Team-BHP - Which car for the better half?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   What Car? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/)
-   -   Which car for the better half? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-car/206128-car-better-half-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rationalist (Post 5288593)
Why is the Tata Altroz DCA not even considered? I think you should test drive it. Amaze is definitely a good choice, but I’m skeptical about Honda surviving our market. Hardly any volume seller and nothing much exciting on the cards.

Thanks for the suggestion:thumbs up The Altroz DCA TD car had not reached the dealer when we went. Will definitely try it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunikkat (Post 5288608)
Why not try Honda Jazz? If you get over with the boring design, it is indeed a good car for the requirement. And now the top end comes with sunroof too. Quality and build wise it is better than Amaze and also scored 4 stars in the recent crash test.

We retain our cars for a long time. Jazz already looks a little dated. Even the SA discouraged us (though it might be linked to his incentives).

Ignis meets all your requirements to the t. A zippy engine that returns a very good mileage. Great visibility. Quirky interiors, but my wife loved it when she test-drove it. And it seems like a perfect replacement for our ageing Ritz.

Maybe check out Punch too. Tall, tasteful interiors and super safe too.

naru- please test drive the Baleno once. Their back seat space and leg room are truly best in that segment.

Tata’s punch could be a good option.

The Amaze is definitely the better option when compared to the Nios primarily due to the CVT vs AMT. It may not wow you but the CVT is definitely worth it. If I were you I'd give the Jazz a chance as it has scored a solid 4 star in the GNCAP test and the top end ZX with LED headlights(and sunroof) looks contemporary. Do sit inside both the cars and you will find that the interiors of the Jazz feel a notch above the Amaze.

If Jazz is still a no go and the Amaze isn't pulling the strings of your heart, then you do have 3 other options-

1. Tata Punch- interiors have wow factor and the features are ample. The weak engine is a sore point though.

2. Ignis- Great engine and the most affordable one here though missing on the wow factor.

3. Kiger 2022- Kiger's interior IMO are a tad bit more premium than the Magnite and the 2022 model(top end presumably) comes with contrast red interiors and other feature additions. Do check if the Kiger appeals to you.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...5-84-lakh.html

The Kiger would be my pick otherwise the Amaze is a great option as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by creative420 (Post 5288670)
Ignis meets all your requirements to the t. A zippy engine that returns a very good mileage. Great visibility. Quirky interiors, but my wife loved it when she test-drove it. And it seems like a perfect replacement for our ageing Ritz.

Maybe check out Punch too. Tall, tasteful interiors and super safe too.

Planning to go to Nexa showroom this weekend. Will check out Ignis. We thought Punch was not a VFM proposition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkrishnakj (Post 5288674)
naru- please test drive the Baleno once. Their back seat space and leg room are truly best in that segment.

Tata’s punch could be a good option.

Thanks. Baleno seems quite compelling but the new one comes with an AMT :unhappy. Back space for us is not a priority. It will be unoccupied 90% of the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYP (Post 5288728)
The Amaze is definitely the better option when compared to the Nios primarily due to the CVT vs AMT. It may not wow you but the CVT is definitely worth it. If I were you I'd give the Jazz a chance as it has scored a solid 4 star in the GNCAP test and the top end ZX with LED headlights(and sunroof) looks contemporary. Do sit inside both the cars and you will find that the interiors of the Jazz feel a notch above the Amaze.

If Jazz is still a no go and the Amaze isn't pulling the strings of your heart, then you do have 3 other options-

1. Tata Punch- interiors have wow factor and the features are ample. The weak engine is a sore point though.

2. Ignis- Great engine and the most affordable one here though missing on the wow factor.

3. Kiger 2022- Kiger's interior IMO are a tad bit more premium than the Magnite and the 2022 model(top end presumably) comes with contrast red interiors and other feature additions. Do check if the Kiger appeals to you.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...5-84-lakh.html

The Kiger would be my pick otherwise the Amaze is a great option as well.

Thanks for this info. Is it just me or have all car salesmen lost interest in their jobs? We did not get a call back after the Amaze TD. When we enquired about Jazz, they brushed it away saying Amaze is better.

The Renualt team made no mention of the Kiger update.

Maybe because of the chip shortage, targets are being easily met. The lack of interest cuts across brands. Only Kia staff has been proactive so far.

I think now sales guys expect potential customers to do all research online and just come to the showroom for the price negotiation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naru80 (Post 5288577)

We tend to retain our cars for 10+ years, so we want to buy something that is fresh so that it doesn't feel dated so soon.

But then i searched for its reviews on Team-bhp :unhappy. It may manage to see ~3k units/month but here the verdict seems to be pretty brutal: there is hardly any activity on the main review page, very few ownership reviews, and a lot of negativity around AS*, the cost cutting in Amaze, and the future of Honda itself in India.

Is Amaze a good choice or should we consider any other option?

Except for the point number 6 in your requirements, Amaze meets everything else.

Since you tend to keep cars for more than 10 years, a Japanese no nonsense car will the better choice, its just that it might not pull your heart strings.

It is true that Amaze is built to a cost, but when compared to similar cars from Maruti's stable, it is more than fine.
The Nios has better interiors and the wow feel when directly compared to Amaze, but a CVT with manual control would be better than AMT any day.

The icing on the cake is that you could get up to 10 years warranty on the Honda, which nobody else currently provides. Peace of mind in the long run.

The caveat with Amaze is the engine. Many find it underpowered or lethargic.
But in reality, the lower end of the power band is very weak which makes us feel it is underpowered.
If one can work through the gears or keep it in the powerband it is plenty powerful.
The 1.2 still has 90ps power, second only to Ford 1.2 NA Dragon engine.

Unlike the manual transmission cars, where the driver involvement dictates the outright response of the engine,
with the CVT auto much of the weak bottom end gets masked and it is not a concern at all if paddles are used.

I would suggest you to go for Amaze or can try out the Jazz CVT too.

Ignis is definitely suiting all your requirement, it's stylish quirky feature loaded and it's safety and build quality is better than other Maruti cars out there. And please don't reject it just because of the rear look please.
Why don't you check out Tata Tigor?
Check out these two cats and make a verdict, both are strong competitors and will serve you well.

Honda Amaze should be your pick compared to Hyundai i10 Nios though the latter looks more stylish.

Factors that work in favor of Honda Amaze :-

1. Suspension is soft ensuring city driving with the roads and bumpers do not affect your driving and comfort.
2. Interiors are classy with nice touch materials, if not so stylish like Hyundai/Kia. They do the job of keeping the overall car look airy and less claustrophobic with beige color
3. Overall build quality is definitely on the better side compared to Maruti and Hyundai.
4. The i-VTEC is one of the best naturally aspirated engines with good FE numbers ranging around 15-17 kmpl in city conditions and highways should give around 18-20 kmpl.
5. CVT is always recommended for a sedate driving in city (>90%). It does a fantastic job of masking any low-end lag due to seemingly low torque of 110 Nm here.
6. Boot space of 420L is one of the segment best and ground clearance of 170mm is also very good for city driving.
7. Overall comfort of front and back seat passengers is also class leading which Honda cars is typically known for.
8. Finally in terms of safety it has a 4 star GNCAP rating (adult occupant category) which makes life safer in terms of ownership.

Only few negatives are the touchscreen, reverse camera and overall sound output but if that is something you can live with in features department, then Honda Amaze CVT is a VFM car which can be considered for a true upgrade under 10Lakhs compared to Nios, Aura, Dzire, Tigor.

**Please note I have considered only C1 segment sedans here while C1 CSUVs cross the budget of 10Lakhs with VFM variants. The B2 hatchbacks are good but excpet Altroz DCA others offer the AMT. Do check the Altroz once as I have not much information on that one.**

Quote:

Originally Posted by naru80 (Post 5288613)
We retain our cars for a long time.

I have not received good feedback regarding mileage of Hyundai cars after long ownership period. Honda cars are better on that front. I have a Brio, 8 and half years old, still giving a very good mileage. Further, Honda cars are known to be very reliable. I assume Amaze carries that characteristic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying Shadow (Post 5295383)
The caveat with Amaze is the engine. Many find it underpowered or lethargic.
But in reality, the lower end of the power band is very weak which makes us feel it is underpowered.
If one can work through the gears or keep it in the powerband it is plenty powerful.

TDed the Magnite over the weekend. We went up an incline and the salesman urged us to take the foot off the pedals and try the creep function. What a boon! It will be great help on jammed flyovers and emerging out of basement parking ramps.

Is it a standard feature among automatics? Because the Amaze, Kiger, Sonet, Venue and Nexon sales executives made no mention of it. It's not in any sales brochure either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeva1706 (Post 5295451)
Only few negatives are the touchscreen, reverse camera and overall sound output but if that is something you can live with in features department, then Honda Amaze CVT is a VFM car which can be considered for a true upgrade under 10Lakhs compared to Nios, Aura, Dzire, Tigor.

Thanks. Have to test it on a flyover with crawling traffic. That's the bigger issue for me than screen/sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piyush Kanthak (Post 5295431)
Ignis is definitely suiting all your requirement... And please don't reject it just because of the rear look please.

Didn't reach the back. Wife rejected it after seeing the front grill :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH08 (Post 5295452)
I have not received good feedback regarding mileage of Hyundai cars after long ownership period.

I have 2 Hyundai cars. Both are giving fantastic mileage after 14 and 7 years, respectively.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by naru80 (Post 5295472)
TDed the Magnite over the weekend. We went up an incline and the salesman urged us to take the foot off the pedals and try the creep function. What a boon! It will be great help on jammed flyovers and emerging out of basement parking ramps.

Is it a standard feature among automatics? Because the Amaze, Kiger, Sonet, Venue and Nexon sales executives made no mention of it. It's not in any sales brochure either.

The Torque converter ATs, DCTs, CVTs and latest gen AMTs all have creep function now.
It is a common trait of automatics.

But the momentum with which the cars move forward or backward depends on the low end power and torque of the engine (also gear ratio to some extent) in case of DCTs, CVTs and AMTs.
The creep function aids in the stop and go traffic, not specifically a hill start assist function.

In case of Torque converter ATs the Torque gets multiplied anyway, so the creep function is usually better and stronger irrespective of the engine response or output.

This is a reason why the latest CVTs use a small torque converter instead of the starter clutch in the CVT unit (also provides a smoother operation).
Example being the CVT unit of The 5th gen City.

As far as I know, the Amaze, Jazz uses the older starter clutch based CVT unit.