Team-BHP > What Car?

Old 22nd November 2019, 15:35   #31
BANNED

My friend has an Audi A6.
Its quite a low slung luxe barge.
Getting in and out is a little bit of effort.
But once inside in the front seat when all the adjustments are done, one simply will not feel like getting out.
So very comfortable.
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:11   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Car for a 6'2" tall driver - Budget of 25-27 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My friend has an Audi A6.
Its quite a low slung luxe barge.
Getting in and out is a little bit of effort.
But once inside in the front seat when all the adjustments are done, one simply will not feel like getting out.
So very comfortable.
It will be a tough job to find an A6 to keep for another 10 years (i.e. not a preowned) that fits this particular criterion below -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
- Max budget 25-27L OTR in Bangalore.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:23   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

However - I'm 6'3" and since the ARIA days - the driving position is impossible for me to get right. In the positions that I find right for driving - the foolish slanting dashboard fascia touches my knees. I have to think about bone joint movements and angles when switching between accelerator & brake pedals. A big no-no! And that's the only reason why I didn't pick a Hexa. The missus was hell bent on booking one! What a shame that a dashboard design flaw converted a Hexa customer into a Nexon customer for TML

Also - he intends to drive the car predominantly in city & on heavy traffic roads. I don't think the Hexa is the best bet for that. Not only is it bigger to drive - its also a bigger & easier target for kamikaze auto-rikshaws & bikers in the traffic.
Don't know about you but my brother is quite skinny, not weighing more than 75 kg so maybe thats why he doesn't have any problem driving the Hexa in the city. On the highways too he has driven her non stop for 3 hrs at a stretch without any issues. And going for the XTA should solve this problem to a large extent IMO.
ram87pune is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2019, 16:40   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, Wanted to get some suggestions from you as I am in the market looking for a new car:
- I 6ft 2''+ with long legs. I will be spending about 2.5hrs every day on the road in city traffic. So looking for a car that provides good comfort - under thigh support, lumbar support, leg room space etc
- Good performance
- Automatic. Can be petrol or diesel
- Comfort for rear passengers as well. Should seat 2(tall) kids in comfort in the rear.
Considering your requirements, the best car that suits all your requirements is Mahindra XUV500.
Reasons:-
1. Good for tall drivers.
2. Centre row seats are good for 3 adults with good leg room so your tall kids can sit easily. Even if you decide not to drive occasionally, you will be comfortable in front or centre row seats.
3. Perfectly fits your budget and you can get the top end model - W11 Auromatic.
4. Very good highway cruiser and since its automatic you can also move easily in bumper to bumper traffic.
5. XUV500 is Mahindra's flagship car and will continue for long time except for design changes, so you can easily retain it for 10 years.

Before my Ford Endeavour, I had the 1st generation XUV500 and belief me, the seating was more comfortable in the XUV500 on long highway drives (I'm 6 feet tall).

So take long drives of such cars and decide for yourself.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 22nd November 2019 at 16:41.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 18:05   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are ok with sedans & SUVs, I'd check out the following:

1) VW Tiguan
2) Skoda Superb
3) Skoda Octavia
4) Hyundai Tucson
5) Toyota Corolla

The first 3 will keep you happy behind the wheel, the last two will keep you happy over 10 years and your children happy in the backseat (bland interiors, and in the case of the Corolla very bland driving experience too).
The Ford endeavor could be a good choice but the headroom is a little tight, and the Innova is nice if you are being driven - could get a little tiring in Bangalore traffic however.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 10:21   #36
BHPian

If you are looking for a budget-friendly car, then I would suggest the Ciaz.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 11:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

I am 6'2 as well. I find sedans more comfortable than the SUVs. My ciaz has proven me absolutely comfortable even over 700km a day journeys. Moreover it is a proper 5 seater.

With your budget, you can go for the Octavia.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 1st December 2019 at 11:37.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:49   #38
BHPian

As per your budget and physique, I would recommend the following vehicles viz.

1. Hyundai Tucson (a well rounded package with plenty of space and comfort)

2. Skoda Superb (now they have huge discounts running in lacs to clear stock)

3. VW Tiguan (but I guess you would have to pull up your budget)

In case you want to go with the used car way, following would be the picks. Apart from your preferences, Reliability and part availability would be one the agenda too.

1. Honda Accord

2. Toyota Camry

3. Toyota Fortuner
Old 1st December 2019, 14:13   #39
BHPian

Why don't you have a look at Tata Safari Storme?

Agreed that it will be discontinued soon, but you might be able to own a future classic. Its simple mechanics won't give you trouble for long periods of time. You will definitely save many bucks which then can be used to spice up the car the way you want it to.

Another option is Hexa. Though it is not the car one wants to drive if you want others to take notice of you. Endeavour and Fortuner can take care of that aspect, if you really want that.

Both Safari and Hexa are slow sellers and one might be able to get good discounts.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 17:27. Reason: Spacing
Old 1st December 2019, 17:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, Wanted to get some suggestions from you as I am in the market looking for a new car:
- I 6ft 2''+ with long legs.
I am quite late to the party it seems as you have received a wide range of suggestions. However, I will share with you what my experience has been so far. I am myself 6'2" with a wide frame and a good build. I have only recently moved back to 2 digit weight (although by undesirable means, a story for another time). I personally have a 3rd gen Honda City and I would recommend the latest variant of the same. Like a few others have mentioned, Sedans are best suited for tall folks, unless you have a specific medical condition (such as the one described by hserus below) that requires SUV.

Honda City will be a segment lower than what you are looking for but it will satisfy your needs. You can wait for the new one to arrive if you have the time. Alternatively you can check-out the Octavia, Civic, Superb or Elantra as well. You can also checkout the latest gen VW Passat but I believe Superb will be a better VFM between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I am tall but I also have a bad back due to whiplash around my neck and shoulders from an old accident in 2000. So, the erect posture I can get in a Scorpio suits me (or earlier, a Maruti Ritz that I owned). Long sedans - well you can recline your seat but the low slung posture would just leave me with a bad backache after a long highway drive. With the Scorpio, lack of interior space or not, I can do a full 12 hours of driving and still remain reasonably fresh.
I am Sorry to read about your past accident and medical condition but good that you shared and I had the opportunity to read it at the right time. Right I say because I have suffered from the same last month and I am currently under recovery at home. Might need your advice in this matter - both from health perspective and from a Car ownership perspective.
sunilch is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 17:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

Like you I was barely at a 2 digit weight - and managed to cut down 4-5 kg in the last 6 months thanks to my getting a dog that needs several walks a day (I work from home so that part is easy)

I use memory foam back and neck cushions and that, combined with the erect seating in the scorpio, helps me. Other than that, taking periodic breaks seems to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
I am quite late to the party it seems as you have received a wide range of suggestions. However, I will share with you what my experience has been so far. I am myself 6'2" with a wide frame and a good build. I have only recently moved back to 2 digit weight

I am Sorry to read about your past accident and medical condition but good that you shared and I had the opportunity to read it at the right time. Right I say because I have suffered from the same last month and I am currently under recovery at home. Might need your advice in this matter - both from health perspective and from a Car ownership perspective.
Old 1st December 2019, 17:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCar View Post

Both Safari and Hexa are slow sellers and one might be able to get good discounts.
As a user of Safari Storme,

Safari + Urban usage = disaster

I don't like driving this car in the city traffic.

Tata dealers are so delusional that they won't accept the fact that these cars are slow sellers and they try to fool us as though there is a demand.

I enquired for hexa/nexon and the maximum they offered were 65k and 35k discount respectively, while other manufacturers were giving away lakhs in discounts.
Old 1st December 2019, 17:40   #43
BHPian

I'm 6'4" and a bit on the heavier side. In my experience, my Jetta has been more comfortable than most SUVs. I have put long driving stints in XUV 500 and Innova, and have done test drives of Hexa, Harrier and the Compass. Among all the SUVs, the Compass was the most comfortable, in spite of being the smallest.

Though counter-intuitive, I second what lotusjag said - SUVs are surprisingly not comfortable for bigger, taller drivers.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 17:28. Reason: Typo - Innovative = Innova
pavanmadhini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 18:05   #44
BHPian

Hi! Interesting to see so many tall fellow BHPians. My turn to contribute now and coming in at 6'6" with a frame to match, my selection of cars (and several other things) starts with the question "will I fit into it?"!

I had the XUV500 for a couple of years and found it one of the most comfortable to drive; I didn't even have to push the driver's seat fully back. Looking at upgrading and recently checked out the Endy but surprisingly, my left knee hits the central panel (believe it or not, it doesn't do so in the Ecosport, which I've had for a few years now). Plan to check out the Fortuner and Alturas soon.

As others have suggested, I too was/ am extremely smitten by the Skoda sedans and would love to get behind the Octavia 1.8 TSI. However, at my height and progressing age, I find it much easier to sit in a car, rather than sit down in one. This, accompanied by our bone juggling roads, makes me think sedans are now in my past.

Just my experience based thoughts for you to consider. Do remember the stature I command
Old 2nd December 2019, 03:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents on top of the other expert opinions posted earlier -

One thing you need to consider is that ease of getting in and out is going to be difficult in sedans. I am 6'2" and I own a 2013 Camry which is very long. Once I am inside the car, I am comfortable, but getting in and out is a problem (especially if the parking space is less). My legs touch the steering even at the highest position of steering adjustment. I prefer driving my 2010 swift than Camry just due to the ease of getting in.

Second part is SUVs dont always give good sitting posture for tall people. Most SUVs give good head room and people often associate head room with seat height.
I owned a third generation CRV, and it had one of the worst under thigh support. My test drive of latest Fortuner gave a similar impression

My suggestions is to split your purchase into city and highway if possible

1. Tata Nano for city - I was super comfortable in my Nano XTA. Seats were short of under thigh support due to the small seats, but that can be increased (1 inch or so) at an upholstery shop. My office commute was around 40 minutes and i found it fine without modifications. I have taken Nano for 8+ hour drives and my back was better than similar trips in an Ertiga.

2. Wagon R for city - with a bit of seat upholstery work to increase under thigh support, Wagon R can be good option.

3. Tata Hexa - For highway drives

All of us are different in our seating preferences and needs. There is no vehicle which is going to satisfy all tall people. Find out a good aftermarket upholstery store which can take a reasonably good vehicle seat of your choice to what suits you perfectly.

The best sitting position I ever found was in first generation (1999-2001) CRV
arjithin is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed