Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2019, 09:28   #1
BHPian

Safe car that can accommodate 2 child seats?

I am looking to buy a car, preferably new. It will be used for a short office commute and to travel with the family (2 kids aged 3 and 1, wife and mother-in-law) on weekends. I currently own a 6 year old Liva, which has covered 1 lakh KM and has been a hassle free experience on a budget. I am looking for a similar experience with some more space and safety features.

MY requirements are:

1. Comfort for 3 adults and 2 child seats (preferably with ISOFIX points)
2. Reliabile
3. Safe

My maximum budget is 15 lakhs on road in Bangalore.

Please suggest what would be the best options.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 10:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Safe car that can accommodate 2 child seats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
IIRC, some cars from the current crop that come with Isofix points are Nexon, Creta, Marazzo and Hexa. Among these, my recommendation would be Nexon as it has a 5 * NCAP safety rating.

Marazzo also has a 4 * NCAP safety rating, but it's a relatively new product, while Nexon is an established one.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 11:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to buy a car, preferably new. It will be used for a short office commute and to travel with the family (2 kids aged 3 and 1, wife and mother-in-law) on weekends.
==========
Toyota Yaris is a good contender as it has the best safety features and comes with Toyota reliability.
Has 7 airbags, ISOFIX.
Since you require to install two car seats, it is important you check out the space for the third adult in the back after installing the car seats.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th February 2019 at 12:03. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 11:14   #4
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the replies. I might be able to get the Yaris G CVT in my budget. I will try for a test drive next weekend, though I am not very optimistic about the space in the rear seat after placing the child seats. Hopefully, they will be patient enough to let me take a test drive after installing the child seats.
Old 14th February 2019, 11:14   #5
Team-BHP Support

2 child seats and 1 adult is a tight fit in most hatchbacks and sedans. Perhaps you could take a look at Honda City (backseat is quite wide). If Honda City does not work out, then I would recommend either Maruti Ertiga or Mahindra Marazzo.

- 2 adults at the front
- 2 child seats in the middle row
- 1 adult in the last row + luggage

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th February 2019 at 11:15.
SmartCat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 11:35   #6
BHPian

EcoSport has two child seat anchor points on left and right, however, there would be very little space left for he third adult in the middle.

I would recommend to consider the XUV300, as it has a middle passenger 3 point seat belt with headrest. Hence ideally, it should have enough room at the back for 2 child seats and an adult.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 11:57   #7
BHPian

I guess I'll try the City and Ertiga also. SmartCat, I curious why you mentioned putting two child seats in the middle row. Any problems with putting one child seat in the third row, so that everyone can sit comfortably?

I expect my office commute to reduce significantly, and the car would mostly be used only on weekends. The possibility of a ban on 10 year old diesel cars and new emission standards coming soon make me nervous about considering a diesel car. So, the Marazzo is not considered for now.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 12:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess I'll try the City and Ertiga also. SmartCat, I curious why you mentioned putting two child seats in the middle row. Any problems with putting one child seat in the third row, so that everyone can sit comfortably?
Infants and toddlers might make a big fuss if you put them out of sight in the 3rd row. I guess 'who sits where' depends on how old the kids are.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 12:48   #9
BHPian

I've a Creta with 2 ISOFIX points but I'm pretty certain it won't accommodate an adult after fixing 2 child seats. With that requirement, you'll need a vehicle with 3 rows of seat.

However, if you're considering City, it will be worthwhile to check out Jazz. Same width but a couple grand cheaper.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 13:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

I had once checked by fitting 2 car seats (one small for infants upto 1 year which is no longer used as my child outgrew it, and the other a full size one which would last for quite a while) on the 2 sides of the rear seat in my Jazz - just for curiosity's sake.
Points noted:

1. An average sized adult barely fits in the middle
2. Ingress and egress is very problematic - someone needs to take out the kid from the curbside, remove the carseat and then only the adult in the middle can come out.

If 2 carseats are to be used, I would suggest a car with 3 rows.
blackasta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 18:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Ironically, the Liva and Etios I think are best suited to seat three at the back very comfortably. So they may be your best best for 2 seats and an adult. The Nexon and Ecosport can definitely not accommodate 2 child seats and an adult.

As already mentioned, a 6/7 seater would suit your need perfectly. Something like the Marazzo where an adult can sit comfortably in the third row.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 18:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to buy a car, preferably new. It will be used for a short office commute and to travel with the family (2 kids aged 3 and 1, wife and mother-in-law) on weekends. I currently own a 6 year old Liva, which has covered 1 lakh KM and has been a hassle free experience on a budget. I am looking for a similar experience with some more space and safety features.

MY requirements are:

1. Comfort for 3 adults and 2 child seats (preferably with ISOFIX points)
2. Reliabile
3. Safe

My maximum budget is 15 lakhs on road in Bangalore.

2 Child seats + 1 adult at the back is tough, especially when the kids are very young and you have to put them in full size car seats. We run a similar config in our X3 many times and the rear passenger finds it tough enough to make a deal with the front passenger to swap places every other hour. My kids are now 7 and 4 so I have got rid of the full size baby seats and got them child seats for 4 to 8 year group which tend to be narrower. If the adult sitting in the back is of small build it may be easier, but even in a full size crossover like X3 it is tough ask.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2019, 18:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

I had the same use case as yours once and I found the XUV500 to be incredible in terms of space for 2 car seats and a full grown adult to sit in the middle. Not sure if it falls within your budget though.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 07:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Etios perfectly fits your requirement. The only car with 3 3-point seat belt at rear.

I can rule out Yaris, S-Cross, Ecosport, Nexon straightaway for you. These don't have enough space for a full size adult with 2 car seats up.

All except top end Marazzo fit your budget, which you can consider for the extra practicality.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2019, 07:56   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Safe car that can accommodate 2 child seats?

You need a REALLY big back seat to accommodate 2 child seats + an adult. While BHPians have given you excellent suggestions, I might add:

- Also consider pre-owned cars. That way, you could get a bigger car within your budget.

OR

- For highway runs & long drives, get a spacious self-drive rental from Zoom Car etc.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks