, traveling with wife and kid(s) (no longer in child seats now). Do you really want only 2 airbags? Could you go without 6 - knowing our roads, other drivers and that your family is in the back? That's one place you shouldn't compromise - if you wind up picking the Creta, I'd say compromise on the A/T, not 6 airbags.
Just no. Old school mechanicals are a plus on a ladder frame, not in a unibody. You want something nice and modern, not an overpriced dinosaur. The only thing this has going for it is its ride quality. Other than that it falls behind in just about every aspect (other than off-roading which isn't a requirement for you).
This I don't have as much experience with, but I'd recommend it second after the Creta. Reasonably powerful and spacious. Quality levels and niggles are where you compromise, and while I couldn't ever stand it (have you seen what they did to the styling?) - it's probably where you compromise least. I think you can get A/T + 6 airbags. Good ride. Space. Steering feel is again a bust, but it pulls okay.

In a nutshell:
If, and only if, after thorough TDs, you find that the EcoSport is indeed FTD, you're golden! A well-built, fun to drive car with paddle-shifts and 6 airbags. You'll get used to the ride (you won't, but still, you're golden).

If not, now that we are much more realistic about FTD, especially with regard to our previous expectations calibrated by having the luxury of chucking an older hatchback around corners, I give you:

1. Creta M/T with 6 airbags
(People are ignoring your first requirement of a high riding vehicle and recommending sedans, allow me to take this other liberty, especially since you're looking for FTD - in which case I'm already surprised you want a Torque Convertor A/T).

2. XUV A/T with 6 airbags
You might join the legions of customers entirely satisfied with this very practical and VFM car, for all its shortcomings.

3. EcoSport 4 cylinder A/T with 6 airbags

No recommendations for vehicles without 6 airbags from me, even for the sake of completeness. I'll say it again, don't do it.
__________________________________________________ _________________
And now, lastly, my actual number 1 recommendation. What I'd do without these requirements and this money:
I'd stretch the 17l ex-showroom just a little (might not have to given current discounts), and go for the Tata Hexa XTA 4x2.
If you are one of those who can look past the "20L for a Tata" thing, you're looking at a vehicle a class above all of these (even above the XUV imo).
Will bother extolling its virtues only if you are open to the idea. There are many who won't bother with Tata no matter what, so I won't waste typing effort unless I'm sure you're not in that category.
But I can't recommend it highly enough - both as an absolutely better vehicle, and given your requirements.

Last edited by Mu009 : 16th June 2018 at 14:05. Reason: Corrections
Mu009 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 14:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post

The car will mainly be driven on city roads, with a few outstation trips thrown in. Rarely will it be taken off-road.
Go for the Ecosport Diesel, checks most of your boxes & is a wonderfully compact city car.

Also in the long run it's quite frugal to maintain.

Please take into account the cost of ownership while buying your next car if value is what you seek!
jayram.r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 15:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
Hello,

After reading your requirements I believe Ecosport fits the bill perfectly. It ticks most boxes. The top end AT, Titanium+ is filled to the brim with umpteen features.

If you are not constrained by budget then Creta is highly recommended. The only downer for me is that the top end doesn't come with an automatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
While Ecosport is a good choice, one of its biggest cons are that there are more spacious cars available, both in terms of knee room and shoulder room.

The issue is amongst SUVs Ecosport is the only car at that price point coming with 6 airbags, and that is a good requirement to have, one which you shouldn't compromise over. However, if you are willing to compromise on SUV and consider sedans, then you could consider either the Honda City ZX CVT or the Verna SX(O) AT, both of which nearly each and every one of your requirements, especially as the car will mostly be driven on city roads.

If I were you I would go for Honda City, a car that I am confident would serve me the next 8 years and more as the kid in kid seat grows.

Hope this confusing post helped you in some way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
EcoSport, a good car, but it won't feel much spacious/airy after living with the Swift, pretty good car and everyone seems happy driving it.

My recommendation would be to get the Creta, in petrol or diesel, that would your choice, but in your shoes, I will stick with a petrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
EcoSport on paper suits all your requirements other than ride quality. But I wouldn't suggest it. The low speed ride quality really has to be experienced over bad roads to understand just how much of an issue it is.

In a nutshell:
If, and only if, after thorough TDs, you find that the EcoSport is indeed FTD, you're golden! A well-built, fun to drive car with paddle-shifts and 6 airbags. You'll get used to the ride (you won't, but still, you're golden).

If not, now that we are much more realistic about FTD, especially with regard to our previous expectations calibrated by having the luxury of chucking an older hatchback around corners, I give you:

1. Creta M/T with 6 airbags
(People are ignoring your first requirement of a high riding vehicle and recommending sedans, allow me to take this other liberty, especially since you're looking for FTD - in which case I'm already surprised you want a Torque Convertor A/T).

2. XUV A/T with 6 airbags
You might join the legions of customers entirely satisfied with this very practical and VFM car, for all its shortcomings.

3. EcoSport 4 cylinder A/T with 6 airbags

No recommendations for vehicles without 6 airbags from me, even for the sake of completeness. I'll say it again, don't do it.
__________________________________________________ _________________

I'd stretch the 17l ex-showroom just a little (might not have to given current discounts), and go for the Tata Hexa XTA 4x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayram.r View Post
Go for the Ecosport Diesel, checks most of your boxes & is a wonderfully compact city car.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Very useful and has helped clear some of my doubts away. Atleast ruled out some of the options. Duster is out. XUV is out (did a TD, its way too large for me to manage at this point).

Hexa would have been a good choice (I have nothing against Tata, especially with the wonderful cars they have been churning out), but frankly, even 17 lakhs for the top Creta is a stretch. Cant spend any more.

I am actually changing my must haves to safety (6 airbags), space, ride quality, Auto box

The contenders remain

Ecosport AT:

Pros: Safer (6 Airbags), Automatic
Cons: Space at the rear, ride quality.

Creta SX(O):
Pros: Safer (6 airbags), Spacious
Cons: No Automatic, Expensive

Creta SX AT:
Pros: Spacious, Automatic
Cons: Only 2 airbags, expensive

Sadly, neither fits the bill well. I will have to compromise between Space (Ecosport) or Automatic (Creta SXO) Or look at the Verna or City.

Why cant any manufacturer get Safety, Auto & Space in one good package!
funkyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 17:53   #8
Team-BHP Support

Please have a test-drive of the Tata Nexon and see if you like it, you just may. I liked its spacious seats and in darker colors it looks good. Have a look at the XZA+ with AMT. Do give us your feedback.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 18:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am listing down the must have and good to have requirements. Have tried to shortlist cars basis that. Feel free to add any I might have missed. Fairly flexible on the price (sub 17 lakhs OTR is manageable), though would want value for money.

Inputs welcome. Loved the swift suggestion given by the community the last time around. Hoping for another one this time around.

I totally get what you are going through. I was in the market recently for a Rs 10 Lakh Ex-showroom car (Diesel Auto) and My cousin was in the market for upto Rs 20 Lakh (Auto) Car.

I finalized on the nexon Diesel Auto after looking at Brezza, Amaze CVT and Creta Non-Auto.

My cousin is still confused. XUV 500 is impressive from the outside but interior quality and third row space as well as usability leaves a lot to be desired. Creta Auto seems the only decent SUV / Pseudo SUV Auto at the 15 Lakh to 20 Lakh price point.

I would suggest Creta Automatic Vs other options and on the Ecosport please test drive with family on bad roads and make sure you are OK with the ride. I felt, I could feel all the pebbles on the road while driving..
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 18:20   #10
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Among the options listed, I'd suggest the new Creta SX+ AT. Other than the missing airbags, the car is the clear winner among the other cars mentioned here. But yes, the Ecosport is the only car here which comes with 6 airbags. When it comes to size, it won't feel like much of an upgrade from a Swift, but if you are willing to overlook that, it actually ticks a couple of more boxes than the Creta AT.

As others have already suggested, do check out the City ZX CVT and the Verna SX(O), among which City would be my choice.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 01:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Am in the market for a new car to replace my Swift ZDI.
Among the compact SUV gang, narrow it down to -

1) Hyundai Creta
+ Refinement, fit and finish, space
- Soulless driving experience, price

2) Ford EcoSport
+ Fun to drive, solid build, price
- Cabin space

The Creta is a segment higher than the EcoSport and a better overall car. Having driven one, I can say that the driving experience is smooth, but disconnected. Coming from a Swift, you will surely miss its fun to drive nature. The EcoSport has a much smaller cabin but it feels a lot more fun to drive. It's also much cheaper.

Among the sedans -

1) Hyundai Verna
+ Refinement, equipment
- Cramped cabin, A/T doesn't get 6 airbags

2) Honda City
+ Great space and comfort, 6 airbags on the A/T, i-VTEC
- Light build, pricey

I'd say go for the EcoSport.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 14:12   #12
BHPian

I think you should take a test drive and decide for yourself which vehicle is fun to drive. We seem to have gotten into a perception bubble that the Creta is “Soulless” when the facts don’t back it up:

1. Fastest diesel SUV around. Creta does the 0-100 run in less than 11 seconds vs ~13 seconds for the Ecosport. The facelift gives you peak torque from 1500 all the way to 3000 rpm which will translate to strong in gear acceleration.
2. The Petrol is also supposed to be fast and super refined. The balanced 4 cylinder engine trumps the 3 cylinder easily.
3. The suspension is comfortable yet does not give significant body roll. The C&B review suggest the facelift has tightened this up further.
4. The steering weighs up nicely at speeds and is petty accurate. For reference I drive a Punto and have extensively driven the Creta (Zoomcar rental of choice for highway trips). This against the reports that recent Ford steering’s have become too light.

To your need for 6 airbags, look at the overall safety package not just airbag count. The Creta with just 2 airbags scored 4 stars on NCAP safety ratings. The fact that it did not have ABS as standard at that time and no seatbelt reminders lowered its score https://www.latinncap.com/en/result/...ta-+-2-airbags

Finally, your 2 needs for 1) Space (6 footer driving) and 2) comfortable ride won’t be met by the Ecosport. And while the Ecosport boot is only 50 litres smaller than the creta on paper, most of that volume comes in height and not actual area available. The Creta boot fits in weekend luggage for 5 easily while the Ecosport struggles with more than 2 large bags.

My recommendation is to go with the Creta.
Silverfire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 12:56   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
I think you should take a test drive and decide for yourself which vehicle is fun to drive. We seem to have gotten into a perception bubble that the Creta is “Soulless” when the facts don’t back it up:
I agree with this. I cant relate to terms like "Soulless" or "boring" when it comes to cars. I just enjoy driving!

Also, "Fun-to-drive" is subjective as well I believe.

For person A, cutting through traffic in a small peppy car is fun.
For person B, fast and confident cornering in a car with accomplished dynamics is fun.
For person C, gliding over a potholed/uneven road without having to slow down is fun! And the list goes on.. you get the drift.

In my opinion, if you have the budget for a Creta, and don't have a fuel-type preference then its a no-brainer! That 1.6L 126Hp diesel is a stonker of an engine with a decently capable and reliable torque converter! Also, Hyundais handling like boats is a thing of the past. If it is fast, convenient, premium and reliable, then its surely not "soulless" to me. Happy shopping!
Added_flavor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 14:30   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: EcoSport vs Creta vs Duster vs XUV500

Agreed with other BHPians. If you have the budget, go for the Creta over the EcoSport. It's one heck of an all-rounder and will keep you happy, inflated price-tag aside. You don't need the 3rd row or space, hence the XUV500 is out and the Duster is too old to get a recommendation today.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 15:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: EcoSport vs Creta vs Duster vs XUV500

Is there any reason for a high riding car? You may want to look at the Verna AT which offers the 6-speed torque converter and 6 airbags and priced below the Creta and is in your budget. If you need a diesel, that's also on offer.

The City also offers a petrol CVT with 6 airbags, albeit a bit overpriced.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed