Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2019, 19:19   #1
BHPian

What Petrol AT SUV to replace my 10-year old Honda City?

Hi All,

I drive a pre-owned Honda City since 2015. It's a 2009, 3rd Gen Honda City and I absolutely love the way it drives. Despite being old, I haven't really had any major issues with it, it still averages me about 10-11 km per liter (almost 90% city driving) and I really really love the engine - the power delivery is great and handling is superb!

However, the manual transmission has started taking it's toll on my left knee and the car's age has started to show with some rusting and general wear & tear.
I'm looking to replace it with a nice, powerful and fun-to-drive vehicle. I am open to look at pre-owned options, but first preference would definitely be a new car.
Here are some important considerations for me -
  • SUV - I'm keen on getting an SUV as my next - the increased ground clearance being an important factor. Don't really need a 4x4 though.
  • Size - not too big, not too small. Definitely 4m+ (can't go for a Venue for example, coming from a City - I just wouldn't be happy with the space inside), yet not going into the Endeavor category either.
  • Reliability - I would want to drive this car for at least 6-7 years, so would definitely like to have something as reliable as my trusty old Honda City. Our family's old Tata Sierra, while a fantastic car to drive, also had it's fair share of problems and used to spend a significant time in garages. Wouldn't want that happening again.
  • Engine - Looking at petrol, my daily usage is not even 20kms
  • Transmission - automatic, without doubt. Not keen on AMTs.
  • Driving pleasure - Something as good as my current iVTEC
  • Price - I'm okay to spend up to 25 lacs OTR.

Now, I'll be honest - the Jeep Compass has tugged at my heartstrings like no other car has, but I'm wary because of the mixed reviews about the Petrol automatic's driving dynamics.
I am also ok to wait up till early 2020 for my purchase because I know some interesting cars are going to be launched (looking at you, Kia Motors). If the Tata Harrier comes with a Petrol Automatic, and sorts out the issues that have been mentioned in the official review, I might consider that too. For some reason, I'm not really a fan of Creta and not really looking at it as an option.

Would appreciate suggestions from members here. Thanks!
Shreyas_H is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 19:32   #2
BHPian

re: What Petrol AT SUV to replace my 10-year old Honda City?

KIA sp2i petrol looks worthy waiting for. My only worry is it could be very much Creta like in overall dynamics.

You can also check out the Duster petrol. It is a competent vehicle available as a great VFM package.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 20:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
KIA sp2i petrol looks worthy waiting for. My only worry is it could be very much Creta like in overall dynamics.

You can also check out the Duster petrol. It is a competent vehicle available as a great VFM package.
Thanks. What's frustrating with the Duster is that the Petrol doesn't come in the top trim. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

That would make it miss out on a lot of bells&whistles. Plus it has only 2 airbags as standard, I guess. It is quite a good car though. Have done a trip to Spiti Valley in a friend's Duster few years back and it held up very well across the tough terrain.
Old 25th May 2019, 20:27   #4
BHPian

Well I’m in the exact same situation as you! The 3rd gen City is not a particularly easy car to replace.

From the current lot, the Jeep Compass is probably the best option for you, since you’re already smitten by it. Take a long test drive of the petrol AT, and see if you like it. Also check out the Hyundai Tucson.

Some cars that you could wait for are the compact SUV from Kia, Hyundai Kona and Honda HR-V. The Kona and HR-V will be launched within this year.

With so many new models coming, I think the best idea is to wait a bit.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 25th May 2019 at 20:29.
Aaron:) is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 20:31   #5
BHPian

Why don't you look at CR-V. You get the same kind of reliability from Honda and driving pleasure is also quite good with car like dynamics and SUV (soft) looks. Automatic is available and it may fit in your budget after some haggling with the dealer.
adi_gt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 21:15   #6
BHPian

Get a test drive of EcoSport 1.5 AT. Has 6 airbags and other safety stuff. Is a driver's car and the cost of ownership would be low. 1.5 dragon engine offers good performance and the CVT should be reliable.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2019, 23:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
Well I’m in the exact same situation as you! The 3rd gen City is not a particularly easy car to replace.

From the current lot, the Jeep Compass is probably the best option for you, since you’re already smitten by it. Take a long test drive of the petrol AT, and see if you like it. Also check out the Hyundai Tucson.

Some cars that you could wait for are the compact SUV from Kia, Hyundai Kona and Honda HR-V. The Kona and HR-V will be launched within this year.

With so many new models coming, I think the best idea is to wait a bit.
I agree with you, waiting for all of them to launch is probably the best idea. I hear the Compass face-lift is coming soon too, hopefully it will add cruise control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Why don't you look at CR-V. You get the same kind of reliability from Honda and driving pleasure is also quite good with car like dynamics and SUV (soft) looks. Automatic is available and it may fit in your budget after some haggling with the dealer.
Isn't the Petrol CRV 28 lacs ex-showroom? My budget is 25 on-road!
Doubt the dealers would give that much discount. Wouldn't mind a 7 seater but don't really need one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Get a test drive of EcoSport 1.5 AT. Has 6 airbags and other safety stuff. Is a driver's car and the cost of ownership would be low. 1.5 dragon engine offers good performance and the CVT should be reliable.
Thanks, I will try it out. A guy in my building has an EcoSport - purely from a size perspective, it looks a bit small to me, but I'll take a TD of the petrol!
Shreyas_H is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 07:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Just the other day I was talking to a potential customer of Tata Harrier trying to dissuade him from buying a MT car in this maddening traffic. But I was at a loss of words when he asked me the obvious question that if not harrier which other SUV comes with an AT transmission in the range of 20L. The answer honestly is not many ( he too was not inclined towards a Creta).

I would suggest you to take a look at either the Tata Hexa or the Hyundai Tuscon. Both are offered with an AT box and have a proven track record. The Hexa would save you some money too! Another car that comes to mind is the XUV500 AT but I am unsure about the driving dynamics of that car and have had no experience with it.

Alternatively hold on to your car a little longer and wait for the Harrier AT and the Compass diesel AT in variants other than the Trailhawk.

I do not see any merit is buying a Petrol AT SUV which would return me 6-8 kmpl in the city. If not financially, then psychologically it would ruin the ownership experience for me. But if you see yourself being able to live with that, then definitely consider the Jeep Compass.

Since you are open to used cars, I would make another suggestion. Get yourself a used BMW X1. BMWs are usually reliable. It is a fantastic car to drive, safe and loaded with features. The foot print is similar to the SUVs you are considering. Just yesterday someone was telling me that the new one is being offered for 33-34L OTR ( both petrol and diesel) and I am sure similar discounts would be available in your city too. So if you can increase the budget then get a new one. But the way these things depreciate, I would suggest going with the used car route specially since you will easily find plenty of examples in Mumbai.

Last edited by drmohitg : 26th May 2019 at 08:07.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 11:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I would suggest you to take a look at either the Tata Hexa or the Hyundai Tuscon. Both are offered with an AT box and have a proven track record. The Hexa would save you some money too! Another car that comes to mind is the XUV500 AT but I am unsure about the driving dynamics of that car and have had no experience with it.
Yes, Tucson is one car that I'm looking to test drive for sure. Hexa doesn't have a Petrol, so out of consideration for me.

Quote:
Alternatively hold on to your car a little longer and wait for the Harrier AT and the Compass diesel AT in variants other than the Trailhawk.
Yup, the Harrier AT is something I'm planning to wait for. Hopefully should come out by the end of this year.

Quote:
I do not see any merit is buying a Petrol AT SUV which would return me 6-8 kmpl in the city. If not financially, then psychologically it would ruin the ownership experience for me. But if you see yourself being able to live with that, then definitely consider the Jeep Compass.
I do agree with you, the reviews of the not-so-great transmission and the abysmal FE numbers is what is stopping me from going for the Petrol Compass. I am yet to take a test drive though.

Quote:
Since you are open to used cars, I would make another suggestion. Get yourself a used BMW X1. BMWs are usually reliable. It is a fantastic car to drive, safe and loaded with features. The foot print is similar to the SUVs you are considering. J
Haha, man wouldn't that be great!
But I think my low usage will not justify the ownership cost of a luxury brand!
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 12:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
Hi All,
[*]Reliability - I would want to drive this car for at least 6-7 years, so would definitely like to have something as reliable as my trusty old Honda City. Our family's old Tata Sierra, while a fantastic car to drive, also had it's fair share of problems and used to spend a significant time in garages. Wouldn't want that happening again.
[*]Engine - Looking at petrol, my daily usage is not even 20kms
[*]Transmission - automatic, without doubt. Not keen on AMTs.
[*]Driving pleasure - Something as good as my current iVTEC
[*]Price - I'm okay to spend up to 25 lacs OTR.[/list]
I would recommend you test drive the BR-V. Its a Honda, meaning you would be comfortable in upgrading from your City and it also has CVT which is good enough for city use and its an iVTEC too.
It checks all the other requirements too.
AdityaH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 12:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaH View Post
I would recommend you test drive the BR-V. Its a Honda, meaning you would be comfortable in upgrading from your City and it also has CVT which is good enough for city use and its an iVTEC too.
It checks all the other requirements too.
Ah yes, to be honest I really don't like the look of the BR-V. It's too MPVish for my liking. Plus the CVT isn't given in the top petrol trim, which isn't cool.

I'd rather wait for the HR-V to launch, the BR-V isn't faring too well in India and Honda might just discontinue it in the future.
Old 26th May 2019, 13:19   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Haha, man wouldn't that be great!
But I think my low usage will not justify the ownership cost of a luxury brand!

If you go through the multiple threads on the forum, you will realise that the ownership cost is not too high. It is part perception too.

If you are looking at petrol AT vehicles, then you can also wait for the Hector.
Old 26th May 2019, 13:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
If you go through the multiple threads on the forum, you will realise that the ownership cost is not too high. It is part perception too.
All right, will be sure to check out the ownership threads.

Yes, the Hector is also a car I plan to TD!
Old 26th May 2019, 14:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I drive a pre-owned Honda City since 2015. It's a 2009, 3rd Gen Honda City and I absolutely love the way it drives.
Welcome to the club my friend. I am partially in the same boat as you. I own the 3rd Gen Honda City, love it and finding it hard to replace it with something that is equally good and value for money. Only exception at my end is that I am fine with a Diesel as well but my search is still going on.

Quote:
I am also ok to wait up till early 2020 for my purchase because I know some interesting cars are going to be launched
Will not recommend to wait and buy a new product which is just launched. Too risky, in my opinion, to be the buyer of the first batch of any new product. The car scenario is expected to change a lot in coming years. Plus you are looking for a Petrol SUV.

Quote:
I am open to look at pre-owned options, but first preference would definitely be a new car.
Here are some important considerations for me -
  • SUV
  • Size
  • Reliability
  • Engine
  • Transmission
  • Driving pleasure
  • Price
Given your needs the following come to mind:
1) New Jeep Compass - Obviously You have taken this in to consideration so not listing anything more about it.

2) New Hyundai Tucson - Good car with features and will give you some exclusivity. I am not sure about the Fun To Drive factor though. I doubt it will keep you as happy as your current ride.

3) New Innova Crysta Petrol AT - Fund, loaded with features and reliable. Other than size, it has no shortcoming.

4) Used CRV - Honda iVtec, Spacious, AT. Not too hard to find. Other than low FE, no other issue as such.

5) Used Mitsubishi Outlander - Capable, Reliable but you will need a good FNG expert in Mitsubishi. It will be 4x4 (added bonus) and is powerful too - 165bhp. FE will be very low though. Should be easy to find in NCR. One Bhpian did buy one from that area and he was super happy with it. Except that he has moved to Mumbai now and so he had to sell it :(

6) Used Audi Q3 or BMW X1 - Badge value, Feature loaded and very much fun to drive (X1 has 192 bhp and Q3 has 148 bhp). The service bills might be high though.

7) Used Toyota Fortuner - You know the advantages of the same. Except for the size, everything should be good here.

Mahindra sells a Petrol SUV as well - The XUV500 Petrol AT but will never recommend that as it parsley loaded in features and it is not known for reliability as such.

If I were you, I would try to find a very good used car (a bit recent though) and buy an extended warranty. But you won't go wrong with any of the new purchases as well.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 15:58   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
4) Used CRV - Honda iVtec, Spacious, AT. Not too hard to find. Other than low FE, no other issue as such.

5) Used Mitsubishi Outlander - Capable, Reliable but you will need a good FNG expert in Mitsubishi. It will be 4x4 (added bonus) and is powerful too - 165bhp. FE will be very low though. Should be easy to find in NCR. One Bhpian did buy one from that area and he was super happy with it. Except that he has moved to Mumbai now and so he had to sell it :(

6) Used Audi Q3 or BMW X1 - Badge value, Feature loaded and very much fun to drive (X1 has 192 bhp and Q3 has 148 bhp). The service bills might be high though.
Thanks for these suggestions! The Innova Crysta - again MPVish so I'm not too keen.
I'm glad I posted this thread since I'm getting recommendations I wouldn't have even thought of!

Most Viewed