Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2019, 12:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car for a 6'2" tall driver - Budget of 25-27 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
That's great for you! There are SUVs that will suit each person but it depends...in which case, one would have to test drive each model and find out. I reckon for instance that the Ford Endeavour would suit me best among SUVs in India because it has both vertical and lengthwise clearance. But it is a small ballpark to choose from, with all the attendant pros/cons of a smaller field to choose from.
That's true and doubtless an endy would be a brilliant choice if not for the fact that I'd often have to take it to my hometown in the deep south of TN. The lanes there .. well, I can fit a scorpio in but god help me if I take an Endy and a bolero pickup or tata ace were to come into the lane from the opposite side.
Old 21st November 2019, 12:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
European cars are the best for tall guys.
Helpful tip if you have long legs, please ensure steering has reach and rake adjustment and seat has height adjustment. That way you can stretch your legs and not hunch over the steering.
Strange you mentioned European cars. I found the seat travel of the Vento/Rapid a couple of inches less compared to the Verna. One of the main reasons I went for the Verna was this.
One mod I am thinking lately in my next car is to replace the front seats with racing seats like ricaro. Their back rests are thinner and your butt sits lower giving you valuable extra inches when fitted on the existing rails.
Old 21st November 2019, 12:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Buy 2 cars.

For Banglore city drives : By a Nano AMT, you will be surprised that you can easily fit in it.

For long drives : Buy HEXA/Marrazzo/Innova as per your liking.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 12:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed on the XUV500, but not the Scorpio which has a horribly packaged interior. It offers very poor cabin space for that kind of an exterior footprint.

Would suggest OP to wait for the next-gen XUV500 which has been spotted testing already.
Thanks. I also test drove the Jeep Compass 4x4 Diesel. Found that to be fairly comfortable. No automatic yet, I guess. But I found the clutch to be really hard, so this may be a little painful to drive in city traffic. Looks like there are some terrific discounts on offer. I am planning to try the petrol automatic as well.
In the rear, there is space for 2 but no more, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
In 2013, when all 6'4" of me was scouting for a suitable used car, Jose (who runs a super successful car lot in Springfield, Massachusetts) gave me these golden words of wisdom - "Tall dudes fit best into a long sedan. Very few SUVs ever suit tall people because then, the majority of the population wouldn't be able to drive them.
Excellent advice! I will check the Skoda Superb out as well.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st November 2019 at 20:57. Reason: Spacing. Quotes trimmed. Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when quoting multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 21st November 2019, 13:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

My choice will be the HEXA, eyes closed.

Just test drive the car in its automatic avatar and you will know what are we speaking about!
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 14:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
My choice will be the HEXA, eyes closed.
This thread here by @GTO seems to indicate that the ergonomics is messed for tall drivers. But I will check it out personally.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4116312 (Tata Hexa : Official Review)

Last edited by aah78 : 21st November 2019 at 20:58. Reason: Quote trimmed, spacing.
Old 21st November 2019, 14:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
This thread here by @GTO seems to indicate that the ergonomics is messed for tall drivers. But I will check it out personally.
The feedback is mostly for the manual variant. However, please have a testdrive, and you will know if it suits you. Hexa has to be in your consideration set! Simply because of the Value for money offering! You can technically save 5 lakhs on your budget without compromising on anything. (except snob value)

Last edited by aah78 : 21st November 2019 at 20:58. Reason: Quote trimmed.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 18:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
For Banglore city drives : By a Nano AMT, you will be surprised that you can easily fit in it.

For long drives : Buy HEXA/Marrazzo/Innova as per your liking.
One advantage of a bigger vehicle in Bangalore - bikes / smaller cars won't cut past you and will give you a wide berth. Nobody wants to get too close to a 2-3 ton car while they'll crowd and cut past an Alto or Nano without issues.

Last edited by aah78 : 21st November 2019 at 20:58. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 21st November 2019, 19:04   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I am also 6.2 tall and large built besides.

I have found my Yeti all these years to be super comfortable.

Largely because all European vehicles tend to have first class under thigh support as well as lumbar support, apart from the steering reach and rake adjustment as KMT has pointed out.

Recently I ve sat in and tested many different vehicles but I realise that the truly most comfortable vehicles for tall + large built people are generally from the Crossover and SUV category much more than the sedans and hatchbacks.

So you might just do yourself some good if you considered vehicles like the Jeep Compass, Kia Seltos, VW Tiguan, MG Hector, Tata Harrier, XUV 500 and 300, Ford Endy, Fortuner, Hyundai Venue etc.

All of these in my observation are very comfortable to sit in (particularly in the front passenger seat and / or the driving seat.

However, in general the rear seats tend to be a bit short on under thigh support.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 21:02   #25
BHPian

At 6'2" myself, would suggest to avoid the low slung sedans if you care for your back, especially since you plan to own the car for a long period. My back doesn't like low slung sedans / hatchbacks and throws annoyance whenever I get into one.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 21:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Recently I ve sat in and tested many different vehicles but I realise that the truly most comfortable vehicles for tall + large built people are generally from the Crossover and SUV category much more than the sedans and hatchbacks.

Thanks, this is interesting and directly contradicts one of the suggestions below on Sedans! That is the beauty of this forum, I guess. Diversity rocks, especially when it is put forth in a logical, polite but compelling manner.

I must say that I did find the Jeep compass fairly comfortable. Also trying to do test drives now on the suggestions that have come in from everybody.
Old 21st November 2019, 21:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also trying to do test drives now on the suggestions that have come in from everybody.

Hello, if you haven't already done so, please do TD the Ertiga and Marazzo too. A close friend who is 6 foot plus & on the heavier side, owns the Ertiga and says it's more comfy than some other sedans that he has driven like the Vento, Verna and Ciaz. Of course, that's just one opinion, but doesn't hurt to have a test ride. You never know what you might find most suitable.

Also, here are a couple of related threads for your reference:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedan...-tall-men.html (Car for Super Tall Men)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...l-drivers.html (which car for tall drivers)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 21st November 2019 at 21:26.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 02:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, this is interesting and directly contradicts one of the suggestions below on Sedans! That is the beauty of this forum, I guess. Diversity rocks, especially when it is put forth in a logical, polite but compelling manner.

I must say that I did find the Jeep compass fairly comfortable. Also trying to do test drives now on the suggestions that have come in from everybody.
I'm 6'2 myself and I drive a Hyundai Creta Diesel SX+ Automatic regularly and it is by far the most comfortable car that I have ever driven. Plus the newer model is packed with features like Wireless charging and a Sunroof.

I absolutely adore the Superb, it is indeed a very beautiful car, but ask yourself if you'd like to manoeuvre that land-yacht in bumper to bumper traffic for 2.5 hours daily. Compare that with a car not too big, with enough height to make you see ahead in rows of traffic.

I own a XUV500 too and trust me it is not a pleasant place to be in during traffic. I would strongly recommend against it if you're primary consideration is relief from traffic snarls. The XUV too is a great overall package and the interior space is unparalleled for the class.

The only grouse I have with the Creta is that the driver's seat has weak lumbar support, which might be a problem for you too. It could be solved by adding a back cushion.

I would encourage you to take test drives if you're interested in the current models or wait till 2020 for the BS VI ones. Specially because there are newer models of both the XUV and the Creta coming.

Last edited by Jag4 : 22nd November 2019 at 03:04.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 07:08   #29
BHPian

Consider Tucson.. that should suit you. However, do wait for their face-lift version.

Still no confirmation and clarity from Hyundai, when do they plan to launch in India
gutsy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 10:28   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello, Wanted to get some suggestions from you as I am in the market looking for a new car:
- I 6ft 2''+ with long legs. I will be spending about 2.5hrs every day on the road in city traffic. So looking for a car that provides good comfort - under thigh support, lumbar support, leg room space etc
I think XUV500 makes more sense considering your requirements & usage pattern right now. Its the better all rounded package for any type of use. And quite easy to drive in cities thanks to perfect dimensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
I would like to suggest the Hexa. My younger brother is 6 ft 3 inches tall and regularly drives the Hexa in city traffic without any problem. Mine is a manual though.
Hexa indeed is the epitome of quality, comfort & driving pleasure (XTA) on this side of 25 L INR beyond doubt.

However - I'm 6'3" and since the ARIA days - the driving position is impossible for me to get right. In the positions that I find right for driving - the foolish slanting dashboard fascia touches my knees. I have to think about bone joint movements and angles when switching between accelerator & brake pedals. A big no-no! And that's the only reason why I didn't pick a Hexa. The missus was hell bent on booking one! What a shame that a dashboard design flaw converted a Hexa customer into a Nexon customer for TML!

Also - he intends to drive the car predominantly in city & on heavy traffic roads. I don't think the Hexa is the best bet for that. Not only is it bigger to drive - its also a bigger & easier target for kamikaze auto-rikshaws & bikers in the traffic.
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks