Team-BHP > What Car?
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:06   #1
BHPian

Fun-to-drive car under 5.5 lakhs?

We need a manual car for 5-5.5 lakhs.The car will be doing 30-40 kilometres in Delhi everyday.The car should not be very expensive to maintain ,safe, have mod potential and most importantly put a smile on my face when I drive it.No particular requirements as we have more cars for family and highway use.

Cars considered -

Polo GT TDI

Good engine, german build quality with a lot of potential.

Have hardly found any in the used market,looking for the facelift models after 2014. Found one on the team bhp classifieds.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...gen/Polo.html/

I talked to the owner and the car has been remapped to 130 bhp and 300 nm and all service records are available. Is it a good buy?

Honda civic

After reading many threads on the old civic I am willing to buy a 2011-12 manual petrol civic which will give me less FE and will be more expensive to maintain compared to other options but then I think that these cars are a dying breed.Also love those VTEC engines

Ford Figo 1.5 tdci

Like the power and torque on tap but handling and build quality is not as good as the older generation.

Fiat abarth or Linea t jet

Hard to find in the used market, not as reliable as other options but will be a pure driving experience thus considering it.

Any insight / help / advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd December 2019 at 15:00. Reason: Minor edits for better readability.
jayanttalwar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Fun-to-drive car under 5.5 lakhs?

Consider Tiago/Tigor JTP and may be Baleno RS as well.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:10   #3
BHPian

A used JTP may fit your requirement. The only issue is to find one that isn't abused and not many may want to sell them, yet.
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Gen 1 Swift with 1.3 Petrol engine.
Try for a ZXi, and then you can spend the spare cash on mods.
silverado is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:26   #5
Team-BHP Support

A couple of threads:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...s-less-53.html (ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedan...r-8-lakhs.html (A fun-to-drive car under 8 lakhs?)
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Gen 1 Swift with 1.3 Petrol engine.
Try for a ZXi, and then you can spend the spare cash on mods.
I had a used Gen 1 Swift Vxi for 2 years. I know that its 1.3L petrol engine was from the Esteem. I'm curious to know if that engine is to be considered a great one. Mine was great to drive as an overall package of course; I had no complaints at all with its power or handling. The 1.3L engine gave way to the 1.2L Kappa engine I think in 2011-12...
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Consider Tiago/Tigor JTP and may be Baleno RS as well.
The baleno RS would have been a good buy but want to stay away from maruti because of the build quality and lack of safety.

I could not find any Tiago JTP for sale in delhi
jayanttalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would go for Figo Diesel in Titanium or Titanium plus variant. Sweet engine, good steering and handling, practical car with good FE too Ford doesn't have good resale value, so might be easy to find one within this budget too.

Polo would be a good choice if usage is minimum. Good car both in 1.5 diesel and 1.2 TSI options. BUT I see that you have mentioned that car shouldn't be expensive to maintain, have had a polo for few years, would be a good idea to skip this one.

Last edited by giri1.8 : 3rd December 2019 at 14:12.
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:21   #9
BHPian

I would suggest a new swift Lxi. You'll get a brand new car with warranty and peace of mind. Service and spares support of a Maruti and that sweet 1.2 petrol. It can also be modified as options are plenty in the market.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:36   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I agree with many of the suggestions made here.
If I were you I would consider the following;

1. Tata Tiago JTP for sure - thats as close to a hot hatch as we have today in our market at that price range.
2. A used Maruti Swift ZXi Petrol and spend a goodly sum of money “doing it up” mechanically as well as otherwise.
3. My own addition here would be a Maruti Gypsy (probably because I have one as my “hobby car” - and one can indeed seriously “do it up” with some good quality and street legal performance modifications and become good to go.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 15:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanttalwar View Post

I could not find any Tiago JTP for sale in delhi
Is your budget flexible? You may get a new Tiago JTP for 7 on-road in Delhi after discounts.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:32   #12
KPR
BANNED

A brand new 1.2 Petrol Ignis delta variant at 6L. It ticks inexpensive to maintain, mod potential, manual, super reliable better 4 cylinder petrol, dual airbags, ABS standard across all variants. Yes it's quirky but I can vouch as an owner that this design grows on you. If you mod it tastefully it can give you excellent results. Some google search will tell you how tasteful sticker works can change the look of this car . The biggest plus in this car is that it isn't selling great. So expect good amount of discounts on old stocks too.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Accord 3.0 V6. It will guzzle gas and maintenance may not be as cheap as the others listed here, but it can put an amazing smile on your face.
pganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 19:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

I would say stick to petrol. The Kizashi is a dammed good option in manual guise (from personal ownership experience ). More reliable and easier to maintain than you might think. Maruti folks at every service center try their level best to do what you ask of them when you drive up in the car.

If you're in the mood for a zippy little hatchback, then try out the old 1.6 petrol manual Fabia. More roomy than a Polo and definitely the most mature hot hatch to come to our country.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 23:02   #15
BHPian

My vote would be for the 1.3 Swift, they are cheap and with the money saved you can get it tuned to make it even peppier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks