Team-BHP > What Car?

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2019, 08:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Fun-to-drive car under 5.5 lakhs?

A lot of options brand new have been put out by variously BHP-ians. You should check them out. Do let me lend a hand in the used car space:
  • A second generation Maruti Suzuki Swift ZXI, preferably made around 2013 or 2014. The final facelift examples of 2016 and 2017 still commands a premium. I stress the "ZXI" part as it was the only variant at the time to have dual airbags with ABS, and multiple tests have shown it to have better brakes than LXI models.

• 3rd Gen "Arrow" Honda City: Still looks good, drives good. I don't find any need to personally vouch for the wonderful i-VTEC engine. ABS and Airbags were made standard, so you shouldn't worry on the variant. Would totally recommend it over Vento and Rapid petrol, as it's much reliable and would cost much much less to maintain.

• VW Polo: A hard one. On one hand, you get a great looking European hatchback, that is fun to drive. But, it's backed by mediocre 3 cylinder engines nowhere as smooth as that of Maruti or Hyundai. The 1.2 MPI is otherwise pretty adequate. If you're really lucky, you might stumble upon rare ones with Vento's 4 cylinder 1.6 MPI. Avoid the GT TSI, despite the 1.2 TSI, because DSG. The cost of maintenance and spare parts can be a downer.

• Honda Brio: Not the most good looking car ever made, but this I believe is the closest any carmaker has ever been into matching the Swift. Has a great engine which is reliable, and being a discontinued model; the asking prices should be lower. It sold reasonably well, so spare parts shouldn't be a problem.

• Toyota Etios 1.5: Yes, the early pre-facelift models were barebones, and looked boring. But I've seen nothing but glowing reviews for the 1.5 VVT-i, for it's low end performance and reliability. A good choice if you can look past the taxi image. Watch out for the TRD Sportivo Liva while you can.

• It is entirely possible that early 2013 Ecosport Titanium (because base variants of early models lacked basic safety features) could fit the specified price bracket. Much possible if you could stretch it. The most fun to drive option among the raised hatchback "crossover" segment. The 1.5 TDCI is really sweet.

• If you're willing to sacrifice a teensy bit of driving pleasure, I might suggest the previous Gen i20. Incredibly well built and well equipped, although the suspension and steering are notorious for being unstable on highways. Early models had steering rattle issues. Otherwise, a fine car.

Cheers!

Last edited by Sheel : 5th December 2019 at 10:19. Reason: Spacing out paragraphs for better readability.
Old 5th December 2019, 09:06   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

If you actually are going this path of an Outlander, then you might as well consider a Skoda Yeti 4x2 or even 4x4 as well as the Maruti S Cross 1.6.

Models from 2011-2012-2013 can easily be had for Rs 6 lacs and below. I personally vouch for the fact having owned it for 8 years, that the car is fantastic and is a serious performer with plenty of grunt and torque (140BHP VW TDI engine and 320NM of Torque in the 4x4 and 110 BHP VW TDI engine with about 280NM of Torque in the 4x2) - and the best thing is only serious people bought this car in the first place, so getting a well kept example within the 6 lac price range is not at all hard. The 110 BHP one in 4x2 was a very good car with a light clutch and great performance even in the traffic light Grand Prix situations!
Both of these with their wonderful build quality, will not even rattle, despite their age.

And then, there is the wonderful Maruti S Cross 1.6 (2WD only). This put out 120Bhp and 320Nm of Torque from that excellent 1.6 litre Diesel engine. Again not a common car so only serious people bought it in the first place. And even these can easily be had for a sub 6 Lac price in the used market. Another car which has the build quality comparable to the European Standards and you will encounter nary a rattle.

These cars have a low resale value - it is a criminal offence really, that the market here in India, absolutely disrespects this kind of car. But for those like us, this is advantageous, because you can get one at a nice price and hang on to it for a longer time and enjoy it!

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasanka_Sanga View Post
I think we have forgot to include the Mitsubishi Outlander to this thread.

Extremely refined driving, macho road presence, silent yet power-packed engine, 4WD which makes it city as well as off-road beast.

The best part of all is you can get a 2010 model with less than 50,000 KMS on the odo for under 6 lakhs.

I am sure, one will not regret their choice.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th December 2019 at 09:09.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 09:46   #33
BHPian

My suggestion will be Duster 110PS, has 250nm torque to keep you interested in city and highway. Comes with acres of space and the Diesel engine is really robust. With that suspension and ride quality, it’s a nice FTD car.
Plus you can abuse the car like you hate it and it will still serve you well. Newer models have less lag and you can find a nice 2014-2016 example for 5-5.5L.

Cheers!!
Old 5th December 2019, 09:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I personally vouch for the fact having owned it for 8 years, that the car is fantastic and is a serious performer with plenty of grunt and torque (140BHP VW TDI engine and 320NM of Torque in the 4x4 and 110 BHP VW TDI engine with about 280NM of Torque in the 4x2)
Read your threads about Yeti and posts are very reassuring. 4X4 is really tempting and the ones that are available in TN with low mileage are unbelievably overpriced. I could relate the feeling of those owners hesitant to let go their fantastic machines at lower (resale) prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would also strongly recommend the Figo / Freestyle 1.5L Diesel (used & new). It's a lot of fun.
How about Ameo highline TDI DSG?? Between Figo/Freestyle what would be the ideal option for Performance/Safety? Which one would be mod friendly (Remap/Suspension etc)
Old 5th December 2019, 10:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you actually are going this path of an Outlander, then you might as well consider a Skoda Yeti 4x2 or even 4x4 as well as the Maruti S Cross 1.6.
And then, there is the wonderful Maruti S Cross 1.6 (2WD only). This put out 120Bhp and 320Nm of Torque from that excellent 1.6 litre Diesel engine. Again not a common car so only serious people bought it in the first place. And even these can easily be had for a sub 6 Lac price in the used market. Another car which has the build quality comparable to the European Standards and you will encounter nary a rattle.
The S-Cross 1.6 is quite rare, and the ones who have it (including me ) are not willing to let it go at low prices. Most of the 1.6 S-Crosses I have seen selling in the 2nd hand market are at around 8-9 lakhs, and it sells mostly by word-of-mouth.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 11:48   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Read your threads about Yeti and posts are very reassuring. 4X4 is really tempting and the ones that are available in TN with low mileage are unbelievably overpriced. I could relate the feeling of those owners hesitant to let go their fantastic machines at lower (resale) prices)

Just as a pointer:

Do check OLX - there are one or two Yeti’s hanging around Coimbatore and Salem.

I let go of my Yeti at 6.25. Vipin Prasad (also on the forum) let go of his Yeti at 6.5.Both these were carefully maintained vehicles. Regrettable prices for such good vehicles.

The same logic goes for S Cross 1.6.

When we actually own a vehicle, our feeling is always that we will never let it go at an unfair price because we are emotionally attached and we know how carefully we’ve cared for the vehicle.

But when reality hits, things will tend to be different.

For example, I thought I could command 7 lacs or 7.25 for my Yeti - it was so well kept and all the preventive maintenance things done ahead of time too.

However, when it came to the crunch, the market decided the price it would accept and that was 6.25!

Frankly I would have hung on to it, but it is no longer of the right sort of use to me in the city, being a manual transmission with a pretty heavy clutch, and parking space is at a premium, hence I was forced to say bye. Keeping it parked and unused is criminal, so better it goes to someone who appreciates it. That car is meant to be driven and driven well.

I’m sure you will be able to find a good one if you spend time to hunt it up.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 22:21   #37
BHPian

Many people are suggesting the ford figo 1.5.If I get a figo then I will put in wider tyres and get a remap.

Quote:
I agree with many of the suggestions made here.
Hard to find a pre owned Tiago JTP, if I do then it should be great,I have heard a lot of good things about tata's new cars. Swift I am not really keen and I plan to get a gypsy later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
So expect good amount of discounts on old stocks too.
I have driven the ignis but did not like the dynamics and quality of the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Accord 3.0 V6. It will guzzle gas and maintenance may not be as cheap as the others listed here, but it can put an amazing smile on your face.
It can put a smile on my face but does not cover my other requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you're in the mood for a zippy little hatchback, then try out the old 1.6 petrol manual Fabia. More roomy than a Polo and definitely the most mature hot hatch to come to our country.
Kizashi is an interesting option but won't spares be an issue in the future.

Even with the fabia wouldn't spare parts be an issue in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvdangi View Post
Skoda Laura 1.8 checks all your boxes, if you know a good mechanic then the maintenance shouldn't be very expensive as well.
I love the laura 1.8 tsi but I am guessing the maintenance for 8 year old Skoda will be high,I had a laura diesal in past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd suggest a Honda City 1.5L petrol or the newest Civic you can buy. Both have lovely engines, are mod-friendly and fun to high-revv.
I am looking for the newest civic I can find, the car looks timeless and has a high revving engine which I really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
What can be more fun than this. 300 Nm of torque is absolute fun. And Polo is a safe car as well. No other in this price range can be considered safe. Agreed you can buy a Swift 1.3 and mod it. But that will take effort and a lot of time.
Sadly the polo is now sold but looking for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprashant View Post
How about a Chevy Cruze? You can get one pretty cheap and that torquey engine has its upside. On the other hand reliability might not be its strong point.

Also a pre owned Accord V6 might be spicy yet cheap to procure.
Is the chevy cruze easy to maintain after the company left the country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Can understand your confusion. Was in a similar position, however had only one car in my mind, which was the Civic. Got a very very nicely maintained car way under the budget that you have specified. Brings a smile to my face after every drive.
I am also thinking of getting a civic,any major repairs you have had to do after getting the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
Like some others here, I also found the Ignis to be fun to drive. Not the most well built car, but I loved revving the engine and putting it through the paces. Would like your take on this too.
I have a 1.5 automatic figo in the family and it is a good car to drive.I stay from maruti nowadays because of their build quality hence not keeping the ignis in my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyDanger View Post
A lot of options brand new have been put out by variously BHP-ians. You should check them out. Do let me lend a hand in the used car space:
I feel the civic would be a better option then the 3rd gen honda city for almost the same price. Ecosport has good engine options but do not want a compact SUV,will look into the etios.

Quote:
These cars have a low resale value - it is a criminal offence really, that the market here in India, absolutely disrespects this kind of car. But for those like us, this is advantageous, because you can get one at a nice price and hang on to it for a longer time and enjoy it!
S cross 1.6 and the yeti are good cars indeed but I want to stick to sedans or hatchbacks.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 6th December 2019 at 02:55. Reason: Trimmed the posts inside quotes for better readability
jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 00:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanttalwar View Post
Kizashi is an interesting option but won't spares be an issue in the future.

Even with the fabia wouldn't spare parts be an issue in the future?
The Kizashi is mostly owned by showroom owners, and other big reps from Maruti/Suzuki so they would never dream of disappointing any owner with a lack of spares even in the future because all these guys have no other car that they can buy from the brand to replace the Kizashi. I have personally had quite a few obscure parts also replaced down to the memory seat function switch also with no hassles.

Sourcing VAG parts is never going to be an issue. Several parts are in use in other cars that are still in the market from engine parts down to even interior bits and bobs. There is a huge international VAG fan-base community including in our own country so part sourcing whether it be original or oem or aftermarket upgrades, is not going to be an issue.

I recommended both based on personal experience. The Kizashi was owned and extensively used by myself with loads of interaction with the brand, its representatives and service personnel, Fabia was owned by a close friend of mine and I have seen way too many guys buy beat up old VAG cars and restore them way too easily. Parts are never an issue for VAG cars.

Either way, if you're one of those who feels he must choose the safest option, I think someone here mentioned the Etios Liva 1.5 petrol. I feel that is definitely the safest option if you find one in good shape. Simple car, with loads of performance and ability

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th December 2019 at 01:15.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 04:57   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanttalwar View Post
S cross 1.6 and the yeti are good cars indeed but I want to stick to sedans or hatchbacks.
Indeed, both the S Cross 1.6 and the Yeti are Hatchbacks! Just slightly larger, of higher quality/trim levels, more functional as well as feature loaded than the conventional hatch back but not too much larger really...
Old 6th December 2019, 16:53   #40
BHPian

A Brand new Swift LXi.
It's Rs. 5.9Lacs on road. But with the current discounts, it will cost you below 5.5 Lacs on road.
Not sure about the structural safety, but on paper it's got 2 Airbags and ABS. Fun to drive, compact yet highway-capable, very affordable in maintenance, etc etc.
Old 30th December 2019, 12:48   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Am here having sold the Palio GTX after a good 5 years of mixed experience ownership. The car never stranded me and I had the longest trip (Kottayam - Mumbai) in it. Had a lot of issues it being an old model but I still managed to source new / good parts as preventive maintenance.

I have a budget of 6L tops for my next car. Am going to throw open on the 'body style'. The car is going to be primarily for highways and a diesel preferred (though this can be relaxed based on the right fit).

LOCATION: CHENNAI (Resale is higher in South India, so we dont get a lot of 'cheap' pre-owned cars.

MUST HAVE !!

- Should be safe with ABS & atleast 2 airbags
- NO Tin cans

GOOD TO HAVE

- Comfortable tourer
- Will be a solo traveller most of the times
- Decent FE

- a fun car in its own right (not a scorching handler type, the car will be pushed based on its capabilities, an SUV will be driven the way it should be and not like a low slung sedan).

- Reliability - dont want something which cant do 2L kms without much problem.
- Service will most likely be done at capable independent garages, so not worried about A$$ availability / capability.
- Prefer a keeper - not a big fan of selling cars every 5 years or so if it's working fine.

- The vehicle should be capable of doing 120 - 140 kmph all day in comfort and without any nervousness when the traffic conditions are favourable.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th December 2019 at 13:58. Reason: Merged point from additional post as requested.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 14:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
MUST HAVE !!
- NO Tin cans

GOOD TO HAVE
- Comfortable tourer
- Decent FE
Few suggestions from my side-
1) Ford Ecosport Tdci (best bet) .
2) Tata Bolt/Zest 75ps versions, should be easily available under 6L.
3) 2014 Scorpio MHawk( Bhpian hserus sir, may have some special advise).

Suggesting only high GC cars as IMHO they are better suited for touring purposes despite the roads being good in South India.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 15:04   #43
BHPian

I am now thinking about getting a 2011-13 manual civic, looking for a good example now. The civic covers most of my requirements.
Old 30th December 2019, 19:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a budget of 6L tops for my next car.

LOCATION: CHENNAI (Resale is higher in South India, so we dont get a lot of 'cheap' pre-owned cars.

MUST HAVE !!
- NO Tin cans
Did you mean 6L OTR or ex-showroom? New car or used?

If new, the only diesel car around 6L that might be able to do 120-140 is probably Figo/Freestyle ambiente/trend trims. Gem of an engine that 1.5 TDCi and fulfills all of your requirements to the T. With ongoing discounts you might be able to get one around your budget.

Since you are already experienced with a Fiat, how about a punto 1.3 MJD 90HP one? That's a solid tank. However not sure if they still sell those.

That's only for new, but if you are open for used, am sure you will have a whole gamut of options

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th December 2019 at 19:37.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 20:32   #45
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a budget of 6L tops for my next car. Am going to throw open on the 'body style'. The car is going to be primarily for highways and a diesel preferred (though this can be relaxed based on the right fit).

MUST HAVE !!

- NO Tin cans

GOOD TO HAVE

- Comfortable tourer
- Decent FE

- The vehicle should be capable of doing 120 - 140 kmph all day in comfort.
I would say that the 2015-2016 Aspire and the Figo Titanium diesels would be the best bet. Do note that the initial Trend variants didn't come with ABS so you would want to avoid them. Another Ford in your budget would be the Ecosport diesel(Titanium) but I wouldn't suggest it as under your budget, you would mostly find the 2013-2014 models with high running.

Other options would be 2014-2015 i20 Asta diesel(initial Sportz variants came with a single airbag). The 1.4 CRDi is quite a punchy engine and is close third among the diesels below 10L, bested only by the Ford and the VW. The 2015 Jazz SV/V is another option, but I'd rather prefer the i20.

I would have suggested the previous gen Amaze as well, but it's top speed is electronically limited to 140Kmph if that matters to you. Even if we neglect this factor, I would prefer the Aspire over the Amaze.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed