Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2018, 00:35   #31
BHPian

Re: The next car purchase dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by vDragon3 View Post
Aspire facelift should be a complete package in my view. I am guessing prices will be same as the current version so titanium plus will be 40k more than the freestyle. So for this money you could get leather seats, rear adjustable headrests, rear armrest, bigger boot, 174 ground clearance is decent enough I suppose. Considering my height 6.1 and having traveled in aspire rental cabs, I find it more comfortable with my driving position and rear leg room to be sufficient.
So if I was to choose I would go with Aspire facelift as it ticks comfort, all safety features, if build quality improves by additional 50kgs a bonus, ride quality better than EcoSport, maybe new colours.
Would go with Freestyle if delivery is required sooner.
I have a similar feeling, also I guess the Aspire will be available in the Automatic trim from the launch owing to the spy pictures. Hence, if priced well it would be an excellent value for money when compared to Amaze. Fingers crossed.
Moreover, I've decided to wait for sometime and will take a call between Freestyle, Tiago JTP and Aspire as am not in a hurry because my Civic is performing quite decently. It's just that the car is a little big for the every day hustle in urban conditions.

Last edited by YashD : 18th September 2018 at 00:36.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 10:14   #32
BHPian

Car upgrade in the plan. Usual contemplation follows:

Current drive is a Swift ZXI 2015 with 40K kms run, but in good condition. Most of the 40k kms are run on the highway.

Why update? - Kids grown up; need more space for both people and luggage. Safety is now a priority with ever increasing highway runs. Almost 10k kms or more per year on highways.

Budget - 15L. Max.

Requirement - Automatic/Good AMT, SUV/MUV (Compact or other) for high GC, Safety is priority (Good crash test ratings, Structural Stability, ABS, EBD, airbags (more the better), etc), space for luggage, and seating for four adults. ICE and related gizmos not a consideration or deal breaker.

Contenders - Ecosport Titanium Petrol Automatic and Nexon XZA Diesel AMT.

Question - Which is better among these two? I am biased towards Ecosport due to safety features and convenience of a conventional automatic it offers. Good decision? Any other car that should be considered (No Maruti for sure. No Hyundai due to personal liking factors and budget constraints (read Creta))? Any good advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 8th November 2018, 12:26   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post

Current drive is a Swift ZXI 2015 with 40K kms run, but in good condition. Most of the 40k kms are run on the highway.

Why update? - Kids grown up; need more space for both people and luggage. Safety is now a priority with ever increasing highway runs. Almost 10k kms or more per year on highways.

Question - Which is better among these two? I am biased towards Ecosport due to safety features and convenience of a conventional automatic it offers. Good decision? Any other car that should be considered (No Maruti for sure. No Hyundai due to personal liking factors and budget constraints (read Creta))? Any good advice is greatly appreciated.
I think you have almost made up your mind on Ecosport which is a good selection. But as you mentioned about 'space', I don't think Ecosport can provide a very different (read increased) space at rear when compared to your Swift. Definitely build, safety, features etc. are all ticked in an Ecosport. Do check the rear space if it is sufficient for your current and future needs. But I know there are times at which we throwaway our 'brain priorities' to cater our 'heart priorities'.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 13:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Requirement - Automatic/Good AMT, SUV/MUV (Compact or other) for high GC, Safety is priority (Good crash test ratings, Structural Stability, ABS, EBD, airbags (more the better), etc), space for luggage, and seating for four adults. ICE and related gizmos not a consideration or deal breaker.
... Which is better among these two? I am biased towards Ecosport due to safety features and convenience of a conventional automatic it offers. Good decision?
I would suggest waiting for the new Ertiga. Not sure if it will come in automatic. Ecosport space will be similar. Also if you are looking at Sedans the City will also be a good choice though Auto box will be pricey.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 13:20   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I would suggest waiting for the new Ertiga. Not sure if it will come in automatic. Ecosport space will be similar. Also if you are looking at Sedans the City will also be a good choice though Auto box will be pricey.
He has already mentioned a 'NO' for Maruti, hence wait for Ertiga is out of scope atleast for KVNair. We all know how the new swift performed at the crash tests, expecting nothing more from Ertiga too.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 15:06   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Ecosport would be my pick. It ticks all your boxes and with a running of close to 10-12k petrol AT makes good sense. There is no dealbreaker with the car and has all the features for the price it commands.
The space would definitely be a segment above the swift. Look at the creta only if you think the space at the back is not enough. For everything else, Ecosport suits your requirements to the T.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 15:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Compact SUVs are apt for your requirement (safety + GC). I would say add the Vitara Brezza to the list. It scored well in the crash tests and is a good all-rounder in its segment. Nexon and EcoSport are also great choices. I'm not sure when Jeep's sub-4m SUV is coming to India, otherwise that would've been an awesome contender.

Quote:
Current drive is a Swift ZXI 2015.
If in your place, I would have gone for a nice blue EcoSport for its driving dynamics alone.

Last edited by self_driven : 8th November 2018 at 15:13.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 16:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
He has already mentioned a 'NO' for Maruti, hence wait for Ertiga is out of scope atleast for KVNair. We all know how the new swift performed at the crash tests, expecting nothing more from Ertiga too.
Thanks Guys. Ertiga is quite a looker in the new design, got AT, and space. Where it disappoints is the safety factor. New Swift getting two stars and an unstable rating in the recent test does not inspire confidence. One main reason to give away Swift is the safety aspect.

Now, I strongly feel the Ecosport AT is the right choice. And, as self_driven pointed out, the blue Ecosport seems to pull on my heart a lot!
KVNair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 22:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Where it disappoints is the safety factor. New Swift getting two stars and an unstable rating in the recent test does not inspire confidence. One main reason to give away Swift is the safety aspect.
On the other hand, Brezza got 4 stars in the same test. You can't judge a brand by one of its models, unless the exact model has been tested. I would not rule out Ertiga so easily.

PS: Harrier on the other end of the spectrum is also interesting, however hearing that automatic would be delayed.

Last edited by autorahul : 8th November 2018 at 22:52.
autorahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 22:54   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:

Budget - 15L. Max.

Go with your heart. Buying a car is an emotional thing. Head and Rationale etc is all very well, but when you drive that thing every day, it has to make you feel good and it has to create a feeling of happiness inside as well as foster a sense of achievement. So my plain simple advice would be, go with your emotions more than all this analysis paralysis....
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 01:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Current drive is a Swift ZXI 2015 with 40K kms run, but in good condition. Most of the 40k kms are run on the highway...
Isn't the Creta petrol AT under 15 lakhs? Of the two cars you mentioned, I'd suggest the Ecosport.
Personally, I'd get a sedan- Verna/City are excellent choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Go with your heart. Buying a car is an emotional thing.....
True that. That's why VW still sells cars. Some people are willing to bear a bad ASS experience.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 08:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
On the other hand, Brezza got 4 stars in the same test. You can't judge a brand by one of its models, unless the exact model has been tested. I would not rule out Ertiga so easily.
True, but I thought except for Breeza, most of Maruti's new gen models are based on the same HEARTECT platform. So, I don't see how Ertiga would be able to perform any better. But, I am no guru in these things, it is just what I feel. I could be completely wrong.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 30th November 2018 at 10:47. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 9th November 2018, 09:18   #43
BANNED

Quote:
True, but I thought except for Breeza, most of Maruti's new gen models are based on the same HEARTECT platform. So, I don't see how Ertiga would be able to perform any better. But, I am no guru in these things, it is just what I feel. I could be completely wrong.
Add S-Cross also to the Brezza list. Most of their new cars are based on the HEARTECT platform including Swift. Swift suffered an unstable structure in the crash tests, and we know what a structure is.

Last edited by pavi : 9th November 2018 at 09:19.
pavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 09:42   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Some people are willing to bear a bad ASS experience.
Too general a statement. My own experience with my Yeti at Vinayak Skoda Service has been consistently good these last 7 years of ownership.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 10:10   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of these, Ecosport would be my choice (in fact, I upgraded to the Ecosport from my Swift). Regarding rear space, you will get ample leg room but marginal improvement in shoulder room when compared to the Swift. Kids would definitely find it better than the Swift though.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed