Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2019, 16:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does it make any sense to buy the Fiat Linea T-Jet in 2019?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Dated purely in terms of age and familiarity or in other parameters like technology, power, fun?

How about a new Linea TJet with a suspension upgrade and may be a remap?
It is literally dated in terms of age itself

Like i said, it is a lovely car. A last of a dying breed here. Petrol turbo!

It's got all wheel discs, abs as standard, good handling even with that GC, nice thick tyres, lovely steering feedback.

These are all factors which made me go for it over the city or vento as was suggested by man of my peers, 5 years ago.

The car still puts a huge grin on my face when i take it out on the highway. In the city not so much

The only niggles are the abysmal city mileage and the hit or miss service support.

Ultimately it is your choice. Our opinions are just that, opinions. Make your choice and be happy with it and have fun.

PS: Wolf remap is amazing! The old GC kit of the first gen lineas are not available as a kit and the parts add up to 30k or so.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 17:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I want to buy a Linea 125S. Yes, the one that's going to go out of production anytime from now. Well, the straight answer is a big NO. I know. But some cars to some are like that - you just wouldn't want to let it go.
There are cars and then there are cars....

You have to make a choice on what you want from the car. Issues like part availability, service etc are secondary because if you love the product, you will find a way to get parts and good service done from anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
With the Abarth, you'll face the same issues (outdated, parts issues, service, poor resale, weird ergonomics), but at least it will be WORTH IT . There is simply no 10-lakh hatchback like the Punto Abarth in India, and I doubt we'll be seeing one anytime soon.
Bingo. No car comes close to the amount of fun you can get from a Stock Abarth. I'm not even talking about any mods and all - which will take it to a whole new level. And at 8.8L on road, its just 20k more than the Swift Zxi+ (Mumbai prices).

Quote:
Without any exaggeration, I can say that the Punto Abarth is as much fun on the open road as a 70-lakh rupee 530d.

Quote:
Not sure how practical it would be to have an Abarth as the only car - although it is indeed leagues ahead in dynamics when compared to the Linea TJet, the extra space, boot and features that the Linea gives is what is making me think.
I have used my Abarth to goto Spiti, move homes, take 4 adults + their luggage on a long trip, used in city, used it as a hotel (kid you not, slept a night in the Abarth on my Spiti trip) and much more....

The one aspect where Linea loses and is a deal breaker is its suspension. The new one gets a setup that can't be reverted to pre-GC setup unless you get it from a used car. The springs are no longer made by FCA so even if you change shocks, it'll leave you about halfway between Abarth and Linea.

If at all a boot is a must on some trips, you can buy an Abarth for 8.8L and spend about 2-2.5L on a used Corolla for days when the boot is an absolute must. Plus it'll give you a car to use when you are waiting for a part to come by - trust me, that will happen.

Just as I type this, my Abarth is waiting for a front bumper due to a minor brush with a truck. Thanks to my SA, the part was ordered on Saturday itself (day of incident) and insurance approval is was scheduled today. Hopefully by weekend the bumper comes from the plant and I can take her out on the weekend.

A pic sometime back. She recently did a long trip with my folks and is just shy of 60,000 km in just over 3 years. Enjoying it? Hell yeah. My only grouse is the poor choice of exterior colours. I wanted a smoking red or a yellow shade, but once you sit inside, you can't see the colour. Even if Fiat shuts shop today I will have no regrets on picking her up:
Does it make any sense to buy the Fiat Linea T-Jet in 2019?-ae16f6f5a914462293158ce8da31c6f3.jpg
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 01:57   #18
BHPian

With the present discount its a steal to buy a Linea T-jet.I would say its an Abarth detuned to perform like a formal daily driver.
Go for it if ur getting one brand new. it's a car that will serve your purpose that u have listed above. I am sure no other would satisfy your needs in the price budget.
msvg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:43   #19
BHPian

Hello All, requesting your opinion:

I am looking at buying a pre-owned car, and recently came across a Fiat Linea T-Jet priced in the range of 2L.

It is a 2010 Model, has run around 65k, first owner. My usage would be very less, and I do not intend to use the car beyond ~2-3 years.

The car looks fairly good in the photos; haven't driven it though.

Any advise will be of great help in terms of spares, reliability etc. and also is it good enough to buy.

Thanks
Rish
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:52   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post

I am looking at buying a pre-owned car, and recently came across a Fiat Linea T-Jet priced in the range of 2L.

It is a 2010 Model, has run around 65k, first owner. My usage would be very less, and I do not intend to use the car beyond ~2-3 years.

The car looks fairly good in the photos; haven't driven it though.

Rish
Hi Rish, 2L for a 2010 model Linea T-jet looks like a steal for such a good car. I paid Rs.3.7L for 2011 model Linea with 70K on the odo last year. But I got it from a fellow bhpian who had maintained the car well. Also, the initial batch of Linea Tjets came with the imported Tjet engine until 2011. I am not sure if it makes a difference, but my Tjet at 78K on the odo drives butter smooth.

Since you plan to keep the car only for 2~3 years and your running is low, I think it is a risk worth taking given the below conditions
1. You are buying from a direct owner and not a dealer. The dealers are known to tamper the mileage and you never know.
2. Test drive the car preferably using a known mechanic who can judge well on the condition of the car.
3. Ask for service history and bills of the car. At 60K, there is a major service due to change timing belt, alternator belt etc. If not done you may need to change it.
Also, if your drive is going to be maximum within city, I dont recommend the Tjet. The fuel efficiency is low (9~11km/l) and also can be pain to drive with narrow Bangalore reads. But if your intention to buy the Tjet is for highway trips, then look no further. 2L is a deal if the car is maintained well. I will not even bother about the Tyre condition at 2L car price. Just change them all.
All the very best on your hunt.

Last edited by gopikb : 3rd July 2019 at 14:59.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 16:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post

and also is it good enough to buy.
Hey Rish. If this is the only car in the family and is a daily driver, I would say approach with caution. The reason is it can easily be off the road for a week or two for minor incidents due to spares. My dad had an accident with his Esteem and it took them a month and a half to get the spares he needed, and that car has sold multiple times more than all Fiat's put together. Otherwise, it sounds like a good deal, assuming it has been well maintained
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 16:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I have a 2013 Punto. Two months back, I got rear ended. At first decided to get the hatch door replaced. However came to know that the hatch door is having a backlog of months. Finally got it repaired as i could not wait that long.

I would say, be extremely cautious.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 16:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi,

I have a 2013 Punto. Two months back, I got rear ended. At first decided to get the hatch door replaced. However came to know that the hatch door is having a backlog of months. Finally got it repaired as i could not wait that long.

I would say, be extremely cautious.

Hmmm. this is very true. Accident repair on any FIATs in future in India is most likely to end up with car getting scrapped. Would not be worth the repair cost and the waiting time. All we can do is "Pray" we dont get into such situations.

Last edited by gopikb : 3rd July 2019 at 16:55.
Old 15th July 2019, 16:33   #24
BHPian

I'm on my 2nd Linea, the current one a pre owned 2010 T Jet Plus that i picked up in pristine condition for < 2 Lacs in 2018.

I feel with Mopar in the picture now, the ASS and part availability both are very good, at least in Mumbai/Thane/Navi Mumbai.

In fact I had suffered with my earlier Diesel Emotion Pk, which I had purchased brand new and recollect once having to wait 20 days for a busted alternator.

With my T Jet till now have never faced part availability issue. Its a calculated risk, if I were getting a good price I'd buy the T Jet in 2019 too.
Old 15th July 2019, 17:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

You better make up your mind fast or FIAT may exit the market faster. You have almost no dealers and those service centers are nothing but FNG's in your locality and your brand new car may be a few years old lying out in the open. Good luck to you!
Old 9th September 2019, 20:57   #26
BHPian

One of the best cars which one can own spending under 10 lakhs. These days with the sweetest discounts on offer you can own a 2019 Linea Tjet at the cost of a Swift ZXI.

It is going to be very difficult to maintain it over a period of 7 years but if you live in a Tier 1 cities (Mumbai, Delhi or so) then it won't be as difficult to live with it as perceived. Infact Fiat is better in honouring warranty and authenticity of spare parts.

The parts do come albeit few days late but then you would never regret it once you start driving the Tjet. The engine has such high mod possibility which shall keep your curiosity in the car tantalizing for few years post warranty.

The issue faced by people like you and me is that there is no car which is as exiting as the Tjet/Abarth in the market with good after sales service.

Polo GT TSI is a great buy and with an extended warranty you can sleep in peace without worrying much about the DSG. It may help satiate you to an extent but not as good as a Tjet.

If you consider yourself an ardent driver, love to maintain your cars meticulously, forget the world when you are on the driver's seat and ready to visit the fuel station often only to be sure of more smiles as you drive, then go for it
Old 9th September 2019, 22:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

I you like to take "such" risks, then why not get a Skoda Rapid or VW Vento with a DSG and pray to God that you get lucky and car proves to be reliable. That way at least you'll have spares and service, ensured, rather than buy a FIAT.
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 18:21   #28
BHPian

One of the few regrets i have is not buying the TJet. Just thinking about it makes me feel depressed.
marutifan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 19:09   #29
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

My 2 friends have Linea T Jets.
Gorgeous looks
Fantastic build quality
Very comfortable
Superb responsive engine
Great to drive

I just cannot for the life of me figure out why such brilliant cars just dont seem to do well in India.

This persistent Maruti Mania and Hyundai and Honda and Toyota obsession is beyond me.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 06:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My 2 friends have Linea T Jets.
I just cannot for the life of me figure out why such brilliant cars just dont seem to do well in India.

This persistent Maruti Mania and Hyundai and Honda and Toyota obsession is beyond me.

Agree with you shankar. The T-jet was one of the first few cars in this price bracket which came with all 4 disk brakes and a very responsive engine. It has a very good build quality and none of the other cars except the Skoda Octavia came close to matching its driving dynamics on the highway. I have never driven a Vento or a Skoda Rapid though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks