Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2018, 08:26   #1
BHPian

The next car purchase dilemma

Hello folks,

So, let's take the thread a couple of years back to give a better brief regarding the present situation.

I had been driving a 2009 Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta till August 2016 but due to it's increasing bills and a great deal (2.9 Lakhs), I decided to sell the vehicle.

At that moment, I had thought of buying another car and was highly inclined towards the Rapid Petrol 1.6 MPi Ambition but something just pulled me off and I decided to delay my purchase. Then came the demonetisation which further delayed my purchase by a few months.

The purchase kept on getting further delayed due to various reasons and well I was happy driving around our current set of cars and never felt the need to add another vehicle until a few months back when we started expanding our business. Then again I took a look at every other vehicle except Maruti Suzukis in under the 10 Lakh mark but none of them convinced me enough.

So, the current scenario is the car that I'm going to be purchasing would be my first Personal car purchase and hence I would want it to be something special that appeals to both my mind & heart.

My requirements:-

Budget - Under 10 Lakhs on-road

Choice of Fuel - Petrol
I keep shuffling between Bangalore & Kolkata due to work and my Elder brother resides in Bangalore hence buying a diesel doesn't make sense as it will increase my installments as well as maintenance cost even though it will be standing in my garage for almost 6 months. Still, if I get a good diesel car in my budget I am ready to take the plunge.

Everyday Run - Approximately 30 kms

Monthly Run - Around 1100 - 1200 kms (A few night outs and random drives)

Cars Preferred - I am inclined towards premium hatchbacks, easy to drive & Park in the urban environment, doesn't occupy much garage space as well as better overall dynamics when compared to Compact sedans. Though having said that, I wouldn't mind going for a well maintained sedan as well.

Now, what I'm basically looking for in the market is a good looking Petrol powered car in it's top trim, with decent fuel efficiency (anything around 10-11 would be good enough for me), offers a comfortable, spacious for 5, feature loaded cabin along with an excellent engine. I want a vehicle with a good low end and mid range. Being an Autohead, good performance is a compulsion along with decent handling and safety features. I am fine with both Automatic and Manual transmission.

Vehicles I've seen :-

Honda Jazz - The 1.2 i-vtec feels underpowered, Brio feels better tuned and much more spirited. For the price, it feels overpriced.

Hyundai Elite i20 - Don't want to repeat an i20, again the 1.2L Engine moreover it has become extremely expensive with time and feels the same to drive.

Honda Amaze - The same thing as Jazz but I liked the Diesel CVT. The problem is it only comes in the V Trim hence misses out on equipment.

Tata Nexon - I really liked this car but not sure if Petrol would be good enough. Meets all my requirements though the diesel XZ+ is out of my budget.

Ford Ecosport - Again, I liked the 1.5 Dragon Engine alot but the Titanium trim is out of my budget and I don't want to buy a mid variant.

Honda WR-V - The car doesn't feels worth 11 Lakh price tag for the diesel variant.

Hyundai Xcent - Looks ugly. (No Offense)

Ford Freestyle - One of the cars that I've shortlisted. Ticks all the right boxes and I may end up buying this one as I hardly could take out any flaws in this one. Just concerned about the after sales service.

Ford Figo - Looks spartan in front of Freestyle, didn't get a good offer on the Figo 1.5 AT.

Ford Aspire - It has become a popular cab.

Renault Captur - Was ready to push my budget slightly for this but the engines are uninspiring.

Hyundai Verna - I love this car but don't want to settle with the 1.4 EX.

Maruti Suzuki Swift - Another brilliant product, let down by extremely poor built quality.

Fiat Urban Cross - The Kolkata's Fiat dealer called me up and are offering me some great deals on the Fiat products. So, this too gets added in the list. Yet to test drive them.

Now, please suggest what should I do?
Which would suit me the best?
I am extremely confused in what to purchase, I've just shortlisted the Petrol Freestyle and Urban Cross now.
What could be the good alternatives in the Used cars segment as well and how much should I spend on them?

Being my first car, I'm excited as well as super nervous. I am not able to think straight so help me do that.

Thanks a ton to everyone in advance who would be coming forward to help me take a right decision.
YashD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 08:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The next car purchase dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Then again I took a look at every other vehicle except Maruti Suzukis in under the 10 Lakh mark but none of them convinced me enough.
My requirements:-

Budget - Under 10 Lakhs on-road
Hi Yash -

I owned a Scorpio 4WD for 3 yrs., and still have a Ford Ecosport AT for almost 5 yrs. now. As a replacement to the Scorpio, I have picked up a Nexon XMA Petrol. As a current owner of both the older gen Ecosport AT and a Nexon AMT, I can tell you that the Nexon offers a lot of value, space, ride quality and refinement, as compared to the Ecosport, which latter offers more Airbags, and an even better build quality.

In any case, you will not go terribly wrong with any of the 5 cars, I have retained from your list above -

Jazz - Refined, spacious, but underpowered and wannabe premium offering at a high price point
Amaze - Excellent value for money and decently specced, if you want a Compact Sedan (that doesn't really feel like a compact sedan)
Nexon - Highest value for money quotient, with excellent dynamics, ride quality, space and safety.
Ecosport - An established, trusted product with a tank like build quality and safety, but slightly low on space and now more expensive than it should be.
Freestyle - An absolute value for money product from Ford right now, albeit only in Manual.

Or, to throw another one into the mix, there's the Ignis, whose Go Kart like quality I found extremely endearing.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 11th September 2018 at 10:50. Reason: Please dont quote the full long post
roy_libran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 08:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,
I am extremely confused in what to purchase, I've just shortlisted the Petrol Freestyle and Urban Cross now.
What are the cars that you currently drive?

Ford Freestyle is the best pick from the options you listed. Since you didn't mention anything about maintenance costs, why haven't you considerd GT TSI?

Quote:
Just concerned about the after sales service.
Its regarding the Fiat Urban Cross, that you have to be concerned about after sales & service. But it depends on the city you live in. Do check with current Fiat owners in you city regarding this before you decide.

Quote:
What could be the good alternatives in the Used cars segment as well and how much should I spend on them?
It will be hard to find, but if you can find a used GTI it will come close to your budget.
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 09:09   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Hello folks,
Being my first car, I'm excited as well as super nervous. I am not able to think straight so help me do that.

Thanks a ton to everyone in advance who would be coming forward to help me take a right decision.
For your case, EcoSport, Freestyle and the Urban cross are the best bids. In a similar situation, I would have gone for the EcoSport Trend Petrol. Later when the pocket allows, you can always spend some money on some professional modifications which will keep you happy. A car is not just a car, it's an emotion. If your heart likes it, let it take over your brain, in a sensible manner. It is not important to settle for the top model only. Infact lower variants are lot more value for money than the top models.
Anyways, Freestyle is also an equally great car and will keep your needa satisfied.
The Urban Cross is a great product, but I think the after sales can be a concern for this car.
_nitink_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 09:27   #5
BHPian

Be assured of the maintenance part for ford. Maintenance is easy and cheap. Freestyle titanium plus fits your requirements just fine. It has best in class entertainment, safety and power figures. Although as _nitink_ mentioned, I would have gone for the EcoSport. The EcoSport is better built, tougher and the 1.5 dragon is better than the 1.2. Things like Paint, plastics, carpet mats, seats are a notch above than the freestyle. Settle for trend or trend plus I would say.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:10   #6
BHPian

IMO, the recent Nexon Kraz edition looks cool. Nexon Kraz+ Diesel MT - Rs.8,64,058 (link (Tata Nexon Kraz limited edition launched at Rs. 7.15 lakhs))

My brother owns a Nexon, I must say it is impressive.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:15   #7
BHPian

I would suggest Ford Freestyle. Cousin recently bought one and I got to TD it. Interiors are really good and spacious. It drives well too (typical Ford). Also, the doors felt sturdy compared to other cars in that range.

He was happy with Ford dealer's overall customer service so far.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:18   #8
BHPian

I would suggest you the Ford Figo sports diesel, if your dealer has some stocks left. Its offers great value for money, a cracker of an engine, sportier looks, good mileage and cheaper maintenance.

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2018 at 10:11. Reason: Poorly typed post
harish619 is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 11th September 2018, 10:24   #9
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest you to settle for the Ecosport Trend in your budget. But if you really don't want to settle for a mid-variant, then the Freestyle makes the most sense. Ford service costs are cheap, though A.S.S. can be a mixed bag. Stretch for the diesel Titanium+ of the Freestyle. Its performance may make you forget about the Ecosport which feels more premium inside-out.

You may stretch for the diesel Ecosport Trend+ and get the best of both worlds. Also, you may want to try the i20 diesel. The 1.2 petrol in the i20 feels quite sluggish, however the diesel is excellent. Do give it a try.

Last edited by AYP : 11th September 2018 at 10:25.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Among all the cars mentioned, I think Ford Ecosport is the best as it will solve all purposes, city, highway and the occasional touring. It's the toughest built among all. And it's not always necessary to buy the top model. Lower models are also worth it. Besides the main components remain the same. At a later stage you can update to after market accessories.

Ford service has drastically improved, not as good as Toyota but definitely better than most.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Best Used Cars in your budget:

1) Honda City Petrol (a very recent one can be easily had). Except for the length of the car, it satisfies all of your criteria. But then you are looking at Captur and Verna as well, so why not. Might even get an AT version as well, if lucky.

2) Polo GT TSI: Can have a new one if you extend a bit but would recommend a used one. You will then have some money left for the mods and it is mod friendly. Fun to drive and small in size. Only issue is the rear space but then you have other cars at home and won't be driving it full year anyway.

3) A Petrol Duster: Can get an AT as well if you are lucky. But getting a used one is difficult due to low sales. Advantages: Good ride, space and a petrol.

4) Fiat Linea T-jet: Not highly recommended due to lack of services/dealer network but if you have a good back-up/service center in Kolkata then why not?

Last edited by sunilch : 11th September 2018 at 10:49.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Any specific reason why the Baleno is not in your list? May fit right in for your needs, have a look at it before ruling it out.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 14:56   #13
BHPian

This is a real dilemma to be in. Just read some posts on - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...s-savings.html (Are most of us living on the edge? Let's talk about income, expenses & savings) and it puts further strain on this decision making, like someone mentioned here - it is an emotional decision as well.

Used to drive Indica Xeta, 2006 (first car) up until 2013 and it gave me a bucket full of issues, used to take it to A.S.S almost every 3 /5 months. Then in 2013, my BIL told me to sell the Xeta and use his Honda Zxi, also 2006 model. No sooner I got my hands on her, repainted it at 3M, changed tyres, music system headlights, etc. etc.

It’s been 6 years now and the car has shown signs of wear, rusts across all areas corroding door panels, boot, almost everything. Did Mumbai – Bhutan – Mumbai last year and long drives helps me breathe well, car’s with low GC scraping potholes takes that breath away!

After my trysts with TATA, I feel Honda cars, do give you some peace of mind, love the CRV but its way out of my budget.

Call it mid-life crisis; when one reaches mid-forties, family matters take precedence and decision making to buy a ride becomes all the more complex.

I am pretty certain my next vehicle will take me past 50 for sure and has to be an AT with good GC!
saildrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 15:39   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at your requirements, you have two - three options in front of you:

1) Fun to drive, but maintenance / resale costs will be lower: Figo Diesel S with a cracker of an engine / Punto Abarth. Off these, I am pro-Figo as it is easier to maintain, fresher interiors and better ergonomics.
Yes, it's diesel but it's so much quicker and enjoyable compared to the sluggish petrol and the FE will easily make up for it.

2) Cheap to maintain, not as much fun to drive: Honda / Hyundai. Pick any. I'd pick the Amaze Diesel though - again, all because of the engine compared to the 1.2L Petrol.

3) Pre-owned: Laura TSi if you get a good example with low mileage, if not - plenty of City's in the market as well and you can even wait a few months and see if any EcoSport comes your way in top end guise.

Have you looked at the Polo TSi? It could be the one that fits all your needs. Yes, it won't be cheap to buy, yes it won't be cheap to maintain, but once you're over that - it will transform how you feel every drive.
However, everything said and done, my vote goes for the Figo / Freestyle 1.5 Diesel.

Last edited by lamborghini : 11th September 2018 at 15:42.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 15:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you are open to pre-owned segment, sparingly used Ecosport Titanium Tdci should be available under 10L.
Or else a new Ford Freestyle Titanium+, assuming you will hold the car for a longer time.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks