Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2018, 17:36   #16
BHPian

Re: EcoSport vs Creta vs Duster vs XUV500

Are you not considering Tata Hexa? Creta 2018 model looks great after face lift. Xuv 500 flush have loads of features. But EcoSport is not part of this brigade.
Old 18th June 2018, 19:37   #17
BHPian

Looks like Creta is the best suited and that's what others also recommending.

In this price bracket Duster is my choice because of the ride quality (IMHO best in this segment) but NVH, ASS, maintenance issues highlighted in the forum are the concerns. Also GTO's advise - it is too old, I agree with that also.

Creta - I personally did not like the rear seat bouncing behavior in bumps, bad stretches and lifeless steering as others also quoted. Is it value for money? I also do not think so. 15+ for automatic or a top end is not worth if you ask me.

Having said that does not look like there are other options.

I do not have idea about EcoSport though.
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 10:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Inputs welcome. Loved the swift suggestion given by the community the last time around. Hoping for another one this time around.
Hey Funkyp,

Do keep us posted on what you finally select. I am watching this thread very closely because your requirements almost mirror mine exactly - though I am open to sedans as well. So both Verna and City top end autos are also in consideration.

If only the Vento TSI came with 6 airbags. Sigh.
Old 21st June 2018, 15:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please have a test-drive of the Tata Nexon and see if you like it, you just may.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post

I finalized on the nexon Diesel Auto after looking at Brezza, Amaze CVT and Creta Non-Auto.

I would suggest Creta Automatic Vs other options and on the Ecosport please test drive with family on bad roads and make sure you are OK with the ride. I felt, I could feel all the pebbles on the road while driving..
Have heard a lot of the Nexon. Adding that to my list of cars to drive. This can be a choice between Nexon vs Ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Among the options listed, I'd suggest the new Creta SX+ AT. Other than the missing airbags, the car is the clear winner among the other cars mentioned here.

As others have already suggested, do check out the City ZX CVT and the Verna SX(O), among which City would be my choice.
City & Verna have been added to the consideration set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Among the compact SUV gang, narrow it down to -

1) Hyundai Creta
+ Refinement, fit and finish, space
- Soulless driving experience, price

2) Ford EcoSport
+ Fun to drive, solid build, price
- Cabin space

Among the sedans -

1) Hyundai Verna
+ Refinement, equipment
- Cramped cabin, A/T doesn't get 6 airbags

2) Honda City
+ Great space and comfort, 6 airbags on the A/T, i-VTEC
- Light build, pricey

I'd say go for the EcoSport.
This sums it up well and pretty much what my reading is today. Add to it a trial run on the Nexon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post

To your need for 6 airbags, look at the overall safety package not just airbag count. The Creta with just 2 airbags scored 4 stars on NCAP safety ratings. The fact that it did not have ABS as standard at that time and no seatbelt reminders lowered its score https://www.latinncap.com/en/result/...ta-+-2-airbags

My recommendation is to go with the Creta.
Is there more info to substantiate this? I agree that 6 airbags is not the sole indicator for safety. A rigid construction, crumple zones etc all add to package. My only worry is NCAP rating is usually done on global models and the ones sold in India May/May not meet the same standards. Hence the 6 airbag comfort factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
I agree with this. I cant relat to terms like "Soulless" or "boring" when it comes to cars. I just enjoy driving!

Also, "Fun-to-drive" is subjective as well I believe.

For person A, cutting through traffic in a small peppy car is fun.
For person B, fast and confident cornering in a car with accomplished dynamics is fun.
For person C, gliding over a potholed/uneven road without having to slow down is fun! And the list goes on.. you get the drift.

In my opinion, if you have the budget for a Creta, and don't have a fuel-type preference then its a no-brainer! That 1.6L 126Hp diesel is a stonker of an engine with a decently capable and reliable torque converter! Also, Hyundais handling like boats is a thing of the past. If it is fast, convenient, premium and reliable, then its surely not "soulless" to me. Happy shopping!
Bang on. I do have the budget for the Creta, but maybe the diesel auto will be a stretch. Plus with my driving of sub 1000kms a month, not sure if its worth plonking the extra for the diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed with other BHPians. If you have the budget, go for the Creta over the EcoSport. It's one heck of an all-rounder and will keep you happy, inflated price-tag aside. You don't need the 3rd row or space, hence the XUV500 is out and the Duster is too old to get a recommendation today.
Inflated price tag! Thats the problem with the Creta. The value for money seeker in my just doesnt feel like relenting. Plus the fact that I dont have 6 airbags. Thats is the biggest deal breaker for me currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Is there any reason for a high riding car? You may want to look at the Verna AT which offers the 6-speed torque converter and 6 airbags and priced below the Creta and is in your budget. If you need a diesel, that's also on offer.

The City also offers a petrol CVT with 6 airbags, albeit a bit overpriced.
High riding car was a preference, a 'feel good' rather than an actual need. Have added verna and city to my list based on earlier recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvik25 View Post
Are you not considering Tata Hexa? Creta 2018 model looks great after face lift. Xuv 500 flush have loads of features. But EcoSport is not part of this brigade.
Hexa is out of my budget. Plus a third row of seats is not a requirment. Had tried the XUV but found it too big to lug around in city. Dropped it from my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Looks like Creta is the best suited and that's what others also recommending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHerring View Post
Hey Funkyp,

Do keep us posted on what you finally select. I am watching this thread very closely because your requirements almost mirror mine exactly - though I am open to sedans as well. So both Verna and City top end autos are also in consideration.

If only the Vento TSI came with 6 airbags. Sigh.
I will keep my journey posted. Okay so some quick updates:

Ecosport: TD of the dragon petrol auto is scheduled for this Saturday. Unfortunately, no ecoboost in automatic. Not considering the diesel.

Creta: TD the petrol auto (pre-facelift version) - no change in mechanicals. Diesel wasnt available. Will try again this weekend.

Likes: Spacious, Decent View, Smooth Motor, Comfortable over patchy roads. lighter handling (steering) as compared to my swift makes city drives easy, stable over harsh braking.

Dislikes: Gearbox a tad slow, no paddle shift makes manual control cumbersome, Not great for spirited handling, only 2 airbags.

Verna: Had high hopes, Saw it at the showroom. Found rear seat space in-adequate at my driving position. The older City had a lot more space - I am assuming the new one will too. Dropped for the time being.

Nexon: TD this weekend.

City: TD this weekend

XUV500: TD done. Too large for my liking. No need for 3rd row. Dropped.

Duster: Didnt TD. Dropped based on recommendations earlier.

Terrano: Thought of considering this, but since its a re-skinned Duster, dropped.

Boot space is not a big requirement. As long as it can hold a pram (even my swift is able to) + a suitcase (swift cant with the pram) it should be enough. Can always take cabs for those odd airport runs.

Last edited by funkyp : 21st June 2018 at 15:37.
Old 21st June 2018, 21:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post

To your need for 6 airbags, look at the overall safety package not just airbag count. The Creta with just 2 airbags scored 4 stars on NCAP safety ratings. The fact that it did not have ABS as standard at that time and no seatbelt reminders lowered its score https://www.latinncap.com/en/result/...ta-+-2-airbags

My recommendation is to go with the Creta.
As per the link, the side impact test was not performed on the Creta. The four star rating is only for the front adult passengers tested for a front collision. The child rear passenger rating is three stars for the front collision.
All other things constant, the 6 airbags version will perform much better than this on the side impact test. And should also be a much safer car.

OT: even though I just don't like the Yaris, we need to give credit Toyota on offering a standard 7 airbags across all variants. If only other manufacturers start giving it at least as an option.
RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2018, 10:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
As per the link, the side impact test was not performed on the Creta. The four star rating is only for the front adult passengers tested for a front collision. The child rear passenger rating is three stars for the front collision.
All other things constant, the 6 airbags version will perform much better than this on the side impact test. And should also be a much safer car.

OT: even though I just don't like the Yaris, we need to give credit Toyota on offering a standard 7 airbags across all variants. If only other manufacturers start giving it at least as an option.
That is a very valid point. The actual impact of the curtain airbags will be felt on side impact tests. I wish the Indian Government mandates a safety rating for all the cars sold here.

I was reading through the Official TBHP review of Yaris to figure out if I should add it to the consideration set. Yet again an overpriced option
Old 25th June 2018, 13:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I will keep my journey posted. Okay so some quick updates:

Ecosport: TD of the dragon petrol auto is scheduled for this Saturday. Unfortunately, no ecoboost in automatic. Not considering the diesel.

Creta: TD the petrol auto (pre-facelift version) - no change in mechanicals. Diesel wasnt available. Will try again this weekend.

Likes: Spacious, Decent View, Smooth Motor, Comfortable over patchy roads. lighter handling (steering) as compared to my swift makes city drives easy, stable over harsh braking.

Dislikes: Gearbox a tad slow, no paddle shift makes manual control cumbersome, Not great for spirited handling, only 2 airbags.

Verna: Had high hopes, Saw it at the showroom. Found rear seat space in-adequate at my driving position. The older City had a lot more space - I am assuming the new one will too. Dropped for the time being.

Nexon: TD this weekend.

City: TD this weekend

XUV500: TD done. Too large for my liking. No need for 3rd row. Dropped.

Duster: Didnt TD. Dropped based on recommendations earlier.

Terrano: Thought of considering this, but since its a re-skinned Duster, dropped.

Boot space is not a big requirement. As long as it can hold a pram (even my swift is able to) + a suitcase (swift cant with the pram) it should be enough. Can always take cabs for those odd airport runs.
Update from the last weekend TDs - Only posting about the cars in consideration.

Ecosport - Tried the Titanium+ petrol automatic. Loved it. Drives well, handles brilliantly. The infotainment system is outstanding. The display looks so gorgeous. Absolutely no lag. The ride is harsh, but its better than my swift. I am inclined to overlook this. But the space (leg) at the rear is still tight. Not cramped, but tight. 5th occupant is out of the question. Boot has enough space to hold one luggage + the pram.

Creta - Tried both the petrol & diesel autos. No doubt the diesel is more fun to drive (pulls better) and pretty refined at that. But the petrol is not a slouch. Should suffice for my requirement. Spacious (good leg room, boot space. 5th occupant still a squeeze). Cushioned ride compared to Ecosport. Handles decently. The dash looks pale in comparison to the Ecosport. Infotainment system has lag. (this was the pre-facelift. Not sure if the infotainment screen/software has been upgraded in the new version)
Yet to drive the petrol MT.

Nexon - Like the car overall. A good step up for Tata. No wonder its selling well. However, the space is not that much more than Ecosport. I will choose the ecosport over the nexon. So, ruled out.

City: Couldnt TD. The sales staff was too busy to come for the TD. With my infant daughter, couldnt go to the showroom. Wifey is not too kicked about a sedan, so unlikely this will be a decider.

4 options really now:

1. Compromise on Space - take the Ecosport petrol Titanium+ AT
2. Compromise on 6 airbags - take the Creta Petrol AT SX. Structural rigidity is a point of debate.
3. Compromise on AT convenience - take the Creta Petrol MT SX(O)
4. Compromise on SUV body style - take the City ZX AT. (unlikely)

So finally - seems like down to Ecosport & Creta. The car will primarily be used in Mumbai with weekend trips thrown in. Will have a child seat as permanent fixture.
funkyp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2018, 19:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:

So finally - seems like down to Ecosport & Creta. The car will primarily be used in Mumbai with weekend trips thrown in. Will have a child seat as permanent fixture.
The infotainment system on the new creta should be better. It gets Android Auto and Apple Car play. Not sure of the earlier version. It also gets the sunroof

I think it's a question of :
Compromise on space : ecosport
Compromise on convenience or safety : creta

If you are only looking at the 5th passenger occasionally and not as a regular, I think the ecosport definitely is better. You get a car that is easy to maneuver within the city along with good safety.
RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2018, 23:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
4 options really now:

1. Compromise on Space - take the Ecosport petrol Titanium+ AT
2. Compromise on 6 airbags - take the Creta Petrol AT SX. Structural rigidity is a point of debate.
3. Compromise on AT convenience - take the Creta Petrol MT SX(O)
4. Compromise on SUV body style - take the City ZX AT. (unlikely)

Did some more TDs this weekend. Tried the Creta Petrol Manual, City ZX CVT. As predicted, City was good on space and comfort, but wife ruled it out. Shes keen on the SUV body type. Besides she felt even the Ecosport was more comfortable than the city at the back

Driving the creta manual almost convinced me to go with the auto. The pick up at low revs is quiet poor and I ended up stalling the car twice. So I am doing to my final 2 choices:

1. Creta SX Auto Petrol - Compromise on 6 airbags
2. Ecosport Titanium+ AT Petrol - Compromise on space, segment lower (arguably), ride comfort.

Still torn between the 2.

Off topic: are any more creta competitors expected in the next 60 days?
funkyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 08:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think there is any other launch planned apart from the ciaz facelift but since you are looking only at compact suvs, I don't think anything is scheduled now.

This segment makes the decision pretty tough. I also test drove the Creta Petrol Auto and while I loved it overall, the brakes were downright weird and I didn't get the feeling that they were working! I got a little more used to it as I drove around but I wasn't really comfortable with them.

The ecosport round 2 test drive is planned this weekend and I will book it if I like it. Else I am just going to go ahead and book the vento (which has been pulling at my heart)!
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Did some more TDs this weekend.

You can give the BRV IVTEC a shot. I agree that it's a sales dud but you can bargain for hefty discounts. The car misses out on the stance of creta and EcoSport but you get additional seats and the outstanding Honda petrol engine.
Old 3rd July 2018, 12:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
So I am doing to my final 2 choices:

1. Creta SX Auto Petrol - Compromise on 6 airbags
2. Ecosport Titanium+ AT Petrol - Compromise on space, segment lower (arguably), ride comfort.

Still torn between the 2.

The SA from ford called the other day telling me that based on the customer feedback about the 17" rims leading to poor comfort, Ford has decided to move to 16" for all variants. That should improve ride comfort. If true, I like the way ford is listening to customer and making amends

Quote:
I don't think there is any other launch planned apart from the ciaz facelift but since you are looking only at compact suvs, I don't think anything is scheduled now.
thats a bummer. I was hoping for the mahindra contender for this space to be out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
You can give the BRV IVTEC a shot. I agree that it's a sales dud but you can bargain for hefty discounts. The car misses out on the stance of creta and EcoSport but you get additional seats and the outstanding Honda petrol engine.
Thanks for the suggestion. Ruled it out during the initial shortlist since I dont quiet like the BRV nor do I need the additional row of seats.
Old 3rd July 2018, 13:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The SA from ford called the other day telling me that based on the customer feedback about the 17" rims leading to poor comfort, Ford has decided to move to 16" for all variants. That should improve ride comfort. If true, I like the way ford is listening to customer and making amends
After introduction of Sports and Signature variants in Ecosport lineup, 17 inchers are limited to Sports and Signature while rest of the variants gets 16 inchers.

Earlier Titanium+ used to get 17 incher as it was top variant, now that is not the case anymore.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Ruled it out during the initial shortlist since I dont quiet like the BRV nor do I need the additional row of seats.
S-Cross is a good option as well, bang in the budget of Ecosport. The only downside is it does not come with petrol engine and has national engine 1.3 Multijet diesel in it.

Last edited by varunswnt : 3rd July 2018 at 13:10.
Old 3rd July 2018, 14:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Will have a child seat as permanent fixture.
The issue is child seat on a narrow Ecosport seat, would make things very bad for the 4th passenger. On the other hand it is definitely safer for the rear passengers with 6 airbags.

If 4th or 5th passengers would not be a common occurrence, go for Ecosport. If they would be common, it would be Creta, with a compromise on rear seat safety.

I personally would still push for City, as its not a compromise on either essentials, i.e. safety or comfort, just the shape, which is not bad either.

In addition, I would very much like Hyundai to know that they lost customer by not offering AT in top variant. Hyundai wants to make customers chose between safety and convenience, and this needs to stop. They have done this with i20. Few other manufacturers in the same bracket. Up to the consumer to show what they want with their cheque books.

EDIT: It would not be an easy task, but if you don't mind second hand, search for a used Hyundai Tucson. It has AT, 6 Airbags, good space and comfortable ride.

Last edited by autorahul : 3rd July 2018 at 14:32.
Old 7th July 2018, 06:45   #30
BHPian

I read somewhere that Renault is planning to launch the Kaptur with a CVT. You may want to explore that as well.

Most Viewed