Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2018, 19:17   #1
BHPian

Van for carrying windsurf gear?

I am looking for advice on buying a used van. Which i can convert to carry my windsurf gear around.

The primary requirement is that the cabin space be at least 3 meters long.

This should give you all an idea of what I am talking about.

I've been thinking of the Tata Winger, but am concerned that the space might not be enough and am also worried about the build quality.

I would appreciate your suggestions on what to do.

Regards,

hazchem
hazchem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 19:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Van for carrying windsurf gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazchem View Post
I am looking for advice on buying a used van. Which i can convert to carry my windsurf gear around.
Buy a Tempo Traveller and give it to the workshops who make ambulances out of this. They will fabricate the inside furniture (MS or SS) as per your needs.

Tata Winger too is good; build quality won't be inferior. But Traveller will easier to buy, maintain and sell (in case).

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 8th August 2018 at 19:40.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 22:35   #3
BHPian

The current Winger could be small for your need. If you really want to go with Winger, you might need this. Obviously you will have to go for a brand new one = more investment.

In any case, a Traveller (12 seater) will be a better option than Winger. It has better comfort, space, GC, etc than Winger. It will be very easy to find an used Force Traveller in Mumbai. There are shops that can customize the body according to your needs.

Winger will have an advantage (comparatively) if you have issue with space for parking, need to access narrow streets etc.

Last edited by Flyer : 8th August 2018 at 22:56. Reason: Add content
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 23:01   #4
BHPian

Are you also looking at living in the van? The Tempo traveler mods would be on the lines of the Mercedes Sprinter vans that are very common with vanlifers. Tons of high quality how to videos on Sprinters by vanlife surfers and mountain bikers on YouTube. Something that I like on the Tempo Traveller is that the door is at the front by the driver, giving you a bigger cabin to work with. It has a larger roof for Solar panels. It also has enough headroom for you to walk, and large rear doors to store windsurfing gear.

What board and sail do you have? Where do you store it when you are not travelling? I have taken several windsurfing lessons in San Diego, and I love it. I am concerned about storing the sail during off-seasons when I don't use it.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 8th August 2018 at 23:07.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2018, 23:21   #5
BHPian

How about a Nissan Evalia (Ashok Leyland Stile)?
desiaztec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 00:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
How about a Nissan Evalia (Ashok Leyland Stile)?
A typical SUP board used for windsurfing is 10 to 12 ft in length. The sail can be furled, but the mast would still be around the same length. Other things like the boom can go anywhere. On a smaller van, these will need to be mounted on the roof. That will expose them to the elements, and if one is to live/camp in the van, securing the equipment can be an issue.

On a Winger or a Stile it could be stored in the place of the passenger seat. Al the way from front to back. That excludes traveling with someone. In a larger van these things can be carefully and cleanly be tucked in the back.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 10:16   #7
BANNED

Hi there.

The first thing you have to do is to check your State regulations on commercial and private registration. Usually, private registration only allowed for smaller (read seating) vans. A work around I have seen some do is to get an auctioned Govt. van. Usually Traveller.

As far as driving goes, one is like a large MPV, and the other is like a small bus. Have not tried the new CRDE Travellers, but older ones were quite crude.

The Traveller gives you more of a blank canvas to work with and the sheet metal seems lot thicker than the Winger. The Winger has some cladding and stuff inside and overall a smaller cabin. But has lower floor and better ingress.

Hope everything is as clear as mud

Happy Surfing.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 12:01   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Van for carrying windsurf gear?

Some excellent suggestions on this thread. Would just like to add that an Innova or Safari might also work, if you remove the 2nd & 3rd seat rows. Or if you need something longer, consider a Xenon or V-Cross and customise the bed.

Advantage of all of these will be that they're nicer to drive.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 12:39   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
The current Winger could be small for your need. If you really want to go with Winger, you might need this. Obviously you will have to go for a brand new one = more investment.
The Winger was available in 2 version - 9 & 12/13. OP can try the 12/13 seater versions. The 15 seater version is the latest addition to the models. but most likely will only be a yellow board version.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 13:02   #10
BHPian

If you are okay with a used example, what about this one?

Can get it pretty cheap, load it inside or on top, no worries about vandals or car thieves, nice ground clearance, add an openable rear window, repair/modify it anywhere!

Some rural areas might be having even a 4x4 version of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Van for carrying windsurf gear?-img_20180810_124808.jpg  

crdi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 13:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazchem View Post
The primary requirement is that the cabin space be at least 3 meters long.
If the only reason for a 3m cabin is to carry the board, which I assume is lightweight, why not consider making a custom trailer for the boards? This way you can choose a vehicle of your choice and have a much wider choice for the vehicle.

Something like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Finally the trailer is complete and has been brought home. It will be shipped along with the Jeep to Chandigarh where I have been posted now and hopefully the trailer and jeep shall see some camping fun these summers.
Van for carrying windsurf gear?-towed-jeep.jpg

My next best option would be Isuzu V Cross (length = 5295 mm) with a custom roof box to fit your gear in. The box will protect the boards from the elements while the bed (with a lockable cover) could be used to store other stuff and accessories. Here is a rough sketch of what I mean.
Van for carrying windsurf gear?-isuzuvcross02.jpg
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 13:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
An awesome vehicle. It will be very difficult to find one in good condition. Most of these which are for sale now will need a lot of maintenance to keep it running regularly.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 14:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
If you are okay with a used example, what about this one?

I doubt these would be available now - at least in re-usable state ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
My next best option would be Isuzu V Cross (length = 5295 mm) with a custom roof box to fit your gear in. The box will protect the boards from the elements .. ]
Carrying something on top can possibly mean violation of body dimensions. The carrier on top would be outside approved dimensions of the vehicle.
Old 10th August 2018, 14:20   #14
BHPian

Looking at you requirements I would suggest something from a Force Trax lineup. The G-Wagon 'inspired' robust, abuse friendly, multipurpose vehicle that fits the bill. Find a used one on OLX & get it customized as per requirements and to differentiate it a little from thousands of cabs running around. Won't feel odd or mini bus like a Traveller too. A car that could easily swallow 10ft-12ft long surf boards without needing any modifications, apart from removing the seats (if you don't go for the cargo/delivery van version).

http://www.forcemotors.com/commercial-vehicles
Attached Thumbnails
Van for carrying windsurf gear?-commercial_trax_cruiser_deluxe_mobile.png  

Van for carrying windsurf gear?-commercial_trax_delivery_van_mobile.png  

Last edited by wrongturn : 10th August 2018 at 14:21.
Old 10th August 2018, 14:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Carrying something on top can possibly mean violation of body dimensions. The carrier on top would be outside approved dimensions of the vehicle.
What about people using roof boxes, carriers? Are those illegal as well? I think not. Many cars come with provisions to attach roof racks, cycle carriers and more.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed