Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2019, 12:47   #31
BHPian

Re: The Car Conundrum : Won a Ford Figo in a competition, keep it or sell it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
If I were in your situation, I would rule out an upgrade unless I was already thinking about an upgrade. If you are happy with your Jazz, then why pay extra to upgrade?

I suggest selling the Figo for the best available deal, upgrading your dad's car (a safer used car perhaps), and using the remaining amount for anything you want.
I was not thinking of an upgrade till yesterday. After discussions with my cousin, I am now thinking of considering upgrading my car to Ecosport by paying the differential amount. Again, there is no NEED for a car upgrade now, but considering the fact that resale value of Figo if not encouraging, then what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

Best option. And why 5 lakh? Am sure if the new car costs 7.4 OTR, you can get around 6 due to absolute showroom condition? For a good idea check with cars24 and likes first and then list the car for sale.

This is one option, but are u sure you want to change just 29k run Jazz? Is it MT or CVT? Honda engines and cars are very reliable and selling them off with such low odo reading will be a financial loss for you, specially considering Jazz ain't a hot seller like Baleno in our market.

My suggestion : Sell the Figo in mint condition, pocket the profit and invest it in some high return fund. Run the Jazz till atleast 50k+ and then exchange it for a better car. By then all this BS-VI, electtric/hybrid mumbo jumbo would be clear and you will have better options. And the Figo's return would have increased a bit and would help in down-payment
If I have to sell it, then it would definitely not be less than Rs.6 lakh for sure. Calculated the valuation on Cars24 website and it is not encouraging to sell through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayshouree View Post
My advice is, sell the car asap, pool in some more money (take a loan if you want) and buy an immovable asset like land (at an affordable place, like nearby hometown) or buy some gold which might give you more satisfaction down the line. Purely my view though, yours might be completely different.
Thank you for this great suggestion. Till date haven't invested in any immovable asset, but would keep this piece of advice in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4wheels View Post
I think you should keep the GIFT after all its your luck that played its part. I think you mentioned in point 4 of sending the car to your father.That would be the icing on the cake for me. Hearty Congratulations to you. Do post some pictures of your trophy.
Definitely I would post the pictures.
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 13:21   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
On a Saturday in the last week of June 2019, I received a call from the Brand Marketing office of this newspaper informing me that I have won the bumper prize, i.e, Brand New Ford Figo Titanium Petrol version
Congratulations.

Quote:
4. Obtain a temporary registration from the dealer and take the car to my native (BR) and register the car over there and let my father use it.

Any sort of advice will be Godsent!

Regards,
MDED
That would be a great gesture. But depends which place in Bihar. Patna has seen 2 Ford outlets shut down, Priyadarshi Motors and Prema Ford. There is one near the airport opposite the Kendriya Vidyalaya. Other places also have Ford outlets but do check before sending it. Also note that taxation has changed since 8th August 2018. (Go through the attached pdf). By the way where in Bihar?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 831-07-09-2018.pdf (177.0 KB, 89 views)
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 14:00   #33
BHPian

Congratulations Mate, your loyalty towards that news print paid off big-time man time

"Don't fix when it isn't broken". Upgrade can be tempting but think through it, selling it off as a good rate & investing in a high return instrument will help you better upgrade when you are really looking for; till then enjoy your jazz, she is clearly too young to sell. Earmark this investment strictly for that purpose.

You may want to explore the option of giving it to your parents but looking at the running of your dad's existing car; I wouldn't suggest it & getting a 800 fixed is anyday simpler than a ford when you factor in your town's location & if it is your dad who will have to get it done.

But now, soak in & enjoy this phase, there are very few who win car's in lucky draws
yogeshsom29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 14:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new gift

If I were you, If i am happy with what I have, I would not sell it just because I got something new. So, I would continue with my car that is working for me the best.

For new car, My suggestion would be to talk to the dealer himself and see if you can get best amount in returns. Selling to anyone else would attract depreciation. If the dealer agrees to retain the car and give you the amount by removing his margin, he can sell the car to another customer (He gets twice the margin), you will get max benefit and the customer who purchases gets NEW CAR (First Owner)
So, a WIN- WIN- WIN Situation for all three of you.

Last edited by gkveda : 24th July 2019 at 14:13.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 14:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Congratulations.

That would be a great gesture. But depends which place in Bihar. Patna has seen 2 Ford outlets shut down, Priyadarshi Motors and Prema Ford. There is one near the airport opposite the Kendriya Vidyalaya. Other places also have Ford outlets but do check before sending it. Also note that taxation has changed since 8th August 2018. (Go through the attached pdf). By the way where in Bihar?
Thank you Bone Collector. I hail from extreme Northern Part of BR from Sitamarhi Town and to the best of my knowledge no Ford dealership is in my town, except may be in MFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshsom29 View Post
Congratulations Mate, your loyalty towards that news print paid off big-time man time

"Don't fix when it isn't broken". Upgrade can be tempting but think through it, selling it off as a good rate & investing in a high return instrument will help you better upgrade when you are really looking for; till then enjoy your jazz, she is clearly too young to sell. Earmark this investment strictly for that purpose.

You may want to explore the option of giving it to your parents but looking at the running of your dad's existing car; I wouldn't suggest it & getting a 800 fixed is anyday simpler than a ford when you factor in your town's location & if it is your dad who will have to get it done.

But now, soak in & enjoy this phase, there are very few who win car's in lucky draws
Thank you Yogesh. I loved your point of not fixing anything unless it has broken. Upgrading to Ecosport is tempting enough and considering the same, went to a Ford dealer near my office and found the space in the Ecosport to be pretty less as compared to my new generation Honda Jazz. Spoke to Dad as well and he is kinda not interested given the fact that for getting the vehicle serviced, he has to take the car to nearby City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
For new car, My suggestion would be to talk to the dealer himself and see if you can get best amount in returns. Selling to anyone else would attract depreciation. If the dealer agrees to retain the car and give you the amount by removing his margin, he can sell the car to another customer (He gets twice the margin), you will get max benefit and the customer who purchases gets NEW CAR (First Owner)
So, a WIN- WIN- WIN Situation for all three of you.
Once the newspaper branding team confirms the name of the dealer, then I shall be in a position to discuss the options to sell/register in some other customer's name.
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 14:48   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Bone Collector. I hail from extreme Northern Part of BR from Sitamarhi Town and to the best of my knowledge no Ford dealership is in my town, except may be in MFP.
Muzaffarpur has Aarna Ford, located on the highway near Chandni Chowk. Not sure how good the service is there. I liked Ecosport for its safety kit but wasn't sure about service so stuck to Maruti.

Quote:
Spoke to Dad as well and he is kinda not interested given the fact that for getting the vehicle serviced, he has to take the car to nearby City.
He is very much correct. I've faced similar issue when I had to get our Santro serviced at Patna when there was no Hyundai service center in MFP and also later due to poor workmanship at the service center.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 14:00   #37
BHPian

Congrats! That's quite an enviable conundrum to have. Another wild idea I can think of is. Sell both the Jazz and Figo and upgrade to a powerful sedan like a Vento/Rapid/Verna
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 14:26   #38

This is my first post in the forum after becoming a member. It couldn't be better than a heartiest congratulations!
Congratulations MDED! What a luck!

So, the legends about newspapers gifting cars is true.

My suggestion after reading all the comments.
If your father is okay with his M800 and you do not need a Figo, why don't you ask the newspaper agency itself to consider giving you the prize as money instead of a car.
Would save all the hassle of going through the showroom and negotiations.

Apart from it, if you're eyeing on an Ecosport, then go for it.
Trooprex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 18:55   #39
BHPian

A piece of advice where no hassles is going to happen if & if you intend to upgrade to ecosport.

Ask ford as a customer to replace it at dealership level as they can do it maybe you have to part with margins but still doable. Trade in Jazz & take home ecosport S
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
Congrats! That's quite an enviable conundrum to have. Another wild idea I can think of is. Sell both the Jazz and Figo and upgrade to a powerful sedan like a Vento/Rapid/Verna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooprex View Post
Apart from it, if you're eyeing on an Ecosport, then go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumit_jain_usa View Post
A piece of advice where no hassles is going to happen if & if you intend to upgrade to ecosport.

Ask ford as a customer to replace it at dealership level as they can do it maybe you have to part with margins but still doable. Trade in Jazz & take home ecosport S
The dealer has refused to allow me an upgrade to Ecosport.

The branding team of the newspaper advised me to check with the dealership regarding upgradation of car. The dealer has informed me that they have received clear instructions that a Figo will be registered in my name and I will not be able to register it in some other's name. Hence, at this juncture I have decided to get the car and sell it immediately as the second car will turn into white elephant
MDED is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 14:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The dealer has refused to allow me an upgrade to Ecosport.
That makes a lot of sense from the dealer's perspective. They might have a lot of unsold Figos in their inventory compared to Ecosports. I hope you get a car that isn't too old.

Have they promised a 2019 manufactured car? Will they let you do a PDI and refuse a car, if you aren't fully satisfied?
Old 6th August 2019, 23:31   #42
BHPian

In the meantime today went to the dealership for the customary photo shoot by the newspaper’s professional photographer and an interview. This will get published in the Bangalore as well as other city editions soon.
Attached Thumbnails
The Car Conundrum : Won a Ford Figo in a competition, keep it or sell it?-eb60db9cf40b4d03aa24fdb36acf2e44.jpeg  

The Car Conundrum : Won a Ford Figo in a competition, keep it or sell it?-fc1ad5c174fe408ca2ebf7b8e48693fe.jpeg  

The Car Conundrum : Won a Ford Figo in a competition, keep it or sell it?-13b89bc7efc74f0e8eba9041e9f2e861.jpeg  

Last edited by MDED : 6th August 2019 at 23:35.
MDED is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed