Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2018, 11:54   #46
BANNED

Re: The next car purchase dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Too general a statement. My own experience with my Yeti at Vinayak Skoda Service has been consistently good these last 7 years of ownership.
This bad ASS and kick ASS (no pun intended) experience depends on dealer as well as on the location. My father had an Alto for 4 years and been using a WagonR for last 10 years. As people say, I also thought the service experience that I am getting from Maruti is out of this world. But after owning a Honda City and experiencing he level of enthusiasm and professionalism from Honda service from different dealers in Kerala have made me understand that the Maruti experience was nothing more than a usual FNG experience. Even a Brio (cheapest offering from Honda) owner gets the same treatment as I have experienced. So it all depends on the dealer culture, and the culture of the service advisers.

Last edited by pavi : 9th November 2018 at 11:55.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2018, 05:44   #47
BHPian

Hi guys, sorry for not updating the thread from a long time as I've been extremely busy with work and other commitments. I have again delayed the purchase for the vehicle as my C200 got totaled recently hence, looking for it's replacement at the moment. Nonetheless, I've made up my mind regarding my next car under the 10 lakh bracket. It's going to be the ravishing new Tigor JTP eyes closed.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 13:39   #48
BHPian

Even I am looking to buy my next car within/under a limit of 10L.
I have taken TDs of Tigor JTP, Honda Amaze(D) & WRV(P) and Ford Aspire(D). Of these I have found the Ford Aspire to be the best.
Tigor JTP TD was quite a bad experience owing to the lacklustre attitude of Tata salespersons and the fact that I was given only 10 mins for the TD.

So currently the favourite is Ford Aspire followed by WRV.
Would definitely need some help from fellow members to narrow down a sub 4m sedan or SUV.

Requirements are: Safety, Space and Power.
Anything else that I should look out for?

Regards,
A.
Old 3rd December 2018, 15:53   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
Even I am looking to buy my next car within/under a limit of 10L.
Apart from the ones you have listed above, check out the Nexon diesel too. The car is very safe, will provide better space than your current favourite Aspire (D) and the 110 ps diesel will satisfy your need of power too.

Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd December 2018 at 16:02. Reason: compacted quoted post
DPetrolHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 19:26   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
Apart from the ones you have listed above, check out the Nexon diesel too.
I TD'ed the Nexon diesel AMT today and loved it. It is much much better than the petrol AMT.
While the XZ+ is quite out of my extended budget, the XZ misses out on a couple of functions that I would love to have e.g. adjustable rear seat headrests, rear defogger etc.
Thanks for the suggestion. One more option to confuse me.

Regards,
A.
Old 3rd December 2018, 20:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
I TD'ed the Nexon diesel AMT today and loved it. It is much much better than the petrol AMT.
You are welcome sir!
And I guess you are talking about XMA and XZA+ variant since Nexon diesel Amt doesn't come in XZ.
But I guess it will be worth the stretch to XZA+ since XMA loses a lot of features and with the year end discounts and some bargaining, you might get yourself a pretty good deal

Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 3rd December 2018 at 21:40. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 4th December 2018, 02:21   #52
BHPian

Quote:
You are welcome sir!
And I guess you are talking about XMA and XZA+ variant since Nexon diesel Amt doesn't come in XZ.
Hello DPetrolHead, Actually TDed both the XZA+ (D) and XZ+ (P) of Nexon. Having driven the Diesel AMT first, the Petrol Manual didn't feel as inspiring. But it wasn't bad. The power delivery of Diesel AMT felt much more matured and linear with almost no lag and no head nods during gear shifts.

So now I will have to TD the Ecosport and make up my mind and come up with a price-wise list.

Ohh I also have the Aspire, Freestyle and Amaze on my list.
Confusions and confusions.
Old 4th December 2018, 02:49   #53
BHPian

Hello ayankm, if you are open to manuals then even EcoSport diesel would be a great, although it might come short in terms of space compared to Nexon but the driveability and dynamics are superior of the EcoSport.

Out of curiosity, which car do you currently drive?
Old 4th December 2018, 23:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Out of curiosity, which car do you currently drive?

I drive a Hyundai Eon 1.0L
Old 12th January 2019, 14:00   #55
BHPian

I'm looking to buy a car that will be used for city commute and the occasional trip outside the city. It will mainly be used by my wife but I will be driving it occasionally too.

i'm looking for a petrol car under Rs 8 lakhs on road with all (or most) of the following features:
  • Adjustable headrest for both front and rear seats [love to have this]
  • Reverse Camera [mandatory]
  • Apple Auto or Android car play [optional I suppose]
  • Fuel efficient
  • Low maintenance and/or service costs

I narrowed down on Ignis sometime during December as it I thought checked a lot of boxes but then for some reason, the deal couldn't be done back then.

I'm not in a rush to buy the car but I would like to start looking at my options.

Some of the Maruti dealers suggested that I buy the VXI model (swift) and then get the reverse camera added on from them at the time of delivery. Is that something that is commonly done? Or is it another of the dealer's money making schemes?
Old 12th January 2019, 14:21   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I'm looking to buy a car that will be used for city commute and the occasional trip outside the city. It will mainly be used by my wife but I will be driving it occasionally too.

i'm looking for a petrol car under Rs 8 lakhs on road with all (or most) of the following features:
I think the Tata Tiago XZ+ suits your requirements the best since it is one of the few cars in the segment to have adjustable rear headrests. It comes decently loaded too and the good build quality ensures safety on the highway. If you want a little more power, have a look at the JTP twins.

Quote:
Some of the Maruti dealers suggested that I buy the VXI model (swift) and then get the reverse camera added on from them at the time of delivery. Is that something that is commonly done? Or is it another of the dealer's money making schemes?
As far as I know, Maruti does offer rear camera as a genuine accessory so you can get it fitted from the dealer without voiding the warranty. Also it not uncommon to have these fitted at the dealer level and is done by a lot of people. However, do get it verified if the unit being fitted by the dealer is an MGA product or a cheap 3rd party accessory.

Cheers!
Old 12th January 2019, 15:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
I think the Tata Tiago XZ+ suits your requirements the best since it is one of the few cars in the segment to have adjustable rear headrests. It comes decently loaded too and the good build quality ensures safety on the highway. If you want a little more power, have a look at the JTP twins.
Tiago XZ+ is definitely one of the cars I'm looking at. However, I don't think it comes with a rear camera - I looked at the brochure and a couple of youtube videos and all seem to suggest that it comes with "parking assist" which is more like a sensor with a field view but not a real camera.

Plus I'm not sure how the NVH levels are - the Tata engine from the outside produces a bit of noise and I would like to see how much it affects inside.

I understand that a quick drive test would help assess all of these but I wanted to get some thoughts from experts here first.

Also, how does the Ignis compare to the Tiago in terms of the driving comfort? Are the two cars in the same segment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
As far as I know, Maruti does offer rear camera as a genuine accessory so you can get it fitted from the dealer without voiding the warranty. Also it not uncommon to have these fitted at the dealer level and is done by a lot of people. However, do get it verified if the unit being fitted by the dealer is an MGA product or a cheap 3rd party accessory.

Cheers!
Cheers, will check whether the fitment is a MGA.
Old 12th January 2019, 18:23   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

• Fuel efficient
I narrowed down on Ignis sometime during December as it I thought checked a lot of boxes but then for some reason, the deal couldn't be done back then.

I'm not in a rush to buy the car but I would like to start looking at my options.

Pretty much the same dilemna I am in. Difference being, I am looking for a replacement of my parent's '06 Alto. It has taken me more than a year already, and I am still not sure which car to put my money on.

So far I have visited Maruti, Nexa, Tata, Hyundai, Datsun (yes, Datsun) and Ford.

I did like the Tiago, but the petrol engine is lacklustre compared to the ones you get in Maruti - Ignis for example is much better, engine wise.

After all the looking around, I feel it will either be Ignis or the Freestyle. Ignis, if my folks feel comfortable with the AMT or Freestyle if they decide to stick with MT. Given the lesser running, I don't think AT/MT would matter much for them - but am still waiting for their opinions.

One big drawback with the Ignis is, overall cabin feel (due to the decade old knobs) doesn't give me the feeling of an 'upgrade'. It practically uses the same AC controls as their 12-year old Alto! (Delta/Zeta AMT - I can't fathom paying over 8 lakhs for Alpha AMT). OTOH, Freestyle's cabin feels a lot more modern. And ofcourse, theres the class leading safety feature list - ABS, 6 Airbags, ESP, HLA, TCS, ARP. There is also a whole host of feel good things like Android Auto, Auto AC, Auto Wipers, Auto Headlamps, Rear sensors/camera etc. At ~8 lakhs on-road Delhi - it definitely feels the best bang for the buck. Do check it out if you haven't yet.
Old 12th January 2019, 19:57   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Tiago XZ+ is definitely one of the cars I'm looking at. However, I don't think it comes with a rear camera - I looked at the brochure and a couple of Youtube videos and all seem to suggest that it comes with "parking assist" which is more like a sensor with a field view but not a real camera.
Yes but personally I feel that the build quality and other features compensate the lack of NVH and rear camera.

Additionally, you can also look at the Hyundai Grand i10. The Sportz(O) variant comes with an AT as well as a rear camera and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. Also with the next generation expected soon, there are some huge discounts going on. Hyundai after sales support is also excellent. The only downside here I think, is that it doesn't get adjustable headrests

Cheers!
Old 12th January 2019, 20:36   #60
BHPian

Quote:

• Fuel efficient
Considering you live in Pune and the car is manual, check out the following options:

1. Tata Tiago Revotron XZ+ : VFM, would check almost all the boxes except fuel economy and ASS is a hit or miss.
2. Maruti Suzuki Swift ZXI/ZXI+: Ideal car for you IMO according to your requirements, also the ladies generally have a major liking for the car especially in red colour The ZXI retails around 7.75L OTR Pune and ZXI+ around 8.6L OTR Pune. Check the link below by CarToq according to which the Swift is offered with a maximum discount of 50k. Throw in some good bargaining or maybe try for a MY2018 model and you can upgrade to ZXI+ for its touchscreen, factory fitted rear camera and those lovely LED headlights and alloy wheels. If I were in your shoes, I would have gone with this.
https://www.cartoq.com/maruti-swift-ciaz-discounts/

3. Ford Freestyle Titanium/ Plus: Another great car, really VFM but it doesn't come with rear adjustable headrests I guess and not sure about its fuel economy.
4. Maruti Suzuki Ignis Alpha: Already ruled out I think but a great option for your requirements.

Since you are not in a hurry, you can also wait for the Ford Figo hatchback which has a facelift due and will be even cheaper than the Freestyle!
Hope this helps! Happy Shopping

Cheers!

Last edited by DPetrolHead : 12th January 2019 at 20:58. Reason: More Information Added

Most Viewed