Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2019, 11:18   #61
BHPian

Re: The next car purchase dilemma

Thanks guys for taking time to respond to my query!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I did like the Tiago, but the petrol engine is lacklustre compared to the ones you get in Maruti - Ignis for example is much better, engine wise.

After all the looking around, I feel it will either be Ignis or the Freestyle.
One big drawback with the Ignis is, overall cabin feel (due to the decade old knobs) doesn't give me the feeling of an 'upgrade'. It practically uses the same AC controls as their 12-year old Alto! (Delta/Zeta AMT - I can't fathom paying over 8 lakhs for Alpha AMT). OTOH, Freestyle's cabin feels a lot more modern. And ofcourse, theres the class leading safety feature list - ABS, 6 Airbags, ESP, HLA, TCS, ARP. There is also a whole host of feel good things like Android Auto, Auto AC, Auto Wipers, Auto Headlamps, Rear sensors/camera etc. At ~8 lakhs on-road Delhi - it definitely feels the best bang for the buck. Do check it out if you haven't yet.
Thanks for pointing me towards this direction. I have not completely given up on booking an Ignis but Freestyle is something that I will check out. Based on the feature list, it does feel bang for the buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Yes but personally I feel that the build quality and other features compensate the lack of NVH and rear camera.

Additionally, you can also look at the Hyundai Grand i10. The Sportz(O) variant comes with an AT as well as a rear camera and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. Also with the next generation expected soon, there are some huge discounts going on. Hyundai after sales support is also excellent. The only downside here I think, is that it doesn't get adjustable headrests

Cheers!
Unfortunately, rear camera has sort of become a must have for me. It just gives me some confidence while reversing the car and since my wife will mainly be using the car, it will give me even more confidence while she's reversing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
1. Tata Tiago Revotron XZ+ : VFM, would check almost all the boxes except fuel economy and ASS is a hit or miss.
2. Maruti Suzuki Swift ZXI/ZXI+: Ideal car for you IMO according to your requirements, also the ladies generally have a major liking for the car especially in red colour

3. Ford Freestyle Titanium/ Plus: Another great car, really VFM but it doesn't come with rear adjustable headrests I guess and not sure about its fuel economy.

4. Maruti Suzuki Ignis Alpha: Already ruled out I think but a great option for your requirements.

Since you are not in a hurry, you can also wait for the Ford Figo hatchback which has a facelift due and will be even cheaper than the Freestyle!
Hope this helps! Happy Shopping

Cheers!
1. Tiago I think lacks another feature which is rear parking camera. I understand that the sensors are sufficient but having a camera feels good.
2. We already have a swift in the household, so I'm a little hesitant to go for it.
3. Freestyle is something that I am going to look at.
4. Ignis hasn't been ruled out - it's just that I had a bad experience with this particular showroom so I might just hop over to another one. It definitely ticks all the boxes though.

Also, I doubt whether Figo facelift would undercut Freestyle. Currently Figo is priced above Freestyle, so I would expect that to continue.
Old 15th January 2019, 12:08   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Unfortunately, rear camera has sort of become a must have for me. It just gives me some confidence while reversing the car and since my wife will mainly be using the car, it will give me even more confidence while she's reversing
That is why I mentioned the Grand i10. Overall, it seems like a very good package and even I almost ended up buying one. It satisfies all your requirements except adjustable headrests but even the fixed ones, I feel are adequate unlike the ones on the Jazz.

Cheers!
Old 24th January 2019, 17:42   #63
BHPian

Based on the suggestions above, I'm going to TD Grand i10 over the weekend and perhaps also hop over to the Tata showroom and TD the Tiago.

In the interest of being informed, if I were to up my budget to 10lakhs, is the Nexon the best bang for buck, assuming all other criteria remain unchanged?

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a car that will be used for city commute and the occasional trip outside the city. It will mainly be used by my wife but I will be driving it occasionally too.
Old 25th January 2019, 10:10   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Based on the suggestions above, I'm going to TD Grand i10 over the weekend and perhaps also hop over to the Tata showroom and TD the Tiago.
TATA Service is not up to the mark everywhere. Although their products in recent times are competent, I would wait till they prove themselves in the long run.
New Grand i10 is expected. If it is radically NEW, you would be disappointed if you buy one now. Santro Amt can also be considered. A requirement for AT any time in the future for whatever reasons will not need a new purchase then. Heard good things about Hyundai AMT.
Baleno is a good choice. Test drive one. A 2018 one might not be entirely old compared to the new updated car. You can strike a sweet deal.
Please fix your budget first. If you increase it a little, more confusion comes your way.
Old 9th February 2019, 22:34   #65
BHPian

What's the general consensus on buying a car from the top spec of one segment versus buying a mid variant one from a segment above?
Old 9th February 2019, 23:40   #66
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's the general consensus on buying a car from the top spec of one segment versus buying a mid variant one from a segment above?
Well, I can tell you that that the general consensus would be very difficult to determine and is quite subjective. I feel that the choice of the car would vary depending upon the actual product(s) being compared.

That being said, I have seen most of the people on the forum advocating the top end variant of one segment over the entry/mid variant of the next segment. Though that is not something I agree with.

It would be interesting to have a poll on this.
Old 11th February 2019, 00:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for pointing me towards this direction. I have not completely given up on booking an Ignis but Freestyle is something that I will check out. Based on the feature list, it does feel bang for the buck.
When I was in the market 5 months back to buy a hatch, I test drove the Ignis, Freestyle and Swift. My wife was insisting on the swift.

My main requirements apart from airbags and ABS were
1. Rear defogger and wiper (non negotiable)
2. A peppy car (non negotiable again)
3. Good ground clearance
4. Power folding mirrors
5. Keyless entry and go (negotiable)
6. Decent space
7. Small footprint (the main reason to buy a second car)
8. Adjustable headrests atleast for front

All 3 were good cars but I didnt want to cross 6.25L OTR Delhi if possible.

Now with that bugdet only 2 cars were near it. Ignis Zeta and Swift Vxi. Freestyle was 6.8L for the Trend model. However the latter 2 didnot have rear wiper and defogger.

However Ignis Zeta at 6.12L was giving me Rear wiper & defogger, alloys, rear parking sensor, keyless entry and go (start stop button) over and above the Swift Vxi at 20k less. Additionally it was a car with shorter wheel base and higher ground clearance at 180mm. Basically all the 7 points mentioned above. What I would have liked was driver seat height adjust (though I haven't missed it), touch screen and auto ac. This meant going for the Alpha and I didn't want to pay more than a lakh for it.

After 5 months of ownership I consider the Ignis as one of my best decisions yet. I am saying this after not just driving to office in Delhi traffic but after doing a Delhi Kolkata Delhi round trip in the car. It was above my expectations. Immensely stable at triple digit speeds, peppy car with a power to ratio of near 100bhp, GC helped in taking it off the road at chocked toll gates, stiff suspension ensured less body roll and decent handling at high speeds and great brakes. Onward journey was me alone where I stayed at Allahabad for night but while returning I had a friend joining me and we did non stop Kolkata to Delhi in 22 hrs with breaks for tea and dinner only. Zero fatigue or tiredness. As a bonus I got 19+ as average FE for the entire to and fro journey with spirited driving throughout measured tankful to tankful (I use an app to record fillups and kms)

Ignis is a great car, however if you have the budget go for Freestyle Titanium Plus, not any other variant. Else Ignis Alpha MT is a great choice and cheaper by a lakh. With the ongoing discounts for 2018 cars, since they are bringing in a facelift, it will be nearly 1.75L cheaper.
Old 20th September 2019, 09:21   #68
BHPian

Car experts,

Which car meets all these requirements in 2019?

- Stable structure
- Six airbags, ABS, ESC
- Good Ground Clearance
- Petrol
- Conventional or DSG automatic. NO AMTs
- Not more than 16 to 17 Lakhs OTR Bangalore

Any car model that fits these criteria? Any you see will fit in early 2020?

Thanks.
Old 20th September 2019, 09:48   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post

Thanks.
1. Ecosport Titanium AT
2. Creta Petrol AT (need to check about 6 airbags, though)
3. With 10-15 percent more budget, Seltos
ani_meher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 13:22   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNair View Post
Car experts,

Which car meets all these requirements in 2019?

- Stable structure
- Six airbags, ABS, ESC
- Good Ground Clearance
- Petrol
- Conventional or DSG automatic. NO AMTs
- Not more than 16 to 17 Lakhs OTR Bangalore

Thanks.
Volkswagen Vento Highline Plus TSI. Ground clearance is good enough for most roads albeit you wish to take it to Ladakh or Spiti etc
Old 30th September 2019, 16:25   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Yaris as well I believe should meet the safety requirements well within budget thanks to the massive discounts on offer.
Old 30th September 2019, 18:23   #72
BHPian

Dear BHPians

I am in the market to buy a small second hand vehicle. I currently own a Storme and need a second vehicle on multiple accounts. Missus uses the Storme as she travels long distance and my parents are too old to climb on. I am looking for a vehicle which will offer the following

1. City driving only - for long distance it is the Storme
2. Auto transmission

3. Small footprint so that we can park in busy areas - literally shove the car into slots
4. Good ground clearance - Bangalore is full of whoppers !!
5. Basic safety kit - ABS, EBD, Airbags + good grade body (we used to own a Ford Fusion and the body was out of the world)
6. Apple Car Play - Must have

7. Power windows
8. Rear cameras - good to have, i suppose i can get it integrated as after market fit
9. Good fuel economy - Petrol fuel type preferred
10. Auto folding mirrors preferred as i tend to push the vehicles into the narrowest of lanes
11. Others like integrated RVM indicators, DRLs - Good to have
12. Creep function - must
13. Good air conditioning - must
14. No to sun roofs and other body shaming slicing and dicing of vehicle
15. Price point - Sub 7lakhs on road would be brilliant
16. I intend to keep this vehicle for long term (8+ years), Fusion was sold at its 9th year and Storme is currently on 7th year and is going to be kept for the foreseeable future

Please do help me with your guidance
Old 30th September 2019, 19:03   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Dear BHPians

I am in the market to buy a small second hand vehicle. I currently own a Storme and need a second vehicle on multiple accounts. Missus uses the Storme as she travels long distance and my parents are too old to climb on. I am looking for a vehicle which will offer the following

At 7 lakhs for an automatic, options are limited. I would check out the new WagonR, & Ignis for starters; while working my way towards the Ford Showroom to see if they have any good deals on the Figo Automatic.
Old 5th October 2019, 12:16   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians

1. City driving only - for long distance it is the Storme
2. Auto transmission

3. Small footprint so that we can park in busy areas - literally shove the car into slots
4. Good ground clearance - Bangalore is full of whoppers !!
5. Basic safety kit - ABS, EBD, Airbags + good grade body (we used to own a Ford Fusion and the body was out of the world)
6. Apple Car Play - Must have

7. Power windows
8. Rear cameras - good to have, i suppose i can get it integrated as after market fit
9. Good fuel economy - Petrol fuel type preferred
10. Auto folding mirrors preferred as i tend to push the vehicles into the narrowest of lanes
11. Others like integrated RVM indicators, DRLs - Good to have
12. Creep function - must
13. Good air conditioning - must
14. No to sun roofs and other body shaming slicing and dicing of vehicle
15. Price point - Sub 7lakhs on road would be brilliant
16. I intend to keep this vehicle for long term (8+ years), Fusion was sold at its 9th year and Storme is currently on 7th year and is going to be kept for the foreseeable future

For your requirements and as you're open to second hand vehicles too I would highly recommend finding the Honda Jazz. It meets all your requirements quite well and finding a good deal on the same won't be difficult. You can also, check out the Honda City even though its a little bigger but it gets the job done. The new Amaze too is now available in the market, you may look into at as well. As you're looking for long term vehicle, I would recommend you to stick to Honda as they're the most reliable in the lot.

In the Maruti fleet, you don't have good automatics and all of them are equipped with AMTs except the Baleno but again the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. The next best alternative I can think of is the Grand i10 (though it's not highly fuel efficient) and if new, you can try out the Nios as well.

If you don't mind buying a German for long term and get one with warranties intact along with extend warranty being available, check out the Gat TSi. It meets all your requirements perfectly and offers a lot more feel good factor.
YashD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 12:47   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians

I think you should consider following options:

Option 1: Preowned Nissan Micra

Option 2: New Datsun GO CVT
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed