Team-BHP > What Car?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2018, 10:56   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Thane
Posts: 66
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

I am looking to change my 12 yr old Esteem. My new job is at Kalina, and I'll be travelling from Thane. A/C bus is actually the best option but won't fit in my office timings. My Esteem is too long in the tooth, with a stiff gear, plenty of NVH etc, so I'm looking at getting a new car.

Since it'll be 50kms daily, I am leaning towards cng. I went and checked the Santro yesterday. I told the salesman I want both cng and automatic, and he said they can do that with the Grand i10. Magna AT is around 7.8L after discounts and Sportz is about 8.5L.

Does anyone have any experience of cng + 4 speed AT? Will it work properly and reliably? Hyundai will adjust the suspension for the added weight, but I don't think they'll be tweaking the AT box for the reduced power. How much difference is this likely to make?

Lastly, any other cars I should be considering? 90% use will be my office commute, and I hope to make the occasional long trips with family. A cng hatch will mean I'll need to look into roof top luggage carriers as well. I thought of the Amaze diesel cvt as well, but the price diff between diesel and petrol isn't enough to justify it. The Aspire AT seems simply perfect but the monthly costs will be almost double compared to a cng hatch.

Super confused!
zhopudey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,892
Thanked: 11,492 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

This comment on this thread when Hyundai launched the Grand i10 CNG seems to indicate performance should not be drastically impacted.

Having said that, I think a CNG + AT hatch would be too much of a compromise especially since you expect to do some long trips. The entry level diesel AMT's maybe a better bet from an overall perspective. The Ignis is one such option that comes to mind.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:22   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Thane
Posts: 66
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Having said that, I think a CNG + AT hatch would be too much of a compromise especially since you expect to do some long trips. The entry level diesel AMT's maybe a better bet from an overall perspective. The Ignis is one such option that comes to mind.
Compromise in terms of? I thought AT was better than AMT is almost all aspects...

Edit: Ohh you mean wrt luggage space?

Last edited by zhopudey : 19th November 2018 at 11:24.
zhopudey is offline  
Old 19th November 2018, 11:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,892
Thanked: 11,492 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Compromise in terms of? I thought AT was better than AMT is almost all aspects...

Edit: Ohh you mean wrt luggage space?

Yes luggage space is one. As you mentioned would require to have a carrier, which may impact the dynamics on a small hatch and hence not ideal from a safety perspective. Also a CNG + AT on the highway will be a poor performer. So a diesel + AMT may be better.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:36   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 269
Thanked: 412 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

CNG will be cost effective to run, however, refilling is a hassle. Queuing up at CNG stations is the biggest sore point of having a CNG car.

I would advise going with an automatic.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:38   #6
BHPian
 
bansal.sushant's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 100
Thanked: 197 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

I have a CNG car and another AT car, both have reduced power than their Petrol + MT counterparts. I wouldn't suggest CNG + AT, will take all the fun away of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
I thought of the Amaze diesel cvt as well, but the price diff between diesel and petrol isn't enough to justify it.
Price difference between Diesel and Petrol may not be much, but there is also difference in mileage, which can create significant difference in the long run.

I would suggest you either go for a CNG + MT, (can shift to petrol for those fun drives), or a Diesel + AT (will be more expensive that the first option overall, but the convenience should make up for it).
bansal.sushant is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:44   #7
BHPian
 
Rshrey22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Delhi
Posts: 245
Thanked: 408 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

Go with Dzire diesel AMT. The best bang for the buck, decent power, nice features and great mileage!
Rshrey22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 11:44   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Thane
Posts: 66
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

Monthly costs for Ignis diesel AMT are closer to i10 CNG costs than aspire petrol AT costs. Will have to look seriously into the Ignis now. Any other diesel automatic options I should look into?

Last edited by zhopudey : 19th November 2018 at 11:48.
zhopudey is offline  
Old 19th November 2018, 12:12   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WB 26
Posts: 3,311
Thanked: 2,604 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The entry level diesel AMT's maybe a better bet from an overall perspective. The Ignis is one such option that comes to mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Monthly costs for Ignis diesel AMT are closer to i10 CNG costs than aspire petrol AT costs. Will have to look seriously into the Ignis now. Any other diesel automatic options I should look into?
Ignis diesel has been discontinued quite a few months back.

https://www.nexaexperience.com/ignis.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...continued.html (Rumour: Maruti Suzuki Ignis diesel variants discontinued)


The cheapest available diesel automatics now are Dzire AMT & Amaze CVT.

Edit: If it's 50 kms both up & down combined (and not 50 up + 50 down), a petrol AT (any technology) should also be considered.
Some serious number crunching is recommended to analyze the ROI, especially with the narrowing difference between petrol / diesel prices & larger upfront price of the diesel model.

Last edited by blackasta : 19th November 2018 at 12:28.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 12:35   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Thane
Posts: 66
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Edit: If it's 50 kms both up & down combined (and not 50 up + 50 down), a petrol AT (any technology) should also be considered.
Some serious number crunching is recommended to analyze the ROI, especially with the narrowing difference between petrol / diesel prices & larger upfront price of the diesel model.
It's 50km total. Rough calculations indicate monthly cost will be around 12k for the i10 AT CNG, and almost 23k for the aspire AT. This includes fuel and emi costs. I'm assuming 18kmpl for the i10 and 10kmpl for Aspire. I've not considered servicing and maintenance costs yet.

Last edited by zhopudey : 19th November 2018 at 12:37.
zhopudey is offline  
Old 19th November 2018, 12:46   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,156
Thanked: 1,045 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

For 50 kms total travel per day, i would rather go for a fuel efficient petrol AT rather than a CNG (Though i must admit i abhor CNG personally).

Petrol AT options with good luggage capacity include Amaze CVT and Tigor AMT.

Infact Tigor AMT would fit well into the budget and speaking from personal experience the cars delivers around 12-13 kmpl in city traffic which is not bad for a petrol AT.

I don't really recommend DZire AMT because of long waiting periods and questionable safety aspects of the car.

Last edited by DCEite : 19th November 2018 at 12:47.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:00   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
blackwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 2,565
Thanked: 19,385 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Since it'll be 50kms daily, I am leaning towards cng. I went and checked the Santro yesterday. I told the salesman I want both cng and automatic, and he said they can do that with the Grand i10. Magna AT is around 7.8L after discounts and Sportz is about 8.5L.
I would not recommend CNG (that too aftermarket) for such less running. Unless you can average our 100 kms a day minimum, no point of CNG. A CNG car is to be considered only as work horse with no long term prospects. Use it for max 3-4 years ~ 1.5 to 2L kms and then move on.

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience of cng + 4 speed AT? Will it work properly and reliably? Hyundai will adjust the suspension for the added weight, but I don't think they'll be tweaking the AT box for the reduced power. How much difference is this likely to make?
I know a customer who fit a CNG kit in Ciaz AT. It was a sequential kit and he used to do 100-120 kms a day so it was worth it for him. I have driven that car and unless the CNG installer botches up, there is no way you will see a lag in the power deliver. These days the CNG performance on modern kits is very good.

Quote:
Lastly, any other cars I should be considering? 90% use will be my office commute, and I hope to make the occasional long trips with family.
Please consider a Petrol AT. Frankly your usage doesn't warrant a CNG (low kms and no AT options) or a diesel (unless you can rack up the miles on outstation trips.

If budget is a concern, I strongly recommend you to explore the pre-owned route for a good diesel automatic.
blackwasp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:26   #13
BHPian
 
Thermodynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 648
Thanked: 3,124 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

I second blackwasp that CNG is an overkill for such a low usage. I would prefer/suggest super hit models because they have better resale potential. The depreciation loss otherwise would outweigh mileage benefits due to CNG.

1. Amaze CVT
2. Baleno CVT
3. Elite i20 AT
4. Nexon XMA Petrol (AMT, prefer only if you like to have more rugged feel)

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 19th November 2018 at 14:30.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:29   #14
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Thane
Posts: 66
Thanked: 80 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
I prefer/suggest super hit models because they have better resale potential.

1. Amaze CVT
2. Baleno CVT
3. Elite i20 AT
4. Nexon XMA Petrol (AMT, prefer only if you like to have more rugged feel)
Well I intend to keep this car for long, so haven't thought about resale at all.

Some interesting food for thought in the replies here. I'll have to put on my thinking cap and do some contemplating.
zhopudey is offline  
Old 19th November 2018, 14:46   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
blackasta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: WB 26
Posts: 3,311
Thanked: 2,604 Times
Default re: Commuter car dilemma - CNG or AT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Well I intend to keep this car for long, so haven't thought about resale at all.

Some interesting food for thought in the replies here. I'll have to put on my thinking cap and do some contemplating.
Some guidance can be found here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...nsmission.html (Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission) and here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...no-ertiga.html (Automatics under 10 Lakh OTR - A Comprehensive Guide (now with the Baleno & Ertiga))
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks