Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 3rd September 2018, 17:32   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Advice on choosing a performance-oriented car <15 lakhs

IMO, a preowned Polo GTi is the best option for you.

VW sold the GTis for 19-20 lac on-road. 14-16 lacs could be a reasonable offer for a GTI, and it would meet your criteria perfectly.

And it'd also be eligible for a 7-year warranty top-up.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 17:34   #17
Team-BHP Support

1. A used Skoda Octavia TDI DSG. Remap to 170BHP and you will have an insanely fun car. Dynamics are not the best.

2. Laura TSI petrol for 5-6L. Might be difficult to find and that too manual only. Remap and stage 2 mods to ~220BHP.

3. Used 3 series. Might not get for 15L for a clean and well maintained one.

4. Used Jetta. Remap to 170BHP. If you can get the DSG then even that can be remapped.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 17:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Diesel recommendations:
1. Figo/Aspire TDCi - Wonderful cars with a great engine. Stock itself is powerful, with a remap will be on beast mode
2. S-Cross 1.6 - Second hand specimens are going for almost 60% of the original cost. Again, with a remap, will be a hoot.

Both these though, fall well within your budget, so it is very understandable if you feel it is a rung down from what you are expecting. Just suggestions though :-). Also, taking these vehicles to ~200 HP would be very difficult I suppose
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 17:46   #19
BHPian

The operative part of your requirement is reliability.

This rules out USED Skodas, VW's, BMW's and everything else German unless gambling is your favourite pastime.

That leaves mainly the Japs and Koreans.

The latest Hyundai Verna, Fiat Abarth Punto, Fiat 1.4 Multijet, Used S Cross 1.6 and the Baleno RS are cars that have a fair degree of performance.

200 Bhp along with reliability and performance? Forget it!
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 18:52   #20
BHPian

Pre-owned Jetta Highline DSG 2.0 TDI. Maintenance should be around 15-20k per year.
DQ 250 is fairly reliable & Pete's remap would work like charm.
Old 3rd September 2018, 19:40   #21
BHPian

MT Hyundai Sonatas from 2013 are available for around 7 lakh. These had 198 bhp stock.

The soft on-road feel can be fixed to an extent by spending on aftermarket suspension. Little can be done (I assume) about the steering feel, however.

Note: I know power alone doth not a performance car make. I am just trying to work within the brief, here!

Last edited by vipul_singh : 3rd September 2018 at 19:43.
vipul_singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 20:37   #22
BHPian

If you want German road manners with reliability then the only thing that comes close is a 320d. Look for a e90 LCI, there are plenty of them in your budget. The stock car is a perfect recipe for a fun to drive car. A remap will make it even better. It has a pure hydraulic steering which is one of the best in class. Before all this look for a competent FNG who can work on these cars and source parts when required.
Old 3rd September 2018, 22:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
What about a 2010-12 age E90 320d? I don't have experience in maintaining an old bmw, perhaps other members such as lamborghini may chime in , but i believe the maintenance and repair costs should stay under 100k a year even with a few wear tear parts or even some failures. The car itself should be under 8-9 lacs.

But something to think would be the comfort level would be lesser than laura.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Since you can go up to 15 lakhs, a used 320d is just perfect. Quick, fun & reliable. Also consider used Jettas & Octavias.

Lucky shot = call Mini / BMW dealers and see if anyone has a used previous-gen Cooper S. You'll be smiling in your sleep while owning one.
I can't afford a BMW/Mini it seems due to maintenance/repair costs. I'm hoping to stay within 25K INR /year for maintenance, 50K in a worst case scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksterraghu View Post
Reminds me of the fast, reliable and cheap equation. If you want the first two, the third can't co-exist with them; it's an either-or with cheap.

First the 1.2, if you need a powerful 200 BHP car under 15 lakh, a GT TSI will never work for you. There is no way you will live with that much power that the 1.2 makes even for the small hatch; remap, exhaust, everything considered.

Second the 1.4, a Punto Abarth or Octavia/Jetta 1.4 TSI also cannot be taken to the 200 BHP level unless you make serious modifications like turbo swap - which I do not see in your preferred modifications. Also, they are quite heavy so the 1.4 will always be a compromise. Believe me, once you drive a tuned 1.8 TSI after owning a 1.2 or 1.4, you WILL sell your car.

So, your choices are Laura TSI, Cruze, E90 320d/325i/330i - all of which are or can be taken to the 200 BHP mark. Now the Laura is manual (mostly), Cruze doesn't have a petrol variant and BMWs are ridiculously expensive to maintain should something go wrong - something will go wrong because they are 8-10 year olds that we are talking about. The same problem will continue even if you extend your budget and buy a used A3/A4 TFSI, plus the DSG risk.

Since you are ok with a manual, want low maintenance and good reliability, just buy a used Laura TSI, get the modifications done. It is a pretty reliable car, having owned both TSI and vRS I can tell you there is no better VFM in the performance segment. BHP per lakh is the highest, parts are relatively cheap, gearbox has no issues and you could even take it to much more than 200 BHP which isn't the case with the other options I have mentioned.
Thank you for the detailed options, I came to a similar conclusion and have a stock Laura 1.8 TSI/MT (50K km) lined up for 5 lakhs. Planning to do a dealer check-up and get it when the owner returns in December.

I have a few doubts about ownership transfer that I hope someone could answer or point to an appropriate thread (read this thread (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India) but it does not mention ownership transfer procedures):

1. Do I need to obtain an NOC from seller's RTO/Police for intra-state (different district/cities) ownership transfer?

2. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, do I have to register the car with a new number at my RTO or keep the old number and simply change the ownership name in the RC? If its the latter, would I need to do it at the seller's RTO or my RTO?

Last edited by Light : 3rd September 2018 at 23:06. Reason: better phrasing of question.
Old 3rd September 2018, 23:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Used Volvo S60 2012 with a polestar should reach about 300 BHP, right? Used car prices should be around 15L? I would look at that at those prices. You can get the polestar remap done from Volvo itself?

I might be way off with my used car prices, though
govigov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 01:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
I can't afford a BMW/Mini it seems due to maintenance/repair costs. I'm hoping to stay within 25K INR /year for maintenance, 50K in a worst case scenario.

Thank you for the detailed options, I came to a similar conclusion and have a stock Laura 1.8 TSI/MT (50K km) lined up for 5 lakhs. Planning to do a dealer check-up and get it when the owner returns in December.
You think the first one will cost >25K annually and the second one will not?
How old is it? My spidey sense says probably not!

+1 for the Hyundai sonata/elantras. They should be a slightly dulled version of the skoda with hopefully better reliability, and since depreciation is not so kind to koreans in this segment, you should get good deal on them

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th September 2018 at 15:01. Reason: Formatting quoted post
Old 4th September 2018, 11:25   #26
BHPian

I would suggest you to look for preowned volvo S60 D5 or T6 which has around 204 BHP and 300 BHP respectively. This car meets your requirements of fast, reliable and lower maintenance costs compared to german rivals. Just go through the official review of volvo s60 T6 by GTO, you would get clear picture of the car and its capabilities.
harish619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2018, 11:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

A few hard to find in the used market European models should work for your budget and requirements
1) Audi A3
2) Volvo V40/S60
3) Mercedes GLA 180
4) Mini Cooper S

If not, (as many suggested) a used Octavia or Jetta TDI DSG should fit the bill.
Old 4th September 2018, 13:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Both these though, fall well within your budget, so it is very understandable if you feel it is a rung down from what you are expecting. Just suggestions though :-). Also, taking these vehicles to ~200 HP would be very difficult I suppose
HUGE bulky sedans with 200 bhp will not be much faster than an remapped Figo. Plus hatchbacks are more fun on tight twisties.

I would recommend Figo with remap and tyre upgrade with your budget even more mods can be done to make it more fun, plus the fun of buying a brand new car.
Old 6th September 2018, 18:55   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Used Volvo S60 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by harish619 View Post
I would suggest you to look for preowned volvo S60
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
A few hard to find in the used market European models should work for your budget and requirements
1) Audi A3
2) Volvo V40/S60
3) Mercedes GLA 180
4) Mini Cooper S

If not, (as many suggested) a used Octavia or Jetta TDI DSG should fit the bill.
Friends, thank you for your inputs. I have decided to go with Laura (Octavia 1Z facefift, 2010 model) 1.8 TSI/MT.

Reasons for not considering Volvo S60, Mini Cooper S, Audis, BMWs:
1. Lack of familiarity: unknown maintenance issues and repair costs.
2. And most importantly, they all cost almost the entirety of my stretch budget leaving little to none for repairs/maintenance (which there will be I guess in a premium European car of 8-10 years of age).
3. Expensive repairs? I assume low volume cars (esp. premium European ones) to be significantly more expensive than a mainstream Laura/Octavia.

Reasons for considering Laura/Octavia:
1. Familiarity: I understand the common issues with a 2010 Skoda like wheel speed sensor failures, check engine light/exhaust system fault due to faulty MAF/O2 sensor/breather valve, I already have VAG-COM/VCDS diagnostics tool. After talking with seller, the only other issue he faced in 8 years was a coolant leakage which was fixed and never happened again.
2. And most importantly, it costs only 5 lakhs and has everything I need except ESP. I like the stock car's dynamics (handling/comfort), engine is easy to remap through OBD2 port increasing power/torque to 220 bhp/350 Nm (0-100 in ~7 seconds ).
3. Known repair costs, TSI engine is fairly reliable (seller reports no excessive oil consumption unlike our Superb's), no auto transmission/DCT to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
HUGE bulky sedans with 200 bhp will not be much faster than an remapped Figo. Plus hatchbacks are more fun on tight twisties.

I would recommend Figo with remap and tyre upgrade with your budget even more mods can be done to make it more fun, plus the fun of buying a brand new car.
I have heard good things about Figo diesel but do not want to consider a diesel vehicle or a new car (due to heavy depreciation loss). I haven't driven many vehicles but I can attest to absolutely loving the free revving 1.8 TSI.
Light is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2018, 01:47   #30

Friends, I hate to disappoint but after some careful consideration I decided to simply modify the Superb 1.8 TSI/DSG that I'm currently driving. This made the most financial sense since I do not have to spend money on another car (I just have to maintain/repair an 8 year old Skoda with known powertrain issues ). Longer term I doubt the DSG would hold up but it still leaves me plenty of budget to replace the DSG and then some. Technically its not my car, more like a free lease from my father; if you're looking for used Superbs they're only slightly more expensive than a Laura at 5-7 lakhs.

Mods done on the Superb:
1. New tires, changed from OEM Good year Eagle NCT to Michelin Primacy 205/55 R16 = 36K INR; hugely improved ride comfort and braking, handling not as good as Eagle NCT
2. Stage 1 ECU remap from Wolf moto: 25K INR
3. Stage 1 DSG remap from Wolf: 15K INR (offer since both were done same day)

0-100 kph in 7.4s +- 0.3s as measured by VCDS. Rajiv from Wolf moto tells me it may not be very accurate, we did a test run with Dragy and managed only 8.06s.

Repairs planned:
1. Horn: sounding muted since today
2. Rear right brake light (shorted since there was a small crack in the exterior housing)
3. Wheel logos for rear wheels.

Advice on choosing a performance-oriented car <15 lakhs-tune-results.jpeg
VCDS acceleration results

Advice on choosing a performance-oriented car <15 lakhs-wolf-superb-vehicle-number-hidden.jpeg
Exterior shot, 100% stock hardware.

The Laura 1.8 TSI/MT is a faster, more fun car so enthusiasts on a budget do have good options in the used car market. If nothing else, I hope this thread spotlights some oft overlooked Indian-performance cars.
Light is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed