Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2019, 19:47   #1

Want to buy a 20 - 30 lakh car for running of 8000 km / month. Which one?

Hi All,

I'm so thrilled to be here finally. For the last 10 years, I've vastly found myself at Team-bhp to get reliable information on what cars would suit me. I sincerely thank you guys for being so supportive, and I further extend my thanks to the team, for accepting my registration and having this community authentic, with real members and raw stories.
Thanks guys!

I recently met with an accident in my Creta and unfortunately had to total loss the vehicle at 1,90,000 kms under 3 years. Worst Experience.
Now I'm looking to get myself a new car.

My requirements:

I practically live in my car, and drive around 7000 - 8000 kms per month. I prefer a 5 seater, diesel car in the ballpark of 20 - 30 lakhs budget. Since, I travel a lot, I guess, I need a car with good comfort, features and decent consumption. A car that doesn't break easily and is reliable. I usually get my Creta serviced within a day, so a similar car would be better. I'm planning to keep this car for another 3-4 years maximum. I'm just a small time entrepreneur, so It would be great if you guys could suggest me something that doesn't eat away my wallet, when it comes to maintaining it.

Well Guys, This is my first question at this forum, and I pray for the best suggestions.
Thanks in advance!
vivern is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 20:49   #2
BHPian

re: Want to buy a 20 - 30 lakh car for running of 8000 km / month. Which one?

Innova Crysta or Fortuner.
Ever since they have been into market, the reliability speaks for itself.

Why not another Creta? Top of the line should be well within your budget. You have tested it well.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th January 2019 at 23:53. Reason: As requested
procrastinator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 21:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome aboard Team BHP.

For the mileage you clock, you probably can ask any manufacturer and they would gladly give you a car for testing . :

The Innova if you are being driven around and the Tucson GLS AT,if you are driving( I am assuming you do not need a 4*4).

Just do not compromise on the safety as you are clocking serious highway miles.

Why not also drive the Nissan Kicks and check it out? I am unable to comment on it as I have not driven one as yet. Considering it is a Duster cousin should work well. The only issue is the ASS, but the initial cost won't break your bank. The top spec has decent safety kit as well.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 21:55   #4
BHPian

Go for the Corolla eyes closed. Since your running is high, I guess reliability and comfort would be very important. The Corolla is a very comfortable sedan and is known worldwide for its reliability. Also the segment currently isn't very popular so expect good discounts.

As an alternative, you can also consider the Skoda Octavia. The 2.0 TDI is one sturdy engine but then service issues are present too.

If you are more attracted towards SUVs, do check out the Tata Harrier also. It seems to be quite promising and the AT will make your life easier too.

By the way, Welcome to the community!

Cheers!

Last edited by porsche_guy : 19th January 2019 at 22:01. Reason: Adding a point :-)
porsche_guy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 22:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi vivern,
Getting another Creta is not a bad option. I wouldn't hesitate to check out the Innova and Fortuner, although they may be too big if you're the solo driver.

I can name a couple of vehicles- Jeep compass, Honda City etc which might be reliable. But the concern is maintenance downtime should a critical part fail. The same shouldn't be a problem with a Toyota, Maruti or Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Go for the Corolla eyes closed....
The Corolla diesel is not that great. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're chauffeur driven.
Quote:
As an alternative, you can also consider the Skoda Octavia. The 2.0 TDI is...
Refer the last bit of my post- I think only Toyota, Hyundai and Maruti can provide minimal service downtime if a critical part fails.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 22:10   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Refer the last bit of my post- I think only Toyota, Hyundai and Maruti can provide minimal service downtime if a critical part fails.
That is why I said that Skoda has service issues
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 22:11   #7
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest the Tucson diesel looking at your requirements. It comes with a decent equipment level and should be much easier and cheaper to maintain than them German competition. If you are open to owning a sedan, then the Elantra diesel should fit the bill as well. Won't suggest the Corolla due to the puny diesel engine. Waiting for the new Civic is something you may want to do.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 22:40   #8
BHPian

Welcome to Team BHP! @vivern

The Hyundai Tucson should be your #1 choice according to your requirements. With your budget and requirements it would fit precisely and is also a proper upgrade for your Creta.

The diesel engine is more powerful and frugal than the Creta. The brand is same so you are already familiar wit its ASS. If you self drive, you can go with the automatic variant else manual is also a good option. Hyundai cars are feature rich that needs no explanation.

If you are up for a sedan now then look no further than Toyota Corolla Altis. The car is extremely comfortable and quite fuel efficient. As far as reliability is concerned, most people swear on toyota's reliability!

Another option is a Jeep Compass. It looks fabulous and is even better in terms of drive ability. The only setback is ASS which is a hit or miss.

Cheers!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th January 2019 at 07:03. Reason: Tuscon > Tucson.
DPetrolHead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2019, 22:40   #9
BHPian

8k per month would mean you have to service it every other month. If I was in your shoes, I would prefer a good service network. In this respect, it has to be Maruti, Hyundai, Tata, Mahindra, Toyota, Honda, Renault, VW/Skoda...

Maruti doesn't serve your segment
Hyundai - Tucson , Elantra, Santa Fe
Tata - Upcoming Harrier
Mahindra - Alturas G4, Upcoming XUV 500
Honda - Upcoming Civic, CRV
Toyota- Corolla, Innova
Skoda- Octavia, Superb

On stretch: Fortuner, Q3, X1, Kodiaq

Test drive as many as you can, pitch one against the other, negotiate a sweet deal. All the best, do share your ownership review.

Last edited by navin : 21st January 2019 at 12:16. Reason: typo
Thermodynamics is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 01:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivern View Post
I practically live in my car, and drive around 7000 - 8000 kms per month. I prefer a 5 seater, diesel car in the ballpark of 20 - 30 lakhs budget.
For that running, you are best served with an engine that is under-stressed. Like the original Innova. 2.5L but only 100 BHP.

You need an engine that is barely stressed so as to maximize longevity. Think about it as cruising at 80 in a swift vs 110 in an alto.

In your segment, I would normally think only of the Innova, Corolla or the Creta. Nothing else will run that many miles and have extensive service available as well.

Maybe even the Ford Endeavor but depends upon your service experience in your part of the country.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th January 2019 at 07:00. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Thanks.
phamilyman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 01:57   #11
Team-BHP Support

5 seats, ride comfort, reliability, feature rich, diesel, FE and well within your budget = S-Cross

Not very popular, but practical and it ticks all your boxes.
Eddy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 05:47   #12
BHPian

A used Fortuner? Suits your usage to the T and even after running 2 to 3 lakh kms, it will still fetch you some money!!!
deep_bang is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 06:03   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivern View Post

I practically live in my car, and drive around 7000 - 8000 kms per month. I prefer a 5 seater, diesel car in the ballpark of 20 - 30 lakhs budget. Since, I travel a lot, I guess, I need a car with good comfort, features and decent consumption. A car that doesn't break easily and is reliable. I usually get my Creta serviced within a day, so a similar car would be better. I'm planning to keep this car for another 3-4 years maximum. I'm just a small time entrepreneur, so It would be great if you guys could suggest me something that doesn't eat away my wallet, when it comes to maintaining it.
First thing first, welcome to Team-BHP. I sincerely hope, we haven't confused you further.

It is commendable that at that many kilometers, the Creta didn't take much downtime and even saved you well (I assume) and faded to glory.

My pick would be :

# Creta - for similar experience.
# Tucson - Its an altogether a different experience, do drive one.

I somehow have not warmed upto Compass's A.S.S experience with whatever I have seen, but if its good in your area, you may try, but remember, Jeep is a one car wonder, so at small places, the day sales plummet, the ASC will either start milking money or shut shop.

IMHO, Toyotas would be too large for you to drive around, if not, they make a strong case.

Honda CR-V is another good, comfortable car which can be suggested, you may look at it.

Rest, I can't think of much. Maybe Tiguan, but unsure of downtime.

Last edited by navin : 21st January 2019 at 12:18. Reason: typo
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 06:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm surprised someone hasn't yet brought up the remaining brands - Volkswagen, Audi, BMWs and what not!

I'd stick to the Japs with your situation, primarily Toyota for the reliability and Maruti for the coverage; and Hyundai if your experience / connect wrt your current ride has been great.

Toyota: Innova >> Fortuner >> Corolla
Maruti: S-Cross
Hyundai: Tuscon > Creta

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th January 2019 at 06:08.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 10:21   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow! You sure spend a lot of time on the road. Firstly, I must say that we are glad you got away okay from the total loss accident.

I would prioritise comfort + safety + automatic for you. Thus my shortlist would be the Tucson, Innova Crysta 2.8L AT and Endeavour; test-drive these and buy whichever you like the most. All of them are top class cars that will keep you happy.

Can't suggest the Corolla Altis because of the lame 1.4L diesel. If you're open to sedans, you might want to wait for the Civic. Launch is around the corner.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks