Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car for a 6'2" tall driver - Budget of 25-27 lakhs

I would play this safe and recommend the Toyota Innova or a not so old CR-V, provided you are okay with the guzzling habits of the latter (Could find some used diesels around). Both these cars are all about maximum space utilization and minimum intrusion for other passengers.

Not that I have anything against Europeans. Just makes we wary when the time line to own a car is as long as 10 years. More so, if you are the kind of driver who never plans on popping the hood once in a while to check on fluids and the like, for a whole year. After sales can also be a hit or miss.

I have had a bit of a mixed bag with European cars. I have not owned or driven many. I will comment on the few I have driven a fair bit. I have found the center console to come in the way on some European cars. While the very same center console exists on Japanese and Korean cars, they do not foul as much. This was observed on my Fiat Linea, a VW Polo, Vento, an old 2002 Golf that I owned briefly and now a 2006 Mercedes A170. I won't say that the fouling is so bad that you simply cannot drive these car. The best example of my experience was from a Polo/Vento to an i20. With the Hyundai, you are in that perfect driving position without having to fiddle around much.

Even on cars such as a BMW 530D or an Audi S5, the person sitting behind the driver has almost no leg room. I highlight this, as you have two tall kids.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you take the car for a good long spin.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd December 2019 at 05:40.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:47   #47
BHPian

Both my dad and I have a tall+ heavy build (6 feet 4" and 6 feet 2" respectively). We currently own a current-generation Honda City and it is very comfortable for both of us to drive. It's even possible to sit behind each other without the rear seat passenger's knees touching the seat back in front. Recently, we have booked the Honda Civic to add to our stable which also lends itself quite easily to tall drivers. The ingress/egress may be a problem if you suffer from bad knees/hip.
revsperminute is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:27   #48
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
- Plan to keep my car for 10 years.
- Good A.S.S
- Max budget 25-27L OTR in Bangalore.

- Sedan or SUV - anything is fine
The cars I currently own are the Ford Fiesta 1.6SXi & Honda Jazz.
Look forward to your suggestions!
P.S - should I wait for some months since many BSVI vehicles will launch in 2020?
I'm 6'2" and I find cars more comfortable, so I would suggest these sedans. SUVs may be more practical based on the condition of Bangalore roads.

Do test drive of Octavia, Corolla and Civic

I'm listing the pros and cons based on my experience of Corolla

Pros:

The top end will be around 23L after discount, a few laks lesser compered to others

Comfortable for 5 big size, flat floor panel at the rear (we have done multiple 4 adults+2 kids interstate travels)

10+ years is no issue

Very high GC (had a funny incident where we had to park our vehicles in a ground where at the entrance, there was large humb, almost every car and an innova scraped the bottom but mine went through with no issues)

Space at the rear seats is much better than Civic

CVT is super smooth, no jerks like DSG

The rear seat angle can be adjusted

Cons:

Power is less compared to Octavia TSI

May get discontinued by Mar 2020, facelift may not come

CVT is not for spirited driving, but will perform good under normal driving

Due to high GC, there is a lot of pitching and bouncing around

Tyre and wind noise is high, comparable to Honda Civic (Octavia should be better)

Handling is better in the other two cars

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 17:25. Reason: Spacing and editing for improved readability
sgm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:26   #49
BHPian

I am surprised that inspite of so many suggestions, no one mentioned the current heart throb MG Hector - the latest lad in town

You get a spacious MPV/SUV with captain seats

Superb features and vfm out of the current crop

Great looks and stance

Latest technology and functions

BS6 launch is just around the corner

Automatic option is available

Good for both city and long drives

5year unlimited km warranty

Price wise excellent value for money

Its a car which is doing great and commands a premium at the moment.

The waitlisting is enough evidence of all the above facts.

Seems it should fit all your needs and with unlimited warranty should be enough peace of mind for a long time.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 17:22. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
xway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 12:36   #50
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am 6'2" and have very long legs, so i have much of the same problems as OP.

I have had the following cars:

1. Audi A4: great for me but the car became a 3 seater when i drove.

2. Hyundai Accent: Comfortable enough for me but again 3 seater except for small kids.

3. Honda City 2005: Pretty comfy for me but lacked under thigh support, upright position so back seat space was ok for medium height people

4. Toyota corolla 2008: Pretty comfy but slightly low under thigh support, better than honda city, back seat was also better as it was longer.

5. Toyota Fortuner 2013: Pretty good overall, lots of space to sit. Only the under thigh support was lacking. Apart from that it was great.

6. Volvo V90 CC: Excellent seat with adjustable under thigh support, could have a bit more cushion but that's just asking for more and more . Lots of room behind me too but then again its a really long car.

7. Honda BRV 2016: Seat is good but my knee hits the dash panel. Would not recommend.

I have driven the new Innova Crysta Auto and really liked it, you should check it out. The XUV500 also seems ok but have not driven it much.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 17:22. Reason: added point no 7 / spacing for improved readability
chandu is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 16:59   #51
BHPian

I think lot of people have already given you enough suggestions to make your decision or confuse you further.

To add to the chaos - here are my two cents (I'm 6'2 with long legs - so can probably understand your plight better)

There is no logical reason to go for an SUV as inspite of being taller - they do not give you the leg space as you need. Have driven the new fortuner for long drives, but was never really comfortable in it. Add to that - with the higher seating position, it doesn't even come close to the driving dynamics of a sedan.

The best solution like many have pointed out is to simply go for a longer sedan. No matter how far and low you push your seat, no matter how much you recline the seat back, there is no way the person sitting behind you would be bothered by it.

Unfortunately you do not have many options when it comes to the longer sedans that you can consider. Superb is the only one I can think of which would not just tick all the boxes for you, but would also fit in your budget comfortably.

I drive the Octavia and the person sitting behind me definitely struggles to be comfortable. Haven't tried out the Civic, but going by Honda's reputation I am sure they must've packed it smartly. But the flip side is - it's already dead in the market - so don't expect good resale.

If you are open to used cars (which in my humble opinion makes tremendous sense financially, but never gives you as much joy of owning a new car) - there are a lot of options available from a segment higher, which can be had for a substantially lower price. You might save a couple of lacs while buying that car (but might end up using it to maintain them). Few cars which wouldn't disappoint anyhow - BMW 5 series, Mercedes E class, Audi A6, BMW 5GT (brilliantly packaged car - but doesn't look that sharp). You can also consider going a notch higher in this segment cars, but the cars you will get would be atleast a couple of generations older, and their reliability would always be an issue.

All in all - I would strongly recommend going for a Skoda Superb if buying new and BMW 5GT if you are open to buying a used car (though finding one in good condition might prove to be a challenge in itself). Biggest advantage here would be - it wouldn't be as low slung as a sedan but still have far better driving dynamics than an SUV and would still have acres of space while at it!!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2019 at 17:23. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
samyakmodi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 17:09   #52
BHPian

I am 6.3 and I drive a Renault Duster, I feel pretty comfortable on long rides and have driven all the way from Bangalore to Varanasi with three medium size people at the back seats. The automatic version is something that you should drive to like it or hate it.
psmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 17:17   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello, Wanted to get some suggestions from you as I am in the market looking for a new car:
- I 6ft 2''+ with long legs. I will be spending about 2.5hrs every day on the road in city traffic. So looking for a car that provides good comfort - under thigh support, lumbar support, leg room space etc
- Good performance
- Automatic. Can be petrol or diesel
- Comfort for rear passengers as well. Should seat 2(tall) kids in comfort in the rear.

- Plan to keep my car for 10 years.
- Good A.S.S
- Max budget 25-27L OTR in Bangalore.

- Sedan or SUV - anything is fine
The cars I currently own are the Ford Fiesta 1.6SXi & Honda Jazz.
Look forward to your suggestions!
P.S - should I wait for some months since many BSVI vehicles will launch in 2020?
The Octavia fits your requirements perfectly, for the following reasons:

- The driver's seat is large, very supportive and the adjustability is fantastic. I am 6'1" and I have never had any trouble behind the wheel of our Octavia.

- Rear knee room is not compromised in the event the front seats are adjusted for your driving position, so your kids will never have an issue.

- Performance from either petrol or diesel cars is as good as it gets. In fact, it performs well enough to trouble cars that are twice its price!

- The ride quality is good over bad roads, you will never have a problem with the ride. Also, the current car's suspension has been jacked up a bit to handle the bad roads and speed breakers, so you won't have problems on that front either.

It's true that the new Octavia has been unveiled and the old one (current Octavia on sale in India) is on its way out. But I can give you 5 reasons why you should not wait for the new one over the current car:

1) As it's at the end of its life cycle, all common issues would have been ironed out by now, so you should have a relatively reliable car.

2) You can expect big discounts on the models available in stock.

3) The new generation Octavia will not get the same explosive 1.8 TSI that the current one is equipped with.

4) You have a wide range of options and trim levels to choose from presently - something you may not have with the new one at launch.

5) The new Octavia isn't exactly a giant leap forward from the present car, whereas the current car was a substantial upgrade from the Laura - its predecessor.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 18:46   #54
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I am 6'2" and also suffer from joint pain. Surprised to find that Ford Aspire was very comfortable for me to sit and drive. I was able to stretch my legs better than in my Ecosport.

I recommend to go for XUV 500 as getting in and out will be easier than in a sedan.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 19:25   #55
Senior - BHPian

Kia Carnival in Jan 2020. This is going to be one spacious car.

Jeep Compass and the Hyundai Tucson that are currently available.

Cannot go wrong with the Innova Crysta.

The Superb and the Octavia have nice space amongst the sedans.

The Octavia and the Compass are fun to drive as well.

I would wait for the Carnival to check it out.

Then decide between the Carnival, Compass and the Octavia.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 22:32   #56
BHPian

Well, honestly this query is exactly similar to that of mine.
- I am 6’1”, looking for an automatic car, budget upto 25L, can be petrol/diesel.
- Preferably MPV/SUV because i feel they are more comfortable specially the ingress-egress part.
- My wife, son and parents would be travelling mostly.

-After reading the post on buying second hand luxury cars i.e. BMWs or Mercedes which are not very old with less mileage on odo can be considered as they provide latest technology with lots of features(which might be missing in a new 25L car otherwise) and of course provide the desired luxury and reliability.
For starters I checked the market in chandigarh and was surprised to see two listings of BMW series 3 GT 320d (2015 and 2017) at
₹24L and 29L with odo reading of 28k and 45k respectively.
Another one was BMW series 5 520d Prestige with odo reading 28k at 26L. Only issue might be the servicing cost which I am not very sure of but if its once a year it won’t hurt much. However i am also sure they won’t be obsolete in next 10 years.

- In new cars I tried the Jeep compass trailhawk, its a beautiful looking and solid car but with OTR price of 30.75L, It was a deal breaker as its too costly for its size and features. However the expected Jeep compass 4x2 diesel automatic is what i am looking forward to desperately as that would fit the bill and tick almost all checkboxes. Still no firm date of its launch.

- I am also looking forward to the Tata Harrier automatic which is supposed to be launched in feb 2020. I took a test drive of manual version and it felt quite solid even on bad city roads with ample space for driver as well as passengers. With 2.0 litre engine and 170ps(expected), it won't disappoint an enthusiast.

Well i am yet to test drive the KIAs and MGs but honestly i will wait some more time before i feel confident about their reliability and ASS.
Teqhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 15:37   #57
BHPian

You should buy a Ciaz petrol Automatic or diesel even if it is only half your budget, if you want a sedan which is spacious and airy for tall people. It is not easy for everyone to relate to tall people problems, and that tall group is growing in fast pace in the current youth generation.
I don't know of any sedan which is this big, comfortable and easy on the pocket.
XUV or Innova is an option, but purely depends on what your primary usage is.
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:30   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, Wanted to get some suggestions from you as I am in the market looking for a new car:
- I 6ft 2''+ with long legs. I will be spending about 2.5hrs every day on the road in city traffic. So looking for a car that provides good comfort - under thigh support, lumbar support, leg room space etc
I would suggest you give due consideration to the below cars that fit your budget and also height friendly

1. Mahindra XUV5OO
2. Tata Hexa
3. Ford Endeavour (a little over your budget)
4. Mahindra Scorpio (for its acres of space and abuse friendly design)
5. Mitsubishi Pajero

All these cars give good leg room and head rooms. These boys are already proven on highways and regular city commutes.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd December 2019 at 19:47. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Sasanka_Sanga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:40   #59

My 2 cents -

A. Tata Hexa Automatic - Its a wonderful piece of engineering with so many things going its way. It oozes quality and space. This is a decision that you wouldn't regret visually or mechanically in future. Moreover its the Indian car built for Indian conditions with Indian needs in mind
B. Toyota Innova - Proven long term ownership. Good space in the first and second rows. Third row best reserved for hitch hikers only.
C. Mahindra XUV - Good all round package ticking all the boxes. The third row built in as an after thought.

Honourable mentions but not considered due to the (extra)budget availability & specific needs -
Mahindra Xylo - Acres of space with an usable 3rd row and reliable workhorse. Cons - No automatic, BS6 upgrade not yet announced, Taxi Image
LionHeart124 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 08:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

The OP has a bad back he said .. the excessive body roll in the Xylo wouldn’t be much to his taste or health

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionHeart124 View Post
My 2 cents
Mahindra Xylo - Acres of space with an usable 3rd row and reliable workhorse. Cons - No automatic, BS6 upgrade not yet announced, Taxi Image
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed