Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2019, 18:12   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: What Petrol AT SUV to replace my 10-year old Honda City?

You should be look at the Ford Ecosport or Creta. Both are old school 6-speed transmissions, which are pretty risk-free.

Quote:
I do agree with you, the reviews of the not-so-great transmission and the abysmal FE numbers is what is stopping me from going for the Petrol Compass.
Not just the Compass. Any petrol AT in general is going to reward you with 1.5-2 kpl lower than your MT. Lived with one, and didn't really work with my high usage.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 20:24   #17

At this budget, you can start looking at the used Bimmers 320d, X1 under the sub 40k km mark. The thing is that the scales of luck should tip on your side as most of the used germans are a little tricky however these can be mitigated to an extent if you do proper scrutiny of the vehicle and a thorough check of the service history before sealing the deal.

There are a lot of 320d and X1 owners on this forum who will be more than happy to help you out and also check all the ownership threads posted by bimmer owners of tbhp. Once you do that then there will be no looking back. . All the best for your hunt.
$tar_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 23:24   #18
BHPian

Actually Hyundai Tucson is one more option you can look at but its not a mainstream car with much sales. But you can always take a test drive and then decide.
Also, please note that Ford Ecosport comes with a torque converter and not a CVT and is under 4 meters.
Accius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 23:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by $tar_boy View Post
At this budget, you can start looking at the used Bimmers 320d, X1 under the sub 40k km mark. The thing is that the scales of luck should tip on your side as most of the used germans are a little tricky however these can be mitigated to an extent if you do proper scrutiny of the vehicle and a thorough check of the service history before sealing the deal.

There are a lot of 320d and X1 owners on this forum who will be more than happy to help you out and also check all the ownership threads posted by bimmer owners of tbhp. Once you do that then there will be no looking back. . All the best for your hunt.
Thank you, you're the 3rd person to suggest a BMW! I'm a little intimated by the thought of owning one, to be honest and also a little wary about the running costs, but I was told earlier in this thread that the costs are not as high as one might assume.
Old 27th May 2019, 00:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
I drive a pre-owned Honda City since 2015. It's a 2009, 3rd Gen Honda City ...

Would appreciate suggestions from members here. Thanks!
Well in your budget the only high GC petrol AT currently available are Compass and Tucson. But since you are coming from Honda stable, I would strongly recommend waiting for the upcoming HR-V. It's surely coming as per the Honda folks, they apparently have had some discussions as well with Honda folks on those lines. Expect it to be priced slightly higher than Creta and maybe at par or below Tucson. Being a tried and tested global product it should be fairly reliable and more frugal than the other two.

Should be a smooth transition for you.

P.S: Did you check out the civic? As per reviews the GC issue is sorted in that. At 165mm it should scrape much lesser than the 3rd gen city

Last edited by SoumenD : 27th May 2019 at 00:11.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 10:47   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What Petrol AT SUV to replace my 10-year old Honda City?

Quote:
I drive a pre-owned Honda City since 2015. It's a 2009, 3rd Gen Honda City and I absolutely love the way it drives. Despite being old, I haven't really had any major issues with it, it still averages me about 10-11 km per liter (almost 90% city driving) and I really really love the engine - the power delivery is great and handling is superb!
My kind of guy! First & foremost, congrats on keeping the Honda City till the 10-year mark . You are a man who is wise with his money.

If I wanted to bring home a 25-lakh Petrol AT SUV, my top pick would be the Hyundai Tucson. Very modern, very premium, nice diesel, comfy ride quality, feature-loaded, good safety kit & excellent reliability (important since you are coming from Honda and keep your cars for long). Petrol engine will do the job, but I recommend the diesel.

My other recommendation would be the Compass Diesel AT, if it is priced well. Wait for our review. The car has potential. I know you want a petrol, but be open to diesels as the current genre of oil-burners are fantastic. Avoid the Compass Petrol AT though, it is pretty sad.

Since you drive a pre-worshipped car, you are obviously comfortable with used cars. Thus, I would strongly recommend the BMW X1 (current gen + excellent reliability), Ford Endeavour 3.2 (if you're okay with the size - it is a spectacular SUV) or just wait a bit for the new CR-V to hit the used market. Because the CR-V is overpriced, it'll sink like the Titanic in the used market.

25 lakhs is a lot of money. Be sure to spend it on something you absolutely & totally LOVE .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
You can also check out the Duster petrol. It is a competent vehicle available as a great VFM package.
The Duster will be a downgrade from the City in terms of engine, interiors etc.

Last edited by GTO : 27th May 2019 at 10:49.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 22:36   #22
BHPian

I am in same sort of dilemma as you. Considered Fortuner Petrol AT but unfortunately no vehicle was available for test drive. I would be testing Tuscon Petrol AT soon. Just sat in CRV at a display in a mall but did not like the ingress ergonomics, plus it appeared to be small (I use an XUV). With Compass, it appears that the GC is less. I haven't checked the figures technically but it appears lesser than XUV.

One thing that has put me into two minds regarding Petrol version of SUVs is those would definitely return low value when you go to sell them after 5+ years of use. Petrol SUVs have low demand in the market it appears.

New Thar Petrol could be worth a wait too as well as Kia's SUV
Car-riedAway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 23:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
  • SUV
  • Transmission - automatic
  • Price - I'm okay to spend up to 25 lacs OTR.
Since you have time and a good budget, I would advise you to wait for the Kia Sportage - I hope it is launched.

Tucson Petrol would be my next choice. It is basically the Hyundai version of the Kia Sportage.

Honda CR-V petrol will touch 32 lakhs but it is a flawless car that won't let you down.
Member Sahil has shared his ownership experience on the CR-V thread. It will guide you on what to expect.

All the best in your search.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 08:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't suggest a brand new petrol SUV if you're planning to sell it in 6 years.
My choices would be:
1. Low mileage used petrol CR-V. Save some bucks from your budget for your next car.
2. Any new diesel AT SUV- Hexa, XUV, Tucson etc and sell it at around 5 years if the 10-year rule is implemented.
3. Other used cars as people have suggested.
4. Wait for a few months after the MG/Kia products are launched.

I'd stay away from EcoSport and Venue unless you have a good reason to downsize.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 28th May 2019 at 08:10.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 11:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
I would strongly recommend waiting for the upcoming HR-V.

P.S: Did you check out the civic?
Yes, I will definitely want to check out the HR-V. Not too keen on getting a sedan now, so the Civic isn't for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I wanted to bring home a 25-lakh Petrol AT SUV, my top pick would be the Hyundai Tucson.

My other recommendation would be the Compass Diesel AT, if it is priced well. Wait for our review. The car has potential.
Thank you, the Tucson seems to be the most consistent recommendation for me. Will test drive it for sure. The Diesel AT Compass Trailhawk will most probably be way out of my budget unless they get the gearbox down to lower variants too

Quote:
I know you want a petrol, but be open to diesels as the current genre of oil-burners are fantastic.
Will probably have to be open to Diesel as well looking at the options available!

Quote:
Since you drive a pre-worshipped car, you are obviously comfortable with used cars. Thus, I would strongly recommend the BMW X1 (current gen + excellent reliability), Ford Endeavour 3.2 (if you're okay with the size - it is a spectacular SUV) or just wait a bit for the new CR-V to hit the used market. Because the CR-V is overpriced, it'll sink like the Titanic in the used market.
My 5th X1 recommendation been reading X1 related threads and reviews since yesterday! Endeavour will be a bit of a pain to park in my parking slot, too big for me. Yes, used CR-V looks like a great option too

Quote:
25 lakhs is a lot of money. Be sure to spend it on something you absolutely & totally LOVE .
Very true, I will keep this in mind and not rush my decision. I guess, best is to wait and watch for new launches and keep tracking prices of good used X1s and CR-Vs. Not in a hurry to get a new car anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post

One thing that has put me into two minds regarding Petrol version of SUVs is those would definitely return low value when you go to sell them after 5+ years of use. Petrol SUVs have low demand in the market it appears.

New Thar Petrol could be worth a wait too as well as Kia's SUV
Thanks, yes will probably need to be open to Diesels now. I'm looking forward to Kia's launch as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Member Sahil has shared his ownership experience on the CR-V thread. It will guide you on what to expect.

All the best in your search.
Thank you, I will check out his thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
1. Low mileage used petrol CR-V. Save some bucks from your budget for your next car.

I'd stay away from EcoSport and Venue unless you have a good reason to downsize.
Yup, will keep an eye out for a nice used CR-V! Also, not really considering EcoSport/Venue. Will be a downgrade simply from a cabin size perspective.
Old 28th May 2019, 12:09   #26
BHPian

While I understand that you're looking for an SUV and not inclined towards a sedan, I would just advice you to keep an open mind.

Just go and test drive the Octavia. That's the one and only successor to the Honda City, IMHO. I'm not even asking you to consider it, just test drive it.

You will see yourself having a tough time convincing yourself to let go of this and buy a SUV instead. Nothing beats the style, class and comfort of a sedan.

We were in the same boat a few years back, could not decide what to upgrade to from our 3rd Gen Honda City. After much confusion, went ahead with the 4th Gen Honda City.
bansal.sushant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 14:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup, will keep an eye out for a nice used CR-V! Also, not really considering EcoSport/Venue. Will be a downgrade simply from a cabin size perspective.
A nice used CRV is like a Unicorn (very elusive, if it exists). The ones which are in decent shape are priced at levels which just dont justify the age of the car.

Also, I have not found a single specimen with very well kept interiors (they are soft leather and dont age very well).

I had restricted my budget to 5 lakhs though (as CRV has been discontinued for a while now)
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 22:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see I am not alone with similar car hunting dilemma. Well my usage is going to be bit more than yours, and i am still confused between SUV(Diesel) vs Sedan(petrol). After going through various threads and reviews, I too feel its better to wait till early 2020.

I am waiting for the kia Seltos and I think it should be the car worth waiting for(Especially if it is based on next gen Creta platform). I too find Creta bit bland. Seltos should be on our roads by Diwali I hope.

Other option would be Harrier automatic. Some of the Ergonomic issues i faced can be solved by an automatic and hopefully the fit and finish levels should improve by early 2020.

Are you sure about SUV ? Since you have been enjoying sedan for so long !! New Civic/ Octavia too fall under same budget and often end up in my short list.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 17:32   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

I am waiting for the kia Seltos and I think it should be the car worth waiting for(Especially if it is based on next gen Creta platform).

Are you sure about SUV ? Since you have been enjoying sedan for so long !! New Civic/ Octavia too fall under same budget and often end up in my short list.
Yes, basis whatever I've seen so far, the Celtos seems to tick most of my boxes. Really keen to test drive the 1.4L turbo petrol with the DCT!

Yes, fairly sure about an SUV body as my next car
Old 12th July 2019, 08:09   #30
BHPian

I am in a similar dilemma. Want to change my wife's 3 year old Wagon R Vxi AGS which has done about 20k kms on the odo. Not too happy with the AGS concept given that I drive the Crysta 2.8 Z AT which is an amazing car. Not interested in sedans & hatchbacks primarily because of their low seating. Maruti is shortly coming out with Brezza petrol AT but I understand it will again be an AMT which is best avoided. Am looking for a CVT or the conventional AT box. Only manufacturers who I am comfortable with are Toyota, Maruti types who have good after sales service coupled with economical spares and a good quality product which is not changed/ phased out too soon. Am also thinking of waiting for the Wagon R EV getting launched next year. Any views ?

Most Viewed