Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2019, 20:13   #1
BHPian

Car for a 6'2" tall driver - Budget of 25-27 lakhs

Hello, Wanted to get some suggestions from you as I am in the market looking for a new car:
- I 6ft 2''+ with long legs. I will be spending about 2.5hrs every day on the road in city traffic. So looking for a car that provides good comfort - under thigh support, lumbar support, leg room space etc
- Good performance
- Automatic. Can be petrol or diesel
- Comfort for rear passengers as well. Should seat 2(tall) kids in comfort in the rear.

- Plan to keep my car for 10 years.
- Good A.S.S
- Max budget 25-27L OTR in Bangalore.

- Sedan or SUV - anything is fine
The cars I currently own are the Ford Fiesta 1.6SXi & Honda Jazz.
Look forward to your suggestions!
P.S - should I wait for some months since many BSVI vehicles will launch in 2020?
sridharps is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 20:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Car for a 6'2" tall driver - Budget of 25-27 lakhs

You could get a Scorpio or XUV - both quite tall cars and have automatic variants. There's the Endeavour but that's a touch over your budget. Especially the scorpio - seating tall people is no issue at all given the high roof.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 20:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Check out the XUV 5oo.

It has ample space in the front row. I am 6 feet, 1 cm, 130+ kgs. The seats are very supportive. I have done few 500+ kms stints in a single day without being uncomofortable. Even with front seat set to my requirement, the rear row have enough legroom for taller occupants.
BANDHAV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 20:32   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Check out the XUV 5oo.

It has ample space in the front row. I am 6 feet, 1 cm, 130+ kgs. The seats are very supportive. I have done few 500+ kms stints in a single day without being uncomofortable. Even with front seat set to my requirement, the rear row have enough legroom for taller occupants.
Thank you..I heard that there is nextgen launch in 2020..am wondering whether that is worth the wait..
sridharps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 20:37   #5
KMT
BHPian

European cars are the best for tall guys.
Helpful tip if you have long legs, please ensure steering has reach and rake adjustment and seat has height adjustment. That way you can stretch your legs and not hunch over the steering.
KMT is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 20:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Thank you..I heard that there is nextgen launch in 2020..am wondering whether that is worth the wait..
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
European cars are the best for tall guys.
Helpful tip if you have long legs, please ensure steering has reach and rake adjustment and seat has height adjustment. That way you can stretch your legs and not hunch over the steering.
Well worth the wait for the XUV - and maybe also for the Scorpio. On the other hand you'll get substantial discounts on BS4 vehicles quite soon so that's fine too. European cars are great but what is there that fits his budget among the various Europeans? Tiguan isn't as tall as a Scorpio for example and is 35L or so on road.
Old 20th November 2019, 22:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello, Wanted to get some suggestions from you as I am in the market looking for a new car:
- I 6ft 2''+ with long legs. I will be spending about 2.5hrs every day on the road in city traffic. So looking for a car that provides good comfort - under thigh support, lumbar support, leg room space etc
- Good performance
- Comfort for rear passengers as well. Should seat 2(tall) kids in comfort in the rear.
I would like to suggest the Hexa. My younger brother is 6 ft 3 inches tall and regularly drives the Hexa in city traffic without any problem. Mine is a manual though. Also the visibility offered from the drivers seat is great and helps in preplanning your moves in traffic. The automatic is the best gearbox amongst its rivals. Also you can go for the captain seat variant which would be extremely comfortable for 2 tall kids which you have mentioned. The overall ride comfort and seat comfort offered by Hexa is also easily the best in class.

So do check it out. With the current discounts being offered you can easily have one for just over 20 lakh rupees(XTA) thus saving you quite a lot of money.
ram87pune is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 23:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Try out the Innova Crysta diesel automatic (when it's available) it may fit you perfectly. Looks the next gen Innova is going to be a petrol hybrid only, diesels are going to be axed, read somewhere.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 20th November 2019 at 23:29.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 08:07   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car for a 6'2" tall driver - Budget of 25-27 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You could get a Scorpio or XUV
Agreed on the XUV500, but not the Scorpio which has a horribly packaged interior. It offers very poor cabin space for that kind of an exterior footprint.

Would suggest OP to wait for the next-gen XUV500 which has been spotted testing already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Looks the next gen Innova is going to be a petrol hybrid only, diesels are going to be axed, read somewhere.
Would be fake news. The Innova's diesel engines are going to be made BS6 compliant. It is generally easy for larger, more expensive cars in the BS6 era, but not the small cars competing in price sensitive segments.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 08:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
- Good performance

- Plan to keep my car for 10 years.
- Good A.S.S
- Max budget 25-27L OTR in Bangalore.

- Sedan or SUV - anything is fine
The cars I currently own are the Ford Fiesta 1.6SXi & Honda Jazz.
P.S - should I wait for some months since many BSVI vehicles will launch in 2020?
Skoda Superb prices have been slashed. If you can stretch by a couple of lacs or wait till March 2020, Superb Style AT will come in your budget. For a tall driver, what more do you want?
Lambydude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 10:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

I second Lambydude the Superb is a long sedan practically a limo. Im sure it will fit snugly in your budget, come with all the features you could ever want and most importantly, leave people in the backseat some leg-room even with your tall frame sitting up front
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 11:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In 2013, when all 6'4" of me was scouting for a suitable used car, Jose (who runs a super successful car lot in Springfield, Massachusetts) gave me these golden words of wisdom - "Tall dudes fit best into a long sedan. Very few SUVs ever suit tall people because then, the majority of the population wouldn't be able to drive them."

Think about it. The vast majority of the populace is for whom they would design their SUVs for. From experience and by sheer logic - SUVs won't suit you. On the other hand, long sedans have acres of horizontal space. All you have to do is slide the driving seat back, recline it as far as you find it comfortable, and voila! That actually works for me every singlt time.

Anyway, despite Jose's sound advice in 2013, I went onto buy a CSUV Just because I wanted one and for no other reason. And it's likely that I'll keep dooming myself even in the future with still bigger SUVs or MPVs.

Still - whenever I could when in the US, I would rent a long sedan (such as the Nissan Altima, which is rarely present on Indian roads as the Nissan Teana) and those long sedans indeed suited me the best. As for my CSUV, well, I've never admitted to anyone till date that it ill-suited me.

PS: Even my current TUV 300's stock driving position ill suits me. Don't tell anyone! I've made adjustments via an expensive imported cushion on top of which I sit, so as to get the optimum vertical clearance and to be comfortable. My 6'4" frame clearly needs a Skoda Superb...but my heart clearly wanted only a TUV 300.

Last edited by locusjag : 21st November 2019 at 11:30. Reason: A typo and some changes
locusjag is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 11:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
In 2013, when all 6'4" of me was scouting for a suitable used car, Jose (who runs a super successful car lot in Springfield, Massachusetts) gave me these golden words of wisdom - "Tall dudes fit best into a long sedan. Very few SUVs ever suit tall people because then, the majority of the population wouldn't be able to drive them."
I am tall but I also have a bad back due to whiplash around my neck and shoulders from an old accident in 2000. So, the erect posture I can get in a Scorpio suits me (or earlier, a Maruti Ritz that I owned). Long sedans - well you can recline your seat but the low slung posture would just leave me with a bad backache after a long highway drive. With the Scorpio, lack of interior space or not, I can do a full 12 hours of driving and still remain reasonably fresh.
hserus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 11:44   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I am tall but I also have a bad back due to whiplash around my neck and shoulders from an old accident in 2000. So, the erect posture I can get in a Scorpio suits me (or earlier, a Maruti Ritz that I owned). Long sedans - well you can recline your seat but the low slung posture would just leave me with a bad backache after a long highway drive. With the Scorpio, lack of interior space or not, I can do a full 12 hours of driving and still remain reasonably fresh.
That's great for you! There are SUVs that will suit each person but it depends...in which case, one would have to test drive each model and find out. I reckon for instance that the Ford Endeavour would suit me best among SUVs in India because it has both vertical and lengthwise clearance. But it is a small ballpark to choose from, with all the attendant pros/cons of a smaller field to choose from.

On a related note - In 2017 when I was asking a 30+ year (retired) Royal Enfield employee about which of their bikes would suit me - he pretty much said the same thing as Jose. He clearly told me to avoid the Thunderbird, Himalayan and the Classic models. He straightaway told me to go for the good old Bullet Std 350/Electra/Std 500 models. These older ones are taller and were clearly intimidating to the vast majority of the population in the past. So RE came out with the much shorter Classic and Himalayan with exactly that usability aspect in mind, aside from other obvious design and marketing considerations.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2019, 11:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, the Skoda Superb, which is a regular sedan, is not as practical for family use as its sibling, the Octavia. The Octavia is actually a hatchback with lots of room for passengers and has the hatchback flexibility to boot. Try it. I am over 6 feet tall myself and have found the VW Golf (on which the Octavia is based) to be more than comfortable.

Octavia has great dynamics and is priced exactly on your budget. The 1.8TSi is a stonker of an engine which might not continue beyond April 2020, so I would strongly suggest you go check out the Octavia petrol.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 21st November 2019 at 11:48.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed