Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 09:36   #61

Re: Car for a 6'2" tall driver - Budget of 25-27 lakhs

You should check out the Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI or Even The 2.0 DSG it’s a very comfortable car and super long.
Old 5th December 2019, 16:17   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The OP has a bad back he said .. the excessive body roll in the Xylo wouldn’t be much to his taste or health
I also suffer from the occasional bad back situations, thanks to the BWSSB's long term development work near my home since the last few years (yes I meant years).

Xylo has never aggravated my back pain; on the contrary the amazing leg space and the superb seating position has helped me stay comfortable during the gruelling city commutes and stay fresh post long inter-state drives (~700 kms with a 90 minutes break)

However, Xylo still may not be a good choice for OP especially since his requirements include an automatic and he has a bigger budget available than the top end Xylo retails (H8 ~14.5 Lacs OTR in Bangalore).
Old 5th December 2019, 17:39   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionHeart124 View Post
I also suffer from the occasional bad back situations, thanks to the BWSSB's long term development work near my home since the last few years (yes I meant years).
I think if you read the thread his situation is rather worse than yours or mine - an accident that required spinal surgery. So maybe a ladder on frame chassis vehicle might not be a good idea.
Old 5th December 2019, 22:09   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visaster
You should buy a Ciaz petrol Automatic or diesel
Thanks. But I don't think this ticks the performance box. I do not want absolutely off the charts performance but at least a decent one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus
I think if you read the thread his situation is rather worse than yours or mine
Thanks for your concern! But it is not so bad. Back is fine.

Btw, thanks to each and every one for all your suggestions. I have started the test drives and will keep the forum updated.
P.S - how come no one suggested the Kia Seltos - the current heartthrob of the nation?

Last edited by sridharps : 5th December 2019 at 22:15.
Old 13th December 2019, 19:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Octavia fits your requirements perfectly, for the following reasons
Thanks, after some test drives, I am leaning towards the Octavia. It ticks most of the boxes - comfort, space, performance, automatic. I drove it for a couple of hours and both my legs & my back felt ok.

I am trying to decide between the petrol & diesel automatic. The 7 speed DSG in the petrol - have all problems been completely resolved now? Or this still the devil?
What about the 6 speed DSG in the diesel - does it have any breakdown issues?
Would appreciate inputs on this from the veterans on the group
Old 14th December 2019, 02:14   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Thanks, after some test drives, I am leaning towards the Octavia. It ticks most of the boxes - comfort, space, performance, automatic. I drove it for a couple of hours and both my legs & my back felt ok.

I am trying to decide between the petrol & diesel automatic. The 7 speed DSG in the petrol - have all problems been completely resolved now? Or this still the devil?
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of them. If you like fast punchy petrol cars that rev a bit, the 1 8 TSI is your pick. If you like the lazy and toquey nature of the diesel, the 2.0 TDI is what you should get.

Personally, I would take the petrol. Grab one now before they stop selling them!

With regard to reliability and gearbox, it's not like the big three (Merc BMW Audi) in terms of running costs, but it's not cheap to maintain either.

Skoda has claimed that the gearbox issues have been resolved, but you never know with these DSG cars and VAG cars in general. Get the extended warranty package for added peace of mind, if you do eventually decide to get one.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 06:06   #67
BHPian

Quote:
P.S - how come no one suggested the Kia Seltos - the current heartthrob of the nation?
Because its perceived as heartthrob due to herd mentality and all the gizmo gimmicks thrown in without considering the needs and requirements. While, here we are talking about your specific needs and are looking at your requirements in a more pragmatic way.

Eagerly looking to your feedback from several TDs. I am particularly keen on your feedback regarding Tucson
Old 14th December 2019, 07:54   #68
BHPian

Quote:

1.8 TSI will have multi link rear suspension and will be having better ride comfort. However, Diesel DSG will be good if you are in high mileage touring mode. We also hear that 6 speed DSG is more reliable than 7speed in indian conditions.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 13:44   #69
BHPian

If you're open to owning used cars, you can get a 3.2L Endeavour or a Big 3 German viz BMW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz well within your budget. You'll save on depreciation as well getting to own a higher segment car. These cars will last very long if routine service schedules are maintained religiously.
Old 25th December 2019, 16:46   #70
BHPian

Sridhar / OP

I would advise that you go for a Santa Fe - 4WD automatic

You can get a 50K kms used one for about 18 lakhs
Old 5th February 2020, 18:41   #71
BHPian

Thanks for all your suggestions again. It helped me in the decision making process.
First up - my view on whether sedans are better for tall drivers or will SUVs do the job? No straight answers, it depends. Perhaps, Sedans can give better legroom, but SUVs are better for people with lower back problems? Best to test drive and check it for yourself!

My views on the cars in this budget range, from the vantage point of a lean 6ft 2'' frame with long legs:

1. Toyota Innova - very spacious & comfortable.

2. Jeep Compass - pretty comfortable
3. Skoda Octavia - very comfortable
4. Honda Civic - excellent legroom but experienced some issues on the lower back when I drove it for a while. From the expression on the salesman's face, it was clear he had heard it before.
5. VW Tiguan - pretty comfortable but above my budget
6. BMW X1 - Decent comfort( not excellent - legroom could have been better), but also above my budget
7. Mahindra XUV - Comfortable legroom, but under thigh support felt less
8. Tata Hexa - Decent comfort, but the vehicle is too big and turning radius on bangalore roads is cumbersome.
9. Hyundai - despite repeated followups, they could not produce the elantra for a test drive. The facelift Tucson is probably closer to 30L onroad in bangalore & I couldn't wait much longer. They could not produce the older model for a test drive
10. Kia Seltos - pretty comfortable

Toyota was too big and I don't need the 3rd row really. So the choice was now between the Seltos, Octavia & Jeep Compass.
The Compass diesel is a great driver's car. I enjoyed driving it. The automatic is now available I guess, but rear space is average. Family was not too impressed.
Octavia was a delight to drive - both petrol & diesel. Family was very happy with rear comfort & boot space.
Seltos was a pleasure to drive as well & rear comfort is average.
So in the toss up, Octavia was the winner and the Onyx edition fits in my budget.
So, on diesel vs petrol, the gremlins of the DQ200 gearbox that I read on this forum created some doubts. Ultimately, I chose the DQ250 gearbox of the diesel, with extended 5th and 6th year warranty.
So that is it then - Skoda Octavia Onyx in racy Blue colour. Delivered last saturday!

PS - I am planning to sell my 11 yr old Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sx now with a heavy heart. It is a wonderful driver's car & has really served me very well all these years. I will miss it.
sridharps is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2021, 20:58   #72
AKB
BHPian

Since much has changed in last 18-20 months, wanted to reach out to the experts on suggestions for someone like me ( 185cm). For me key requirements are enough leg room to drive long distance without leg sprain and having enough comfort for my family seated in the backseat.

Summary of my search currently:

1. XUV700: Liked the seating, the vehicle had enough leg room and good head room. Middle seat was able to sit comfortably with driver's seat pushed back. However, want to wait for 2-3 quarters for the evolution of the XUV700 before I decide.

2. Compass: Great cabin and plush/classy feeling in contrast to XUV 700. However legroom was limited even with driver's seat fully pushed back. The distance between my knees and steering was less than 4 inches. Also, rear seat legroom was limited. Since it is a ~4300mm car, not surprised. One option is to wait for Jeep Commander with longer wheel base.

3. Creta: Decent comfort and space (for a ~4250mm vehicle) but the mid console design looks very plain (no design just flat panel) and the features are now a generation behind competitors. The next gen is <12 months away

4. Safari: My head was touching the roof with the sunroof. So did not even TD the vehicle

5. Not very excited about Fortuner due to the image it carries

6. Not looked at Gloster. Don't like the design for other MG stable vehicles

Any suggestions on what else I can try? Looking for a SUV options with good driver's comfort for tall drivers.

Most Viewed