Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2019, 23:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Does it make any sense to buy the Fiat Linea T-Jet in 2019?

It happens only in India where the average mindset is cheap and does not desire pleasures of life rather only buy what's trending around them and in their neighborhood.

No wonder HONDA the only jap player I love is paying for their decision in 2008 to go cheap on quality and sell more the Maruti way.
I have this input from Honda folks as during that time there was a Japanese advisory who mandated this move and its backfired instead.

Don't be surprised if Indians in the near future would only have Chinese cars and Maruti to choose from
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:58   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
It happens only in India where the average mindset is cheap and does not desire pleasures of life rather only buy what's trending around them and in their neighborhood.
The problem is - brands like FIAT didn't help much in changing this mindset. The plastics & fit-finish in a FIAT is worse than modern Mahindras. And that's saying a LOT considering one primarily made tractors till a couple of decades back.
Why could FIAT not stick to better quality and get good loyalist customers? With the cheap interiors & ergonomic goof ups - they turned enthusiasts as well as budget buyers away. If interiors were identical quality, any person would follow the herd and buy a Suzuki. Isn't that so?
Quote:
Don't be surprised if Indians in the near future would only have Chinese cars and Maruti to choose from
Let's hope all is not lost yet! A few Europeans, a couple of Koreans & a couple of Indians even, are trying to stand up to the paper-thin dashboard plastics!
Old 22nd November 2019, 14:14   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Let's hope all is not lost yet! A few Europeans, a couple of Koreans & a couple of Indians even, are trying to stand up to the paper-thin dashboard plastics!
No hope If Reliance decides to enter this segment as well!
Old 18th December 2019, 22:30   #34
BHPian

Hello all,

Just for everyone's info, I am planning to go for a used MJD linea (2015 model) for just 4 lakhs. I am looking to replace my Tiago XT Diesel which crossed just 1.12 lakh kms on the ODO, genuinely and single handedly driven. I am aware of the issues in regards to spare parts or any unforeseen accidental damage, however I still feel its a better buy over my existing tiago in regards to driving dynamics, cabin and boot space

Car is Gurgaon registered, service record is non accidental with general scheduled services. However, the car belongs to some company and not any individual. Its 48k driven.

Any expert comments / last minute checks? Please pour in.
Old 18th December 2019, 22:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Stay away from Fiats. They are brilliant cars but servicing and spare parts will be an issue if you wish to keep the car for another 5-7 years.

Rather go for a Tigor if you need a boot. With a lakh kms on Tiago you must be very well aware of all that is required to run Tata cars for long.
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 00:28   #36
BHPian

The Multijet Linea has parts in common with the DDiS. But any electronic problem or physical damage, it will be difficult in procuring the spare parts. Its too old now and past its prime. Besides 4 Lakhs is too much considering the car was relaunched with MJD for around 7 lakhs as the Linea Active.

Its better to get a VW Vento TDI, other than the injector issues in Pre-2012 models, its fairly reliable. Its more spacious than a Linea, nearly drives like one and you also get a far superior engine. Considering the fact that even after 10 years, the Polo family sells an average of 4000 cars per month, parts will be easy to get even after 5 to 7 years.

Last edited by Aditya_Bhp : 19th December 2019 at 00:31.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 00:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Just for everyone's info, I am planning to go for a used MJD linea (2015 model) for just 4 lakhs. I am looking to replace my Tiago XT Diesel which crossed just 1.12 lakh kms on the ODO, genuinely and single handedly driven. I am aware of the issues in regards to spare parts or any unforeseen accidental damage, however I still feel its a better buy over my existing tiago in regards to driving dynamics, cabin and boot space

Car is Gurgaon registered, service record is non accidental with general scheduled services. However, the car belongs to some company and not any individual. Its 48k driven.

We have three Fiats in the family, and I would say go for it if you think the car has been kept well. Check for oil consumption, pickup.

Parts are not an issue yet, and any parts you require are despatched within a week after placing an order at FASS, atleast by my experience.

Body parts may take few more days of lead time, but regular wear and tear maintenance parts are available very much readily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post

Its better to get a VW Vento TDI, other than the injector issues in Pre-2012 models, its fairly reliable. Its more spacious than a Linea
That the Vento is more spacious than a Linea is news to me.

The rear seat squab in Vento is shorter, and so is the legroom and headroom. Plus you have that enormous transmission tunnel hump which makes it more of a 4 seater than an occasional 5 seater.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 06:40   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Just for everyone's info, I am planning to go for a used MJD linea (2015 model) for just 4 lakhs.

A tough choice. It could be hit and go. I could just share my experience. Both my cars are Fiats - first one is my trusted Fiat Punto which I bought in 2009, still going very strong. Fiats age well mainly because of the build quality. In my 10+ years of ownership of this car, the only major issue I have had is the ECU failing when I was driving near my home which needed complete replacement. This was during my 3rd year of ownership and it was replaced free of cost by Fiat. Everything else was just regular service once a year. The odo is at 94000 now.
I bought a preowned 2011 Fiat Linea Tjet for my long drives in 2018 with 70000Kms on the odo. The odo is at 83K now and it has been a wonderful machine so far. The previous owner who is also a bhpian seem to have treated it well and hence it continues to give very good service. It was on stock clutch when I bought it. I changed to completely new clutch set including master cylinder as a safety measure for my long drives. Otherwise, the Fiat build quality takes care of the ageing part very well and it is a complete drivers car.
Enjoying both of them so far and have no intentions of changing them soon as long as they behave they way they do right now. I have a very good FNG near my home which makes the maintenance part very easy for me. If you are looking at fuss free ownership for the next 5 years, ping the bhpians in NCR region and identify a good FNG. Parts can be ordered at 99rpm.com and I have never seen any shortages so far.

All the very best mate on your final decision.
gopikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 07:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

Hi,

I can say from my experience of owning a Punto for 6 years now that has run 96K Kms.
A good fiat will be with you for long. They age well and drive well quite long. It is essential though that the car needs to be one of the good examples. With the way their After sales is now, I would not want to take risk with a car that has even a slight chance of having seen improper maintenance.
I would suggest to go through the buying a used car in India thread on Tbhp and look for all possible areas of trouble. Take it to a trusted mechanic to thoroughly check the car. If it is a good example, it will serve you well.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 07:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi,

I can say from my experience of owning a Punto for 6 years now that has run 96K Kms.
A good fiat will be with you for long. They age well and drive well quite long. It is essential though that the car needs to be one of the good examples. With the way their After sales is now, I would not want to take risk with a car that has even a slight chance of having seen improper maintenance.
I would suggest to go through the buying a used car in India thread on Tbhp and look for all possible areas of trouble. Take it to a trusted mechanic to thoroughly check the car. If it is a good example, it will serve you well.
Is so much hassle worth for a city dweller? I mean I have seen Fiat owners have love-hate relationship. For a normal professional it would not be wise to keep the car parked for many days especially if it is the only car. With Fiat ASS being very few and only in major cities, it is wise to stay away.

I would not suggest to buy a pre owned Fiat now. A new one with good discounts may be available which is a safer bet.
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 08:42   #41
KPR
BANNED

Buying car from say MS or Hyundai or Tata quoting availability of spares in no-way gives one peace of mind. It all boils down to the dealer approach in servicing/repairing your car. We own a Punto (75k kms) and an Ignis (6k kms). Recently our Ignis had a small accident in one of the high manhole bump. After several follow up for a tow vehicle through Maruti and finally through local contacts only we could arrange a tow vehicle and hand over our car to "NEXA" on 09.12.2019. Today is 10th day and I have been informed that we will get our car only on 10.01.2020. Reason quoted by them "spare unavailable and have been ordered". So where on earth peace of mind by owning a "Maruti"? OTOH, I gave my punto to FASS for a minor accident repair in 2017. The car was repaired, body works also done, painted and was handed over to me in flat 3 days. Never ever Fiat ASS had used me terms like unavailability of spares. I hate to see when I see a comment that says peace of mind by owning a Maruti or Hyundai ! In my brother's Xcent, during a long drive one of the Hyundai ASC couldn't even diagnose a turbo failure. Asked him to go to next Hyundai dealer at 100+ km away. He had to drive the car at 50kmph for more than 2 hours to reach that ASC only to find an answer that only the ASC where he had purchased could rectify it! Atlast drove carefully for 500 Km at 50 kmph spitting black smoke reached home ASC to detect a leaking hose due to a rat bite which could have been identified by a competent ASC.

My view point is a competent and good approach of ASC what matters than a brand ASC. My experience with Fiat and recently with one of FNG on my Fiat has been excellent so far. Happy owner of a Punto and will continue to own this car for next decade too.

Last edited by KPR : 19th December 2019 at 08:44.
KPR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 10:05   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Hi,

A good fiat will be with you for long. They age well and drive well quite long. It is essential though that the car needs to be one of the good examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Buying car from say MS or Hyundai or Tata quoting availability of spares in no-way gives one peace of mind. It all boils down to the dealer approach in servicing/repairing your car.
My experience with Fiat and recently with one of FNG on my Fiat has been excellent so far. Happy owner of a Punto and will continue to own this car for next decade too.
vibbs / KPR, you guys were bang on. Looks like we have a very small bunch of people who are so happy with the Fiat experience until now that we just dont want to let go. Having a competent and trustworthy FNG is all that we need for regular maintenance now. We are all so much spoiled by the driving dynamics of the Linea/Punto that no other car in the <10 lakh price bracket can fill the gap. The aging factor of FIATS needs another mention here. When I drive my 94K driven Punto now, there is not a single squeak or unwanted sound in the cabin and the drive feels very much the same as driven on Day 1 of Purchase. Same goes with the Linea as well when I compare it with the new gen 2015 model Linea Tjet which my brother in law drives. I am hoping your respective vehicles also continue to serve you well for a long time to give me company

Last edited by gopikb : 19th December 2019 at 10:11.
gopikb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 14:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

I would not suggest to buy a pre owned Fiat now. A new one with good discounts may be available which is a safer bet.
Absolutely. I mean its down to how much risk an individual is willing to take and to what extent he is willing to go with checking the condition of the car.

But that being said, I as an owner of a very well running Punto needed to put my observations. I know it is subjective and the experience itself is down to luck in a big way going by the general perception in this forum. Which is why I also mentioned it is of high importance that you end up buying a good example which has not had any major issues till date.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 12:56   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
New Linea or Punto is no longer available, forget about discounts .
I tried the existing dealers in Bangalore just last week, none of them have it.
(yes, looking for Linea, despite all this with Fiat )

So, if Linea is not available any more, which car is the next best bet that can come close to T-jet Linea (around 10 lakh, petrol or diesel) ?
Old 13th February 2020, 13:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It happens only in India where the average mindset is cheap and does not desire pleasures of life rather only buy what's trending around them and in their neighborhood.Don't be surprised if Indians in the near future would only have Chinese cars and Maruti to choose from
FIAT is exiting India, because of it's poor quality of service and cars that's been lying around in dealer yards for years on end and thereby rusting and degenerating. So don't blame your compatriots. FIAT has no one but itself to blame. If you want to buy some affordable performance your only choice available is Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi find out if some are still available and go for it. Why is it that all cars with "rock solid" build quality are so poor when it comes to reliability and service and are the most seen needing flat bed trucks?? In this day and age who would want to buy a FIAT?? If you like FCA so much you can buy and Compass.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 13th February 2020 at 13:16.

Most Viewed