Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2018, 16:03   #16
BHPian

Mod note: Please use Multi Quote or Edit the post after approval instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks.

So my quiver consists of 9.5, 9.0, 7.2, 5.3 m sail and I have a 90 Ltr, 136 Ltr & 159 Ltr boards. Then ofcourse there are the masts booms and all the other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
If the only reason for a 3m cabin is to carry the board, which I assume is lightweight, why not consider making a custom trailer for the boards? This way you can choose a vehicle of your choice and have a much wider choice for the vehicle.
This was my first choice, I didn't pursue it because someone told me that it is impossible/extremely difficult to register a trailer with RTO in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
My next best option would be Isuzu V Cross (length = 5295 mm) with a custom roof box to fit your gear in. The box will protect the boards from the elements while the bed (with a lockable cover) could be used to store other stuff and accessories. Here is a rough sketch of what I mean.
This was may second choice but decided against it due to the height. I am using my Honda City to move stuff around and it is so much easier to load and unload from a low sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
If you are okay with a used example, what about this one?
I would love to get my hands on this. It would be so much easier to convince my wife to buy this too. I just need to show her the poster she is Dutch and I am Indian.

Last edited by ampere : 16th August 2018 at 21:47. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.; compacted quoted post
Old 10th August 2018, 16:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Van for carrying windsurf gear?

Maybe something from the Force Motors stable will only suit your need, as the rest have less than 3m cargo length, and then that won't fit your need.

Force Traveller Delivery Van Wider (available only in 3.2L Common Rail Diesel engine):-
Web Link (http://www.forcemotors.com/vehicle/t...very-van-wider)

Name:  1.png
Views: 758
Size:  292.7 KB

Van for carrying windsurf gear?-1-tech-specs.jpg
Technical Specifications

Van for carrying windsurf gear?-1-specifications.jpg
Model Specifications (especially Cargo Area Dimensions)

Force Traveller Delivery Van (available in CNG and Diesel variants):- But CNG variant's Cargo Area is smaller in length than 3m
Web Link (http://www.forcemotors.com/vehicle/t...r-delivery-van)

Name:  2.png
Views: 773
Size:  277.8 KB

Van for carrying windsurf gear?-2-tech-specs.jpg
Technical Specifications

Van for carrying windsurf gear?-2-variants.jpg
Only the 3 variants on the right will suit your length requirements of the Cargo Area

The Force Trax Delivery Van will not suit your Cargo Area need as it measures 2000mm x 1475mm x 1230mm, and so is less than your at least 3m requirement.
Name:  3.png
Views: 691
Size:  64.2 KB
Web Link (http://www.forcemotors.com/vehicle/trax-delivery-van)

Check Prices at http://www.forcemotors.com/prices
Old 10th August 2018, 17:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
If you are okay with a used example, what about this one?

Can get it pretty cheap, load it inside or on top, no worries about vandals or car thieves, nice ground clearance, add an openable rear window, repair/modify it anywhere!

Some rural areas might be having even a 4x4 version of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazchem View Post
I would love to get my hands on this. It would be so much easier to convince my wife to buy this too. I just need to show her the poster she is Dutch and I am Indian.
I too appreciate the suggestion from crdi. But you will get only very old vans in the market; will it be difficult to keep this van registered?

The suggestions to go for Safari or Isuzu V Cross also look good. If loading / unloading from a height deters you, can you fit the things in an Innova?

And how far do you expect to carry this stuff (over how many km?)
Old 16th August 2018, 21:43   #19
BHPian

Update:

Thanks so much guys for all the suggestions!

I've decided on buying a used tempo traveller. Based on what I read here and elsewhere. The pre 2007 models are pretty rugged and easy to fix.

I spoke to few guys on with listings on olx and seems that prices for these models range from 1-3 lakhs.

I am looking for private registered vans in my state (Maharashtra) at the moment as I don't want to get in the hassle of converting commercial to private nor do I want to deal with interstate transfer.

The first thing I want to do after getting the van is a engine rebuild and strip out everything in the back and repaint inside and outside.

After that make some racks for storage of the gear.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I would love to hear your suggestions.
hazchem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 11:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

A good way to go ahead. But do remember, that if you remove all the extra seats and modify the interior with the storage racks for the gear, you will have to get that changed in the RC Book, else you will be liable for challans every now and then until you get it changed. More so, because you will be keeping a Private Registration vehicle, and not a Commercial Registration vehicle. Do find out in your local RTO about these before settling down with a used Private Registration Traveller.
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 15:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maruti EECO CNG would be a perfect choice. Its 3.68m in length.
You can remove passenger side seat and utilize its full length.

Its quite easy to get as a private vehicle, cheap to maintain , easy to park and drive in Mumbai.( I assume you also need to consider parking if you stay in Mumbai? )

Have you also considered JAZZ? I remember an ad which shows surfboard neatly placed inside the car.
Old 6th September 2018, 16:34   #22
BHPian

Thanks again for all the advice. I finally ended up buying a used (2001) traveller real cheap. In fact, I took delivery of it today.

Now, here is my plan.

1) Get the engine checked (compression & leak down test) if there is a problem get the engine overhauled
2) Strip the body of paint and remove all rust patches and repaint the whole van.
3) Install racks on the van for carrying the board and other equipment.
Old 6th September 2018, 16:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Do share the pics before and after the transformation, as a Wind Surf Gear Carrying Van will be a very unique product we will see in India. I am excited to see the transformation of it already. Wishing you miles and miles of happiness with the new investment.
Old 6th September 2018, 16:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again for all the advice. I finally ended up buying a used (2001) traveller real cheap. In fact, I took delivery of it today. Now, here is my plan.
Congratulations and that sounds like a good plan. It will be great if you can document the trasformation in the possible way and share with us here. Some pics will be a great start.
Old 6th September 2018, 18:00   #25
BHPian

There you go! Just finished up the measurements. Now time to make some interior drawings.
On my wish list is
1) Racks to store gear
2) Vent fan on top
3) Bed,
4) Small pantry

Let's see what is practical.

BTW, should I start another thread for transformation or continue posting here ?

Van for carrying windsurf gear?-img_20180906_17341902.jpeg

Van for carrying windsurf gear?-img_20180906_17340301.jpeg

Van for carrying windsurf gear?-img_20180906_17345301.jpeg
Old 6th September 2018, 18:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

I guess here will be great, with the change of heading on the restoration job. Then we will have a story of how your search began to what you bought and what you turned it into all in one place!!
Old 6th September 2018, 19:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There you go! Just finished up the measurements.
Awesome. Please report your first post in this thread and ask mods to rename the title so you can continue posting in this thread itself.

Also I notice its a KA reg commercial plate. What are your plans about RTO compliance?
Old 6th September 2018, 19:47   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again for all the advice. I finally ended up buying a used (2001) traveller real cheap. In fact, I took delivery of it today.
Curious, but how do you plan to get around the yellow-board permit ? And if you are based in Bombay, then you would also need to take care of the age of the vehicle ( like if in Delhi )
Old 6th September 2018, 22:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Awesome. Please report your first post in this thread and ask mods to rename the title so you can continue posting in this thread itself.

Also I notice its a KA reg commercial plate. What are your plans about RTO compliance?
I have started the process registering it as a commercial van in Mumbai and am getting a tr license for my self for now. The agent I spoke to said it is possible to get a private registration for camper vans. So I will apply for one when the conversion is complete.

TBH, I am not sure myself how this would pan out. As I am getting different opinions from different people. Hence I am just going with the flow and being careful with howuch money I put into it before getting all paperwork straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Curious, but how do you plan to get around the yellow-board permit ? And if you are based in Bombay, then you would also need to take care of the age of the vehicle ( like if in Delhi )

I just replied to that in my previous post. AFAIK the 15 year rule is applicable only in Delhi for the moment. If things change around here then I guess I will have to scrap the van.

I think given that the next year is a election year they will not introduce that legislation given that it will piss of a bunch of people. Anyways for me I would be happy if I get two years out of this van as it is meant more as a RD project for the next one that I want to make.

Mod note: Please use Multi Quote or Edit the post after approval instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 6th September 2018 at 22:49. Reason: Merged
hazchem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 15:26   #30
BHPian

Roadblock

I received a very unpleasant surprise from the RTO agent today. It is not possible get the van registered in mumbai. This is because it is currently a LGV and registration is allowed only if it is less than 15 yrs old. If it is more than 8 yrs old it needs to be converted to CNG.

He suggests to get the NOC cancelled in KA, get it registered as a campervan there and then transfer it to Mumbai.

Would this work, I don’t trust this guy any more because I consulted him before buying the van and he never brought this potential issue up.

Assuming that this is possible, I would recommendations on good RTO agents in Bangalore who can get this work done.

Last edited by manson : 12th September 2018 at 15:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks