Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2019, 20:34   #76
BHPian

Re: The next car purchase dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Please do help me with your guidance
Rs.7 lakhs for a used small car is a lot of money. My advice, BUY NEW.

When you have a tendency to keep your cars for long, go for the reliable brands. I owned cars from Maruti, Tata, Ford and Honda stable. My recommendation would be Maruti’s and Hyundai’s. Post seven or eight years cars ask for interesting expenditures. Trust me, known devils are better in that case.

The availability and reasonable cost of spares coupled with great ASS presence, will be a blessing. The services of competent FNG will make it even better. Further, resale value after all those years will still be something meaningful.

Go for Santro Sports AMT(discounts possible) or Nios Magna AMT (the budget stretch is worth it).

Last edited by aah78 : 8th October 2019 at 19:43. Reason: Quote trimmed.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 00:59   #77
BHPian

We're currently looking to buy a car for my better half who currently drives an Alto. She prefers cars with a smaller foot print, and during our first test drive of the EcoSport, she wasn't very comfortable although I loved the EcoSport. After that, we tested the Ignis, WagonR and Brezza. Of these, the Brezza was the favourite. Now if only the Brezza came in petrol, I wouldn't be needing to write this, but I digress.

I finally convinced my wife to drive my sx4 and after some initial hesitation, she got quite comfortable with it. So then we tested the S-Cross and Verna and liked both. We actually almost settled on the Verna 1.6 petrol. However, I've been reading about reliability issues in the current generation Verna that has been making me think twice, besides my wife still feels that sedans are too long

If I have to list down my priorities, these would be:
1) Reliability. No German/Tata/Skoda, no turbos, no GDI engines.
2) Safety. Strong shell, good brakes, good tyres. Good headlights.
3) Ability to handle bad roads.
4) Decent engine and handling.
5) Comfortable
6) Features like good AC, good headlights, reverse camera.
7) Manual transmission.

The car will be with us for a long time. The cars currently on our radar are:
1) EcoSport
2) Brezza if a petrol version can come soon enough
3) Verna
4) Creta petrol

We'll be checking out the Ciaz and XL6 soon.

Your advice would be most welcome and much appreciated.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th October 2019 at 19:45. Reason: Typos.
Old 6th October 2019, 06:40   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendream View Post
Rs.7 lakhs for a used small car is a lot of money.My advice, BUY NEW.

Go for Santro sports AMT(discounts possible) or Nios magna AMT (the budget stretch is worth it).
Thanks folks. I will pursue a new vehicle. Given that I need a really small vehicle i10 is one option. The other option I am debating is the newly launched Kwid. Any feedback from Kwid owners will be really helpful
Cheers
Subra
Old 6th October 2019, 08:34   #79
BHPian

Try to avoid AMT if you want jerk free gear gear changes, smooth creeping and maintenance free experience.
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 09:38   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Thanks folks. I will pursue a new vehicle. Given that I need a really small vehicle i10 is one option. The other option I am debating is the newly launched Kwid. Any feedback from Kwid owners will be really helpful
Cheers
Subra
Grand i10 automatic and fuel efficiency DONT go hand in hand, although a better car than Santro in most aspects.
Kwid is a good car but small niggles and quality of after sales is a let down. As you have the budget, try and go for next segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Try to avoid AMT if you want jerk free gear gear changes, smooth creeping and maintenance free experience.
Hyundai’s AMTs have raised the bar. The jerks although present are well under control, creep function is as good as traditional automatics and AMT is inherently low maintenance.
greendream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 13:07   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Grand i10 automatic and fuel efficiency DONT go hand in hand, although a better car than Santro in most aspects.
Kwid is a good car but small niggles and quality of after sales is a let down. As you have the budget, try and go for next segment.
Is hyundai still selling the grand i10 AT with torque converter? The price list from Hyundai dealer I got last week only shows the manual variants.

Quote:
Hyundai’s AMTs have raised the bar. The jerks although present are well under control, creep function is as good as traditional automatics and AMT is inherently low maintenance.
This is true. Hyundai's AMT are definitely much closer to traditional autos in terms of smoothness under gentle driving conditions. My current drive is a Jazz CVT and last week I got to test drive the i10 Nios sportz AMT in city traffic for 7Kms and it was almost as smooth as the CVT. There is a slight half-a-second pause when shifting up from 2nd to 3rd but it is not a big deal. Down shifts are pretty seamless. Under heavy acceleration the head-nod is more pronounced but the hyundai AMT is just fine for the city conditions. I reset the real-time FE in the MID at the start of my drive and at the end of the drive it was showing 11kmpl. The drive was through thick city traffic with some bumper2bumper crawling.

I have also driven the Nexon AMT for a week and it is much more jerky compared to Hyundai AMT and I especially found the creep not very smooth and difficult to control.

Last edited by praveen_v : 6th October 2019 at 13:13. Reason: typo
praveen_v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 19:34   #82
BHPian

Quote:
..AMT is inherently low maintenance.
Sorry, do not agree here. Traditional autoboxes have creep feature by design (torque converter). AMT and DSG mimic this behaviour by slipping the clutch. AMT requires clutch plate replacement as any ordinary manual boxes (even earlier than manual, in some cases as they tend to slip the clutch and be in 2nd gear in bumper-to-bumper traffic).
Torque Converter based gearbox are mostly sealed for life, or are serviced at 60-70k.

Also, a AMT based system is smooth when the clutch is new. As the clutch wears, the system becomes jerky. A conventional AT is smooth even after years of operation.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 6th October 2019 at 19:37.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 18:17   #83
VPL

Hello Team,

Greetings of the day to all.

Its a Big Big Confusion And would love to get inputs from team mates if ever they have experienced or been in this kinda situation as mine.

I was happily driving Honda Accord MT 2.4 since last four years, and sold it last month.

Now i unable to decide on what should be my next car in terms of cabin space, power , comfort, and would like to try a SUV.

My Choices which my family is against is Auto Fortuner (2nd hand) or Crysta (2nd hand) reason i dont have a parking within my building but have a safe space outside in private complex. Brand new is completely out of my budget for these two toyota models.

The reasons i had shortlisted these are.
a) They are good Japanese Suv with good room space and features.
b) Low on maintenance I believe.
c) Within my budget.
d) parking issue.

Now is it worth spending 15L for a second hand Fortuner also making my family upset is the big question, As they want me to go for KIA SELTOS.

And my no of KIA Seltos for now is.
a) no parking space within my building.
b) automatic cost is a little over budget and i might have to settle for manual.
c) Korean Vs Japanese threat, as we are yet to get reviews of after sales, service and performance of it.
d) it would be again a 4-5 seater, while there would not be any upgrade from Honda Accord is what i see.

My Family is 2 + 2 kids + 2 parents, and we seldom all go out together, my run per day is not more than 5-10kms.

Would appreciate to get more inputs / options / suggestions
a) Whether to go for 2nd hand Fortuner or Brand New Seltos.
b) Automatic or Manual.
c) Diesel Or Petrol since my running is low.
d) My budget is not more than 14-15L

Thanks In Advance Buddies.
Old 8th October 2019, 20:22   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPL View Post

Would appreciate to get more inputs / options / suggestions
a) Whether to go for 2nd hand Fortuner or Brand New Seltos.
b) Automatic or Manual.
c) Diesel Or Petrol since my running is low.
d) My budget is not more than 14-15L

Thanks In Advance Buddies.
A. A pre owned Innova will make more sense considering your family.

B. That's a personal preference. Automatics are the need of the hour though.

C. Petrol- Since your running is very less. Infact I would say use Ola/Uber and rent out for occasional family outing

D. Innova Pre owned petrol shall fit your budget easily. The difficulty is to find one. Innova petrol wasn't sold in as many numbers as the Diesel one.

You can also look for a new XL6 or Ertiga.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2019, 23:31   #85
BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

To all respected viewers of this thread,

I am looking for a car in the D1 segment to self drive. The car has to be a petrol automatic, decently pleasurable to drive and has to be reliable. The car is going to be a secondary one only being used 4 to 5 times a week. Total mileage per month won't exceed 400 Kms under general circumstances. 70% of the driving is going to be inside Mumbai. Maximum budget is 25L OTR. Immediate availability will be great. Currently, I'm looking at the Civic and the Jeep Compass. But I've been told that there is no stock available for the Jeep.

Kindly share your opinions.
Old 21st October 2019, 07:05   #86
BHPian

Re: The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
To all respected viewers of this thread,

I am looking for a car in the D1 segment to self drive. The car has to be a petrol automatic, decently pleasurable to drive and has to be reliable. The car is going to be a secondary one only being used 4 to 5 times a week. Total mileage per month won't exceed 400 Kms under general circumstances. 70% of the driving is going to be inside Mumbai. Maximum budget is 25L OTR. Immediate availability will be great. Currently, I'm looking at the Civic and the Jeep Compass. But I've been told that there is no stock available for the Jeep.

Kindly share your opinions.
Corolla Altis. It is highly reliable and decently pleasurable to drive as your requirement.

Petrol automatic top end shall be under 25 Lakhs. After sales service is the best and the car may also outlive the owner if maintained well
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 07:38   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Corolla Altis. It is highly reliable and decently pleasurable to drive as your requirement.

Petrol automatic top end shall be under 25 Lakhs. After sales service is the best and the car may also outlive the owner if maintained well
Thanks for your suggestion. But the Corolla sold in India is OLD. And to be honest, I don't think the performance on offer will satisfy my dad let alone my 18 year old self.
Old 21st October 2019, 08:38   #88
BHPian

Quote:

If I look at the D1 segment cars and compare with C segment, I don't find much difference. Internal space in Ciaz, City, Sunny is almost the same as Altis and others. Primary difference seems to be bigger engine, which requires a bigger engine bay. So I think additional space goes towards a larger bonnet and boot. Doesn't seem justified to pay 30-50% more for just a bigger engine. What am I missing? Or is this the reason the D1 segment sedans are selling so less?
pseudo_coder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 08:48   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Thanks for your suggestion. But the Corolla sold in India is OLD. And to be honest, I don't think the performance on offer will satisfy my dad let alone my 18 year old self.
The way you wrote made me think you are 45. Looking for a 25L car at the age of 18 is now making me envy of you ;-)

In this case Octavia would be the best bet

@pseudo_coder : You are right to an extent. But in India the bigger the car better the societal status

Moreover, now the pricing of say a Verna Top end is close to Elantra base model. Hence people who have a budget of say 20 Lakhs would rather go with Verna top end with all bells and whistles than an Elantra base model.

With regards to space, I don't think they are same. There is better space management in cars like Civic, Corolla and Elantra over City, Yaris and Verna.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 21st October 2019 at 08:55.
Old 21st October 2019, 09:24   #90
BHPian

Quote:
The way you wrote made me think you are 45. Looking for a 25L car at the age of 18 is now making me envy of you ;-)

In this case Octavia would be the best bet
I've been accused of being a old soul before. The Octavia tugs at my heartstrings like nothing else in this segment. But with the DQ200 horror stories, it will be pretty hard to convince dad to invest his hard-earned money in it. Besides that, we will also have to stretch the budget to fit it in. Are there any ongoing discounts on the L&K 1.8?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks